University of Memphis Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Memphis

Kiera

University of Memphis is a great school because they have different organizations and clubs where the students can fit in, and really enjoy themselves. They provide the best service for students that wants a degree. The advisors help students be prepared in their journey.

Omari

In my opinion, University of Memphis is one of the best universities that I have ever known. When I was a child, my mother took me to the school while she attended classes there. The University of Memphis helped her become a great social worker. The University of Memphis has big buildings and many programs that help us get jobs, make friends, learn languages, appreciate art, and more.

Tiana

Cool School

Alice

I am a junior currently pursuing a double major in Biology and Psychology, and from my experience so far, the University of Memphis has been great with helping me on my way! I plan to apply to medical school, and the Pre-Health track here has done a great deal preparing me for the MCAT.

My overall opinion of the University of Memphis is that it's a decent school. It's not your top notch school like Harvard, obviously. However, they have a lot of different things that the students can get involved in, most of the professors are understanding when a student is going through tough times, and as long as you do your work and show up to class you won't have a problem. I would suggest not getting a meal plan though as the only food that's really on campus is unhealthy unless you go to the Tiger Den, and it's basically the same food every day. Housing isn't bad either unless you are OCD and a slight germaphobe. The campus is a bit old, but it's also nice all in the same. The University also has plenty of opportunities for volunteer work. There are also student work jobs available and work-study jobs or whatever, and connections are the best way to get those. All in all, I really like the school.

The University of Memphis contains a wide diversity of students and faculty; the beautiful campus has a fountain they occasionally turn blue, the famous Wilder Tower, and countless tiger statues that artistic students cover with their capabilities. While most of the campus living may not be the best, they make up for it with the outstanding extracurricular activities. The policemen trolling the campus at all times ensure the safety of the students. All in all, the University of Memphis is a great place not just visit but attend. The academic programs has and will continue to take students far beyond what they thought they were capable of.

Jasmine

This university is great! To me, the overall atmosphere is what a student looks for while they are in college. The President looks to provide ways that benefit students more than the teachers. Our sports scene is great. Going to this university is one of the best decisions I could have made.

The University of Memphis is great college. There are many helpful resources that are free of use for students and staff. The professors here are willing to help student answer any questions that they may have inside or outside of class. Some professors are harder to understand while teaching, some explain things 10 times harder than it really is. No matter what college a person is considering there will always be positive and negative things, so I do not consider any college necessarily better than the other.

Grenisha

I am slowly getting attached to the U of M! The academics are awesome and professors are awesome. I haven't experienced much social life, but there are plenty of things to do on campus! Nice, fun, and warming environment to be in. I can't wait to call myself an alumni of the University of Memphis!

Tyler

My overall opinion of the University of Memphis is extremely high, this is my first college experience and I couldn't be happier. The university's location, surrounding amenities, the genuine care and support from your professors, and extracurricular activities are all more than convenient making the transition from high-school to college much smoother.

Tonyalia

It's such a big clean campus, everybody is nice and always smiling. The classes are great to take there and clean. and the activities are so fun. There are always handsome athletic boys running around the campus so that's a lovely view to see. Campus security is always around and so is police polls if there is trouble happening.

Katelyn

I love the University of Memphis, it has been my home for almost 3 years now and I could not imagine being anywhere else. The campus itself is beautiful and a great place to be. The only thing you have to really get use to is the train and its annoying horn. The fraternities and sororities are amazing and you will immediately find your home, if its not that you can find a sport to play or a group to be in. The classes are just like every college courses, the professors are there to help you though and really love when your are involved. This campus is amazing and you just have to see it for yourself.

PATRICK

It is a cool university

Briana

The University of Memphis is a great school that is diverse. There are many opportunities available to all students. Students at the University of Memphis will be given the opportunity to experience positive changes and growth here. Learning opportunities are given in class and outside of class.

Shevonda

The University of Memphis is one of the friendliest campus' there is. There is help in any region or area of campus and even classes. There are communities that welcome any incoming freshmen or transfer students. In addition, the environment feels just like home away from home; go Tigers!

Hakim

I recommend this school because if you're for diversity; you will find it here. If you love music and theater they have great programs to join. The have also over 100 organizations you can joined and also you can make your organizations with just a couple of members. However, the University of Memphis in general is great place of study because the professors want to help and will do anything to help you succeed.

