University of Miami Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

stereotypical to think that only rich students go here. there are rich kids here too, but a lot of people earn their education by getting good grades

Anelia

The stereotype of students at the University of Miami is snobby students who come from wealthy families. Not everyone falls into this stereotype at the school, but there is a large percentage of students who fit the stereotype.

Ke'Shawn

No stereotype, UM welcomes all students with open arms.

The usual stereotype of Miami University is that everyone is preppy and rich. Although there are people who choose to dress preppy and there are indeed wealthy students, I have met people of all races, cultures and backgrounds at Miami.

Our tuition is very high and we are a private institution, so we can be perceived as "rich kids." We also live in a very different atmosphere than most other colleges, one that facilitates partying, so that stereotype is prevalent as well. While there are many wealthy kids that attend this school, we also have a very strong merit program, a lot of scholarship money is given out for strong academic achievement in high school, so we matriculate a lot of students that do not come from affluent backgrounds. We have intelligent students, our school moved up to #38 on the US rank of universities, but as every college has, there are students willing to party all the time, most get their work done as well, though.

Diego

A common stereotype of students at UM is that they are party animals. This is somewhat accurate as we do live in an area with one of the most popular night life's in America. However, while this is true, our school is one of balance. The students here are very capable of partying hard while still maintaining good grades and having an active involvement in extra curricular activities. Another stereotype is that every one here is very attractive. This also has some truth to it but it's not magical or anything it's actually more of of a correlation with the weather. It just happens that people spend a lot of the time at the beach and pool here and so people who come here want to have a nice body and work out to stay fit. Most of the time if someone is not fit or attractive they may shy away from UM as this stereotype of beautiful people everywhere is very prevalent. But at the same time in reality there are people of all kinds here, it is an extremely diverse school and anyone who came here would fit in perfectly fine. Over all while there are many stereotypes that could be explored they are just stereotypes and based on my experiences all stereotypes are broken and anything goes. I love this school it's a place of great opportunity and fun.

The most common stereotype is rich Jewish kids from the Tri-State Area. A large portion of the population is comprised of Jewish students from New York and New Jersey, however, there is still a lot of diversity. There are many international students, as well as students from every racial, ethnic and religious background. There are a lot of athletes, but they blend in with the rest of the population, so it is not a jock school, despite its historical reputation of athletic excellence. There is a little bit of everything here--there are a lot of drugs and drug users, but also a lot of students who steer clear of illegal substances. Everyone can fit in easily at The U.

Chhaya

The stereotype at our school is that everyone is a party animal and doesn't get a lot of work done. That isn't true. At the University of Miami we are ranked 38th in the nation. The students here work hard and party hard.

Jayson

The typical University of Miami student is perceived to be wealthy and stuck up. While there are definitely some cases in which this stereotype is true, there are plenty of down to earth kids at The U. You can really find any clique at this school. Only around 13{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of kids go Greek at the University of Miami, which shows that frats or sororities do not really dominate the campus. However, if you want to go Greek, you will definitely be satisfied with the Greek life at the school. There are also a lot of jocks or people who become jocks at the University of Miami and a lot of people at the school consistently go to the Wellness Center to lift weights and exercise. The Wellness Center was just refurbished and is probably one of the most state-of-the-art gymnasiums at any college campus in the country. In addition, the Miami lifestyle of lifting weights and staying in shape rubs off on you as a student at the school which makes more people want to go to the Wellness Center. There are a plethora of stoners at the The U, as well as some geeks. Most people find their collective group of friends, while others struggle. A lot of students love the University of Miami and could never see themselves going anywhere else, but this school is definitely not cut out for some people as lot of kids transfer out after the first semester or year because they can't handle the school.

To be completely honest, the stereotype of the students at the University of Miami are wealthy, Jewish kids. Majority of the students fit this stereotype, but there is also a good amount of international students as well. The students know how to have a good time, but school work and grades are very important to them. The motto they live by is "work hard, play hard."

