University of Michigan-Ann Arbor Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Michigan-Ann Arbor

Ayushi

amazing school

Tanya

An amazing and diverse university with a number of opportunities for any student who desires to excel academically and socially. I attended the University on a scholarship and was initially overwhelmed by the size but quickly began to embrace the student population size. UM Ann Arbor opened doors for me and promoted a healthy sense of self exploration and discovery.

Matthew

Despite the weirdness of this past year, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the University of Michigan so far. My classes have been both challenging and engaging, and the professors are usually punctual and incredibly knowledgeable. Rooting for U of M sports teams is an absolute blast... unless you're a football fan :(. This past year I was able to meet so many new people with varying backgrounds and interests, and those experiences have proved invaluable in expanding my worldview and helping me to grow as a person. If you don't mind large classes, rigorous academics and city-life, the academic, athletic, social and extra-curricular opportunities offered by U of M are absolutely incredible.

Ava

banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana

Ahmed

The university is built in the beautiful river city of Ann Arbor full of trees. There is a hospital attached to the university and a plethora of departments, meaning that you will find someone doing research on anything, Covid, the economy, milk, t-shirts, literally anything and all of those professors and researchers are ready waiting for you to just show interest, I personally have had 3 different research experiences and I'm just on my way out. Plenty to do, plenty of nice Michiganders to befriend! There's a niche for everyone.

John

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

elliott

good

ZY

I think it's a good public school. The campus size is really big. The weather is cold, and there is snow in winter. I like it because I like blue. There are many research opportunities so that students can explore outside the textbook knowledge. The CDC is also a great resource.

Muhammad

I am a Data Science student and this field is like an ocean. I have started my Data Science journey from Coursera. At Coursera, there are plenty of courses available in the form of specialization from different universities and organizations. Each specialization comprised of certifications. After soul searching, I selected my first specialization from the University of Michigan designed a Python course. That course was a great one providing basic foundations as well as leading towards depth knowledge. But the inspiring thing for me was their teaching methodology. I completed two more specializations after that and now trying to enroll in another specialization from the University of Michigan. When I heard about their Online Master Program in Data Science, I have no doubts but to join it. One example I would like to share with you, there is a topic in Data Science about "Bayesian". I am also enrolled in another university specialization at Coursera but didn't get the main concept of how it works. During Statistics with Python specialization (University of Michigan), my concept regarding that subject was totally clear in just three videos lecture. Besides, they have excellent research facilities which I think a key aspect especially in dealing with data nowadays. Hence for these reasons, I am being admitted and now trying to secure funding to enroll in their Master's program to continue my Data Science journey.

Batool

I think that it's a wonderful university that provides many opportunities to people. Their academics is great and the professors (that I've encountered) are always so helpful and intent on wanting to make sure that you completely understand the concepts you've come to ask them about.

Kathleen

There's really something for everyone at my university. There are so many different types of people, different interests represented, activities to do, etc. I love the Nursing Program! As an out of state student, I have found a great community in my classes, my professors know my name, and I have made some amazing friends. The Dean of the School of Nursing really cares about her students and invites feedback. I cannot necessarily say the same for the university as a whole, but I do enjoy my time here.

Flor

The University of Michigan is more than a university, it is home. I love being in school, I love the classes, the teachers, the people, and the resources that are available to me. There is always something to do and someone to do it with. If you want to study, party, or stay in and watch a movie you will always find someone who is willing to do it with you. It is a place where you are alone when you need your space and never alone when you need someone. I can honestly say that it is great to be a Michigan Wolverine. Go blue!!

Madison

The University of Michigan is a well known home to outstanding academics, Coach Harbaugh, and overwhelming creativity. While many other colleges have superior academics, athletics, or creativity in a specific field, rarely do you find a school that has all of these things so strongly bound together and at such a high level of piercing excellence. It is the unique balance of these components that so many other schools lack, and it is what truly makes my university the Victor.

Mary

MY OVERALL OPINION OF UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN IS GREAT, THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN IS GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO EXPLORE MY CAREER , ITS THE GREAT UNIVERSITY TO DO RESEARCH AND TO OBTAIN A GREAT NAME OF HARD WORK, THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN IS THE SCHOOL WHERE I CAN MY OWN TIME TO STUDY, TO GET MORE SUPPORT FROM INTELLIGENT PEOPLE .

The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor is a university like no other and it truly has "something for everyone." Sports (particularly football) and Greek life are major parts of attending school here, but they aren't all Michigan has to offer since there is no shortage of clubs and associations to join. The unfortunate circumstance that has befallen the university is housing opportunities. While many of the on-campus living quarters are beautiful and have great dining locations, some are not up to par; Bursley Hall, mostly home to freshmen and some unlucky sophomores, is home to the only dining hall on North Campus and the living areas and bathrooms are in desperate need for renovations. Off-campus housing is typically more spacious, but low-income students can expect to live very far from campus unless they take out more loans to cover their rent costs. Overall, while housing is largely acceptable, students should often be getting more bang for their buck.