BiancaLynn

i like it

Anna

I love the U of M! There are so many opportunities to get involved with different organizations. The teachers are very willing to help you succeed and have a great college time focusing on academics. I'm not in the Greek life, but many of my friends are and they love it! It's been said that you go through the fountain your senior year so I'm very excited to do that. Over all a great school and I've made so many friends that will make it an unforgettable college experience! Go Tigers, Go!

Maggie

The University of Memphis is a slightly above average school. You feel safe during the day, but at night I wouldn't go out alone or out much. It's a dry campus, so there aren't any parties on campus, but there are block-parties that you have to be careful at around campus. We have frats and sororities, but they aren't a big thing. Our football team is celebrated and there are many opportunities for extracurriculars. Two programs I would HIGHLY recommend would be the First Generation Living Learning Community and the Student Success Program, TRIO General. I have participated in both and they have been a huge help, providing me support and resources for my success in school, especially TRIO!

This school is just like every other college. Average quality, bad food, old buildings, and an inflated sense of self importance. They take football too seriously and other sports not at all. They boast about their STEM abilities and ignore everyone else until it suits them. So yeah...college.

Quincy

Other than the the friendly student body, this place is your second home. So what are you waiting for come visit or better enroll and become a tiger today....

Cassia

We have a really nice campus, a lot of work is going into the facilities. We have a very diverse student body that gets along well. We have many excellent professors who want us to succeed. We are also in the middle an historic city, with a big mix of old and new.

Michelle

I love the University of Memphis. It's a great school that gets a bad rap by people who don't go to it. The business college is really great with lots of extra opportunities for students to participate in such as the Complete Professional Program, all of the business clubs, and the MILE program.

Justin

The University of Memphis is a great school with very encouraging people. The school is good with informing students with current campus activities, issues, and successes. Memphis has been ranked as one of the most economically segregated cities in the US. On one end of the street there is an up to date mansion, on the other side is an old tiny bungalow. The University of Memphis is a microcosm of the city. Some of the buildings are very up to date and the others are quite old and need to be renovated. The teachers are hit or miss. Some are really there to make sure you understand the content and prepare you for the real world, and others, I don't know why they got hired. There is a variety of food options on campus and there are some good restaurants walking distance from the perimeter of the campus. It is also a 10-15 minute drive to the zoo and the Brooks Art Museum.

Saya

Originally, I didn’t plan on attending the University of Memphis. I was a transplant from West Texas, and all I wanted to do was finish up my senior year and move back home. Things don’t always work out like you plan though, and Memphis very quickly grew on me. I fell in love with the city, and made the decision to stay here for school, made all the more exciting the more I learned about the school. I visited the campus for the first time after I had already been accepted, and I remember thinking that it was absolutely beautiful. My hometown is dry and empty, so the trees and architecture around the campus were impressive to me. Everything looked new and well-designed, and the tour guide showing me around listed off impressive fact after impressive fact. He told my group all about the history of the school; for example, did you know that the University of Memphis was given its colors (blue and grey) after the Civil War to promote unity between the North and South? Or that Elvis Presley himself regularly gave money to the school because of his love for the city? The guide also bragged about the school’s impressive safety record, and how highly ranked the law school is (which is important to me as a future law student). Previously, I was doubtful of my decision to stay in Memphis over returning to Texas, but each time I went to the school my decision was reaffirmed. Now that I’m an actual student, I love my teachers and classes, I’ve made lifelong friends, and I’m still learning more about the city and school. No school is perfect, but the University of Memphis has gotten closer than I ever thought a college could.

Mary

- Wonderful, engaging professors - beautiful campus and facilities - academic and cultural treasury

Daniel

I prefer the rural life- plain and simple. The University of Memphis, however, has opened my mind up to a ton of different opportunities that the city offers to people. On one hand the amenities and resources of the city and university are abundant, and on the other hand the country lifestyle has not fled from the vernacular, for example, or the cuisine. It really is the best of both worlds. The teachers express this merge as well. My classes, politically, all have not swayed entirely left or entirely right- the teachers are diverse and offer viewpoints (that must be heard!) from both sides. While I may disagree with many decisions made by the governing body of the University of Memphis in terms of financials, I understand the need for the college to grow into areas of Memphis that suffer from blight in efforts to expand education. To any incoming freshman or prospective student, I personally have enjoyed my time so far at the University of Memphis and recommend this college to city and country folk alike!

