University of Miami Top Questions

Jaymes

Its pretty accurate but becoming more academically challenging so its lets party more study with incoming freshman.

Alana

Yes and no. There are a lot of rich kids who just want to party, but there are also a bunch of middle class kids who like to party one or two days a week. There are even kids who don't want to party at all and rather just study by the lake. If you want to associate with the stereotype and hang out with those kind of people, there's certainly enough of them, but if you don't, then you in no way have to.

Cory

Yes and no. There will always be stereotypes at schools which certain people will fit into. It's unavoidable. There are those that go to the beach a lot, spend a lot of their parent's money, and party every night. I know of multiple people like this. However, there are also students that don't fit into that category at all. I have friends spending their winter breaks studying for the MCAT, are in multiple honor societies and essentially live in Richter (the library) during finals time. If someone were to just spend a day at UM they might get the impression that the stereotype at UM is accurate. However, once you get to know people and really get into the semester grind I've found that it's definitely not true for most people at UM

Tiffany

Yes it is.

Alyssa

I think the stereotype about UM is pretty accurate and I don't think anyone around here wants it to change except for Shalala who seems determined to make UM into an ivy league-esque university of all work and no play.

Jesse

Miami is what you make of it. In my experience I have met people with more money than I can even begin to comprehend but not every one of them are snobby and elitist. At any school this expensive wealthy families come with the territory. As for drinking and partying, Miami is known for nightlife but there is absolutely no pressure to join in.

Morgan

Miami is way too much of a party school for you to get a good education. This school does not care about academics, it only cares about south beach (a really seedy place if you ask me). Also, the students here were just awful. There is a lot of money here, and a lot of students who just don't care how many semesters they'll have to do to graduate because their parents will pay for all of it regardless. I also come from a very wealthy suburb of Chicago, so money has never been a big deal for me. However, I have never witnessed such irresponsibility as I did in nearly every UM student. Overall, the stereotypes are EXTREMELY ACCURATE.

Alex

for the most part!

Andy

yes

Kyle

Yes

Carlos

They could not be further from the truth! When I took my campus tour and meet with current students I was impressed. I don't know about the other schools but the students from the School of Business are all driven. I know people who speak five languagues, some who hold patents, some that go Europe to intern for DLA Piper, Deloitte, and the British House of Commons. I am not going to lie, there's nothing like a weekend in Miami, but UM students play hard and work HARDER!

Joe

Yes and no. The motto I think our school exhibits is "work hard play hard". Many students are in the library or study rooms Sunday through Wednesday, but Thursday through Saturday most students like to go out and have a good time. Whether it's hitting up the Grove on Thursday nights or just going the the beach and hanging out with friends on the weekend, there is no shortage of social activities. If you're a 4.0 student who wants to spend all your time in the library to get that 4.0 then Miami probably isn't the right place for you. But if you want to work hard and have a lot of fun along the way, then you found your school. What good is academic knowledge if you're not able to put it into place and use it with others? Yea, our school is pretty wealthy, but 51{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the kids are on some kind of merit based scholarship, and 80{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} have their tuition subsidized in some way. So there's beginning to be a good mix. Sick cars! But I drive a 1998 Mitsubishi mirage, so again, there's definitely a spectrum.

monica

i think they apply to some students but definitely not the majority

Alison

The sterotypes aren't accurate for everyone. And, being rich doesn't necessarily mean that you are more snobbish and aloof than anyone else.