University of Memphis Top Questions

Lesley

Student government is taken very seriously at this school and they are active and involved in many activities on campus.

The most popular student groups would definitley be the Fraternities and Sororities. We have 11 IFC (interfraternal council) chapters here along with 6 PAN(panhellenic) chapters and the Divine 9 NPHC chapters. Greeks aren't as big here at the University like some SEC schools, but we also are no where near as expensive either. Since being Greek I have become involved with so many other organizations, because the fact I am Greek and more people know my face on this campus. I encourage all students to go Greek, because it gives you that sense of family when you are not with your actual family. An OG is an Orientation Guide, the people you will be with the most when you make your official visit to the University of Memphis. These could become your best friends because they are students just like you and they will tell you everything you need to know about this University. It is especially hard to become an OG as well; they only pick the best of the best student leaders on this campus to become OG's. Another great organization we have here is Frosh Camp. Frosh Camp is a camp during the summer that is put on by the university where only a selected counselors are chosen for this, because these student leader counselors are going to make bonds with incoming freshmen that will last them their entire college career. For more detail about Frosh Camp just ask. The last organization that is huge on Campus, would have to be Up Til' Dawn. The University of Memphis is just miles away from the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. We work with St. Jude personally and raise money for the kids each year. It is a rewarding experience because you get to actually see the help you are doing for those kids battling cancer. I think that is one of the most rewarding things I have done in my life. Now the athletic events are insane, people love the Memphis Tigers here. We have one of the most storied athletic programs in the country. We have a top 20 basketball team. The number 3 womens soccer team. etc. the list goes on. What is there to do off campus? Well a lot of students like going down to Beale street to grab a bite to eat and look at the beautiful Mississippi river along the river front. (great place to take a date). Or just head over to the FedEx forum and catch a Grizzlies game. The things you can do off campus is incredible. I love this University.