University of Michigan-Flint Top Questions

McKinley

If i was able to go back in time to give myself advice the number one thing I would tell myself to help prepare for collge is, to sign up for classes early and buy your books early. Oncde you are signed up for classes and your books are purchased, that is one of the biggest hasels for any incoming freshman student. Once that is out of the way you can be more concerned about how to get to classes. What youre weekly schedule will be or even where you will park.

I would tell myself that making friends is important not only for networking, but also to keep you sane. College is stressful, and friends help you through it. Joining clubs might seem scary at first, but it is worth it. If you don't fit in, drop it! Explore and find where you belong! You're going to have to rediscover who you are many times, but your friends back home are always going to support you. Keep in touch with family, too. They say college is your selfish years, but in order to be happy you still need to call mom and dad every once in a while. Don't beat yourself up over that bad grade. If you calm down, it will be easier next time. Don't worry so much. Everything will fall into place, even if it's not where you expected.

Kali

Life does not need to be stressful and planned. Make sure you take time out of your day to appreciate what you have in the “now”. When you constantly worry about the future you miss out on the great things and opportunities that are going on around you. Not having a plan is very risky but without risk there is no reward. Sometimes when an opportunity arises it needs to taken, even if it does not seem like you are at the right place or if it’s not the right time in your life. Life has many pathways, just because one path does not work out, or another path is taken, does not mean that you have failed. It means you have chosen a new path, a new destination and new goals.

As a high school student, I would be sure to carefully balance all of my options and reflect on the pros and cons of every potential decision. I think if I were to start all over again, I would have gone to a community college for the first couple of years until I had a better understanding of where my interests lie; I would have strived harder to look for alternative and creative ways to make money to help pay for my school expenses; and I would have liked to have considered moving a little farther from home, so that I wouldn't have had to wonder about "what if" questions now. I've learned that it is also important to take risks sometimes, to not fear failure, and to try new things. I also know now that although your GPA does not mean everything to an employer, hard work and determination does. I believe the best formula for students to follow is: learn everything you can, make real connections with your professors (you will need them later for recommendation letters and advice), and vary your experiences as much as possible with community service, organization involvement, internships, and job shadowing.

Jaslyn

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that everything happens for a reason. As a high school senior, I remember being extremely upset that I did not get accepted to my dream school. Instead, I made the decision to pursue higher education at the University of Michigan-Flint. This was the best decision I have ever made. I have made connections with many different people and I have found my true passion: medicine. I believe that if I had been accepted to my dream school, I would have been lost in the shadows of big egos and selfish people. At the University of Michigan-Flint, I am welcomed by everyone and it truly feels likes home. Although I did not see it when I was a senior in high school, I am where I belong and I am glad to be here. All of the worries and frustrations I felt as a senior were for nothing. I didn't get to go to the school that I wanted to go to, but I was able to go to the school that I needed to go to, and this experience has changed my life for the better.

Garrett

I would tell myself to pay more attention in math! Also I would encourage myself to take more classes I enjoy, rather than just what I needed to graduate. I didn't start take college courses until I was 23, so I would also tell myself to start going to college much earlier in life. I believe these changes would make a significante differnce in my life.

Rebecca you may think that you have all the time in the world to find scholarships for college. Unfortunately that is not true, sure you can pay your way through a community college but do you think that is possible when you go to a four year university? I know there are other things you can do to spend your time such as shopping or the movies. However all your work will soon pay off and you can focus on your ultimate career goal of being a journalist. You see every scholarship that you apply for will add up and help you pay for college. You are a great student so I know that you will do exceptionally well in college. I only want to tell you that right now you need to start applying for grants and scholarships because there are thousands that are perfect for you.

If I had the opportunity to go back to my high school self, I'd tell myself to be leary about who I associate myself with. The some people I've met here do not take their education seriously, and simply want to get their degree and move on. I would also remind myself to value this time, because the real world has many more responsibilities, and moves much slower in terms of progression. Work hard for what is right, because at times the stress of our social environment, with academic strains can really bog us down. Lastly, go to church and find Jesus before the end you're pulled too far down. Jesus is the best thing you can let into your life. Your life will never be the same; all of your worries and stresses will disappear. To conclude, have fun but take college seriously.

