Lowell, MA
University of Massachusetts-Lowell

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Massachusetts-Lowell

Maggie

I really like it. It's has that suburban feel but still is located in a city so it's convenient. People seem really excited when they hear that I go to UML and they're not afraid to ask me questions based on my experience. I spend most of time on South campus and hate going to North. Mainly because English majors are based on South while Mathematics and Science majors are placed on North, so there is a bit of a separation of interests there. I wouldn't really consider it a college town, it's more of a busy city. The biggest recent controversy on campus probably has to do with all the new buildings that are being created on campus. I lot of people seem to really enjoy it, but they would have rather had a parking garage done first. I think there's a lot of school pride because it's a great school and it has great programs. Something that I'll always remember is the sheer amount of zombie players on campus! It's crazy watching them play during the game. People get really into it. The most frequent student complaint that I hear about is parking, particularly in winter. I haven't had that problem yet, simply because my classes start really early in the morning. We'll see by next semester.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Oh, this is a hard one. I guess, I'll tell you about the scholarship dinner I attended this semester. It was the first time that they were doing it so, I was really nervous about meeting my donor. Anyways, I didn't particularly want to drive to the ICC so I had decided to take the bus. I keep double checking I was on the right one, having never been on the particular route. I arrived about 15 minutes before it started but couldn't find the room where they were hosting it and went to go ask the woman at the front desk. Turns out that I was a week early for the event, it wasn't until next week. I was so embarrassed, but apparently I wasn't the only one---then I didn't feel as bad. So, I had to take the bus back to South campus and went home. I have no classes on that day of the week. Turns out I went to school for nothing though it did turn into a good story later.

Describe a typical weekend.

For me, I usually spend it studying and or going to fundraising dinners. I don't really go to school unless I have to pick up or drop something off or if there's a show going on.

I love seeing students our in the field playing games like Zombies and frisbee. Not to mention, everyone who sells things for fundraising. Everyone is really open and friendly. It's great to see people having fun.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

I don't normally eat too much on campus, but the Dining Hall on South is pretty awesome since it's all you can eat and offers a variety of options for you're taste buds. There's also Subway and a new Starbucks on this side of the river too. North is a bit more tricky. There's a Dunkin Donuts across the street and at least two small pick up places where you can have ready-to-heat meals and coffee but, no real place where you can eat and enjoy yourself.

The variety of students and their interests. I've seen some people go from taking about Aristotle to playing a game of Zombies to selling backed goods. It's never a dull moment when you people watch on campus--unless it's finals week, then it's pretty quiet.

When you step off campus what do you see?

On South campus, a huge new building being made and lots of greenery. On North campus, lots of cars and traffic.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Well, we're the river hawks and our colors are blue, red, and white. When you think of our school it's mostly about hockey or softball than football or other, more popular sports. You can watch the softball team practice if you're on South in Dugan's classrooms. They're music choices for practice are pretty epic.

It's definitely not what you expect for a college in the city. It looks more like a country college than anything. South campus is more green and spacious while North campus feels more urban. New buildings are being made while others the grounds are worked on so there are always new things to see. We also have some tunnels (that I've never seen), but I've been told are kinda mysterious and exciting.

What are your classes like?

They're pretty great. Once I finished my gen ed courses, I got to really take classes tailored for my major and get a feel for what I want for a career.

Most of my professor knew or know me by name which is great because I feel that I can talk to them and they'll know what I'm struggling with. My favorite class---probably my Gothic Traditions in Literature class last semester. We read some awesome books and everybody was always ready to give their feedback on the readings. I don't particular like my science classes as I struggle with math and a lot of them require heavy mathematics skills. Spanish class was also one that I dreaded going to because I don't think that my professors really knew how to teach it in a way that was engaging for students. I see a lot of students studying on campus usually in the O'Leary library or the student center. The most unique class---play production. You basically build the set for the upcoming show for that semester. It's a lot of work and takes a good chunk of your time, but you really learn a lot. I think that the school's academic requirements are good and fair for the most part, but it can be really frustrating if you don't know how to use ISIS to help you or your adviser can't answer your questions. This school is very geared to getting a job inside of your major. Career services is free for students and is there for you to help you get a job and you can even use them after you graduate!

