University of Mississippi Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Mississippi

Torrence

Glad that I chose to attend here. It’s great to be somewhere to enjoy seeing that everybody is important. I am a student-athlete and administration, coaches, staff, and fellow teammates have all welcomed me and assisted me. I am a member of the track and field team.

Amy

Everyone's experiences with this campus will vary, of course. It took me about a year to finally feel okay up here and find a better apartment. (hint: check out everything about the apartment before you sign). If you are content in staying in one town and not having to travel for an airport, your relationship, entertainment, etc. Then maybe Oxford is your city. I grew up in a place with a beach, airport, small nightlife, way better food, 4-5 cities strung together into a coastal area, so it is very hard to compare life down there to up here. There is limited nightlife to the square and the string of restaurants on Jackson Ave that mostly all close by 10, except fillups on the square and fast food on Jackson. If you can't live without Waffle House at 2 am, I hate to break it to you, but this is not your place to go to school. When picking a college, it is every bit as important to also know what town, city or village you are also picking. I will give Ole Miss the academics are really challenging, so if that is what you are looking for I highly recommend especially if you want to work in a research lab. There truly are some fantastic programs here, but also know you're signing up for a dense small-town America. Another thing I have been very impressed with and happy about since arriving on campus is the number of international students that study here for a semester or year(s). I hope the university continues increasing their numbers as it not only helps students here broaden their perspectives, but this also opens doors to friendships and opportunities between internationals and UM students.

Khiyee

I really love Ole Miss and I hope that i can attend this university in the next Fall.

Faith

The University of Mississippi has a few things that really work for it: it's a gorgeous campus, everything is walking distance and it's got a southern charm. But it's southern charm can also be it's downfall depending on your views. There's still struggle with some old southern fashions. My biggest problem with the university is that the arts are barely funded. EVERYTHING goes to sports and campus construction projects. The theatre building is a joke and the music students need equipment and some attention. And these two areas are my areas of study so I feel unimportant as a student compared to all the other majors at the university.

LaDarius

I believe my university has so many opportunities that we are able to utilize. The campus itself is beautiful and filled with history. The diversity on campus is plentiful plus friendly. Going into my fourth year on this campus is sad yet exciting because I can look back and see how this university has helped me grow and the future it will lead me to.

Alexandria

the campus is beautiful, the game day spirit is huge. I love the sorority life. The professors are super nice and knowledgeable. The advising staff is very helpful as I went thru a major change. The students are very friendly and approachable. I wasn't used to the dorm life. The dorms seem to be really old and need some maintenance. When I moved in, my dad had to fix my closet door, it wouldn't shut and he had to clean the chair they gave me, it was very very dirty. There were ants in the room and we had to buy some bug spray. The lounge area seating was very dirty and dusty. I just don't feel comfortable hanging out there. The bathrooms need to be updated, no hot water in showers most of the time, just needs to be spruced up a bit! Otherwise, if you can overlook some of the things, Ole Miss is a great school!

Spencer

The University of Mississippi prides itself on diversity and continuing to incite that sentiment. By pursuing such, the campus becomes a hub of culture exposure and enlightenment. To be enrolled at The University of Mississippi means one will become neighbors with people from all around the world. As a resident of the American Southeast my whole life, its been an extreme pleasure to meet such a diverse amount of friends and now family! The University of Mississippi, a hub in the sub-of the south hahaha :)

The University of Mississippi is an incredible university. Mississippi State has a more prominent engineering department, but Ole Miss makes up for in in atmosphere. We are like one big family and I could not have picked a better university to go to.

Cameron

Attending Ole Miss has been the best decision I've made in my life.

kajah

It is a great university. It has its problems like any other school but it is still a great place to go. There is always something to do. The free T-shirts are plentiful. You can always find a quiet space to chill on campus. For the most part, the professors will help you as long as you are trying. Lastly, game day is sacred. Saturday's down south are no joke.

Shaunice

I love it at ole Miss. Although I have not been involved in much besides class, there is literally something for everyone to do! I recently changed my major and I am super excited I feel like this is a better career choice for me. I know you'll love it at Ole Miss. Yes its pricey but its nice!

