University of Michigan-Ann Arbor Top Questions

Quinn

My classmates are a diversed and interesting group of friends.

Anila

My classmates are extermely motivated and driven individuals, looking to better society through innovation, research, technology and the arts.

The students at the University of Michigan can be described as intellects from all walks of life possible. My most favorite aspect of student life at this university is the pro-activeness of the students on campus, where they actively apply what’s learned in their coursework to causes that resonate with them. In addition, the willingness of students to collaborate with one another, actively contributing to intellectual growth of one another. Without this aspect of student life, my journey through my undergraduate career would have been even more difficult.

Peppy preppy competitive students with 1000s of options and a lot of school spirit.

Edward

People who want to be successful in the future.

Jack

My classmates at the University of Michigan were passionate and intelligent.

The students at my school are not the leaders and the best. Many of them have no motivation to succeed or work ethic.

.

friendly, inviting, ambitious, driven, well-rounded

alyssa

They are all very diverse in intrests and personalities, but they are also very driven.

Zak

My classmates are challenging.

All of the students that I have gotten to know are extremely bright and enthusiastic about their interests of study. I also find that they are all very friendly, and often help each other out. These students are not competitive, and it creates a positive learning environment.

The students come from a variety of backgrounds, but despite the commitment to diversity that the university holds dear, many need to listen to the voices of those students still fighting strongly to have their stories and experiences taken into account.

Your classmates will be very driven and competitive people that will sit and study with people they already know from social groups.

Sherry

Highly driven and dedicated individuals who are committed to giving everything they have to give and more to come together to form a supportive and challenging environment and create amazing things.

Karl

UM is full of bright and motivated students who will help you push yourself further than you thought possible.

Kyra

They are intelligent and motivated, with clear goals and strong passions.

A mix of people, lacking racial diversity, who geuninely want to be in class, people who want to look "cool" by joking around, and people whose affluent parents just decided to send them here.

I am among the world's brightest and best students, and the integrity among my fellow classmates provides a focused and enjoyable atmosphere enabling each and every student to achieve their full potential.

There is a vast array of students from many backgrounds here at Michigan. Pretty much everyone finds something to make them feel welcome here, and the student body is not very judgmental at all. I cannot think of someone who would feel out-of-place here, however very introverted people and those who handle crowds may possibly have trouble. You definitely have to compete a little to be social, as everyone is always busy all of the time. I have been in contact and made friends with people of all kinds of backgrounds (different races, religions, sexual orientations, etc) and there are support groups for people of all different backgrounds. Most people are a little wealthier in background, especially out of state students, but they do not typically flaunt wealth. The school is very liberal, especially compared to the surrounding area, and political activism will be shoved in your face on more than one occasion. Everyone generally gets along though, and people generally accept each other.

Gloria

My classmates are hard working and enjoying their lives at the same time; they manage to complete their studies while participating in non-academic activities.

U of M has an extremely diverse student body full of scholars, thinkers, and activists, as well as artists, athletes, and everything in between.

.

Hsin

I definitely have no shortage of classmates (close to 30,000...!), and with the extremely open-minded and liberal environment that Michigan offers, the best word I can use to describe my classmates is diverse, as my peers are driven by just about anything and everything--from the classroom to the football field to the concert hall stage to the frat house porch to the tight ropes strung between the Diag's trees and to the Quidditch field, I have met classmates talented and passionate in every student environment typically and not-so-typically thought of.

Deja

My classmates are very competitive individuals who will challenge you both academically and mentally as well.

We are known for our diverse student body. We have students from all of the states as well as most foreign countries. It is always amazing to meet someone from halfway around the world and learn about their experiences. We also have people with a variety of different interests, so there is also something unique going on around campus that has been inspired by a unique study group.

No student would feel out of place here. With over 45,000 college-aged people living basically right off of campus, and at a place like U of M that prides themselves on being diverse - no one.

