University of Miami Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Miami

Danica

The University of Miami is a great diverse school. The atmosphere is good and there is always something happening on campus from sports to events being held by several student groups. The campus is beautiful, especially the view of the lake from the Shalala Student Center. In addition, you have the opportunity to become friends with many international and out-of-state students while meeting several Florida students. Not only that, the professors want you to succeed and usually respond quickly to any questions you may have. I enjoyed my time there.

Kaila

University of Miami is located in the surburb of Coral Gables. It is very safe. The University has it's own police force. So you enter a nice campus, Palm trees, plenty of space, the school has a lake/pond, swimming pool, plenty of places to eat on campus and nice outdoor tables. Students have their laptops out and are studying!

Chris

The school is great. It really is a family, everybody takes pride in The U. Very good about financial aid, I got almost a full ride on a need-based scholarship. Miami is a really fun place with a million things to do and see. Great culture. Overall the academics are incredible; however, my program unfortunately was pretty bad (Sport Administration), I felt very underprepared for graduation, going out and getting a job. The program doesn't give you practical knowledge in classes, and the "opportunities" they find for you are usually pretty awful. You'd be better off going to the business school with Sport Admin as a minor for the internship experience. When it comes to the internship, don't rely on the professors to find you one, go out and get one you want.

Yoland

I feel like there is no better school that I could've chosen to be apart of. The spirit of the University of Miami is embedded in you after one day of attendance or visitation. We're like one big happy family who are all proud to be a part of the U and feel grateful to have been accepted and graced with the education there.

Sarah-leen

I think UM is a great academic opportunity because of all the resources students have available to them. The community is also very spirited and full of love! They have the best teachers and helpers who support students to the best if their ability. The programs are interesting and allow for a lot of flexibility!

Valeria

At first I was extremely hesitant to go here but once I became friends with people from all over the US, I really began to enjoy going to school here. Its a very diverse crowd of people with all kinds of opinions and thats what makes it interesting. It really allows you to learn to network and make friendships to last a life time.

I feel blessed to have the opportunity to attend the University of Miami. The campus is so beautiful, you will feel like you are at a resort. The students are friendly and there is a club for everything and everyone. The campus itself is very safe and security presence is felt. However, the most impressive part about the university is the academic and professional experience. Working in journalism there is an abundance of opprotunities to take your learning outside of the classroom. For instance, I was able to get a media pass through my school to attend political events during the 2016 election as well as high profile events. Miami is a media hub and the experience gained with the exposure to the media world is unlike any other. Not to mention, the professors are the best of the best. They are professionals from the field they are teaching in and many of them are well recognized in their field. Overall, the University of Miami is a wonderful place to learn, grow and find your path in life. The only downside is, you'll love it so much that you won't want to leave.

Nicholas

Best school in the nation. As soon as you step foot on campus, you're accepted as part of the "Cane family". There is no other place like the University of Miami, and it opens up so many opportunities for people going forward.

Chasity

My overall opinion of the University of Miami is that the culture is always fun, there is always something to do! The acadmeic portion is also fairly intensive, but study and you'll be able to do it. The people on campus can be a bit closed off it they do not know you and already have their personal group of friends, but search around and you'll find the right group. The sporting events are fun, fun, fun! GO CANES!

Adriana

Coming to the University of Miami has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life thus far. When I came as a freshman, I was nervous and homesick but everyone from the RAs, to administration, to professors, to random students went our of their way to make sure that I felt at home. And I did. UM is a family and once you become involved on campus, you start to see a lot of familiar faces. I encourage everyone to look into the many campus orgs. Some great ones are student government, Model UN, debate, Upup, and Category 5. School spirit is really great, we have pep rallies and they give out free t-shirts and other prizes on an almost daily basis. I would encourage any and everyone to look into making the U, your home away from home for the next 4 years!

Shelby

When applying for schools University of Miami was my dream school and still is. This is the best decision I've ever made. The professors are great and the class size allow for maximum learning. There is a student organization for anybody and if you want to start one of your own you have more than enough support.