Christina

Ole Miss is amazing. While Greek life and football pretty much rule, it is perfectly possible to enjoy yourself without either of them. I do it on a regular basis. There is a peer group here for everybody even if there is not necessarily a student organization for everybody, despite what proponents often say. All schools have their pros and cons, but there is no where else I would rather be. Go Rebels!!

Rebecca

Awesome school

Benedra

the best school ever

Sierre

A great school, but definitely not something people strive for if from outside of Mississippi. A legacy school through and through. Making it in was not my stretch goal, but it was definitely satisfactory. Classes are well-designed and the curriculum builds on itself so that classes have cross-over and create a well-balanced basis for education.

While the University of Mississippi is most definitely a beautiful campus to be on, there is not much to it. Many of the students I see around me are solely focussed on the material things such as which sorority they are in, or how much money Tony from their favorite fraternity has and if he would take her out and make her look good to everyone else. In the fall, don't even think about doing anything on the weekends besides going to the football games and getting completely trashed. In the spring, if you can't find yourself at the nearest spring party, then wow you must be the most uncool person on campus. So, while there is much potential to be one of the best colleges in the south, it falls short due to the important materialistic opinions of the students.

Destiny

The University of Mississippi is such a unique and special campus. It's not overwhelmingly big but not too small. It's the perfect size to get from class to class and to meet up with friends. I fell in love the day that I visited. I truly couldn't see myself anywhere else. Most class sizes are fairly small which is great because that makes it easier to connect with professors and ask more questions. Football games are taken seriously in Oxford and they are such an amazing experience. I've met so many great people, including my best friends. I'm excited to spend the rest of my college life in Mississippi.

Mia

I love Ole Miss. It is a great school for anyone looking for that classic College experience. Football and all sport events are a huge deal and such a fun time. Greek life is also a big part of the school. For me, it was important to go to a college where I felt I was going to get my perfect college experience.

Vernetha

I love this University of Mississippi.

Grace

I really enjoy going to college at Ole Miss. It is the perfect balance of academics and fun and the campus has a lot of safety procedures. There is a lot of partying, but I choose not to participate in it and still have a great time. Oxford is a beautiful town and it is always fun to go on a trail walk or to the Square on weekends.

The University of Mississippi is a great school! I love the atmosphere, and I am sure there are plenty that can agree. It feels like home; there is always someone welcoming you or willing to help you out with school work or simply finding a building on campus. I especially love the classes. So far I am confident these courses will prepare me for my future career in law.

Asya

It is a great campus loved by even those who do not attend. Students and alumni live for the grove and football season. Hotty Toddy! The courses can be challenging but the experience is wonderful. It is very open and diverse university. The student population increases each year; it has definitely become a favorite in the state of Mississippi.

Victoria

I visited University Of Mississippi during the summer, and it was an amazing experience. I had amazing professors who truly listened when I had issues, and then campus was also absolutely stunning. Whenever you need a break, a simple walk through the campus suffices.

The greatest school on earth. The campus is beautiful and the students and people who go here and live in Oxford are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Sports are important but so are academics and you can always find people studying outside of class. Parties are fun but so is getting involved in an organization around campus.

Takia

The University of Mississippi is overall a fantastic university. Although classes may be big, professors have office hours outside of class hours that they are available to speak with you. It is a very welcoming environment and feels like home.

ashley

I love Ole Miss with all my heart. The past two years that I have studied there have been the best years of my life. I would not change a single second of my experience here. There's always something to do and a large variety of groups to join. Ole Miss is simply a special place.

caroline

The University of Mississippi is more than just a university. It is a home away from home. I have been going to the University of Mississippi since I was a baby. The atmosphere gets better and better with each year I go. This year, my senior year of high school, I have been to the University multiple times. Each time, I have been showered with hospitality from the people that I knew that already attended and so many new people that I have met through them. Whether I know them or not, the people that attend welcome me with open arms. It is like this everywhere you go on the campus whether it be the athletic department, art department, Honors College, sorority or fraternity houses, or any of the other institutes that the University of Mississippi has. This helped influence my decision to attend the University in the fall of 2018.

dolnesha

The University of Mississippi is a great college. I plan to attend right after high school. I have heard good things, and I have seen good things. I think that if anyone visits Oxford Mississippi, they have to come tour Ole Miss campus. The campus is just full of life and excite. There is so many friendly people on campus that would welcome anyone.