The Miami stereotype can be pretty off -putting, especially if you come from a small suburban town like me. When people say UM kids party hard, they're not just talking about wild beer pong tournaments at a run down frat house. While of course Miami does have this traditional college night life to offer, it also has something else : South Beach. South Beach is absolutely unimaginable to most kids fresh out of high school, like something out of a movie about the rich and famous, It's not unlikely to run into a celeb if you're amongst the best and brightest partying at Liv, one of the best nightclubs in the world. However, if you've never used a fake ID before, and you're SO not used to that fake cheek kiss thing everyone you meet keeps doing, it can be totally overwhelming. And while striking out with bouncers can be discouraging at first, just remember that it's all a scene. South Beach is a game and it's fun when you're winning. All of the kids who grew up in Miami have been doing this for years, so they have loads of practice. Even though your rep amongst the popular crew is based mainly on your success at getting in and dropping loads of cash, you can always just decide the whole high heels and mini dress thing isn't for you. Don't let the stereotype scare you. There's plenty of other ways to have fun at UM, no matter what you and your friends are into. Plus even if you don't spend every weekend at the club until the sun comes up, it's always nice to know it's there as an option :)

A common stereotype at the University of Miami is that most of the students are wealthy and, because of this, are spoiled and very privileged. When I tell people I go to the University of Miami, I am usually met with two common comments. First, that it is really expensive to go to that school so I must be extremely wealthy and, secondly, that it is a very good school academically and I definitely have excelled in school. While both hold merit, the first conclusion is very flawed. In fact, my parents don't make a lot of money at all and I am actually paying for my education myself through scholarships, grants from the school and government, and student loans. Yes, there are students that go to UM who are completely covered by their parents finances, but that is actually rare. Most students are under some sort of need-based or academic scholarship and have worked very hard to attend a school that does have a lot of academic prominence.

Aryana

The nation's standard stereotype for students of the University of Miami is that they are shallow, materialistic partyers who frequent South Beach every other day. This is not at all true. Although we are fortunate enough to have access to the clubs of South Beach and the beautiful beaches of South Florida, we are not primarily concerned with partying. In my experience, I have found that most students seem to have a healthy balance between studying hard and playing hard. Students are genuinely concerned about their futures and actively seek appropriate internships and job opportunities (and UM provides many excellent networking opportunities, partly because of its solid alumni community and connections). In addition, exam weeks always result in a packed library full of concerned kids attempting to do their best. That is not to say that we don't have fun, however. There are always clubs on South Beach, bars in Brickell or Coconut Grove, frat parties, and international cultural activities (such as Art Basel and Ultra Music Festival) to choose from in our spare time.

Kateryna

Rich kids. Mostly accurate. Lots of party people. Lots of asian nerds. Lots of athletes... pretty diverse.

The U of Miami was once known by the very clever nickname, "Sun Tan U". And probably for good reason; Miami is absolutely gorgeous, its sandy beaches and clear blue waters as vibrant and captivating as the wholly unique Hispanic-American culture that it has been home to for many years (which can be sampled in the university library’s extensive collection of Cuban heritage and music). Though the university was founded in 1925, it did not gain significant popularity until the late 80’s, when a series of incredibly successful football seasons put UM on the map. With trophies came many students whose interests in the University of Miami may not have been entirely academic; no doubt, the unmatched spirit the student body has and demonstrates often in supporting their school no matter the game or occasion exists to this day and is one of the many very fun parts of being a Hurricane. And so, as people began to see the Hurricanes’ unbridled spirit as a disposition toward beach-going and partying, the assumption that UM was a party school located right on the shores of a perfect beach where everyone went to class in swim trunks was born. But time has proven this stereotype untrue; the University of Miami is currently ranked among the top 40 colleges in the nation and best in the state of Florida, at number 38 by US News college rankings and is likely to continue the trend it has demonstrated in the past 10 years, rapidly climbing college rankings like no other school. Its professors are world class and the school offers an incredible variety of majors, undergraduate programs and its graduate programs are well-praised for good reason. Its student body is friendly, spirited like no other school, and eager to pursue academia in ways that continue to push the envelope in their respective fields. The school is no frigid Northeastern Ivy League, for sure; its students do live in Miami after all, and one of the perks of going to a great school like the University of Miami is that, when all the studying is done, you still live in Miami. Though one might end up with a very nice sun tan by the end of a semester, they won’t be students of Sun Tan U; they’ll be students of the University of Miami, one of the most progressive and respected schools in the United states of America.

