University of Missouri-Columbia Top Questions

What are your classes like?

Melyssa

Right now my classes are pretty easy. This is because they are smaller classes and there is a lot of interaction with my professors. Any class here can be easy if you take time to get to know your teachers and go to class. Most of my classes have an attendance grade, which isn't normal at Mizzou, but it really helps force people to go to class, which in turn helps students get better grades.

Maddie

I've had a couple large lectures of 200 people or so, but the norm is around 30-40 students in a traditional classroom setting. After freshman year, most classes come down in size. It's rare to have a "small" class, but I find that I get a good mix of anonymity when I want it and personal attention when I need it. Beware: lower level classes (general ed. classes like Psych or Bio) generally mean huge lectures, lots of TAs and little one-on-one time with your professors. This works for some people, but not for everyone. Some of these courses are also taught (poorly) by Grad students. This is where making friends with advisers and older students makes all the difference - they can steer you in the right direction. Rigor also varies greatly depending on subject and teacher. I had one class I hardly read a book for, and another class that I read a novel a week.

Erin

Especially the past few semesters, my classes in the School of Journalism have been very challenging and I have spent a lot of time on projects, tests, etc. However, through my classwork alone I've been able to create a rather impressive portfolio, and that's not even including all of the work I've done for different news organizations like KOMU, Newsy and the Missourian. While Mizzou will push you to be the best, intellectually and professionally, that you can be, you will go up to that same professor who drove you nuts Sophomore year after graduation, give them a hug and say "Thank you."

Rebecca

Here we will talk to two journalism students about the pros and cons of the famous J-school.