University of Minnesota-Duluth Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Minnesota-Duluth

Madie

When I toured the University I fell in love with not only the area but the people on the campus. I could see myself on campus and becoming the best student I can be. I really enjoyed how involved everyone was on campus. I can not wait to start my journey at the University.

Emma

I think it is a great location, great size and is filled with great resources. I think some of the things on campus are underbudgeted (not enough funding), but I like the school and the atmosphere is safe and great! I personally would like some more food places that more students would favor (but praising Great Lakes Grains), but there is some more action off campus too.

Alisa

I love UMD because the people are so friendly, the professors are super helpful, and Duluth is just a beautiful place to live overall. There's always something to do whether it's on campus or off-campus. UMD is a great college for people who are serious about their academics but also like to have fun, whatever that might be for you personally.

It is a great college. Like any college, there are good and bad things. It can be a little difficult to make friends. However, we have over 270 clubs and student organizations on campus. There is something for everyone! Also, if there isn't a club for you, you can make one easily!

Tai

The classes are great, most of the teachers are very well versed on the subjects they're teaching. The dorms aren't great. The rooms are average and there are community bathrooms that aren't very nice. The best thing, is that the entire campus is connected!

Liz

I love this school. I really do feel at home here. It is a safe campus that lets you be involved in many different activities, whether they are during the week or over the weekend. It is a diverse campus so you get to meet a lot of different people that have unique backgrounds. The only complaint is the on-campus food is not the best.

During my first visit to UMD I stepped out the car took a deep breath and said "mom it smells like home". From that moment on I knew it was my school. The air was fresh, crisp, and always had a hint of pine to it. The whole atmosphere of the campus had a homey feel and every person you passed smiled or waved. The teachers are incredibly helpful with what ever you need and if they don't know the answer they will find you someone who does. The school was the perfect size so you could meet new people every where you went while still have a since of community. There is always something to do or explore from the waters of lake superior to the surrounding woods and trails. There is an abundance of activities, clubs, and sports to partake in your sure to never be board. The campus never looks boring either as it is filled with unique architecture, sculptors, and the halls are full of pictures. Lets not forget about the tunnels that connect nearly everything allowing you to enjoy the beauty of winter without actually having to feel it.

Shawna

I love the campus and the city! I haven't been here long but I love it so far! Everything is connected so despite how cold it is, you don't have to worry too much about being out in the weather. Most professors are approachable and nice. The class sizes aren't too big or small and they vary.

Grace

Attending the University of Minnesota Duluth was one of the best decisions I could have made. It provides a safe and welcoming campus all while meeting your educational needs. The class sizes are varied giving a unique feel. Overall it is a clean campus in a beautiful city. Sports, clubs, intermural, and Greek life are all offered through the college and are heavily encouraged to take part in. The students here are so welcoming and despite the cold seem always ready to learn. Definitely a college to consider for all.

Aaron

This school is a decent place to go to achieve a good academic understanding. The main majors at this school are engineering and business. College facilities are mostly up to date but some buildings are older. They try to keep the school as nice as it can be, even though they rarely build anything new.

Gaoly

UMD was not my first choice in college, but I am proud to be called a bulldog along with amazing friends I had made here. The campus is small but not too small, there's always someone willing to help one out. The staff are very friendly and try to help in the best way they can. The school is very dependable.

James

The University of Minnesota-Duluth campus is beautiful in terms of the scenery, and its personality. Duluth is warm alongside inviting, even in the winter it's still vibrant and alive; extracurricular activities helps all students find where they truly belong disregarding any prejudice or hesitation.

Katelynn

Overall I think UMD is a decent campus. One thing I don't like is that most of the professors I've had just read off of the slides and don't go into depth about the material. Also I feel like I am paying a lot of money for classes that I won't even need for my future career.

Samuel

UMD is a great school, with great teachers, academics, and lots of fun to be head. Every one is very serious here---as in everyone who is here wants to be here, and is pretty serious about doing well. Housing is great and I love everything about the school.

Estefanie

I think the University of Minnesota-Duluth is a beautiful campus. Being able to have such an amazing scenery while being on campus is such a plus to going to a good in state school. The students on campus are over all very welcoming and great to have conversations with.

Olajumobi

UMD is an amazing college, it provides a lot of opportunities to connect with other people from all over the world and learn from different cultures. Everyone has a place at UMD. Many extra curricular activities, clubs and groups to joins for games, studying, even to hangout. The school is inclusive and everyone fits in. The staff is very friendly and ready to help with anything. Campus is relatively easy to navigate and buildings have tunnels, so you don't have to walk outside during winter. Overall UMD is the place you want it be.

Riley

The campus and the location of where the university is located is beautiful for the area. You can see the lake from where the college is located. The university is close to downtown Duluth where you can escape and have fun with your friends and classmates. It is also closer to Lake Superior so you can take a break by the lake and chill for a couple hours.