Aiseosa

Though it is not a perfect place, it's a pretty great place to be. You'll meet people from all over the world, and there are plenty of opportunities to explore your interests and build your career, with lots of people who are willing to help you along the way.

Alejandra

The University of Miami is an amazing school. Even though it is a little pricey, 80% of students here receive some kind of financial aid. I live off campus about 15 minutes away and it does not take away from the experience. Resources here are also extraordinary. University of Miami is extremely research oriented and truly cares about your career plans if you seek help through your advisor.

Tiara

The University of Miami takes pride in their diversity and they have every right to because know matter where you go on campus you will almost always see someone of a different culture, or belief, or race. The campus has a very homey vibe that gives off a level of comfortability that allows students to feel safe in their environment. Something about this school just screams welcome when you walk onto campus and I think that is highly important when choosing your home for the next 4 years.

Taryn

I absolutely love going to school here. The classes are amazing, the teachers are passionate, and the people are incredible. You will never experience such a diverse scene of people and cultures than at UM. The activities are multitudinous and accommodating to what ever suites your interest.

Tim

It is a wonderful university full of great amenities and resources. The classes are awesome, the professors are often even better. The student body is vibrant and full of school spirit. There are many amazing campus organizations from Greek life to student government- really just something for everyone. The campus is beautiful and the surrounding area, Coral Gables is equally impressive. From great academics, to great people to great food, you cannot beat this place.

John

Its a good school academically but the staff in the administration offices are apathetic and uncaring. I learned a lot from the teachers but when I needed help in Financial Aid and Student Accounts, they were dry and unhelpful. I experienced a lot of stress over that. The students are a very diverse population which is great and there is an active party scene.

Fatima

It's earned its ranking. The professors are knowledgeable and often helpful (even if you're not their student) and classes are rigorous. Students do have their fair share of parties, such as in frats, but there's plenty of quiet spaces to be found with pretty good hours as well. The city's also close by, so that life never gets boring.

Daniella

It is a very friendly university with lots of things to do. The professors are very helpful and the classes I've taken so far have been very interesting.

Jamilah

The University of Miami is a wonderful school both academically and culturally in an incredibly diverse city. I truly believe that there is something for everyone with the 200+ student organizations and Greek organizations to choose from. Most of the faculty and staff are friendly and accessible. Only major downside is the cost of attendance.

UM is great school that is filled with endless opportunities and great people. At first, I was hesitant about attending, but it quickly became a school that I will never regret attending. Although the dorms aren't too great, you will definitely make friendships that will last a lifetime. Professors are always willing to help and make your education their priority. Each professor that I had this semester was extremely helpful and down to earth which showed me how much they care about their students. Student life is amazing and there is an endless number of clubs, organizations, and volunteering that you can get involved with.

Maria

It is one of the best schools in the country and the state of Florida. It is a school for many years with great prestige. Meets all the tools for students to achieve their goals. The university has students from different cultures. The school is very big and beautiful with all the amenities that students and employees need it.

Donnae

The University of Miami has a "play hard, work hard mentality". Students grind during the weekdays and relax and party on the weekends. The university is strategically placed, where Miami nightlife is pronounced with a balance of the quiet neighborhood of Coral Gables.

The magnificence of the University of Miami extends far beyond its palm tree lined paths. In my time here, I have witnessed just how powerful an environment driven to foster the success of its students can be. Opportunities to further explore any and all areas of study as well as engage with peers and faculty alike are abundant. This university prides itself on assisting young people in finding themselves - and do so while making memories and connections that endure the test of time.

Jeto-Rivar

It is a great University and it has a lot of opportunities for the students to be successful in life. The premier university in south Florida. UM has a rich history in the community and a storied past. Beautiful campus in Coral Gables. For all it's ups and downs, UM deserves nothing less than 5 stars.

Frances

The University of Miami is a wonderful school. The campus is like a tropical resort, the class sizes are small, the teachers are very personable, the student body is extremely diverse-- overall, it is a great experience to be here. I am proud to say it's all about the U!

Oriana

It is a great school with great people, professors, and students. It has great facilities and faculty but tuition is just way too much.