I would inform myself that I should not have spent so much money, instead, I should have saved more. Also, I would have advised myself to take more dual-credit classes as well as more homeschool classes on the side. Dual-credit classes would have allowed me to get ahead, instead now I am more behind then I would like to be, which is frustrating. I would tell myself to stay home one year, save money, and then transfer to a university. Save, save, save money! Also, I would inform myself to spend more time with Jesus and build up a good relationship with Him before going away to a university. I really wish I had done that. That is really important to me as well.

Focus more on your grades and start saving money for college now.

Dear Younger Me, I know that you are quite busy right now with finishing school and working part-time, but please just take a minute to read this. Even just a year later, I have found that I have grown and matured in areas in which I doubted the need for further development. One such area that I now recognize should be strongly developed in high school, in preparation for college life, is the skill of time management. I promise you that taking time while still in high school to develop this will pay off! Otherwise, it will be a very difficult transition into the bustling, busy college life with a structure that resembles very little of the public education system. Learn to make a detailed schedule of your week, not only including your work and class times but also setting aside specified times in which to study and read for classes. Start now! Adopt this good habit while it is still an easy thing to learn! Sincerely, Your Older Self Josh PS If you are reading this, I was indeed successful in breaking the time-space continuum. Expect some sort of possible breakdown of the universe.

Yara

My advice personally, might seem unusual. Throughout life, I challenged myself, constantly striving to be the best. My goal freshmen year was just that, to end up graduating at the top of my class. The rest of my four years then consisted of me doing everything I could to accomplish this: taking 4 AP classes, studying all night, going above and beyond. Yes, I graduated Salutatorian of my class and I'm commended endlessly for that; however, I really wasn't satisfied. I looked back on my high school years and realized I stressed too much.. and for what? I am beyond proud of the accomplishment, but what I wish now is that someone simply told me, high school isn't everything. High school does not define you and neither does your G.P.A. Don't misunderstand me though, it's so important to try your best in school and prepare yourself for the real world, but enjoy your youth while it lasts. Make time for friends, live in the moment, let high school be enjoyable but at the same time, strive to achieve the goals that satisfy you. Put simply, "Work hard, play hard."

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice that I would give myself would be "Stop thinking that you know everything and do your work!" I was a kid that was smart and ahead of her class. I went through a few problems in high school, but i never let them affect my school work or my overall performance. When I became a senior, things had changed. I was living in a new house with new people and I got what most would call "senioritis." I was tired of being in high school, and I felt like I knew eveything that the teachers had to teach me. As a result of it, my overall G.P.A ended up being less than great. I then realized that I should've payed attention in school and did my work even if I felt like I knew everything. No one had even tried to bring my overall G.P.A to my attention. My grades were low and my chances of getting into a university were even lower.

Two word I would tell myself, "Get involved!" College will be a beautiful experience when you get involved it is an opportunity to network build leadership skills, gain scholarships and use your full potential. Student Government will give you all those benefits, I am currently the Student Body President of my college and I have to say that this has opened so many doors for me. College is about creating yourself and getting you out of your comfort zone. In college you will enjoy it more if you keep an open mind, learn from others and help others. Getting involved will be the best choice you make.

Samah

Take your time, Samah. You deserve this just as much as the next person if not more and you can do it. It will be hard but who said success isn't? It will be filled with long nights and struggles. You'll lose hope and a few loved ones but you're going to learn more than your mind can even imagine. You're going to find yourself three times over and keep going. I love you and so does everyone around you. Make yourself proud and reach the sky. It's in you, I know.

Sherri

Dear Sherri, Congratulations on finally making it to your senior year in high school. Right now you have your mind set on joining the Army. You have been active all through school. You have made many friends, some of which you will have for a lifetime. You have always been a confident, smart, excited student athlete with strict self-values and have lived up to those personal expectations. Here is the part I want you to know. High school is nothing like real life. It does prepare in you in a basic educational way for life ahead, but does in no way prepare you for all the adversities you will face. You are living in the year 1991. Before you reach the age of 39, you will have tried drugs and alcohol, you will have a son at age 32. You will also try many positive things, and it will take you many years to realize your full potential. Don't just think in the moment and give into peer pressure. Think about others in your life and think about yourself and long term goals. Study hard and don't ever give up! Best of luck!