Branton

I really like UMD. I feel it is a perfect school for anyone who doesn't want to go to a big city school like UMN in the twin cities. There are plenty of things to do on campus and off with the beautiful outdoor areas around like the north shore and Gooseberry Falls. Academics are great and plenty of resources like teacher's office hours and the tutor center. Everything is connected by underground tunnels so no need to walk outside in the middle of winter to get to and from classes. Also a mall fairly close for anything you need.

Natalie

I really am enjoying the University of Minnesota Duluth. The campus is nice and clean. The professors are very helpful and available a good amount of the time. The academics are great. There are plenty of classes, majors and minors to choose from. The classes can range from 15 people to 150. The on campus housing is nice and clean. There is plenty to do in Duluth and on campus. They have many free activities throughout the week and weekend for students; such as, grocery grab, dances, karaoke nights, and so on. On campus, you can eat at the dining center or the food court. There is a variety of food and even a coffee shop. When it comes to sports there are many. Hockey games are one of the bigger sports at the school. They also have a health center and counseling center right on campus. All in all, the school is great, welcoming and there are many resources for students.

Sierra

Coming from a town of 3500, and a graduating class of 106, UMD was a perfect transition. The college offered a variety of classes and majors to choose from and I was able to adjust very quickly. UMD is a great school to attend, because it is not too big where someone might feel overwhelmed, but it is not too small where someone might feel crowded. You see and know familiar faces wherever you go, yet you meet new people everyday. If you're feeling unsure about a college decision, check out UMD.

Anna

As a freshman at UMD, I haved enjoyed everything about campus. I love the outdoor emphasis, professors, and students! It is crucial to get involved, branch out, and experience things you have never done. Personally, I am involved with the rockclimbing club, Student Association, Honors, spanish club and Navigators, a youth ministry on campus. In additon to campus life, downtown Duluth has a lot to offer. My friends and I enjoy going getting pizza downtown, going to the beach, and attending various downtown events like parades, the christmas tree lighting, and live music. I would highly recommend UMD to anyone who enjoys adventures, spending time outdoors, and genuine students and staff.

Ly

Overall, the University of Minnesota Duluth is a great school. First of all, professors really care about the student and the quality of their teaching. All campuses of UMD are connected which is a good thing because it can get extremely cold and windy during winter in Northern Minnesota. The class size is on the smaller scale, which is what I personally prefer. It allows students to have better interaction with peer and professor.

Being my first year at UMD, the atmosphere is amazing! The students and faculty are so nice and I really feel like I'm at home here. The faculty take it upon themselves to learn the names of their students, making sure you're not just one face in a sea of thousands. Most of the campus is connected through a concourse system, so Minnesota winter's are in fact bearable. UMD is a great institution to study at. Lake Superior can be seen from anywhere on campus and the courses are challenging, but not hair-pulling stressful. My experience so far has been worth while and so fulfilling!

Haille

Diverse and very inviting. Something for everyone

Lucas

As a current graduate student who also obtained an undergraduate degree at UMD, I have had a plethora of academic experiences contributing to my opinion. The civil engineering department has excellent staff and faculty. These professional men and women have an open door policy regarding office hours, regularly ask for student feedback and provide a mix of theory and practical applications for course material. Duluth is located in an area conducive to outdoor activities and the college definitely takes advantage of it. Plenty of extra curricular activities augment the college experience here at UMD. However, as I am sure is true of many colleges, the freshman and sophomore level classes fail to spark the desire to really dig in and master the course material. Many of the first and second year classes are the kind students trudge through, having their sights set on junior and senior level classes which provide an engaging and enriching experience. Overall, UMD provides an exceptional chance to learn and grow while preparing students for professional life.

Isabel

UMD is a wondrous place to taking the first few steps towards professionalism. I am a transfer student from the University of Minnesota Rochester to University of Minnesota Duluth. I have noticed numerous differences and have loved every minute of my time in Duluth. The surrounding area is spectacular and the professors that I have had have gone above and beyond in teaching their students. I am extremely impressed with UMD and its faculty. The only thing that is lacking is the food quality on campus.

Naseem

The University is great. It was a little confusing during orientation week (AKA. Bulldog Welcome Week) but you get used to it after week 2. I would totally recommend UMD (and have). GO BULLDOGS!!! Caution: Weekends everyone is studying so campus is pretty dead, if your studying or have something to do, then you won't have anything to worry about.

Sophie

My overall opinion of the University of Minnesota Duluth is that it is a great school with a small university setting (there are approximately 10,000 students currently) but a big university feel. There are plenty of resources and student groups on campus and everyone is very nice. I would recommend UMD to anyone looking for a university with a lot of outdoor opportunities.