Alice

When I was doing my college search, a lot of people (including my parents) tried to dissuade me from going to Ole Miss. I had always been told that Ole Miss was a party school, and that it focused mainly on sorority/fraternity life instead of academics. I decided to come here on my own after receiving a great scholarship and after visiting the quaint city of Oxford. I fell in love with it, and now I can't imagine myself being anywhere else. It's a great school with plenty to offer and makes a point to focus on inclusion and diversity.

Mary

Overall Oxford and The University of Mississippi makes for a great experience. Always something to do and Academics are just as important as athletics as well as the arts. There is a variety of options when it comes to shopping and dining. The atmosphere of the school and its community is one in a million. Oh yeah, Hotty Toddy!!

Christina

I just finished my freshman year at Ole Miss and truly couldn't picture myself at any other college. The town of Oxford is so quaint--a true college town. There is everything you need, and not much you don't need. The school has everything: serious academics, greek life, lively sporting events, and a family-feel. Hotty Toddy!

My overall opinion about the University of Mississippi is multiple things. I strongly believe we had a great academic program to help students such as myself succeed. Not only as a student,but the staff as well helps the students to their success. The professors vary depending on who you reach out to some will go out of their way to help you as much as they can including touring you, where others show you ways you can seek out for help. Yes, academics come first, but we are also a huge sports school, the students get involved and have so many opportunities to join activities or participate in. We of coarse have out school sports, clubs, and intramural clubs that any one can join which I find amazing. We are a huge football tailgating season school have the best tailgating around. Everyone from all over gets together before the game and they have tents some with chandlers, home cooked food, flat screen TV's and much more. It is truly an amazing and unforgettable experience that everyone needs to experience once. Along with that we have a fairly large Greek life here at Ole Miss, there are several sororities to choose from, but you do not have to be in Greek life to go here. Your first year you stay on campus super convenient and not to bad I enjoyed my first year. The staff are truly amazing and super sweet always willing to help if you have an issue they are there for you. My opinion is that Ole Miss does a great job with keeping equality between everyone within the campus and you make so many friends along the way. I am going onto my second year and I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to come back I live twelve hours away and love this school. I have made so many friends, accomplished multiple things,joined club soccer, got involved including with Greek life and still managed to get a great education on the way. I highly recommend or even consider looking into this school because it really makes you feel like you are at home. HOTTY TODDY!

Sophia

Ole Miss is a fantastic school and its community is one like no other. A small town with a huge heart for all things rebel. From whatever background you come from, you know you'll have a huge diverse family of students yelling "Hotty Toddy" right next to you in the Grove on game day. Every trashcan Friday is something to look at in awe. Every long night at JD Williams is one you'll remember forever even if you're just studying biochem and stressing out. Ole Miss is easy to make a home if you're open to it. Not everyone is in a sorority/fraternity, and not everyone is part of some sports team or committee. Just being a student is cool enough but I encourage all to be apart of something!