Krista

At the University of Memphis, you will find a friendly vibe, There is a sense of family and friendship between each of the students and each student has a drive to learn. There are always people available to help you whenever you need help whether it be for academic support or for a walk back to your dorm or car after a late night of studying in the library. The University of Memphis is amazing! I would recommend that everyone goes there to pursue higher education.

Tiffany

The University of Memphis is an excellent college for anyone to continue their education at. It has a variety of different options for majors, their food choices are excellent, the advisers and staff are consistent, and the students are helpful as well. Moreover, this is the only school close to home that offers both majors I am interested in, which further enhances my acceptance of the school. I am more than excited to attend this college in the fall.

Jannette

The University of Memphis has a small main campus, but it is just enough to get lost and confused. When I first attended here, I had to walk around with a map, even though the campus is just a big square. There is always something to do, or somewhere you can go on campus to chill, eat, study, take your mind off things, or just explore. Walking around to class and dining is a lot of exercise and sweat.

Regina

The University of Memphis is home and always makes you feel as though you are never left out. Being a Tiger is an amazing experience, we all are one big family. Go Tigers!

Edie

The University of Memphis has definitely become my home away from home. Ever since I first stepped foot on campus I have loved every second. There are many places to eat on the campus, and a lot of healthy options. The dorms and facilities are very nice and make me feel safe. Everyone has to check in at a desk in order to enter the rooms. There are so many things to do on campus and so many different people to meet. Unlike a lot of schools Greek life is not the main organization. Students are able to find a club or group that fits their liking. University of Memphis also has fantastic teachers that are there for their students. If you are needing help there are many places that you can go to receive the help you need. Everything you need is available to you, just like you are at home. Tigers are family and Memphis is home.

Madison

University of Memphis is a great school. This school supports top majors like Engineering and Computer Technology. During my first visit as a transfer student the University Of Memphis team is the best. As I was there they answered all my questions related to Scholarship opportunities and the requirements. The Tiger family welcomed me as soon as I walked through the campus doors. They made me really feel at home. University of Memphis is very supportive and will help anytime when needed. It is a Overall Great School.

Sarah-Kate

I love it here. I have a lot of friends. The faculty are always so nice. The food is amazing. The campus is small but not too small. The class sizes in my opinion are just the right size for me. Not all the seats are filled in my classes, which is perfect for me.

Kylea

The University is a great place to be. There is always something happening on campus and the community is wonderful. At first I was nervous to be going to college straight from high school, but because of how welcoming the University of Memphis is, I quickly found myself surrounded by a group a friends and excelling in all my classes. I would recommend this University anytime!

Mya

My overall review/rating of the University of Memphis is that it is 4/5 stars. What I like about my school is that we are driven by doing. I believe that our students really work hard. I have different support systems at my school. Advisors who guide me throughout my college journey, professors who are interested in my education and those who push us to step out of our comfort zones. One thing that I would change about my school is the Academic scholarships. A lot of students who genuinely deserve a scholarship are not receiving them.

Eona

Coming from someone who hated high school-- I love The University of Memphis. Being able to surround myself with wonderful people on a daily basis on campus is truly a blessing. We really do have the kindest people in the whole world, from the teachers, to the students, to the campus officers, and even the crossing guards-- they are just marvelous. or academics are also very good, not on a Vanderbilt level or anything, but they are quite good. I believe that a student who puts 100% effort in to the UofM will greatly benefit from the education that is provided. Ultimately, if I could choose again, I'd still choose to be a Memphis Tiger!

Illeanna

After taking a tour of the campus, going to the new student kick off for the freshman and meeting a few of the students on campus, who are incredibly nice, my overall opinion of the UofM would be that I love it and I cannot wait to get my college life started there!

The classes have been fairly engaging. The options for eating are good and plenty, although the lines still can be long. I have met some outstanding administration support like Steven Mizell. He has gone out of his way to help me feel at home and get me plugged in during my first year, as I just moved from Las Vegas.