Dru

I honestly feel that this is the best school in the world. The balance of academic and social aspects of college is perfect. Resources and/or facilities for any kind of endeavor are readily available at all times. The wide range of options for public transportation is very convenient. The weather a little cold sometimes, but that is overshadowed by how great other aspects of the University are.

Courtney

The University is a large school full of small communities. The class sizes are large but there is always a small discussion that breaks the class down into a personal level. Ann Arbor is one of the best cities to study in because there is always something going on during the school year and even summer.

U-Mich is a great university. The academics are strong, and there is much to get involved in. Even beyond the classroom, my experience in Ann Arbor taught me many things I have taken with me through life.

Barbara

The University of Michigan provides an interesting mixture of quiet study sessions and fun, interactive campus activities. There is a sense of community that is very uncommon for such a large campus. As an engineer, I need a group of hardworking colleagues to come together to solve a problem. As a creative person, I need an avenue to let out my love of different art forms. UofM offers both of these, as well as ways for others to explore their passions. It is more than just grades and transcripts -- I am given the opportunity to grow as a person.

Adam

Very rich college with tradition and history. Very open to a lot of people with different backgrounds. Big-city feel with always something to do and you meet many people who you make friends with within your program and major

Abby

The University of Michigan has great school spirit and is a great place to go to college. The academics and faculty are among the best in the world, and the campus is a perfect mix of work and play. The environment is competitive, and there are plenty of opportunities whatever your major.

Persephone

People are very welcoming, you could go up to anyone and start a conversation. Living here is comfortable, there are always activities happening around campus and in the dorms. The classes are great, there is a wide variety to choose from and the teachers are amazing.

katie

Michigan truly is the most amazing school around. Go Blue

Sonia

Amazing school with great opportunities, activities, people, diversity, etc. Everyone can fit in. Great spirit and school culture, academics are awesome. My housing is good but some people might get stuck with bad housing, sometimes students' voices are lost.

Mary

The school is very competitive academically. In many classes you are compared to other people when it comes down to grading which can be frustrating when you do not get the grade you deserve for yourself. Studying is key to survival here, so if that was not your thing in high school, get used to it because your natural intelligence will only take you so far. The residence hall meals are great as there are numerous meal time options.

Ethan

A great overall school. A healthy mix of academic and intellectual excellence, propelled by groundbreaking research and extraordinary professors, and the archetypal college experience, with a niche for everyone. The sheer size of the school, coupled with the generally inclusive atmosphere, means that anyone can find a social circle, friends, groups, and activities where they feel that they belong. Open-mindedness and a motivated outlook are the norm.

Ju Young

The University of Michigan - Ann Arbor's greatest strength is its academic quality. It excels in nearly every field, which makes it a good choice for those who might not be certain about what they want to major in. Students are friendly and hard working.

I love the University of Michigan. I came from a small town, and Ann Arbor is the perfect mix of nature and city. The campus has so many historical facts/superstitions which makes it really interesting to live there. There's always life and freedom of expression. The spirit here is absolutely amazing!

The University of Michigan was the perfect place for me to spend my undergrad and I am grateful for the many career-long connections I made during my time there. I found a family with the nuclear engineering department and the most wonderful friends I have ever had. There are so many memories I made that I hope I’ll never forgot. However, the College of Engineering at U of M makes you scrape and claw for every little bit of success. They demand that their students be leaders and best. Because of this many professors I interacted with at the university were arrogant and had unreasonable expectations. I could compete. Yet, I tired. Now that I have graduated, I couldn’t be happier to move onto the next phase in my life.

Niki

While it's important to consider "campus culture", academics are ultimately what matter. I chose U of M initially because I was undecided (on my major/career). U of M has great programs in a variety of fields, so I knew no matter what I'd end up choosing, I'd be in good hands. As a big university, U of M has lots of resources and can provide you with a valuable network of people. However, the downside of a big unviersity is that there's a lot more competition for these resources. It can also be initially overwhelming and difficult to find these resources. In the end, the benefits of attending U of M far outweigh the drawbacks.

Amelia

The perfect balance between difficult academics and a thriving social scene.

Reeya

Whether you're from a small town or a big city, the University of Michigan becomes home very quickly. Even within such a large community, you can find your niche and still be part of multiple groups. Joining Michigan means joining one of the largest research communities in the world & building connections that help you every step of the way. While there is not a significant amount of socioeconomic or racial diversity, the campus is politically and socially active, so you can definitely find a cause to support with like-minded peers. As with any school, not every professor is a favorite, but in order to make connections and stand out in such a huge place, it is critical to become familiar with your professors, even those in your freshman-level courses filled with hundreds of students. Greek life is a big deal on campus, but it is not necessary to join it to make great friends! Sports is also a big deal (especially football and basketball), but you can still show school spirit even if you don't attend sporting events! The entire town is dedicated to the sense of being a college town, and there's always good and new food to discover.