Deanna

If I could go back in time, I would definitely tell my high school senior-self to gather enough motivation to get more involved in clubs, volunteer activities, and other school organizations. During my senior year, I was forced to work a full-time job and also go to school. I was able to graduate from Lake Fenton High School with a 3.86 GPA, in the Top Ten of my class. However, I did not have very many days off, and I spent most of my free time catching up on homework and studying. I really wish I could go back to my senior year, and find time to go out and experience clubs and activites. In college, there are so many opportunities to meet people and to be involved. Because I was never involved in High School, I didn't know where to start once I started at college. My advice for high school seniors is to make sure that they are able to balance school, work, and extracurriculars as well.

Jody

Assuming I can go back in time and give myself advice, I would tell myself to NEVER give up. College and university is the most important thing to accomplish in life and to have a great career and successful life. As a senio, one should always be ready for the next big step; Which is College. Being a college student is not as easy as being a high school student. In College you have lots of responsibility and lots of hard work to get through. In the end, all that hard work will pay off.

As a high school senior, I was more concerned with keeping out of the dreaded "Student Loan Debt" crisis that was beginning to rise in our nation. I decided to go to a community college because it was cheaper, and nearly free to me with a tuition-assistance program available at my mother's job. Working while tgoing to school full-time was a recipe for disaster. I can excel at anything, but not at everything. I learned this the hard way. I would tell myself this tale of experience. While I'm not thrilled at all about finally accepting debt, I would encourage myself to go for it, except go for the nursing field that I'm in now, and not waste time majoring in something as ambiguous as business, because the nursing field has nothing but potential. I would tell myself how much I/we enjoy the college life, and how many great friends I/we could meet that were OUR age. I would reassure myself that our church would understand, and that the time isn't now to seek to be involved in a full-time ministry. Work, I would say, could wait a few years.

Put school first. If i would have focused more when I first attended college, I would be graduated and most likely have a good job right now.

I would like to tell my high school self to push yourself further. Take harder classes. Do an internship. Study for exams. Join the debate team. Do not settle for ‘easy’ as the real world is not this way. Do not do the bare minimum as this will hurt you in the long run. As far as choosing a college and a career, let go of some of the pressure. A part of college is figuring out what you would like to do in the future. Find a college that has good credentials, apply yourself, and grow as a person in the meantime. This is the point in which you will finally figure out what you would like to do for the rest of your life. Finally, I would tell myself to be more involved! Make friends. Go to school dances. Join a sports team. Doing all of these things will make you a stronger more confident person. This will directly help you in the future. One day you will wish you had done more in high school, so be involved, study hard, and have fun!

michelle

To start off with I was so excited for the freedom that came with college. Well I got to college and I took my freedom and I didnt go to class and I didn't get in trouble. However, I also failed. In result got put on academic probation, dropped down to part time and lost all of my financial aid. This really hit home for me because I wanted to continue my education but I had to pay out of pocket. If I could go back and tell my senior self advice for college and the transition I would tell them to enjoy it but keep the fun to a limit. Yeah you're "free" but you need to go to class because you can fall behind quick. High School prepares you for college but college prepares you for life, for your future so it's not a joke. Even if you fall you need to get back up. You really need to earn your grades, there are no shortcuts in college. Your professors are there to help you and succeed. Don't be afraid to go to them and ask for help. Most impotantly STUDY!

I would tell myself not to rush into making a decision. While attending college previously I majored in dance, then marketing, and now I am almost finished with a degree in elementary education. It took me nearly ten years to figure out what I wanted to major in. Throughout that time I have been very successful without my degree teaching dance, as a manager of communication technology at a non-profit organization for almost eight years, and as a mother of two. The experiences throughout my life have finally tied together to show me why I need to finish college and change careers. While I have a job that I love, my new dream job is one that I know I will continue until the day I retire. The job of a teacher is a hard one but there is no job that I would rather have. I have finally been able to see what my life events have been adding up to. I now know I can have the greatest impact as an educator, and I can’t wait to start.

I think I would tell myself to prepare more. I was blessed enough to have good grades naturally come me. Because of this, I got really good grades without having to try hard. But now that I am in college, I wish I developed my study habits more. I also wish I had more of a desire to learn in high school. If I had tried to absorb the infromation I was being taught more, I feel like everything would be a lot easier now. So overall, I wish I had more of a desire to really learn in high school. I doubt any high schoolers really have that, but if I could go back I would work on that.

M

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say, "Don't be afraid, and don't be shy!" Focus on what you know and learn about what you don't. The learning experience is important, but remember that communication skills are also important. Find people who can mentor you and be honest about what you hope to take from the experience and how they can help you in your studies. Finally, research what is available to you. There are SO many opportunities available if you just take the time to find out what they are and how you might qualify. Don't take anything for granted. Finally.. use the gym! You HAD the time then!

