University of Massachusetts-Lowell

« See more reviews of University of Massachusetts-Lowell

High school seems to run by their own democracy. Students follow rules and regulations that appear contradictory to those outside of class. A common misconception of attending college is gaining the ultimate freedom by escaping home life. Do not take advantage of the new experience, but do enjoy and learn from it. Education can be enjoyed, not just a painstaking process. Initial reluctance holds many students back from either attending college or choosing the right college. You cannot expect everything to fall into place the moment you step foot on campus. Give yourself a chance to grow, expand, meet new people, and realize that a college education is an incredible priviledge. By no means should anyone feel that higher education is not fit for them, whether they believe their grades are inadequate, or have doubts due to social life. Orientation helps you weave into a new lifestyle., so you can find your social and academic niche. Parents and students alike must not be fooled by city and party life surrounding a campus. You should be focused on where you or your child will settle comfortably. When you are comfortable with your surroundings your mind is free to expand and grow.

College is a very big change for most teenage students. It marks the end of childhood, and the beginning of independence. Starting a college career can be a new, exciting, and sometimes daunting experience. There are seemingly endless questions that arise for both students and parents-all very important when considering what college to attend. It would be impossible to give the perfect advice on how to make it in the college world, but I can at least impart some of the most important things I have learned so far. The most important thing that must be considered is your FINANCIAL situation. Many students fail to comprehend just how expensive college can be, and worry more about he nice scenery, location, or social life associated with the school. But all students, ( especially those going in with undeclared majors ) should be careful on how much debt they accumulate for there undergraduate degree. College is a time to learn and grow, with the goal being to emerge a valuable, contributing member to society. So make sure, before you apply to an expensive school, you know what your goals are, and what you plan on getting out of your college experience.

My advice that I would give to both parents and students about finding the right college and making the most out of the college experience is to research, research, research!! First select the particular schools that are known for excellence in the field of study that the student is interested in pursuing, and once you have a list of those schools, the parent and student should thouroughly research in depth about what the school is all about and what it has to offer the student. Once this is completed the parent and student should make arrangements to visit the college campuses that intrigue the student the most. When visiting the campus you should take a campus tour, check out the dormotories and the cafeteria, talk to other students already attending the college, talk to professors, find out what extracurricular activities and clubs are available, and simply ask a million questions! Ask everything you would like to know about that college in order to compare it with the others you visit. Follow these steps and you are insuring that you have all the information to pick the right college and make the most out of your college experience. : )

To ensure that you will be enrolling into the right college, learn about the school by taking advantage of events such as open-houses and orientations. Also, do your own research by navigating through the school website and asking any people you know who have or are currently attending the institution. If you would like to take it a step further, visit the school on the weekdays and weekend to get an even better insight about what the school is really like. From personal experience, I can say that the student atmosphere compared from the weekdays to the weekend are completely opposite. Once you have enrolled into your college of choice, take full advantage of what the school has to offer. If you like sports, do intramurals. If theater is your pleasure, join the drama club. Since my school is located in a community affected by violence and and a struggling economy, I feel the need to help out in any way possible. Therefore, I volunteer at food shelters and the local YMCA with my communty service based college club. As you can see, the possibilites are endless when it comes to making the most out of your college experience.

I would tell myself to do more research into colleges that offer architecture and those that have NCAA Division II athletics, to be sure that my final choice was well-decided. I would tell myself to put more effort toward applying for scholarships, because money does not come easily. Because I wanted to run for my college, I would meet in person with the running coaches and arrange to attend a practice with the team and spend a night on campus before I make my decision. As a high school senior, I did well academically, so I would not have to remind myself to keep up my grades. However, I would tell myself to read more over the summer before college to better maintain the vocabulary and comprehension skills that I had acquired over my schooling. Also for the summer following senior year, I would encourage myself to meet more of my classmates and not stick so much to my usual group, and overall to stay in better contact with my classmates, so that I might still have better relationships with them now in college. Although going back in time would be helpful, I am content with my senior year.