I don't really think that there's a stereotype at my school anymore. I mean, we have such a variety of students and majors that really everyone is so different. I really can't think of my school as a place that caters to only one type of student.

Diannely

The best thing about going to school at UMass Lowell is the diverse community. Campus is located near historic downtown where there are a wide variety of shops, restaurants, and bars. There is always something to do in Lowell. UMass Lowell as hosts many events at the Tsongas Center including concerts from pop stars like Drake and school sports. UMass Lowell is well-known for their outstanding hockey team, the River Hawks. Students go to all of the home games for free! One of the things that I would change about UMass Lowell would be the recent lack of parking on campus. As the student population increases, parking spaces are decreasing. But the University has been working out this issue by providing shuttles from different campuses and creating satellite lots throughout the city.

UMass Lowell is composed of a diverse student population. You will find students from all religious walks and races. There are Muslims, Christians, agnostics, atheists, Jews, all co-existing on one campus. The University also hosts different foreign exchanges, opening its doors to students from all over the world. The students range from all different financial backgrounds, from those on the bottom of the economic totem pole to the very top. Most students are very proud of their school and wear it on their sleeves, walking around campus in their UMass Lowell sweatshirts and tees. But there is still room for the fashion forward, especially those on the Liberal Arts campus. Goths, gossip girls, and geeks all strut their stuff.

Since UMass Lowell was originally an engineering school, the stereotypical student is an engineering major. However, UMass Lowell has a wide variety of students, from geeks to hippies, each unique in their own ways.

Nicholas

There are a lot of things to enjoy about the University of Massachusetts at Lowell. The best thing about this school would have to be that the class sizes, in my experience, have been kept small in order to have better instruction and make you feel more a part of the class. People have heard about UML because it ranks pretty decently for academics within the area and for a state school. I spend most of my time on UML South because I am an English Major and Philosophy Major, both majors which have classes mostly on South. There is a lot of school pride and you see many people frequently wearing the school apparel, but I would not consider it a college town really, the campus' are roughly three miles apart and it feels more open than other campus'. The school's administration seems to be doing very well with organization and expansion of the college. However, one thing I would like to see improved or changed at UML is the parking on both UML North especially, but South could improve as well. One thing that I will always remember from UML is going to the play, The Laramie Project, which was supposed to be bigoted by the Westboro Baptist Church; luckily they did not show.

I am unsure if the professors at the University know my name, but I have made quite a few connections that seem special and worthwhile at UML. My favorite classes have been a split, between my English classes with the professor Todd Avery and then multiple different philosophical classes with various professors, ranging from Carol Hay to Christa Hodapp, very cool, lenient professors that play the role of a professor fair and hard, but not strict and stringent. My least favorite classes have been Intro to Technology and Human Values and God & Philosophy, for various different reasons, I did not like the professor's teaching methods and the classes seemed not as full of energy as others I have taken at the University. Students seem to study quite a bit. Class participation is always encouraged and for the majority of my classes it has been a huge area and people always take a great interest in the class. I have carried conversations with many students outside of class about the class material in most of my classes. The most unique class I have taken has probably been the metaphysics class I am currently in. I have talked with many professors outside of class and they always provide useful and friendly feedback. The education at the school seems to be geared toward learning for its own sake, but I think that is the best way to acquire a job; learn for its sake and then apply that knowledge that you have acquired without a hidden agenda to the real world.

