University of Mississippi Top Questions

Sport clubs and intramural sports are one of the most popular organizations on campus. I, myself am the Captain and President of the Ole Miss Men's Soccer Club. As well as an active member of numerous committees in my fraternity. It is easy to get involved on campus and so much fun. When I lived in the dorms, the easiest way to make new friends was by leaving your door open and letting people walk in and out. I made so many close friends that way. Ole Miss has been known as a party school and the rumors are obviously true. We have a large number of fraternities and sororities that host events on a weekly basis. As well as other groups and organizations that host events on as well as off campus. There are many different groups that host different types of parties or get-togethers. Some involve alcohol, because after all it is college, and others that do not. I absolutely love the fact that on a weekend I can sit down with a group and talk, or play games or just hang out without having a sip of alcohol.

By far, the most popular group on campus are the Greeks, and the most popular activity is the Grove (tailgating on home football game weekends). However, Campus Crusades is another huge group on campus, which focuses on Christian worship and holds a packed service every week. Theatre, Young Life, The Associated Student Body (student government), Ole Miss Outdoors, and the Student Media Center, to name a few, are also significant groups/organizations on campus. Combining all of the other groups actually out ranks the Greeks, who have their own little community anyway. As for the Grove -- SEC football is huge, and we have over 60,000 people cram into a small space for games, despite the fact that our team isn't all that great. It's a tradition, and it's an experience.

Football is great but tradition is the most important. SAVEOLEMISS.COM reveals the ongoing battle between the Colonel Reb Foundation and the hated Chancellor Dan Jones

ali

there are so many clubs and organizations - religious, political, social..... they really never end. when i lived in the dorm, i was best friends with every girl on my floor (ole miss does not have co-ed dorms) as well as many girls on other floors. it's so easy to meet people, in fact, you meet someone almost every day either through someone or in a class. the nightlife at ole miss is going to the bar at the square, a house party or to a fraternity party. there is always a good band playing somewhere in town.

Ole Miss Fans sliding down the hill 04

Shelly

Most people here are involved in the greek system. Therefore, there's definitely a lot of drinking that goes on here. However, I think a lot of times people get the impression that all frats guys and sorority girls drink and that isn't true at all. I'm in a sorority and I don't drink. Not only that, but most of the friends that I hang out with in my sorority also choose to not drink.

Ann

Ole Miss popular activities include sports and religious affiliations. I am involved in Reformed University Fellowship (RUF) and Campus Crusade is another popular religious organization. My sorority is another major activity of mine and through it I am involved in a lot of philanthropic activity. The Honors College is another activity I am involved in. Guest speakers come to our Brown Bag Lecture series, which are held every Wednesday at noon. I have been to one (as a requirement for a Journalism class) but I learned that these are a great opportunity and should be taken advantage of. I have met my closest friends from RUF and from my sorority. Sorority sisters and fraternity brothers for the most part hang out with members of their affiliation. Many students are big partiers, going out most nights of the week. There are three 18 bars, which are popular spots for freshman and underclassmen. Oxford provides a lot of entertainment for people who do not wish to participate in the bar scene.

I'm involved with a sorority on campus. Most students in dorms leave their doors open to welcome friends. Not a lot of Ole Miss students are in serious relationships until they get older.

ASB is a big organization on campus. I'm involved with Delta Gamma. Students do usually leave there doors open. Athletic events are very popular herer. Guests speakers do come very often and many plays are performed on campus. I meet my friends through the dorm, class, and my sorority. On facebook or cramming for an exam. Sorority and Fraternity events for our philanthropy. People party a good bit here but nothing out of the norm from other colleges. The greek system is very important. I celebrated my birthday.Go to the movies, go over to a friends house, you can go out without drinking just about anything you want to do. I like to go to Sardis, like to excercise at the park, go to movies, eat out, and shop.

Greek system, hands down, most popular. The girls leave their doors open to socialize, while inside of couse. Football, basketball, and baseball season are the most popular atheletics. I met my friends in class, in my sorority, fraternity parties, bars, out and about. If i'm awake late, im probably procrastinating on facebook. People party mostly thursdays, fridays, and saturdays. A sober Saturday night includes dinner, maybe a movie, staying in.

sorority and frat. intermural sports, football/tailgating i am in a sorority, delta gamma. it seems like we are very laid back but also competative, very realistic/great girls. there is a lot of partying at ole miss. the bars only stay open until 12 or 1am though!

