Lowell, MA
University of Massachusetts-Lowell

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Massachusetts-Lowell

I Love UMass Lowell for it's diversity, campus and city life, and everything it has to offer.

Most people would reply to this question in boring essay form and give a monotonous speech on keeping a hard work ethic, to do your homework, and be friendly to meet new people. Don't get me wrong, these things are crucial to success in a new college environment. However, it is the little things-the littlest pieces of advice that all come together to make the most of your college expierience. It is how to learn life's little lessons that all high school seniors should be prepared for. As a high school senior, I would want to know to stock up on easy mac and ramen noodles and to always take the shuttle thirty minutes early to not be late for class. To always leave your door open in hopes of meeting a new companion. To keep energy drinks on hand to keep up with hours of late night studying. To say hello to at least three new people every day. To treasure each and every moment. To manage my time and stay focused rather than party. To budget my money wisely! Most importantly, to work hard and play harder. The little advice always matters most after all.

The most frustrating thing about U Lowell is how far away the campuses are from each other. You have to take the shuttle for certain classes on different campuses and they sometimes take forever to come. You really have to plan your schedule promptly and accordingly to not be late for class, which adds a whole new stress load to one's plate on a daily basis.

Patrick

The University of Massachsetts-Lowell is a great place to learn and grow.

The University of Massachsetts-Lowell is a great place to learn and grow.

Patrick, you need to learn how to manage your time. You also need to figure out what you are good at, and where you want to work now so you dont waste any time in college. Keep studying hard and the world is yours!

The type of person that should attend this school is an intellgent, open minded, brave person.

The main piece of advice that I would give myself as a high school senior would be to start preparing early for a future career. I was so caught up in the excitement of senior year and finally graduating that I did not give nearly enough attention to what I really wanted for my future career and where I wanted to attend college. If I had taken this advice as a high school senior, I would be much farther in my college journey and that much closer to achieving my desired career. Because this advice was not given to me, I have undergone many setbacks college because I couldn’t decide on the right career for me and what school would be best in helping to reach my aspired career. Although I have been delayed a few times, I am still working hard and am fully dedicated to my future goals.

Maggie

I would tell myself to do more research into colleges that offer architecture and those that have NCAA Division II athletics, to be sure that my final choice was well-decided. I would tell myself to put more effort toward applying for scholarships, because money does not come easily. Because I wanted to run for my college, I would meet in person with the running coaches and arrange to attend a practice with the team and spend a night on campus before I make my decision. As a high school senior, I did well academically, so I would not have to remind myself to keep up my grades. However, I would tell myself to read more over the summer before college to better maintain the vocabulary and comprehension skills that I had acquired over my schooling. Also for the summer following senior year, I would encourage myself to meet more of my classmates and not stick so much to my usual group, and overall to stay in better contact with my classmates, so that I might still have better relationships with them now in college. Although going back in time would be helpful, I am content with my senior year.

Maggie

Always, always sign up for classes early and finish general education courses first. Follow deadlines for financial aid and if possible, get them done early. Learn more about the professors and the textbooks for classes before signing up if possible.

someone who's used to small schools and doesn't like learning about the school on their own

the cost and a few of the classes; like my gothic literature class

Gina

I would have to be very careful about the advice I would give. I have lived a good part of a lifetime already. Any change, no matter how small, could have drastic effects on my life now. I have difficulty even hypothesizing with the existance of my children weighing in the balance. I could not bring myself to mention anything that would fix the reasons I did not go the college right after high school. Be that as it may, I would have to take the chance to tell myself that, "Opportunities will present themselves along the way. Do not let fear of failure keep you from trying. It will not be easy but you will find your courage. It is never to late. There is help for you. Your dreams for your career are still possible." My college life will never be what I dreamed of when I was eighteen. But I am positive I will appreciate it so much more now.

Ryan

If I were given the chance to talk to high school senior self with the knowledge that I have now, I would tell me various things. I would explain that college is incredibly expensive, it would be advised to have a general idea of what field I wanted to go in to, and I would tell me never to let girls get in the way of my education. As a senior in high school, no one ever made clear to me just how expensive college is. I am only at a community college and it is already very expensive. I do not want to put the burden on my parents. I would also sit down and talk to myself about my field of choice. I would help me to decide ealier on instead of wasting time and money on classes that I would not need. Lastly, I would make it clear to myself not to let any girls get in the way of my education. I declined a scholarship so that I could stay with a girl in my senior year of high school. This was probably the biggest mistake of my life. So there you have it.

Vanessa

UMass Lowell is a convenice camp, and the shuttle bus is easy for students travel between two camps.

I graduated high school and studied in college for a year in Taiwan. Before I came to the United States, I knew some information about the University of Massachusetts Lowell because my cousin was a UMass student. UMass Lowell has a convenient campus, and the academics are very good and very flexible. Before I came to this country, I did not have good English skills in writing, reading and communication. I needed to take the ESL courses (English as a Second Language) and took some courses in the community college to improve my English. After, I studied two years in Middlesex Community College, my English improved a lot. To be a college student need has active to learn everything, and it is not like a high school student. A scucessful college student not only good at grade, but also has rich social activities. I am proud of myself because my GPA is higher than other my classmates, also, I have a lot of friends from different country. I think I am almost a successful college student now.

For me, the worst thing about Umass Lowell is the liberary. Before I enrolled the school i thought the liberary is new and big. However, the liberary in UMass Lowell is very small and kind of old.

Jonathan

I learned how to become more independent and its really valuable because its helping me to become an adult. If I didn't attend college I wouldn't know how to hold me own and I would probably live in my parents house forever

It the best state school. It has a really good engineering program and since it a state school, its really affordable.

Its fun! We have a huge recreation center, which as basketball and racketball courts, gym, pool and ping pong table. We get to do some labs in chemistry.

Clara

I came from a very small town in Maine with very little diversity. Certain mindsets, not necessarily good nor bad, tended to dominate its culture. UMass Lowell has opened my eyes to a vastly wider array of men and women from varying backgrounds with different ideas, hopes, and beliefs that a paragraph in a book cannot possibly sum up. I am much less quick to judge an individual for a difference in opinion now than I once was because my own opinions have been changed. I can now understand how there may be a piece of the picture that someone else is seeing that I am not. This has changed the way I look at the world and broadened my appreciation for people and experiences. Most importantly, though, is the passion of the individuals I am surrounded by each day. From my professors to my peers, everyone is here because they love what they do. That is the single most important thing you can ask from a school. It makes whatever flaws are there seem trivial.

Administration is very disorganized. I am fortunate to have gotten to know a lot of people in my department and in financial aid through my job, and while they all mean very well the overall infrastructure is very poor and confusing.

If you are looking for an enclosed college experience shielded from the real world this is not the place for you. The weekends are dead largely because most kids have jobs elsewhere and are supporting their own education. Boston is really close and has a lot of opportunities for cultural exposure but you have to be willing to go to the source, it won't come to you.

University of Massachusetts-Lowell administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.