In high school, I always said that I was going to take a year off and then attend college. Well one year turned into 12 years and now I’m struggling to maintain my excellent GPA, while also working full-time. Although I am older and know exactly what I want in life, which most high school students do not, I also have the added difficulties that many younger students do not have. I receive no financial aid and have many more expenses, such as rent, credit cards, medical bills, and the unexpected expense of a lengthy divorce. As I went through my 20's, I started to depend on other people instead of myself. Now I find myself in a situation where I have no career and barely enough means to support myself. If I could go back and give myself advice, it would be to enroll in college within a few years of graduation. Even if the desired career path has not been chosen, the basic core classes needed for any degree can be taken. This allows students to become one step closer to their degree while still making the decision of what career they are passionate about.

Harley

If I could go back in time to talk to my former self, I would warn myself of everything college has to offer. I would tell myself that I need to get involved in school programs, and not simply coast through school. I would tell myself to take more than 12 credits per semester. Also, I would strongly suggest that I test out of the introduction to computer sciences class because there is no sense in taking a class that you already know all the material for. I would need to start learning study skills that would help far greater than what I have been doing. I would also tell myself to refrain from wearing more than six shirts at any given moment because the heat becomes unbearable and it makes it hard to focus in class. I would also make it clear that I should not blindly follow the advice of strangers, or else I may end up walking half a mile more than necessary every day.

I would tell myself to work harder, and to do more research into how college works. I would emphasize focus on my studies in high school, and to pay more respect to my superiors Overall, I would tell myself to take life more seriously. After graduating high school, I was hit with the hard facts of life, and I would urge myself to be better prepared for what lies ahead.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, it would be to start looking into scholarships and different colleges right away instead of waiting until the last minute. I regret not applying for more scholarships and taking my time till Senior year to even apply for colleges. Waiting was the worst mistake I ever made. I would also tell myself to save all my money, that way when I got to college and was living off about $200 a month, I struggled but was able to get through it all the same. Help yourself would be wise.

I would advise myself to work much harder than I did in highschool. In highschool, I had a job and earned fairly decent grades, however, I did not understand how much my education would mean to me in the future. I was most concerned with my social life in high school, as most students are. I quickly learned the value of education when I needed to work full time in order to attened community college. My family made too much money for me to receive financial aid, however, they had too much accumulated debt to simply keep the cupboards stocked, let alone put me through college. I would tell myself to make school my first priority, as it is now. I would tell myself that after my studying has been completed, there is plenty of time for social activities. Had I known what was going to happen to my family financially after highschool, I would have made better choices. I would have saved more money. I would have enrolled in teh PSEO program so that three years later, I would not still be attending community college.

Jhovana

My hands trembled of a combination of fear and nervousness while sealing the envelope. I had never felt anything like this before. In a sense I was writing to a stranger, someone that wasn’t me...at least not anymore. I heard that when the younger me opened the letter she didn’t believe it at all “nothing but nonsense and foolishness” she said. But she still coninuted to read my heartfelt letter. “You will find this hard to believe. I know because of your hardheaded ways. There has to be proof for everything. I can prove this is me because you hide a picture in your jean drawer; you still save the letters your father wrote you from prison. There are some things you need to know. You need to change your strategy. First get that boy out of your head, he is no good for you and doesn’t care. He never has its best if you save yourself the heartache. Secondly try hard in school. You are the only person that can make or break your future. Try hard and never give up.” -Jhovana After reading my letter she didn’t believe, but she listened.

Marsela

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and advise myself when I was a high school senior. The first thing I would tell myself would be by attending college is under your own schedule time where you will have to be able to manage time wisely in everything you will do. Starting by being on time to every class you will be enrolling to your first semester once you get use to being early and on time it feels good to be a good student. Another advice I would tell myself is to take everything very serious and try your best100 {4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} because class might get a little challenging but the right thing to do is to hang in there and you will succeed not forgetting waiting your time we should never procrastinate leaving everything to the last minute it gets harder for you. Also if there is a choice you will have to make if failing the class I recommend to try your best and do not drop the course because it will come back and affect you by having to pay back all the financial aid that they help you with that course .

Do what you have been doing and you will be fine.