Michaela

Though the school provides great academics, it is hard to feel welcome when you are from a lower socio-economic backgrounds. Your opinion is generally not welcome. However, I have found some great people, from all different backgrounds and in turn have been able to immerse myself in many cultures.

Christopher

The University of Miami is a wonderful college for everyone. Academically, students and teachers alike are top of the line. Even though academics is a priority, there is so much more to the school as well. From Clubs, Sports, to Greek Life, there is always something to do at campus. If you plan to attend, you are making the right choice.

Joanna

Overall great school. Not perfect, there are issues with departments and administration. Administration is not very helpful at helping students solve issues or listening to our input. Great student body diversity and inclusion. Lots of amazing involvement opportunities. Good school spirit. Academics are challenging, to the point where everyone is stressed no matter your major.

Imani

The University of Miami provides a spectacular college experience overall. Academics, social activities, and the student population all hold greatness within at this university. I honestly couldn't imagine going anywhere else that will provide me with a useful education in such an exciting city.

Tiffani

The school overall is pretty great. There's a great sense of community. I've only had professors that have studied at Ivy League schools and so they are extremely knowledgeable. There are plenty of opportunities to join groups and meet new people. Even though we are in Miami, I feel very safe walking around and near campus by myself even into the early hours of the morning (I'm a very weak and small girl so that says a lot). The only complaint I have is with financial aid. They always tell me to go to the office of student accounts when I have a question, but when I get to student accounts they tell me to go back to financial aid. Also note that the suggested financial aid package they send out can drastically change (as it did with me) so be prepared with a couple of back up plans to pay for school. Other than that the school academically is set up to allow for a nice balance of hard work and time to enjoy Miami.

maryam

Overall, the University of Miami is a better school for those who do not want academics and intellectual experiences to be their top priority. There is a huge focus on football, drinking, and partying, and those that do not partake are often shunned. The facilities are great here, but the administration and professors are lacking. The entire school leadership has a very "worry about it later" attitude. This even resulted in major issues with class registration this year because appointments overflowed weeks beforehand, and the school still did nothing about it.

Maria

If you are willing to do anything at the U, the university will figure out a way to make it happen. It is expensive, but a great school, good teachers, and the student life is thriving. Personally, I have always loved the U, but it wasn't my first choice, and I wasn't theirs. They deferred me to the spring when I applied for the fall, but that wasn't as bad as I thought it would've been. It is a little awkward to get involved, just as it is anywhere, but there is nothing to be afraid of because it is a very welcoming environment​.

Karina

Great Campus with excellent professor

Monica

The University of Miami is located in one of the best places in the world, Miami. With its close proximity to the city and other entertainment and night life, it has created perfect culture of diversity, life experiences, and it has focused strongly on the academic aspect of the so called college life! You will find no better place of higher education!

Manuel

Overall, I love the University of Miami. Being a native of Miami, I have always grown up loving and wanting to attend the university. Being able to accomplish this goal was amazing. Even though I am trying to adjust to the college life, I feel like the university does a great job in trying to make it easy. The academics, sports, and student life are top notch and I love the atmosphere. I would not want to go anywhere else.

Christopher

My overall opinion of the University of Miami is that it's a great school, academically, socially, and culturally. Many of the teachers are willing to help you during class, after class, in office hours, and through emails. There are always club events to attend to and free stuff can be found somewhere almost once every day. The students are culturally diverse and will always lend a helping hand to a fellow student, #CanesCareForCanes.

Morgan

The University of Miami is a genuinely fun place to be. There's always something going on on campus or off campus, and the people are amazing. I was able to find my niche right away. People here take their academics very seriously, but are also still into going out on weekends.

Paulina

Adrien

In my overall opinion I love the University of Miami. The school has a vibrant atmosphere and there are no shortage of activities to get involved in. Due to the fact that the campus is located in Coral Gables there in an elevated level of security however you are close to downtown Miami providing a large amount of opportunities for fun but also education.