Most popular activities on campus are related to Greek life. Sororities and fraternities are very popular organizations. Football games, basketball games, and baseball games are all popular sporting events on campus.

hannah

the grove and sporting events are important to ole miss students.

See above paragraph.

Christy

I met my closes girl friends through my sorority and the honors college, and a most of my guy friends through my classes and fraternities. I am very involved with the Ole Miss Ad Club, a young advertising club on campus, and my sorority.

Ole Miss students love two things- Sports and Partying. These two often are blended together as well. Part of the fun of football games is the revelry in The Grove, and at baseball games students are allowed to bring coolers.

Janna

Sororities and fraternities are BIG on the Ole Miss campus. If you're not part of one, you feel like you're missing out. I recently pledge Omega Phi Alpha, which is a service sorority. Unlike social sororities, OPhiA does not have a house on campus, and it does not host huge parties. The main function of OPhiA is service. We complete projects for each of four service areas: the university community, the community-at-large, the members of the sorority and the nations of the world. For me, it was the perfect alternative to joining a social sorority. OPhiA provides friendship and fellowship while promoting service and allowing girls to become leaders in the organization. I met one of my good friends at transfer orientation, and thank goodness I did or neither of us would have survived the first semester! I met another friend in a class on Greek civilization, and we bonded over the horrendousness of the course. I've met other friends in class, at work and through organizations I'm involved in. There's a place in Oxford called the Square. It's full of clubs, shops and restaurants and is the place to be Thursday through Saturday night. I don't go there a lot, but I've had fun the times I have gone out.

Susan

Wow. Social life at Ole Miss... so much to say. People do "go out" a lot at Ole Miss, but you're definitely not going to be left out if you don't. As I said before, you can find any type of person at Ole Miss, but honestly, most people do seem to be the partying type. Tailgating in the Grove before home football games is one of the most fun experiences a student here can have. Sororities and fraternities are important here, but I've had positive experiences as both an independent and a sorority member. There are lots of things to do off campus that involve either drinking or non-drinking... there are definitely lots of great bars around, but there are other things to do. They have amazing restaurants and stores on the square. Thacker Mountain Radio is held every Thursday at Offsquare Books, and it's great. There are tons of things to do in Oxford.

The most popular organization at Ole Miss is the Greek organization. There is a mentality of "Go Greek, or Die!" amongst the student body. The shopping and dining in Oxford, particularly concentrated on The Square, is considered fine and high-end. This attributes to the fact that most of the student body is of high socio-economic background. One better be prepared with Daddy's credit card!

I live in a dorm on Campus, at first I was extremely against it... But now that i'm here living, I love it! I've met so many people through my dorm. Leaving the door open is a great way to meet everyone walking past your door. Dorm Life is an excellent way to interact with fellow freshmen.

meghan

Most popular groups are overwhelmingly going to be greek organizations. But student alumni council, campus crusade, and political organizations are all very popular too. One of my favorite groups that I'm involved in is the Italian Club. Its really neat to be able to hang out with italians in mississippi. Its like a little taste of italy down here. The campus is very safe and most students have no reason to steal so yes, from my experience, students in dorms do leave their dorms open most of the time. Athletic events are very popular. Football games are the most popular followed by baseball. Our teams arent really that good for the most part...besides baseball, but the fan base stays constant. Guest speaks are fairly popular. The Honors College holds a convocation every semester with a dignified speaker. These events are open to the public and are pretty popular among the more involved students. Theater...not so much. Annual traditions are few and far between. The homecoming parade is always a big deal as it going throughout the entire town and involved a large portion of the campus. Each greek organization and some other groups make floats to be in the parade along with homecoming queen, colonel reb, and miss ole miss. People party every night. Its a known fact. Bars on the square have different specials each night of the week that attract kids whenever. To reiterate: fraternities/sororities are very important. WIthout them the campus would not be anything near what it is now. Last weekend I went to atlanta, but that's pretty rare. I've been on campus basically every other weekend this semester. Oftentimes on saturday nights a place called the power house will hold a saturday night live type comedy production. Thats been a big hit for the non bar scene in oxford. Off campus we go to the square. We also go to memphis as it is only about 45 minutes away and is the nearest civilization.