Madison

The University of Mississippi, better known as Ole Miss, is an infamous school in the United States of America. Named "The Biggest Party School in the Nation" more than once in the past few decades has given Ole Miss a reputation. Not only has the students' tendencies for a good time given the school a bad name, but its athletic history has not done much to repair the school's reputation. Throughout Ole Miss's history, it has survived a fluctuation of bad-good-great-terrible sports records, but it has also suffered at the hands of those who held leadership positions within the athletics department. Throughout the Southeastern Conference, and possibly throughout America, Ole Miss is known for its corruption in sports. And while many people think they know Ole Miss, they do not know the University of Mississippi. These two titles, while they name the same entity, are two completely different things. Ole Miss represents an idea- the idea of a good time, whether it be drinking and watching a football game. Ole Miss represents the idea of unbreakable brotherhood and community. But the University of Mississippi- this is a foundation. This is the backbone of everything red and blue, of everything "Hotty Toddy" and of everything "Hell Yeah, Damn Right". The University of Mississippi is the academic side of this flagship university. The University of Mississippi is what bred the idea of Ole Miss. The University of Mississippi is my personal favorite taste of this experience. The scholarship found within this campus is surreal and unlike any other knowledgeable experience I have ever felt. The deep desire to learn and grow is breathtaking. I don't simply mean the 4.0 GPA crazed students found in the library (the reading library- not the bar Library), but I mean the students outside protesting for what they feel is unjust. I mean the students who are up at 4 am searching for William Faulkner's grave to complete the freshmen bucket list. I mean the students who stand on Business Row in the freezing cold or beating sun to recruit you for their organization or to simply give "Free Hugs" for mental health. These students are here to learn and grow and become the best person they can be. And that is what I love about the University of Mississippi. This place is my home. This place has graced me with more knowledge and growth than the previous eighteen years of my life has provided. I have found myself, and I love her. I guess that is my overall opinion of the University of Mississippi- its that she is both gracious and vicious, she gives and she takes. She wants us to learn and loves for us to party. This school is the best decision I ever made.

Brannon

God help the poor soul that accepts a job in the admissions office at Ole Miss. Don't work there if you value yourself in the least.

Shanterra

I love the atmosphere. Everyone here is so friendly. The only thing is that they do not have affordable off-campus housing for students who may have children and are married. Besides that, this is a very great school. But, it is known as a party school and with all of the extracurricular activities , it is hard to really stay focused. Greek life is a huge part of this school community and I find it quite overwhelming at time. Academics are really great and class sizes are a bit to large. My first year here was a bit overwhelming but, that just may be due to home sickness. Great school! I would definitely recommend it to others who ask. They have a variety of ways for you to get involved and gain an education. Their online program is superb. They also have satellite campuses around which is a big plus.

Destiny

There are several ways the university can improve the student's experience. The biggest deal for me is the parking situation. There are no parking spaces at any time throughout the campus, especially one next to specific buildings. Next, the tuition is not affordable for regular students.

The University of Mississippi is an awesome school. It is small and they are really big on academics. Some people say that it is a party school, but I slightly disagree. The people are nice and the professors are willing to help you if you need help. This is my first year here and they made me feel at home the first day I moved in. There are a lot of things to love about this school.

Zachery

I love Ole Miss. The administration tends to let the minority opinion run the school, but other than that, its great. The students are left out in a lot of decisions, such as the state flag and the band playing Dixie. But the tradition here is amazing.

Stacy

Ole Miss is one of my favorite college campuses that I have ever been on. The beautiful campus matches the warm and welcoming personalities of students and faculty alike. There is nothing as exhilarating as a sports event at Ole Miss, especially a football game.

Rebecca

The University of Mississippi should be everyone's dream school. There are lots of people and plenty of hospitality! The campus is absolutely beautiful and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved on campus. Their Greek life is pretty huge, though I'm not involved, I would have loved to have been a part of a sister hood. Campus living is great, rooms are big, and you can potentially make plenty of friends while living in dorms. I've been living in the campus apartments for this past year, and they are also very nice and spacious! I definitely recommend anyone to check out this school, and see what they have to offer!

Victoria

Though this school is thought of as a party school, I feel that I am receiving a high-quality education through the university. The honors college is amazing, and I have been satisfied with the class size. The diversity is a little lacking but it is improving.

The University of Mississippi is a very welcoming and intellectually stimulating environment for students and professors alike. I enjoy talking with my friends and professors about rather controversial issues, but keeping level heads about the situation. The cafeterias and restaurants are nice, living accommodations are very standard, and there is a large diversity of students. Although, there are drug and alcohol scenes across campus, it is a very good campus and I would recommend it to any one of my peers looking to attend an esteemed university where they expand their horizons with likeminded people.