Margaux

UM seems to have a reputation for being a hard-core party school. It's been called "Sun Tan U" by people for years. Somehow, everyone has this idea that all of the students are party-going jocks. But honestly, we're anything but. Sure, if you like to party, this is a great spot. We're 20 minutes away from South Beach, and just 10 minutes away from Coconut Grove. We even have a Hurry 'Canes shuttle that brings you to and from the Grove a couple of nights a week (and trust me, you're going to want to save the money on cabs). But we're not ranked #38 by US World and News Report for no reason. We have one of the most diverse student bodies in the entire country (and yeah, that's a fact). Everywhere you turn, there are people speaking different languages, wearing different things. And we have nine different undergraduate schools. Yes, you read that right: 9. And we're allowed to take classes in any school we want. So those English majors who want to take Marine Science classes? Done. And because of all this diversity and the open environment that UM provides, we're able to interact with each other, and learn, grow and thrive in ways we'd never imagined were possible. Honestly, with a base like that, how could we all be just club-hopping college kids?

Margaux

Adriana

When one thinks of the University of Miami one thinks of a school that people from the north apply and go to just so that they can get away from the snow. While this is true for some students not all of the students that go to this school are from the north nor go to this school for the year round sunshine and warmth. For instance, I have lived in Miami for most of my life, so I applied to the University of Miami because of the many different degree programs that they offer. Originally, I applied to UM with the intention of graduating with a degree in communications, but while I was taking classes at UM my freshman year I came to realize that a degree in communication wasn't where my passion laid. I learned that my passion is English literature and the UM gave me the opportunity to explore the different subjects that I liked, so that I could figure out what I liked and earn a degree in something that interest me. Hence, UM is more than just a place students come to so that they can leave the snow behind, but a place where students can explore what they like and have a passion for. The stereotype that all UM students come to the school for the sunshine and warmth is not an accurate one because not all of us are here for the great weather-- though it is a benefit of going to UM.

The U charges very high tuition costs and dorm rates, and therefore UM is thought of as a school for the upper-middle and upper classes. A large percentage of the student body, however, come here with scholarship money and therefore not everyone is as wealthy as the stereotype may suggest. That being said, on any given day you will see a bevy of high-end cars parked on campus. The girls on our campus have a reputation for being some of the best looking in the country, and they often are. On sunny days you will see men and women (but mostly women) tanning on either the intramural fields or by the pool. Because of the year round warm weather, slipping on a bathing suit is always possible, and that does not hurt the beautiful women stereotype. UM is famous for being one of the greatest football college's in the country. Although we have not been doing so hot, the whole campus is united by our football and it creates massive school spirit. The team has also been looking a lot better in the late season.

Cory

Most people associate University of Miami students as beach babes and partiers. Although there are some, they definitely do not represent the entire student body. In fact, most of my friends study more often than they party or go to the beach.

Brad

The most heard stereotypes are rich white kids that go out a lot but somehow manage to get A's on tests by staying up all night the night before the test. Its pretty accurate considering most people here have money and are also smart.

The stereotypes of students at UM are mostly rich, stuck up and smart. And yes, for the most part, it is accurate.

The U is famous for being a party school populated by rich, attractive students. Which is pretty accurate. Even though the party scene is big here and the tuition is high, the school gives out a lot of scholarships and most students are very good at spending the weekend partying but keeping up with their grades. Greek life is pretty big on campus but not as many kids are as involved as you'd think.

It's all about the U! And it truly is. The students at University of Miami are so diverse. You have every ethnicity represented here. Therefore, there is a lot to learn. The community embraces University of Miami students as if they were there own, and not only that, you have access to numerous alumni across the country and even across the world. The students at UM are known for the being innovative, leaders, distinguished, and quirky in their own unique way!

We do have a snobby rich kid stereo type. We don't all fit the mold but those who do make it known. It's unavoidable

As I said before, students here are mainly rich party animals who can still pull an A out of nowhere after a "long night." This statement is too true.