With the current condition of the our economy I would first tell parents and students to take a good look at the other options that are out there. Trade, vocational schools, or community college may be a better fit for some peoples personalities and desires rather than attending a four-year university. Also the cost of these schools may fit their budgets because the cost of a university today is a big undertaking. If one does decide to attend a four -year college I would suggest looking at schools that offers a wide variety of majors and programs because more often than not you change your mind and become interested in other areas of study over the course of four years. I found myself changing my major twice, but I am now content with Political Science. Size, location, and the value of your money are always three key factos, it is important to choose wisely. Meet new people you may not have been friends with before. Get involved with activites on your campus and try something new. Keep an open mind to your new world and have fun but stay focused on your goals. Knowledge is power.

Remember why you are in college. You are here to build your future, not to indulge. You will see many around you fall to great temptations on a regular basis. They are only living for the moment, but you are living for the future. This is of the utmost importance especially as a musician. The others are merely wasting their time. Take advantage of your education. Remember that many here have parents they can always fall back on. They will always have roof over your head. You are not like them. Mom and Dad aren't here anymore and your aunt is getting old. Others still children inside but you, by fate, are an adult. Nothing is ever "good enough." Try your hardest, set your goals high. Strive not for merely financial security, but to be somebody. Remember all the things Dad has done in your childhood to push you to be the best. Don't let it be in vain. The keyword here is "greatness." Keep in mind studying abroad and interning at musically related places. Submerse youself in as many positive, and enriching experiences as you can. These things will change your outlook on the world.

Going back in time would allow me to teach myself a few useful things. First, I would encourage me to actively participate in extracurricular activities. I would tell me to be part of clubs and organizations in order to be more involved. I know now that much of the aid available for students going to college are merit based, so I believe this would increase my chances of being awarded scholarships and grants. I would also focus more time in researching these grants and scholarships. As a high school student, I did not have a clear idea of how expensive a college degree could be, so I found myself having to take multiple breaks in order to save money to pay my tuition. Scholarships and grants could have significantly helped me finance my education. Another advice I would give myself would be to carefully consider all the cost and benefits before choosing a school. I would tell myself to take a holistic look at the school, including tuition price, admission process, school size and financial aid process. Taking these matters into consideration helps to make an informed decision.

The researching of college is extremely important as well as knowing one's future aspirations and goals. The important factor in choosing the best college life for oneself is to sit down alone and consider the options. Outside advice can be helpful or harmful when choosing the best place to attend. The best advice and ideas come from onesellf and t is vital to think about interests, career opportunities, and future income as well. One must remember to not allow another's opinion to affect one's own course of action. Everyone has a place and time at which he or she has had his or her inspiration. The importance in life is following one's own ideas and inner instinct. In making the transition to college one should keep not only the mind but the eyes and ears open to the new environment and people. It is okay to try new things within reason and sometimes it is worth it to step outside ourselves and to open up to that person reaching out to us. Reaching out on one's own is difficult but is also worth the effort whether or not it results in a longterm relationship.

Among the exhausting number of things I would do if I could return to the past, helping my highschool self assimilate to college culture would be a huge priority. When I was younger, my mind wasn't heading toward the right path. I was in danger of not graduating and had very little motivation. In contrast, I am now succeeding with flying colors; I am in the Honors Program and am maintaining a 3.8 GPA. Once I found myself, after traveling back in time, I would sit him down, pour him a coffee, and ask him to listen to how much more satisfying my life is now that I have gained a sense of direction, drive, and motivation. I would insist that taking on a challenge that requires enthusiasm and drive brings about a higher sense of happiness and gratification once completed. Like climbing a mountain to reach the summit, the climbing is rough and rocky and often littered with fear of failure and the desire to turn around and abandon the goal, but once you reach the summit, the overwhelming joy of looking out into the horizon is an achievement well worth the risk and hard work.