University of Mississippi Top Questions

The worst thing about my school would have to be the distance between buildings. There is a ton of walking to class and food places from my dorm, but I get a good exercise in daily.

Alaina

I don't really know. You really can't ride a bike on the campus due to being so many steep hills.

The closed-mindedness of the student body.

victoria

It was once the most racist school ever and it is still known for it even though the school has came a long way.

Currently, we are undergoing the reconstruction of the older residential dorms on campus. The construction trucks, trash chutes, and debris block at least a dozen parking spots just in my dorm alone. We are constantly being disturbed by construction workers walking throughout our building. At times that we would like to sleep in the mornings and study in the afternoons, the obnoxious banging and booming keeps us from doing so. This is very beneficial to our expanding study body, but I think the best times to work on such a large project is over winter and summer break.

The racism. It is not loud or obvious racism, but there is subtle racism among the admistration and the student body. There is a lot of racial ignorance and insensitivity here. The conservatism here is very strong. Do not go to Ole Miss if you are very liberal and outspoken. You will go crazy. Ole Miss ignores many important social issues like poverty, racism, sexism, and lgbt issues in their university.

Cara

I think a lot of people at my school take everything for granted. They expect to get everything handed to them so they do not take academics as seriously as they should. Also, Greek Life is way too important at my school. If you do not go through rush, especially as a guy, it will be hard to make friends.

The worst part is that incoming freshman are required to by an $800+ meal plan. There is no getting around it.

Farrah

What I would consider the worst thing about the University of Mississippi is the hills. It is pretty awesome that the bad thing about a school is the hills. But they really aren't bad at all, just walking from your dorm to class wears you out, and before you know it, you're breathing heavy and needing water. But it is an excellent work out, and no one can complain about that!

Kalee

The foreign teachers that don't know what they're talking about and can't explain themselves very well. They also can't speak English very well so it is hard to understand them and learn in their classes.

Ryla

The worst thing about my school is that it's in a small town. I love my college, but don't like the town where it's located. I like big cities.

Camille

In walking across campus, it becomes strikingly obvious that Ole Miss is a school of clones. For the most part, it seems that everyone is in a greek organization although it can be said that you can find some people who are not drawn to fraternity life.

It is easy to feel socially anxious or pressured.

I believe the worst thing about the University of Mississippi is the lack of updated dorms. Dorm life is an important part of the college experience and the Univeristy of Mississippi needs to update most of the dorms bathrooms and kitchens.

The worst thing about the University of Mississippi is the transportation system. As far as I know, there has never been an actual student transportaion/bus system in the city of Oxford (University), MS. Since the 2008 Presidential Debate, effort has been put forth to change this lack of transportation. The recent addition of mini-shuttles have been established to get a small number of students on campus to and fro with a limited number of locations for pick-up.

Jerri

I don't like the no smoking rules. They are not smoker-friendly.

emphasis on greek life

Jaime

I believe that some of the freshman courses that are larger and required for your particular major are probably the worst thing about the school--the professors are more impersonal in those sections, however, once you proceed in your major the teachers are wonderful

Robeson

Students whom are well off by their parents.

Frank

The worst thing is the 12 hour drive from my home state of North Carolina to Ole Miss. But once I arrive I feel at home again. It's too bad such a spectacular place isn't located further north but if it was it would probably lose some of its majesty. Honestly, the little town of Oxford, Mississippi and the university itself is one of the most glorious places on earth that I've found. It is certainly difficult being so far away from my family for such a long time but the sacrifice is definitely worth the reward.