Jessika

it's a very nice and diverse place to be, whether you're in the UC or in class or just kicking it, its always somewhere for students to chill and enjoy free time, there is wifi everywhere on campus including across the street in the on campus living. Overall University of Memphis is a great school. Even at night the campus is lit up making it safer, but I still don't recommend walking alone just for your own safety

Paige

There are so many friendly people and everyone is so inviting. The campus is great and there is a lot of school spirit. The professors seem nice and the office workers are helpful. Therw are great on-campus job opportunities. Lots of scholarship money is offered and there are good opportunities for studying abroad.

Being a student not from Tennessee, it was hard for me at the University of Memphis. A lot of the students who attend the college are from the Memphis area, so on the weekends, the campus is completely dry and isolated. If you do not have a way to get around, you may spend a lot of your college experience in your dorm room. There is not a lot outside/around the campus to do, unless you again have a car and can drive places. Depending on what you're involved in, a lot of the extracurriculars are not very inclusive, unless you are an Orientation guide, frosh camp counselor, or in Student Activities Committee. The food on campus is not good and has made a lot of people sick. The library is very welcoming and quiet, and is a great place for studying. The rec center is nice, but it is across the train tracks which are also very annoying because the train runs through campus all day and is very loud. When it comes to safety, gun shots have gone off by or on campus multiple times throughout the year. Campus police responds but students talk about it happening like it is a normal thing and are not genuinely concerned for their safety. Be careful at parties as well, there have been people who have gotten held at gunpoint and robbed, and there have been people who have charged into parties shooting. When it comes to my specific major and the sociology classes, the professors are very nice and super informative, and the classes are not difficult. A lot of people who aren't from Memphis or Tennessee end up transferring from this school, so if a lot of this is alarming or you feel like you would be in this position, this is not the school for you.

Abby

The University of Memphis is a great school! at first I was nervous to be in the city, but really as long as you are safe and someone knows where you are at all times, you'll be okay. It's hot there in the summers, but the majority of the school year isn't all that bad.

Dalton

This college is as vibrant and musical as the city. There are projects and organizations happening all the time, and they do a good job of getting people interested in them. That being said, we're also a well-balanced college. We're not overrun with drugs and alcohol, there are few and peaceful protests, we're not overly crazy about sports or academics or travelling abroad, etc... We have an amount of focus in all of those areas that I think is appropriate and conducive to productivity and an enjoyable college career.

Tynia

The University of Memphis is an place where you will grow and exude confidence socially, academically, and professionally. We have a great atmosphere on campus that makes everyone feel like one big tiger family. It is like my little home away from home. There is so much diversity which is why I chose to become a Memphis Tiger! I admit at first I was looking into schools such as Middle Tennessee State University and UT Knoxville, but when I went to visit I realized that was not where I belonged nor wanted to be. I did not feel connected to the campus. I visited the University of Memphis and instantly fell in love with the diversity, compassion for the people, and different resources there were for students. I am proud to be a Memphis Tiger and I know that with hard work I will thrive within the university.

Roshelle

It is a good school. It's a good college to attend. The environment is cool and chill. They have good professors. Good sport teams and activities to do. This college is the college to be at. Any student will love this college. It's not far from many places. It have good classes to choose from.

iesha

Great experience ! love University of Memphis. It is overwhelming a lot safer than I feel is given credit for. I spent 4 happy years here attending my undergraduate. The campus is definitely a commuter campus, but despite this, we were a very close knit school. The professors I had were great, the campus itself has great history and very scenic, and overall I had a wonderful time here. I love cheering on my Tigers whether it be the sub par football program or our great basketball teams! Getting involved with Blue Crew was one of my favorite things I did during my undergrad too. Don't knock a state education. Go Tigers Go!

Tifany

The University of Memphis is a highly diversified school that is filled with numerous opportunities. The teachers are wonderful. The security on and off campus are great. Its a safe environment and there's a sense of security. There are many student activities and campus activities. It's a friendly environment and I would definitely tell everyone to take the school in consideration to attend.

Jenna

Overall, the students are nice, but the teachers can be pretty rough. Especially in the chemistry building, only a handful of them care about your education. The facilities are nice, but the area around the school is not safe. There is a lot of crime. I started out hating the school and now I am just putting up with it.

Isaiah

The University of Memphis does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment. The UofM is just like any other school, we provide lots of oppentunatis for our students.