The stereotype at the University of Massachusetts @ Lowell would have to be hipsters. It seems to be accurate from the past two years of experience I have accumulated here at UML. You will consistently, especially on UML South, see kids with neck-beards, black thick-framed box-rim glasses, plaid, skinny jeans, etc. I have taken about an equal amount of classes on UML South and North and it seems to be a popular trend to have a hipster style here at UMass Lowell

Chelsea

In my opinion, the best thing about the University of Massachusetts Lowell is its wide variety of opportunities. There are so many majors and minors, not to mention tons of extracurricular activities, clubs, and sports. Anyone can find somewhere to fit in here. The school is a perfect size to me, especially because it is split up into three different campuses. It's organized according to specific classes, but there are always new people to see. When I tell people that I attend UML, I get a good reaction. The university has created a wonderful reputation for itself despite being located in a busy city. It's run well and has fantastic professors who are always open for discussions. I can tell that students are extremely proud of this school, based on their attendance at sporting events and the constant presence UML clothing. The most unusual thing about this school is the separated campuses, but once you get used to it, it's not really a problem. I'll always remember going to the UMass Lowell Symphonic Band Camp one summer. It was the experience that changed me and helped me to decide that this was the school I wanted. As for complaints, it's usually about the food (but hey, it's college), though they definitely have more choices than your average high school. There are a bunch of places to eat in the city within walking or bus distance, though. Overall, I love this school. It was my top choice and I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

What are your classes like?

Depending on what class you take will make, the class size will be smaller or larger. Lecture classes will be bigger in size than say a College Writing class. The professors are attentive to your questions, and they stick to their class plans. Not every student enjoys lecture classes, but most classes are entertaining. They are a comfortable environment where UMass Lowell students feel safe to speak out.

Even though I'm only a freshman at the University of Massachusetts Lowell, I have found that all my professors knew my name in class despite the number of students. My favorite and most interesting class was called Lowell as Text. I like to describe it as a half-seminar, half-field-trip. The class revolved around taking site visits in the city and doing assignments based on what we found. It was very interesting and I learned more about Lowell than I ever thought I would, not to mention the fact that I had amazing professor. As for my least favorite, I did not like The Modern World very much. It was a history course where I sat and took notes for fifty minutes three times a week, and it wasn't exactly the most interesting class. I work in the library, so I see students studying there often, especially because our first floor is brand-new. The common room on my dorm floor is always filled with people working too. Most of my colleagues participate in classes and I see study groups everywhere. I'm an English Literature major and will be minoring in Education next fall. I've met a lot of the professors in the department and they are all extremely helpful in and outside of class. I often receive emails asking if I need assistance, so it feels good to know that they are there if I need help. So far, I have not needed to consult my professors outside of class, but they have office hours if need be. There are definitely a lot of requirements, but if you complete them in freshman and sophomore year, then you have so many options afterwards. I took a lot of Advanced Placement courses in high school and that helped to get rid of some of my requirements. As for the education at this school, I am indeed learning a lot, but I know for sure that the school will help me find a job as I move towards graduation.

At the University of Massachusetts Lowell, there are a variety of stereotypes. For example, music and art students are easy to spot, since they are often seen carrying large instruments or portfolios. I feel as though the athletes are somewhat more difficult to find, since nearly everyone sports some sort of clothing representing the school at one point or another. You'll also see people gathered by the entrances to buildings, smoking cigarettes. Geeks are pretty common, too, especially during the Humans vs. Zombies season. However, it is normally difficult to predict a person's stereotype based on their appearance. There are many more stereotypes in addition the few I mentioned, some more subtle than others, but they all contribute to UML's diversity.

Hemmilly

This school offered a degree portfolio of an university but was situated in a setting not as urban as that of many cities.

Going back in time would allow me to teach myself a few useful things. First, I would encourage me to actively participate in extracurricular activities. I would tell me to be part of clubs and organizations in order to be more involved. I know now that much of the aid available for students going to college are merit based, so I believe this would increase my chances of being awarded scholarships and grants. I would also focus more time in researching these grants and scholarships. As a high school student, I did not have a clear idea of how expensive a college degree could be, so I found myself having to take multiple breaks in order to save money to pay my tuition. Scholarships and grants could have significantly helped me finance my education. Another advice I would give myself would be to carefully consider all the cost and benefits before choosing a school. I would tell myself to take a holistic look at the school, including tuition price, admission process, school size and financial aid process. Taking these matters into consideration helps to make an informed decision.

