University of Mississippi Top Questions

Undrea

I think one of the most unique things about the University of Mississippi is that it is a beautiful campus in a sleepy, quaint southern town. It is easy to form close relationships there.

Madelynne

I grew up in Oxford, where Ole Miss is located, and always said I would never attend Ole Miss. After moving away from home for three years, I returned to Ole Miss because there is just something about the quaint atmosphere of Oxford. Ole Miss has that small town feel without having to compromise a good education and has plenty of careers to choose from. Career choices range from journalism to linguistics to pharmacy and they have their own medical school. If that is not diverse enough, I don't know what is.

The school sprit here is very strong. When Ole Miss football was going through a losing period, Ole Miss alumni and fans still came to the home games and celebrated as if Ole Miss never lost a game in Ole Miss history. Ole Miss also has a very strong southern charm...which can be good and bad.

William

The UM campus is beatuiful with its old trees and historic buildings. The cost of attendance is low. The staff is helpful and the professors are passionate and leaders in their fields. There are many strong academic programs such as the Croft Institute for International Studies.

LaShonda

The most unique thing about my school is that we are a familt full of different races considering the university being in the South.

Erica

Compared to other schools I considered, University of Mississippi offered more classes and had a great support staff. The professors were eager to provide additional assistance when needed. They were also wiling to provide recommendations for graduate school, for those interested. There were always opportunities for community service. In addition, "The Grove" was always the place to be the day of a football game. It brought everyone together, including students, faculty, alumni, and visitors. The University of Mississippi is a great place to be for academics and enjoyment.

Taylor

It has been said that Ole Miss has some of the most gorgeous women in the United States. And to clear the confusion, the rumors are true. There are so many gorgeous women walking around campus everywhere. Another saying that we have adopted is; "We may lose a game or two, but we have never ever lost a party!" Which is incredibly true. People here really do know how to party, I have never seen anything like it.

Taylor

My school has a a great amount of school pride and is based around our old traditions. We were able to hold the 2008 first presidential election and recently we had Bill Clinton come speak. Our campus is gorgeous and while the students like to party we are rated for one of the highest amounts of students who pray on college campuses. Our school represents the pride of the south.

Jesse

We love OLE MISS traditions We love COLONEL REB Hotty Toddy Fire Pete Boone and Fire Chancellor Jones

Tyler

Compared to the other schools i have considered, Ole Miss's atmosphere was something that really stood out to me. As soon as one enters the campus, it seems as though everything has changed in a better but more educational way. Also, the sense of family is another unique aspect of my school. Whether someone is Black, White, Asian, Irish, or Italian everyone treats each other like family.

Alicia

When I was choosing the right college for me, I chose Ole Miss because it would challenge me in a unique way. I was forced to open my eyes and embrace the traditions of a distinct culture in the heart of the south. I was also given the opportunity to make a change for the better on this campus that I may not have gotten the opportunity to do if I had went elsewhere. I am proud to say that I was able to successfully mend racial tension in the Greek and academic scene.

Kimberly

The campus is beautiful, and Ole Miss is about as Southern as it gets. It's a very close-knit kind of school - you do everything with your friends, and alumni come back years later and still have the same friends. Ole Miss is definitely about Southern tradition and spirit.

The school I attend is not a school that is nearby home for me. Of all the other schools I considered, this school was definitely the farthest from home. I decided I wanted to get away from home and explore different states in the country. I chose to begin my college career at the University of Mississippi, which was a total culture shock for someone like me who lives up north and has never been to the south. I have adjusted to these changes and I love the school I have chosen.

ali

you'll love ole miss, no doubt... you can't help but to, whether you come from mississippi or maine, ole miss has a certain atmosphere that i really don't think you can find anywhere else.

Erika

The environment and the people. There is a friendly sense among the people and a welcoming spirit.

Evan

All college trends tend to start in Oxford.

Jenna

It is a small town school with a big town sports team.

Jonathan

I really enjoy having our AMAZING Honors College, the beautiful Ford Center that was host to the first presidential debate between John McCain and Barack Obama, the Croft Institute for International Studies, and the William Winter Institute for Racial Recognition. These things each have helped me and my peers out tremendously. We also have a great football team, a gorgeous campus, and ample opportunities for undergraduate research.

William

MSU offers a lot of academic programs and conentrations that other schools did not have. and the atmosphere of being an SEC school allows for a lot of school spirit in sports.

Small town charm, close to home.

Katie

Deep-south tradtions, small town with big culture.

Craig

Enviorment

Katherine

The University of Mississippi is unique in its commitment to its students, faculty, and staff. We have the only school of pharmacy in the state of Mississippi, as well as the National Center for Natural Product Research. Our professors are constantly working on new research in their different fields, everything from nutrition and pharmaceutics to art and history. We are also unique in our campus culture. This is the only school I know of where people dress up in high heels and suits to attend a football game on Saturday. We have a very unique campus culture.

Shelly

Ole Miss is an amazing school. I feel like I'm able to get the entire package. I am getting a great education, but at the same time I'm able to have a really fun college experience and truly enjoy my college years.

Ole Miss is a typical college campus. There really aren't a lot of things I would change about Ole Miss because I think that it embodies most of the ideal collegiate characteristics.

Jordan

i love ole miss, i wish i was more involved but dont have time, i am graduating on time but not going to grad school yet. both parent went to school here, dad in a frat., no one form my high school other that me in my graduating class came to ole miss

Rebekka

The Ole Miss experience is entirely what you make it - it can be a never-ending party, a challenging scholarly journey, a beginning to a dream job, an introduction into politics, a way to start a family. It provides the opportunity for anything a person could think of, including the opportunity go to somewhere else, to be perfectly honest. At least, that's my experience.

Molly

one thing that needs work on campus is racial interaction. It is not yet where is should be. There needs to be more events and organizations that work together to fix this problem.