It is tough to describe every student at the University using the same brush, so to speak. There are so many of us and we all have unique personalities and interests. But if I had to say one thing about our student body that I am proud of it would have to be the fact that nobody likes sitting on their hands. Everyone here is working hard to achieve something. In other words, we are all very goal-oriented. But that doesn't mean that we are cut-throat. As you walk through the diag, you will see people greeting each other with smiles and hugs and running across the lawns to see each other. I've never seen friendlier people in my life than I have at Michigan. I've never once seen any sort of bullying in my four years here. When you go to a big university like Michigan, you learn to become accommodating of other people's lifestyles simply because there are so many here! Most of the University comes from the State of Michigan, but in no way are they cliquey to themselves. I have friends from California, Texas, Florida, Virginia, Boston, New York, and even Japan! But we don't let our pasts define us. Students here do a great job of living in the present, so they don't let past prejudices or experiences dictate the way that we they interact today.

.

.

.

Review removed at author request.

I am involved in several religious groups on campus. There are many cultural groups, rigorous and relaxed. The LGBT community on campus is very outgoing and well-known. Students come from all different socioeconomic statuses, from very affluent to many students with heavy need-based care, but that is not very important. Any student is welcomed here, but a student would be out-of-place if they were not welcoming to foreign, different ideas. Students wear casual clothes to classes, like jeans, sweatpants, sweatshirts, t-shirts, and sweaters. Students usually do not wear fancy clothes to class, but comfortable clothes. Students of different backgrounds are forced to interact through class projects or hall mates. While many students migrate towards their own heritage, students are friendly and accepting to others. If there are only four types of tables in the dining hall, there would probably be the same type of students at all four tables. They would be loud and joking about each other or discussing events from that day. The only difference would probably be chance – people become friends with those in their hall, dorm, and class, but the students at each of the tables could probably interact. Most students are from small towns in Michigan or the suburbs of Detroit. There are large draws from the east coast, the west coast, and metropolitan areas in the Midwest (like Chicago). Most students come from middle-class families. Students are very politically aware, and most lean towards the left, though there are many conservatives on campus as well. I would not, however, say that students are blindly political, and think their political views thoroughly. Students often talk about what they learned that day, because they found it exciting and interesting.

Naomi

1. There is a wide variety of student organizations and resources available to different minorities. The Umich campus is a diverse environment and there is a strong support system for all kinds of people. 2. I have not heard about any students feeling "out of place" though some students may feel "overwhelmed" by rigorous academics and student life. 3. Males and Females usually wear sweats or other comfortable attire, unless at the Business School, where they dress more formally. 4. This school is very large, very diverse; it is almost impossible not to interact with different types of students. 5. Students socializing. Students studying. Students socializing. Students studying. 6. Many of the students who attend Umich for undergrad are from Michigan or the Midwest in general. 7. It is difficult to make a financial generalization about the attendees of Michigan, though I would conjecture that few come from working-class families. 8. The political scene is highly active; most students here tend to be more liberal. 9. Students love to talk about making bank. It's one of the lights at the end of the expensive tunnel of a Michigan education.

Michigan prides itself on having a really diverse student body, and for the most part its true. You'll have incredibly diverse experiences interacting with students of races, ethnicity's, and sexual orientations which you may not have connected with previously. A lot of students are from Michigan and big out of state presences include Chicago, New York/Long Island, New Jersey, D.C. Area, and California. Unfortunately, as the school becomes more and more expensive, the most popular financial background is growing to be upper middle class, however this mainly concentrates itself in the Greek scene. The place is pretty casual so most students wear (during the winter months) either jeans and a sweatshirt for guys and leggings and a top for girls.