A person who is not hard working and motivated.

If I were able to go back and talk to myself, I would tell myself a couple different things. The first thing that I would tell myself is that Ishould never let anything seperate me from my morals. I am a wonderful Christian girl who deserves to do the very best for herself. The second thing that I would tell myself is to never let people or circumstances stand in the way of me getting my education. The third thing I would tell myself is that I am good at what I do, but there is always going to be someone who can do better; challenge yourself to become the best, and when you think you are the best, do better. The last thing I would tell myself is that other people in this world have been through hardships like myself. Make sure that you are a beacon of God's love, and show that person that person that they can overcome the hardships put into their lives also. If I could go back and tell myself these things I would not regret a thing in my time here at college.

Andrew

Much has changed in the last few years. I would tell my past self to follow my dreams, my passions. To not get caught up in worrying about how much money my specific career choice would profit. To do what I love to do, because I love doing it. I would also tell myself to avoid distractions, to take my work seriously and to put everything I have into my education. To find friends who share my interests, goals, and dreams. To fill my mind with knowledge that I can appreciate and use to benefit myself and others. I would encourage myself to wisely utilize my newly acquired freedoms to accomplish all of these things. Much has changed within me in the last few years, for the better.

I like the way the campus is set up all over the city. Lowell is small enough that the buildings are super far from each other, but it gives you a chance to see all parts of the city, especially the historical parts.

I would advise myself to have more fun, especially during my first year since that was the easiest. I would also advise myself to find a good study spot other than my room because in my room it is easy to get sucked into watching TV, etc on my computer. Additionally I would have looked more into the kitchen facilities at a school. This is important because I have a food intolerance, however I didn't know that coming into college so at the time it wouldn't have mattered and if I never had the food intolerance it probably wouldn't have mattered as well. I would have not held so long onto bad friendships. I would advise myself to stand up for myself and not let people walk over me. In college it's easy to want to be liked and to fit into a group right away and so it's easy to get sucked into a bad friend group.

That there aren't a lot of options for continuing education in terms of when the classes are offered. Would have liked for continuing ed to have not only night classes but also day classes. It is more expensive to take day classes because you are considered an undergraduate student and so have to pay all the additional fees, even if you are a non-degree student.

Samuel

I have visited many schools both before and during my time at Umass Lowell and I can safely say that I am extremely glad I came here. While I have been to some schools I liked better, there have been none that are as affordable, I might not get the absolute best but I do get a fantastic college experience with out having to take out loans. One great thing about this school is that if something is bad, it won't be long until it is fixed. The current biggest complaint is that the dining halls are not good enough. The administration is highly dedicated to providing the best they can for the students and since hearing these complaints have decided to completely renovate the dining hall.

Describe the dorms.

As a Resident Adviser I have a deep knowledge of life on campus. Umass Lowell offers many different housing options. Our standard rooms are similar to what you would find in most colleges except they are generally larger than the average dormitory. There is also apartment style housing, as well as the ICC. The Inn and Conference Center was a hotel which Umass Lowell purchased and converted into a residence hall, students at the ICC enjoy queen beds, air conditioning, and personal bathrooms. The Residence Life staff is comprised of student like myself and administration who are devoted to ensuring each student has a great college experience by putting on programs or by simply being a resource to any students who need help.

One of the most popular events on campus is watching the hockey team. Umass Lowell purchased the Tsongas Center from the city of Lowell and it is now the home rink of our D1 Hockey team. Tickets are free to students so attendance is high, and school spirit is even higher. Concerts are also often held at the Tsongas center of big name artists.

The students at Umass Lowell are very diverse, however there are no cliques, the tables in the dining hall are just as likely to be filled with jocks as they are with nerds and you will often find them sitting together. In the universe of movies every college must have groups of jocks and nerds and artists, and they all hate each other. At Umass Lowell no one really cares. The closest thing you will find to a divide is between the people here for a degree and the people who are genuinely interested in their academics, but this is mainly due to scheduling conflicts. The truth is that it doesn't matter what your interests are because you will make friends with anyone and everyone.

