University of Minnesota-Duluth Top Questions

Chun

People who MUST live in big cities or are happiest with a very large student population. People who hate winter.

If the person is not willing to put in the work or effort into their classes, UMD is not the school for them. The classes are not easy. A person needs to be willing to put aside a few hours everyday to study in order to get good grades. If the person does not like the outdoors, cold weather, or being in a smaller college town then UMD is not a good option for these people.

A kind of person who doesn't like fun and doesn't want to take coursework seriously is the only kind of person that shouldn't attend this school.

The type of people that might have troubles attending this school would be those who might require more one on one attention then normal with teachers and staff. The school has many students and large classes, as well as a lot of outside duties for teachers. They are not as available as those from smaller schools. A person from warmer climates might have some trouble adjusting to the cold and weather conditions in the winter. Most importantly you should be prepared to be exposed to many different types of cultures, religions, and personalities.

If people do not like cold weather, they should not come to Duluth to attend college. Even though the school has a lot to offer and the area is a nice place to live, there is a lot of snow and cold temperatures in the winter. Because Duluth is on the lake, the weather is affected by the lake effect from Lake Superior. It is cold for about five out of the eight months when school is in session, so if Duluth is an option for a college-bound student, they must be prepared to face the long winter months.

None. Everyone should attend this school.

The school I attend places a high emphasis on adaptability. Although they never address this characteristic on any brochure or website the need for adaptability is apparent in nearly every aspect of classroom learning. Every teacher teaches with a different style and it is apportant to adapt your style of learning for each teacher. A person shouldn't attend this school if they are unable to adapt to different situations.

Katina

While UMD is inviting and creates a unique community opportunity for its students it is not for everyone. The school offers a fantastic variety of liberal education topics to study. However, it lacks a big city charm and the facilities or resources that a school in a larger city can often offer. In my case, I don't match perfectly to UMD because the art program can not offer me recourses to the extent that I need. This is not a school for students who want to escape a small town feel or who need an excessive adventure outlet.

A person who is not serious about their schoolwork and about earning a degree should not attend this school. If a student is only looking for a good time and a party school, this is definitely not the right school for them.

The majority of our school population is caucasion, but I have seem all types of people. There really are no problems with differences as far as I can see. I am hispanic and have never felt out of place for attending this school.

The kind of person who should not attend this school is someone who likes bigger cities, doesn't like the outdoors, likes warm weather, likes shopping a lot, etc..

Someone who is looking for a medium sized school where it won't be tiny but you won't be lost in the crowd. Someone who doesn't mind the cold weather or a small town surrounding the college.

Sally

People who don't put forth effort

Trevor

Someone who doesn't like the cold