Michigan is an extremely diverse school in terms of race, religion, socio-economic status, etc. Any student would feel comfortable at Michigan because there are such a wide array of people and there are so many different groups to become friends with and involved in. What's great about Michigan though is that despite the diversity, all types of students are friends with each other and there is a lot of interaction between various groups of people

From my perspective, some of the nicest people I have met have been in-staters and other mid-westerners. However, I also felt different here at first coming from a very middle-class, public school. The fact is, a lot of people here have money. And also, a lot of the East Coast Frat guys like to let you know they have a lot of money. So some people are snobby because they have money or they think they are the smartest person to ever grace the University. That said, everyone finds their niche, and my group of friends are some of the most down to Earth, nicest people you could meet. Lastly, U of M also has a stigma of being a politically liberal school, but, at least in my experience, I have run into many a hard-core Republican. But people are not very judgmental about that kind of stuff...it actually makes for some good, intellectual conversation.

Although college was often academically challenging, it was an honor to be surrounded by such passionate, intelligent, caring, and fun classmates and professors, who motivated me and mentored me to help me find my interests and myself.

.

Most students are really accepting of all types of diversity and political ideologies, with the exception that the majority have liberal leanings. Most students that are in-state are middle or upper-middle class; most students that are out of state have a little bit more money and are more likely to be involved in Greek Life.

My Classmates are a very diverse group of people; there is literally someone from every walk of life, most everyone is kind and helpful and willing to listen.

Maya

My classmate is diligent, focused on the task at hand, and eager to learn the material presented.

Classmates at Michigan know how to have fun while remaining focused on receiving an excellent education.

Classmates are generally reliable and easy to get along with.

My classmates are some of the smartest and most academically competitive people I have had the privlege to interact with. Everyone at the University of Michgan takes school seriously. The students here are the people who will go on to be incredibly successful individuals in whatever it is they choose to do. My classmates understand that this is the gateway to the rest of their lives and they plan on making the most of it.

Nia

Highly intelligent, but they know it.

My classmates are intelligent, eager to learn and actively participant in class.

Fuyun

My classmates are motivated and always glad to help me out.

Jorge

Everyone is different. People come from all over the United States and the world. Everyone has their own distinct backgrounds and interesting stories to tell and can help you get a small glimpse of the world. Most are willing to help you out when you are in need and will always help you with your homework if you need it.

Nico

I don't think anyone will feel out of place at Michigan. It may take some adjusting but there are so many different groups and types of people. I meet someone new every day. However, a person unwilling to initiate friendships and relationships will not do well. A lot of friendships I've formed have required one of us taking to the initiative to ask for the person's number so we can text each other to hang out. The dorms make it easy to meet people, and many people meet others through sorority rush. Even if you don't plan on joining this is a good way to meet others. Bigger organizations like dance marathon and political groups are great ways to meet people as well. There is not one typical Michigan student although most I've met are friendly, down to earth, driven and intelligent. No one will bat an eyelash if you wear sweats to class or if you wear a dress and tights. Generally jeans or sweats and a t-shirt should do the trick. Different types of students do interact however the majority of this doesn't happen outside of class or extra-curriculars all that often. Most Michigan students are from Michigan, but as long as you are willing to take initiative as I said before, if you come from out of state you will have no problem finding a group of friends. Also, while many in staters end up at school with their best high school friends, those groups generally end up dissipating a bit. In terms of race and religion, different races tend to stick to themselves but not as a rule. Very religious Christians are not isolated at all and are as involved and a part of campus as anyone else. In terms of Greek like, most Jewish students join Jewish fraternities and sororities, however that is not always the case. My non-Jewish sorority has six Jewish girls in our pledge class. If you are a religious or racial minority, you will absolutely be accepted in whatever part or parts of campus you want to be involved in. Any segregation is for the most part, self-imposed. Even though we have the reputation of a liberal school, I find in general the student body is moderate. Most people I've met are hard core conservatives or moderate, but as I said this could just be coincidence. People are aware but not necessarily active. The mailing lists for College Democrats and College Republicans tend to have more people than the actual number in attendance at each meeting.

Maya

Weird and varied, but generally friendly.

Chelsey

My classmates are usually very friendly yet people can be very competitive with grades.