Amy

I love UMD. It's a great college campus with beautiful scenery, facilities, and excellent staff. The surrounding area is amazing, with lots of local shops and diners, gorgeous hiking trails, and the lake is pretty amazing year round. I'm not a huge fan of the icy roads during the winter time, however.

Kelsey

University of Minnesota-Duluth is a campus full of life. The atmosphere, the classrooms, the professors give you a sense of learning. Duluth is the perfect place to go in the next chapter of your life. I came from a small town of 700 people and coming here did not feel any different. People here are very friendly so it made things a lot easier for me.

I personally love it at UMD. There is so much culture and everyone is friendly. There is always something going on and hockey games are so much fun. There is nothing better when watching your team win surrounded by a ton of people that you just met and who are as passionate about what is going on as you are.

andrew

I love UMD. theres something for everyone ranging from if you love sports (we have D1 hockey and all the sports) or arts (our theater is amazing/ JOIN THE BANDS) You can walk one way at UMD and get to the woods where there are hiking trails, or you can walk the other way and go to stores and art of canal park I recommend to all that you should come check out UMD

Cheyenne

U of M Duluth as an incredibly welcoming atmosphere. There are clubs and sports for everyone of different backgrounds. Intramural teams, club sports, and school events are always happening. The fitness facilities are have a variety of opportunities both indoor and outdoor. Professors truly care about their students and there is an array of academic courses to choose from.

Eric

I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience at UMD and am excited for my future years here. The classes are all inclusive and friendly environments, and the professors/ instructors are welcoming and helpful. I would recommend UMD to incoming students as the on-campus living environment feels like a family environment.

Abigail

Attending University of Minnesota-Duluth is amazing. The campus is all indoors, which is nice in the winter, and everything is easily available. The city of Duluth is even more exciting. Duluth is a small port town in the middle of the country and the giant Lake Superior is visible from almost all windows on campus. The shining blue waters in the summer and fall and the ice and fog floating over the depths in the winter and spring are a sight to behold. Waking up in the morning you can hear seagulls cawing and see the sun flooding into the room inviting you outside. A brisk cold breeze blows into the room telling you to stay in your warm bed, but the clock is ticking and class is approaching. Getting up and getting ready can be hard to do as your roommate sleeps not more than 10 feet from you, but after time you both have gotten used to how each one of you lives. The bathrooms are as you'd expect, not the cleanest as you have to share them with 20 other people on the floor. The one bright side is that it is all gender exclusive so there is no worry about the other gender walking in as you get ready. Coming back to the room you stuff your book bag and sling it over your shoulder ready for what the day brings. Leaving the dorm you head to your general class. It's a class of roughly 60-80 people but the lecture hall is large enough to accommodate everyone comfortably. Class is great and if you need extra help the professor is always easy to reach. Winter is always a little disappointing when the cold and the snow rolls in. Everyone dreads walking through the snow and cold to get to where you need to go but, on campus that isn't a problem. Getting anywhere on campus is really nice as everything is connected through sky ways and tunnels. This is my favorite thing about campus as I dislike the cold. Now for something not my favorite, the food. Lunch is always interesting. Getting friends to join you or just dining alone is always an experience. The dining center on campus doesn't have the best food. But since it's set up buffet style you can always create something different everyday. And for the ones who like the repetitiveness they have similar food everyday but changes out throughout the day. Other places to eat include the coffee shop on campus and the food court. There are also restaurants and fast food places withing easy reach by walking, car, or the bus. The bus system is pretty great in Duluth. You can get anywhere and back at anytime. The school's card you get when you enroll is a free access bus pass. Taking the bus down to the beautiful port side is amazing. You can take the lines down to the popular ice cream/malt shop and little "I Love Duluth" stores. Sitting beside the lake on benches that line the board walk is really refreshing. Especially after you have finished finals and just get that breath of fresh air of being done. Overall University of Minnesota-Duluth is great. The beautiful lake views will reel you in, in one visit. And during your stay here will make you fall in love with the port city in the middle of the continent.

Morgan

I love this campus and everything this city has to offer. I have made so many friends since I have been here. I have joined a couple clubs and love my major. My classes are interesting and the program is hands on. Duluth has so much to do on the weekends and in my spare time that I never feel like I am stuck on campus, although there is always something to do on campus. The University of Minnesota-Duluth has quickly become my second home.

Zina

The people at this University are very kind and inviting. I absolutely love the environment and how the school has more than enough resources to make sure their students are and stay successful. There is a free gym for students to stay active during the winter and a whole lot of free renting gear for all the summer activities that could be done in the beautiful town of Duluth Minnesota. The rooms may be a bit small but I doubt anybody would be spending so much time in the dorms with all the relaxed living room spaces and four-season porches the apartment dorms offer.