Believe in your strengths and put them to work! Too often have you let circumstance decide your fate, now is the time to step over adversity and move on and up in life. Stay organized, get focused and don't let anyone (including yourself) tell you that you won't finish what you start or reach the top. The next few years will be challenging, but you're a strong woman who was raised by strong women, so don't be afraid to ask them for help. Judgement is contagious, don't damage yourself with negative thinking or insecurity. In time, you will overcome the hardships of your childhood, meet your father, and excel in school and work. Get moving!!

Ivy

When I was in high school I didn't want to go to college, so I would go back and tell myself to do it. It isn't as hard as you think it will be, and that you will succeed if you put your mind to it. In some ways college isn't that much different than high school, but put forth a greater effort and the result will be high grades that you can be proud of.

Lorretta

If I could go back to my high school self I would tell her two things about college. The first would be to start early and keep going. I got my Associates Degree and then took several years off. I would tell her to go straight through. The other thing that I would tell her is that she needs to get working on scholarships. Look hard and look often for any scholarships that might be available. Try your best to supplement with scholarships so that you don't have to take out as much in student loans.

I would tell myself that the friends I have in High School are not going to be my friends forever. They are going to forget about me when they go to their own colleges and it's hard to accept it at first but I will be okay. I will tell myself about the sorority I joined and how amazing Greek life is. I would tell myself to study hard and attend class because each class that I skip is fifty dollars gone to waste. I would also tell my self to get lots of rest and enjoy my time in college because you only live once and sometimes you have to take a break from studying. Most importantly I would tell my self to save every dime I make because college is expensive and it's hard but I will make through whatever challanges I am faced with because I am strong and I can do anything I set my mind to.

Peter

It’s hard to think of advice to give to someone who already knows everything. Most of the advice I would give myself now had already been given to me. However, at the time I was too stubborn to listen and too proud to understand the simple truths those words carried. As a ‘mature’ teenager I knew what was best: my way. Looking back, what I was most in need of at the time was perspective. As this is something not easily taught or learned, I think the best thing I could do to help myself would be to position myself into situations that would help evoke this special wisdom. This would require some subterfuge as I’m dealing with a stubborn teenager My approach would be in the form of challenges. For example, “You think you’re so smart but I bet you can’t even pass all of your classes.” Or, “You’re so lazy I bet you can’t even have perfect attendance in one class this semester.” Small challenges that would help me to not only realize my own capabilities but would also teach me about the positive consequences of applying myself in the right ways.

Miyako

Apply for scholarships and schools before actually graduating from high school and do research about a school before applying to it (don't apply just because the the school is conveniently located). Attend a community college for as many classes as you can before transferring to a university. Also, limit your academic focus to one major area and one minor area. Don't try to take courses in too many different subjects.

Trang

University of Michigan - Flint gave me the best opportunity for working more on my area of study, Physics. It is valuable not only because it is what I would like to learn, but also I have chance to meet people, socializing, and get more knowledge in general. Learning is not something that can be done in a couple days. It is a big process. Thanks for my college, I have chance to learn and do what I want to do.

Roy

Before coming to college I was an average student with out much motivation. After beginning my college education and learning in a new atmosphere about a diverse range of topics, I became more involved in my learning process. I graduated with high honors in 4 years with a BBA with concentrations in Accounting and Finance. During my time as an undergrad, I began my own rental home business in the Flint area. After graduation I immediately found a job as a staff accountant. My education provided to be very valuable in preparing me for this job. There was no accounting aspect of the job that I was not taught about during my classes. I was recently accepted into the University of Michigan- Ann Arbor Ross School of Business to pursue my MBA. I owe my success in being accepted into such an outstanding learning institute as Ross School of Business to my college experience at the University of Michigan- Flint. In addition to pursuing my MBA, I am also stuying to take the CPA exam. I hope to graduate with my MBA degree and become a certified CPA in 4 years.

I've received a strong preparation for my future career.

Raphael

So far in the first semester of my 2010-11 freshman year in college, I have experienced getting extended time on exams and getting to learn about the locations of the buildings on campus. I have also had the honor to work in the university, attend workshops, and join the Video Gamers' Club on campus and enjoy them. Lastly, I have gotten to know my professors, the staff, and students of all forms of life walking around the University of Michigan-Flint. The college opportunity has been valuable for me to attend the University of Michigan-Flint this year. It has motivated and inspired me to work hard and smart to obtain the degree that I very much desire in my future career field of graphic design. The school's energy has given me extra confidence in working to reach my goals and dreams. For years ahead, the University of Michigan-Flint will be part of the reason I work hard to obtain the rewards I seek, and this scholarship will provide me with the extra confidence to realize my career goals and dreams.