Jordan

If you are a student who is looking for a home away from your home, the University of Mississippi is the place for you. If you don't want to move to Mississippi to attend school, do not take a visit because you will fall in love with this university! In all seriousness, the University of Mississippi is a very unique school because of its family-atmosphere. Everyone that visits our University can tell you about that feeling. It is just something that cannot be put into words. It doesn't stop there, though. The academics at the University of Mississippi are outstanding! Every class you take makes you just grow as a person in some type of way. Although some freshman courses do have a fairly large amount of students, the professors are always willing to work with you. They truly care about the success of each and every student. I have been in classes with over 200 students in it, and my professor attempted to memorize most of everyone's name. I could go on for days about my University, but for you to truly grasp what we have to offer, I would suggest scheduling a visit to see what all the hype is about.

Quentaisha

I think the University of Mississippi is only very great to certain people. I am a person of color and I struggle with everything at this university. I can barely afford it and almost can not get any help from the workers there and it saddens me. I really need this scholarship so I can afford to finish and graduate college.

Lindsey

I love my school! Coming from a small town very close to Ole Miss, I always knew that I would end up here, but I never fully knew how much of an impact this wonderful place would have on me. I have met some of my best friends here so far and have made more memories than I could have ever thought possible. Ole Miss has opened so many doors for me, and I love this place and its people so much. Hotty Toddy!

Claire

There’s a lot to the University of Mississippi. I readily admit that there is some tough history here that can never be ignored. However, if we are tenacious in making our school an inclusive, loving, socially-aware place, there is so much Ole Miss has to offer. It would be rude and ignorant for me to gloss over our past. I can assure you, though, the school is in great standing today. As a student, you will see from day one that the University does everything in their power to make sure you feel safe in your new home. At orientation, there are presentations that tell you all the ways to make sure you are safe on campus. There is an app that works with the local police to make sure you get home safely and authorities know where you are. There are background-checked volunteers who walk people around campus if they feel unsafe at the press of a button. There is a policy on campus that you will not be reprimanded if you are caught drinking underage or using illegal substances because Ole Miss’ first priority is that you are safe. The school wants to make sure you always feel like you can talk to them and never want you to be alone. Freshman year, you will be urged to take either African American history or Southern History. Both are very eye-opening and encourage kids to become more aware of Mississippi’s past and socially conscious as to other student’s backgrounds. I have personally seen kids from poor, mostly caucasian towns go from snide and isolated to kind and friendly because of an inclusivity they had never seen before at the University of Mississippi. There is an opportunity at this school for everyone to become someone to be proud of. And how could I not mention the spirit? When you walk in the grove, there is a feeling of bliss. Everyone here is your brother and your friend. You can study anywhere, you can eat anywhere. Everywhere you look, there is someone new to talk to. When you sit in the student section, hearing the famous “are you ready!”, you will feel a passion pumping through your veins only the University of Mississippi could give you. If you aren’t sure, take a tour. This place is your home, and we are waiting with open arms. Love always and Hotty Toddy!

Hayden

I have found my place at this university and consider it to be my new home. The people I have met here have opened my eyes to a number of new viewpoints and ideas, and I believe I am in a very open-minded and safe location. I have been exposed to several new opportunities that I would not have gotten elsewhere. This is truly the best university in the South!

Ash

The Univeristy of Mississippi is the flagship school of the state, and has massive appeal for its beauty, friendliness, and football scene. I have enjoyed living here more than I thought I would; as one of the smallest schools in the SEC, it succeeds in keeping a small feel despite the student population. Greek Life and football is incredibly important, but it is easy enough to find those who are not rushing and don't much care about the SEC hype. The professors are quality teachers and the modern housing is quite nice.

Tia

The University of Mississippi is a wonderful school to attend. They offer several rigorous academic programs. The community is really friendly and there are several opportunities on campus that can lead you to a brighter future. Ole Miss students and alumni have an enormous amount of school spirit because we are willing to put back into the university that has given us the opportunity to be successful in every way.