University of Missouri-Kansas City Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Missouri-Kansas City

Hayley

UMKC is an excellent university to prosper in! With several scholarship opportunities, you can graduate debt-free! I am. Teachers respond to you in a timely manner through email or office hours. Also, the environment is extremely welcoming! I have never felt uncomfortable at UMKC, honestly. I would highly recommend this college, which also boasts Division-1 sports teams, as a place for incoming students.

Chante

UMKC is an extremely diverse school filled with over 350 different organizations, great teachers, a nice campus setting, and great shopping and dining places in the area.

Michele

My experience as both an undergraduate and graduate student at the University of Missouri-Kansas City was good. I was a non-traditional student in both instances. My professors in the graduate program were much more accessible as they only managed School of Social Work students. As a working student, it was good for me to have options for when and how I could take my courses. But it was more important that I had professors who were flexible. Often, some professors could be inflexible and forgot what it was like to be a student who manages multiple roles and experience life’s challenges. Throughout my pursuit of a master’s degree, all of my professors understood that, and I did not suffer academically for those life challenges. I was always an intellectual student. But I could not always have perfect attendance, and occasionally needed an assignment extension. Without a professor’s flexibility, I would not have succeeded. Conversely, during my undergraduate career, not all of my professors were as flexible. Although most were, some were not. Those who held strict standards, created challenges for me. Of course, they are likely challenges students will meet at any institution. Moreover, while I appreciated the diversity among students, I still believe that more diversity is needed among the faculty with respect to race/ethnicity. But I am sure that the university will continue to work on that. When I graduated, I joined the faculty on a part-time basis as an Adjunct Professor, because I am deeply connected to the students and want to help them succeed. I determined that if I wanted to see more diversity and flexibility, I needed to be part of that change.

Madison

There are so many reasons I choose to come to this university, and now that I am a current student, so many reason I love it. It is a beautiful campus in the middle of Kansas City. There is always something to do and places to go. My class are very intellectually stimulating, and I feel like my professors genuinely want my classmate and I to succeed. I plan to attend the University of Missouri-Kansas City for all four years and possibly even for graduate school.

Teah

All the professors I have had are amazing. They are very helpful, encouraging, interesting, intelligent, and they care about the students. The campus is beautiful and the courses are great. The class sizes are small enough to provide opportunities to get to know your peers and professors better.

Dowley

University of Missouri Kansas City is a great school if you are looking for a university with tons of degree options and a school full of diversity with student from different religion, culture and traditions. Also with 300 and more organizations for student to join. There's always help from graduated students who come by to help the new student to get well adjusted to the school and feel at home.

Rosie

University of Missouri - Kansas City, feels like a big community college because of the high commuting from students but overall everybody I have met has goals that they want to achieve and are active in the school community and even outside of it which is super inspiring to see other people grow. Honestly, in order to go far, you have to be able to push yourself in circumstances where you feel scared in and in the end I was able to make great friends and build great connections and still building my community thanks to UMKC.

San

UMKC is home to a diverse group of students. There's always something to do, and always something to see. The Women's and Men's Soccer Teams get the most hype, with free t-shirts and food trucks drawing thousands of students to the main lawn. Want to exercise? The Swinney Gym is a great place to get a workout. If you want to burn crazy calories, then definitely sign up for one of many UMKC Free workout classes. I love TRX and Pilates, and best of all, it's free! UMKC has a wide variety of classes, from Oil Fracking to the History of Rock and Roll. UMKC's education is top-notch. The classes are grueling because they want you to be prepared for the real world. If you want a decent meal, then the "caf" is the place to go. It's got hot food, sweet desserts, cookies, french fries, pizza, and so much more, what's not to love? The caf is like a young adult's dream buffet: all you can eat for just one swipe. But go easy on the cookies, you still want enough room for all the other free food UMKC offers. Did I mention we had an avocado food truck once?! Go to the student union and you've stumbled upon the treasure of the entire school. At the Union, there's something happening for everyone, and if you can't find anything, they'll make something happen for you. Honestly, considering everything, the best part about UMKC is diversity. You'll never feel alone here. There are people from every walk of life and from every culture possible. There is so much to learn from everyone and everyone is so kind and welcoming.

Patrick

UMKC is a great college for people willing to take school seriously. Those who like to prioritize partying above studying will not last long here. The classes are challenging but rewarding, the gym is cool, and the scenery on campus is pretty gorgeous. The surrounding area is fantastic. Coffee shops, music venues, great food.

Samir

I honestly love University of Missouri-Kansas City because you get all the amenities of a major university but the smaller class sizes of a community college. Also the community here is very helping and caring, from having all my friends here to how helpful the teachers are. You are never looked down on when you ask a question in class, and the teachers love it when you come to get help during their office hours. Overall i would say I love this college and just about everything about it.