Samara

If you are looking for a school that feels like being on vacation, but also has plenty of available spaces to crack open your textbook for your next exam, look no further. Although there are some downsides, note the lack of parking and expensive off-campus living, there is definitely a scene for everyone to have a good time and a surplus of educational opportunities.

Thao

"It's great to be a Miami Hurricane!" When I first arrived at this school, I was excited and happy about attending the U, but I didn't have that sense of intense school spirit that college students usually have. That all changed once I attended orientation and got a real look at all the things UM has to offer me. I have met an incredible group of friends on my floor alone. With all the activities that UM constantly has going on around campus, it's so easy to bring along a friend for some free food and free gear because us college students love anything free. Or you can just meet someone new just attending these events! The perks of going to a smaller school like UM is that you'll actually run into people you meet on campus. Sure, the facilities may not be the newest, but at the end of the day, you're going to remember your college experience because of the people you've spent it with rather than because of how old a building is. In terms of academics, there's no question that UM will provide you the education that you want. As a biochemistry and economics major on a pre-med track, my education is extremely important to me, and I fully believe that the professors that I've taken have given me a great foundation to build my future on. We're the best school in Florida for a reason. There are also so many organizations running and being created; you will have no trouble finding a club that you'll truly enjoy. I am a dancer in Miami Motion, a member of Health Occupation Students of America, and a member of a premedical honor society at the U. Getting involved in clubs and organizations is a lot easier than you think! I actually plan to be more involved with student organizations that are directed towards making the school a better experience for students. After my first year at the U, my sense of school spirit has skyrocketed. When I first got to the U, I didn't know how great it would be to be a Miami Hurricane. But after a year here, I will find any opportunity I can to throw up the U and show off how awesome my school is.

Briana

Beautiful campus. There is always something happening. Plenty of opportunity to make friends, and you don't have to participate in Greek Life if you don't want to. Freshman dorms aren't all that great. Classes are usually small. Great place for resources and connections.

Chinoia

This is my dream school! This school makes me feel very accepted and appreciated. This university promotes a lot of diversity and encourages being different. When I first moved into my dorm, I was worried that I would feel homesick and wouldn't fit in, but it wasn't long until this school became my home. The people I've met so far are very wonderful individuals who share the same dreams that I do. I feel very motivated to further my education and explore what my future holds. These four years at the University of Miami are quickly turning to the most memorable years of my entire life.

The University of Miami is often seen as a school for the academically inclined and a university full of school spirit. Though UM, is both of these things, it is so much more than that. The university is inclusion, diversity, acceptance, and care. Here at UM we have a motto " 'Canes care for 'Canes" and it's true. We aren't just people that are a part of the same student body, we are a family. Also a wonderful thing about UM is its location. Students are able to explore the colorful city of Miami as well as the even more colorful campus of UM. There is so much diversity around which makes living here, both on and off campus, such a rich experience. UM is such an inclusive place, and here you can be anything you want to be. If you don't know what exactly that is, then there are endless resources to help guide and support you as you figure it out. The students and faculty at the University of Miami are one big mismatched family full of different races, religions sexualities, academic interests, and cultural interests, but our differences are what bring us together and allow each student to feel comfortable being themselves. Coming to UM was the best decision that I have ever made, and I am proud to call myself a 'Cane.

Zachary

The University of Miami is a wonderful place to go to both learn a lot and to find yourself. The school is smaller, but it has so much atmosphere that nobody will have trouble finding something to do that they love, and there is such a strong sense of community. This combined with the beautiful campus, strong academics and competitive athletics makes UM a great choice for any prospective student.

Sara

Great opportunities

Nathan

The University of Miami is a top-tier university with many career opportunities. The location is very good, off of US-1 which is a major road. The on-campus food, dining, and housing is not very good, especially compared to other schools, but new dorms are being made. There is a huge fraternity culture yet it is offset by the diverse array of students from all over the globe. This is a good school with good opportunities.

barbarella

I love this school. It took a few months of getting used to the university lifestyle and having friends from all over the world with their own little customs. But overall, this school is amazing they are aware of what students like and dislike and are always willing to help.