Bret

I have realized that attending college is very important today. Lately, I have been seeing more and more people be put out of work; mainly because of their lack of education. People can take a job away from you, but if you have your education, no one can ever take that away. I have realized that most jobs today require you to have a degree. I want to become a Physical Education teacher. That is a profession which obviously requires a degree. I have completed my 2 years at my local Community College and will be attending the University of Montevallo this Fall to complete my degree. I realize that my choice of profession won't make me the wealthiest man, but I'll have the joy of doing what I love each and every day. I've come to realize that it is not all about the money. I believe if you are happy with your'e career choice, you'll never work a day in your life. The cost of attendence is rising each year, causing a burden to be put on my parents. Being awarded this scholarship would be an amazing blessing! God Bless

I was accepted into the University of Michigan-Flint as long as I attented a program called The Challange Program. This program was for kids who got a D or failed one of their high school classes and I believe if you had a certain GPA when you graduated high school. To be honest I DID NOT want to be in this program. I thought it was for kids who where stupid and didn't know anything. I take pride in myself and I felt that this program would give a certain image that i DID NOT want, but if I was to go to U of M-Flint I would have to be in this program for 1 year weather I wanted to or not. In this program they would give us information about resources on the campus and how to study in college. I wish there was not a max ont eh words you can write in this cause I would say SO much more. But basically without being in this program I would not have gotten all A's and B's my first year of college, This program really helped even though I was against it.

Oscar

Finishing up my first year of college, I've learned a lot of things. The experience has been very valuable to me because it has given me a greater responsibilty to myself by living on campus and living under my owns rules. This first year has given me a greater self-discipline, i know that no one is going to tell me to study or go to class and if i want to continue to do well I must distance my selfto discipline myself. This means distance myself from the social scene for a while to discipline myself to study and do my homework. College has also been beneficial in other ways. It has made me a better public speaker and has increased my ability to interact with others confidently. I am no longer a shy young man but a young man that will approach a person with confidence and look them in the eye while speaking to them. College has been great thus far and i hope that everyone will have a chance to experience what i have.

Nadine

College has been very valuable. I have learned a great amount of things that will help me throughout life. Not only am I now able to get a better future by getting a great job, but I also get to live life the way I want. When you drop out of highschool, you are not able to choose a job that you like. Your job chooses you! You apply for thousands, and if your lucky, someone will need you to work at that McDonalds down the road from your house (Not sure about you but I sure won't be happy flipping burgers for a life). College gives an opportunity for many things. You get to learn from experts. If you have questions, you are able to ask and get the answers you've been dying to hear. Last but not least, you meet new people that probably will be working with you throughout your future. College life is extremely better than highschool. I have learned a variety of things that are just amazing. From how the body works, to the how different people's lives were in the 1920's, it's all been a desire to learn!

Attending college so far has helped me interact better with my peers. I feel comfortable getting up in front of people and speeking my mind. In high school, i was not sociable at all. I kept to myself a lot and read. Once i got to college, i brought my books with me, but i started talking to people in my classes. and after four semesters, i have shed that shy shell. People look at me and don't believe when i tell them that i used to be a bookworm. That i used to be socially awkward. In the long run, this will only help me occupationally. I am a graphic design major, and would like to go into advertising/promotion, some kind of print media. Therefore, i am going to need all of the people skills i can get. I need to be able to interact with the client on a personal level and find out exactly what elements i should use to give them what they are looking for. Those skills can be enhanced by further education, and while i love design, i can always learn more, which is another reason i choose to complete school.

Alyce

I have learned a new trade that is going to give me a career to be able to take good care of my family

I am the first generation in my family to attend and complete a college education. I come from a lower-middle class family of military veterans and "shop-workers" whose work ethic are the backbone of the country we are priviledged to belong. My college experience, though not yet complete, has provided for me a view of the world that I may never have witnessed. I retain a sight of Americans struggles through the eyes of another. I cultivate a growing desire to contribute with character and integrity the values that serve all people and serve to make our world around each of us a little bit better because we were in it. This is what I have gotten out of my college experience and why it has been valuable to attend.