Amiya

Great school! You’re able to make lifelong friendships there. On campus housing is great! Class sizes varies. Could be more diverse. We have many clubs and organizations for students to join. Our most popular building is the Student Union. We have Chick-fil-a, Picklemans, and Jazz’ Cafe on campus

Brooklyn

It's a really nice campus, and conveniently located for a lot of midwesterners. I am frequently reminded of my resources to advisers or services provided, and I know there is always someone near by to help. I wish there were more parking, but that's probably every campus. Although our city bus system combined with our student ID's being free bus passes is pretty amazing, and incredibly helpful.

Bethany

This is a really strong, arts-based school. There are great academics, but like every other school, it has its weaknesses. The on-campus housing is definitely not a strong suit, but the dance department has amazing faculty and makes everyone work hard.

Kevin

Perfect size! I chose UMKC for the following reasons and heres why you should too! Although I went to high school in Platte City, MO, UMKC feels really close to home and I love that it's 10 minutes away from the heart of Kansas City. Being around the metro area, you're more likely involved in the city, which is a good thing if you're trying to get your name out there in the real world. I also chose UMKC because the campus size was the perfect fit! Not too little and not too big, I navigated my way around campus just fine on the first day. This made it easy to commute and get involved on campus without feeling lost. Overall, UMKC was made for me and you as well!

Abigail

I love the University of Missouri -Kansas City. It was my dream school for the longest time. However, yes the campus may lack decent meals but good teachers who put time and effort into each class make up for that fact. I love UMKC! The people on campus make it worth coming to class.

Geneisha

It’s a great school academically.

Brieanna

I think that UMKC is a very good university and a lot of people love the school. I like it academically, mostly because that's the only experience I get. I live at home and commute to school so I don't participate in a lot of the activities that happen, and don't get to experience the campus life or even the "college life" and it sucks. I think that's why I feel like my college experience sucks and it would be better if I actually got to participate in all the things other students do but it's harder to do with a baby.

Peter

The university is a place for people who seek a place to earn a degree and find a relaxing environment. There isn't any form of drama of any sort, everyone is there to earn their degree, but this place also isn't a place where everyone completely serious. In better words, this place is a place where everyone is chill about everything, both students and teachers.

Sonia

This university is situated in the heart of an urban area. It allows for its students to experience new things and get to know the facets of several different cultures. It is also an environment conducive to academic achievement. Attending this university allows for students to gain a worldly view that prepares them for their acquisition of higher education and fosters professional development.

MacKenzie

UMKC is an excellent university if you're wanting to have the "big university" feel without actually going to an overwhelmingly large university. Every professor and faculty member I've come in contact with have been personable and understanding about real life and how hard things can be sometimes, in and out of the classroom. The kitchen staff are kind of jerks but the food isn't terrible. Breakfast is always AWESOME! You're never missing something to do either on campus or off campus. There are ALWAYS cool things happening in Kansas City!

Kaitlyn

I love going to UMKC. The location of the campus and the environment created by the faculty and students alike has helped me to thrive as I made the transition from living at home to branching off and preparing for my future. So much of my stress when picking a school to attend was over whether or not I would choose the right one, but I can confidently say that I chose the perfect school for me.

I overall like the layout of the campus. They have a very good business school. The business school and its accredidation is what drew me to the school over other colleges. The layout of the bloch building itself is very conducive to studing and learning.

Sadie

University of Missouri-Kansas City is a great school to attend. For me, it fits my lifestyle perfectly. At UMKC students are serious about their education. UMKC offers one of the most respected nursing degrees in the Kansas City area. I love the campus in the center of Kansas City because it is closes to home and offers anything that you could need within walking distance.

Conner

Great professors and academics, dorms and housing is kinda a mess. Sports are available, but not a big part of the school. Same with sororities and fraternities. Academic tuition is worth it! It is lower than most colleges, but academics are still very important to the school.

Sadie

University of Missouri-Kansas City is a great school who strives on its students success. The faculty and staff welcome you to be the best you can be. The atmosphere of the students is extremely inviting and you will never not have something to do.

Makenzie

It was a good school for local students who wanted a solid education at a reasonable price. The campus is nicely located near downtown Kansas City, MO. Classes were a good size with good student - teacher interaction. Many professors encouraged student engagement in extracurricular and volunteer activities. Overall, I enjoyed by time there.

Annamarie

It is really disappointing to see how the de-funding of public education has affected the school. Professors are overwhelmed and the price of standard things like textbooks and parking are continuing to rise. I happen to be in a smaller program where the professors are accessible and class sizes are small; however, most of the degree programs do not function like that. Many class sizes for science and mathematics are large, clearing one hundred students.

Petra

The campus is beautiful, and the people are nice, and willing to help.