Lindsay

The University of Michigan has not only top-ranked academics and sports teams, but Ann Arbor also one of the best college towns in the U.S. with a wide variety of shops and food within easy walking distance. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved and to try something new. There is a work hard - play hard mentality that can be found each football Saturday as 100,000+ people make their way to the Big House. The academics require work, but professors are more than happy to help and meet outside office hours. UMich offers the best of both worlds: the advantages of a big research university with a diverse student body and the opportunities to make it feel more like a small college. Great school, great town, great people!

Daniela

It a cool school

Trevor

Michigan is an amazing school that makes you grow up fast! (Both Academically and individually) It's a school where you have to learn how to move fast and kick butt. Academics are the strong suit here where classes are rigorous and challenging, but support can be found all over campus in the forms of office hours, impassioned students and tutoring labs. Biggest drawback, campus is hard to navigate during final exams because of heavy traffic.

Zach

Love it

Matthew

Great university, broad range of courses to study in depth, and a lot of opportunities for extracurricular involvement. Very much a college town, but still near Detroit and has some city vibes in Ann Arbor as well (e.g. awesome, free, public transport)

Qiuyang

very good university

Nakia

So far, I've been at the university of Michigan for my first semester as a freshman, and I would have to say that it is a huge learning experience. Be prepared to study, A LOT (something that I am still learning and understanding to do). Plenty of food and shopping areas around, so it won't be hard to take a break from all of the academics. There are also plenty of people on campus, so the rush from one class to another is always busy. Overall, a nice school.

Margaret

Michigan is an all-star school. Not only do students do homework 7 days a week, the go out just about every night, too! There is no doubt someone would find their "squad" somewhere on campus. "Work hard, play hard" is not just a saying - it's a way of life. Students can be found doing things like researching, partying, exercising, sleeping, and everything in between. One never gets tired of people watching at the league or in Mason Hall, because the campus is so diverse! I could not imagine myself anywhere else.

Kyle

I love the University of Michigan! My first year is going great. My professors are very knowledgeable and helpful. My roommate is very cool. My dorm is small but works. The cafeteria food gets old but is not terrible. The campus is amazing. The sporting events are a blast!

U of M is amazing! We really have it all, great academics, sports programs, and extracurriculars. There's something to peak everyone's interests!

Alex

The university offers a comprehensive student experience: top-notch academics and athletics (the latter accompanied by die-hard sports fans), a lively college town and social scene, literally thousands of student organizations, and a wide range of music performances and art exhibits. College is about growth of the mind on all fronts, and Michigan provides a plethora of opportunities to do so.

Brandi

I think University of Michigan-Ann Arbor is a great place to be. I am not a student but I aspire to be. The campus is great; nice people, great professors (who I've seen), cool stuff outside of the campus too. I am in love with University of Michigan and I want others to know about it.

Yiran

It's an ideal place for students to study in. If I were here, I will feel pretty happy!

Aaron

University of Michigan is the best public university in this country. The University has strong academics especially since the average ACT score for newly admitted students is 28. The University has over 1000 student organizations so there is no excuse not to get involved. The University has a great athletic program because this year Michigan was Big Ten Basketball champions and our football teams record was 10 wins-3 losses. U of M has just about every major you could think of and many students are double majors. I think the Financial Aid office could do better in helping middle class families pay for tuition and room and board but other than that University of Michigan is great place for higher education.

Jamaica

Great and a very prestigious university. There is a community for everyone to feel welcomed. The University does cater to students who live in Michigan but is constantly working for out of state students and international students. It also focuses on students who may be stricken with financial issues because that should not be a burden to take classes.

S

This school has spirit like no other, and even though it's huge, I really feel like I belong. The culture and atmosphere is unmatched...just come for a visit or a game and you'll know why.

Anisha

U of M is a great school with great resources and great classes.

Marissa

The University of Michigan provides a diverse community to grow in and learn from. There are many fantastic resources, such as on-campus libraries, technology labs, free tutor centers, and advisors. The campus itself is beautiful and comprehensive. There is a mixture of new and old architecture to enjoy, but all facilities are kept up-to-date on the interior. The dining halls offer many varieties of food and often to cater to students with special dietary needs, such as vegetarian or gluten-free. The University also has a great collection of staff including professors, graduate students, and other non-academic staff who keep the campus running smoothly. Greek life is highly active on campus, with many fraternities or sororities to choose from. I personally am not involved in any Greek life, but it is available for students who are interested. I feel overall that one of the most positive aspects of the Michigan experience is the other students on campus. You get to interact with many different types of people every day, and I find that this definitely helps me both academically and socially. New people bring different opinions and knowledge to the table for you to learn from. Overall, one of the most negative aspects of the Michigan experience is the financial burden. This may apply to many other colleges, but I feel that a university as endowed and wealthy as the University of Michigan could afford to assist the students with more funds or lower prices. The financial aid payment plan in place does not help students who cannot pay their tuition or fees on time because it fines students for paying late, which is the point of enrolling in the payment plan. The University of Michigan is a great university. There is something here for everyone such as a wide array of extracurriculars, research opportunities, sports culture, greek life, and academic exploration. I encourage students to apply and attend.