Academics are taken very seriously at Umass Lowell. All the professors already have their doctorates so you rarely get stuck with just a T.A. The professors are very accessible and great teachers. The class sizes are also kept small especially the honors classes which are limited to 20 students a class. This is done so that students who are devoted to learning are ensured plenty of time from the professor. There are academic clubs for almost every major which helps foster learning between students. Umass Lowell also offers Living Learning Communities where students of the same major can live together to promote learning in groups and improve grades.

The common misconception about Umass Lowell is that just because it is inexpensive it is a bad school. This could not be more untrue, Umass Lowell has been called 'The poor man's MIT' because of its exceptional value. Despite being a state school Umass Lowell was ranked 56th in the entire nation by the NY times.

James

At first, I felt like a stranger on my campus and a bit alienated from my peers. I had lived in the same house my whole life, and moving away to college was a bit jarring. But as I deepened my involvement with the university, I began to feel like UMass Lowell was my home. The university has taken great strides in recent years: new buildings are springing up and old buildings in the city of Lowell are being acquired, renovated, and retooled for student use. Not only is it doing a tremendous job of educating the students who attend it, it’s proving integral to the revitalization of a blighted urban area – and what’s happening at the university is just as exciting. The chance to learn with renowned faculty, the opportunity to become a student leader on campus, and the benefits of earning a degree in particular from this world-class institution makes me feel like attending UML was one of the greatest experiences of my life. It is a place I will always treasure and remember, and my opinion of it couldn’t be higher.

The stereotype that really haunts the University of Massachusetts Lowell is the idea that it’s a safety school – a place that prospective students choose if they’re unable to get into the school that they initially chose. In some cases that happens to be true, but in my experiences talking with students and listening and learning from them, UMass Lowell has become a second home and an experience that they wouldn’t trade for any other university they could imagine. The educational opportunities and the campus life offer students so much, and the Times of London and US News and World Reports recently ranked the university in the top 200 tier internationally, which basically means one thing: this “safety school” is an internationally renowned, world-class institution that more students are attending now than ever before.

Starting answering!I have a particularly special take on the students at UMass Lowell, as I recently won election for student trustee to represent the Lowell campus on the UMass Board of Trustees. During my campaign, I got to take a close up look at the many faces that comprise UML: black, white, Latino, Asian, straight, gay, rich, poor, and all the folks in between. I remain truly in awe of the diversity at my school: it is a more accurate reflection of what our country is than many other private universities, and I think of it as a great source of our strength as a college as well as a community. I’m hard pressed to think of any kind of student who would feel out of place at UML considering the student clubs and organizations on our campus that offer both a wide variety and vibrant student life.

I’m currently a double major in Criminal Justice and Political Science, so I have a unique perspective on academics at my university. Classes can get stressful from time to time, there’s no denying that: but each has the potential to be not only informative, but engaging and enjoyable. I’ve taken classes that have ranged from well defined course outlines with weekly assignments to classes that involve more discussion than anything else, and they all have something to offer you. Professors are certainly set apart from your average high school teachers, as they recognize the fact that it’s up to you to complete assignments and take responsibility for yourself more so than in high school. All in all, academics are a step up from what you’re used to, but at the end of the day you’re learning the kind of material that makes you rise to the occasion.

The stereotype that really haunts the University of Massachusetts Lowell is the idea that it’s a safety school – a place that prospective students choose if they’re unable to get into the school that they initially chose. In some cases that happens to be true, but in my experiences talking with students and listening and learning from them, UMass Lowell has become a second home and an experience that they wouldn’t trade for any other university they could imagine. The educational opportunities and the campus life offer students so much, and the Times of London and US News and World Reports recently ranked the university in the top 200 tier internationally, which basically means one thing: this “safety school” is an internationally renowned, world-class institution.

University of Massachusetts-Lowell administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.