Marin

It's such a relaxed yet ambitious environment. Everyone is so kind yet has a strong opinion. The classes have been fabulous and I'm always sharing knowledge that I've learned. I love going here and can't wait to explore the opportunities that have been presented to me!

Angela

University of Minnesota-Duluth is a great college for people to pursue their dream career through. The online options are amazing and the professors make a great attempt to introduce themselves via video. Students are able to obtain a 4 year degree online and the deadlines are very clear.

Pooja

It has a beautiful view of Lake Superior and a lot of local unique shopping places around. It will get quite cold but there isn't really a need to go outside because of how it is set up. The diversity is not major but thankfully not minor it seems like everyone gets together pretty well and the staff seemed funny and nice!

jebeh

it's a tightknit type school easy to navigate, its not that bad of a place to get an education.

Juliet

My biggest beef with University of Minnesota-Duluth (UMD) is the parking. I feel like this is a major problem at a lot of universities, but it's frustrating when you pay for a 200+ dollar parking pass and it doesn't guarantee you a spot, because there are just so many students! It's worse in the wintertime due to the snow, and as the semester progresses it isn't as bad. I would suggest a parking ramp, though. Aside from that, I really like UMD; it's got lots of places to eat and the faculty are mostly accommodating (at least in my department). The city itself is a great place to be; lots of fun places to go and the community is so great. I would suggest this school to others, for sure.

Victoria

This is an excellent school that provides an abundance of opportunities for its students. Whether it’s academics, extracurriculars, or sports, the University of Minnesota-Duluth offers all students a plethora of options when it comes to their academic and social life.

If you are a hardy, outdoorsy and hickey loving citizen UMD is the perfect college. I have enjoyed my college experience at UMD and believe it is a part of some of the best education that the U.S. has to offer. The tuition rates are great and the students who attend UMD get a first rate education. Minnesota boasts amazing education and is a reliable place for students to call home. I am apart of the School of Fine Arts and UMD and even though it is a small department it allows students fantastic one on one experience with professors. Other than the SFA, UMD also has amazing engineering, business and education programs.

Oluwasetitun

University of Minnesota- Duluth, or UMD (GO DOGS!!) is a great school, Everyone here is so welcoming, professors students, even just random strangers. There's nothing better than being in an open environment. Since the school is at the hill, you'll always get a great view of our beautiful Lake Superior! It always a fun time down at the lake and Canal park. UMD provides so many opportunities for literally anything, if you're not sure on what you might want to major in, you can just create one that's perfect to you with the help of our wonderful advisers, Can't really say a bad thing about being up but since we're so far up north it does get pretty cold here but the beauty of it all is that you don't even need to step outside to get to your classes since all the campus buildings are connected! UMD is great a place to be.

Mikala

My rating for University of Minnesota-Duluth: 4/5 stars. University of Minnesota-Duluth is a school for the modern chameleon: someone who has a multitude of interests and wants to check them all out. If you want to try out an academic club, they exist and have a good following. You want to experience the outdoors? Here, you can go out your front door and arrive at various natural areas (woods, lake, rivers, bluffs, etc) in a matter of minutes, or you can go with Recreational Sports and Outdoor Programs on a number of different guided trips for every season. For those interested in getting involved in clubs, there are hundreds of options ranging from Coloring Club to Greek Life. Each semester there is an Activity Fair where any student can visit club booths and see what campus has to offer. On-campus jobs are numerous and popular, and many students make use of the conveniency of working them. Intramurals are a huge part of campus life as well as football and hockey games, the latter of which draws the biggest crowd and most attention (back to back national champs!). The campus is constantly being updated and bettered for current and future students, and as a student you feel like you have a voice thanks to Student Association, another on-campus club. As a student at UMD, you can be sure that your educational experience is the top priority of administrators and professors, and that you will be able to find your niche and support for all the numerous experiences you'll encounter. Residence life is up to you; whether you would like to live in the on-campus residence halls or apartments, or off-campus in apartments or a house, there are many pros and some cons to each. There is a public transport option, the DTA, which can be daunting to make use of at first but if you stick to it, it will be a lifesaver in all seasons, especially the winter, and make you feel good about lessening your carbon footprint. In the surrounding area there are so many options for eating out and entertainment; just across the street there is a mini restaurant-strip mall, up the hill 15 minutes you'll find the shopping mall which offers anything and everything you may need, and down the hill 15 minutes is Canal Park, the go-to place on the weekends for bars and the go-to place to make the most of your Duluth residency by getting down to Lake Superior and up close to the Lift Bridge. Overall, UMD is the place for the person who wants to experience as much as possible in the time they have. UMD, just like any place, is what you make of it, but in my opinion, it's easy to enjoy yourself, find yourself, succeed and flourish as a Bulldog at the University of Minnesota-Duluth. Plus, you can be totally proud of the education and experiences you've had as a proud Bulldog. Go Dogs!