I love this university and I believe that with some more government funding it can be the inclusive, diverse space it strives to be. However, Residential Life and UMKC Theatre are being hit especially hard by the budget crisis and I have had to deal with the ridiculous consequences.

Kristian

Overall I enjoy UMKC. The party scene sin't that big here because it is more of a commuter campus, but there is always something fun to do because we are right next to the Plaza and downtown KC. There are tons of clubs, and the fraternities and sororities are quite popular, and most of them have a good reputation. The classes are all medium sized, which makes communication between the students and professors simple and effective, and it promotes creating friendships with your fellow classmates because you aren't just trapped in a room with 200 people. On that note, every professor I've had has posted office hours and they seem genuinely appreciative of students who come and speak with them outside of class.

HABTAMU

I loved UMKC since the moment I laid eyes on it. I really love the diversity here and honestly this school has so many of the things I love. Would recommend this school to anyone! So many opportunities/majors. Great commuter school and great professors overall!!!

Summer

Overall, I am enjoying my experience here at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

Rebekah

The University of Missouri in Kansas City is very diverse and really strives to make every student feel equal. As a student in the UMKC's Conservatory of Music and Dance, I feel that its strongest assets are the professors. They truly love their jobs and want their students to become successful just as they have. I personally would not be at this school if it weren't for the amazing faculty.

Kelli

Overall, I love UMKC. Its not too big to where I feel overwhelmed, but since it is an urban campus, theres always something do. Professors, SI leaders and study groups are always available, and are there to help you succeed! I don't feel any less safe than I do off campus, and am never terribly uncomfortable.

Kaitlyn

I really enjoyed my experience at UMKC! I loved my instructors, courses and the opportunities I had. As a first generation college student, I was anxious about starting my graduate program, but UMKC did a great job of making me feel welcomed and understood. What I really enjoyed about my instructors, is that they had "real word" experience and it really contributed to the discussion and classroom experience. I completed my master's in 2017, as an alumni, I knew I wanted to continue my education administration journey at UMKC for a doctoral degree! I would highly recommend this institution, and hope the review will help someone else. Thank you for the opportunity for the scholarship.

Anne

UMKC is perfect for people who want a great, well-rounded education for a low cost. Tuition is around $9-10k/year for in-state students. It’s a great school for commuters, and I would say it’s more of a commuter campus than resident, though on-campus housing is pretty good and quite a few people come from other areas in Missouri and Kansas and live on campus. The political culture in recent years has gotten a little iffy, but if you’re someone who likes debate and opportunities for political expression, this is your place. Arts culture is getting there, but there’s still work to do considering the visual arts program is slightly underfunded and the conservatory has been in a limbo for the past few years in its attempt to build a new home in the city. Overall, it’s a good school, it’s inexpensive, and it’s in one the best (and more affordable) cities to be a college student in, Kansas City.

Aden

Central location that is close to most places downtown. The school is really modern and updated in certain buildings but other buildings are very old and in serious need of remodeling. You have to walk a lot from one building to the next. backpack. But that’s typical of most colleges.

Claira

As I have seen as a visitor the University of Missouri - Kansas City seems to be a great campus. The school appeared to offer students many opportunities to get involved with the community. The campus is in a great place full of many exciting possibilities.

Gabby

It honestly is a great school, in my opinion. I'm very grateful to be going there. I feel like I'm getting a high-quality education, and I also feel like my professors/instructors want to teach me and most are very passionate about the subjects that they teach. A lot of other students that are in my classes are also trying their best to learn, so I don't feel discouraged or annoyed. Everyone that I've come in contact with is super friendly and I have lots of friends and acquaintances so far. Most of the time, I recommend UMKC to people who are looking for a good college, whether it be graduating high school seniors, or college students who are looking to transfer to another institution.

Nadia

I enjoy it very much. I have made many friends and had many friends from before that go there, which makes the environment there feel very comfortable. The tutoring student success center really helps when I am needing an extra boost in my homework or any type of studying. I am so happy that I am a student there and would recommend the campus to anyone interested. You will definitely feel like family, all of the students and teachers are so friendly.

The University of Missouri-Kansas City is a great school, located perfectly in Kansas City. This is a smaller D1 school that not many people give much attention or credit to. This campus is extremely diverse, welcoming, and fun. With many successful students graduating from UMKC, who then go on to contribute to the workforce in Kansas City, there are many positives to be taken from that. Kansas City is a booming city with a bright future. UMKC and the 16,000 students who attend have much to offer to Kansas City's future.

Kasandra

When I first visited UMKC I was surprised by the size of the campus, it was bigger than I had thought it was going to be. My favorite part of the visit is when my tour guide showed us the building where the campus counselors and social workers are. I like knowing a possible college of mine care about their student's mental being / health.