University of Montevallo Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Montevallo

Matthew

The University of Montevallo, while at first overwhelming, especially to enrolling freshmen, provides an environment so warm, understanding, and encouraging to everyone involved, be it students, staff, or visitors. It pushes young and incredibly gifted thinkers toward new heights and furthermore pushes them towards being more versatile, knowledgable, and experienced with any practice pertaining to the arts and the fine arts. It's an excellent experience that I will recommend, for years to come!

Timothy

In my time here as a freshman, the University of Montevallo has been so amazing so far. The people here are so friendly and the professors are always willing to help out whenever needed. we don't have a football team, but the excitement and dedication to the other sports are definitely on par and is just as fun to cheer for. Fraternities and Sororities are not that bad and most people encourage going greek even if you only show a little interest, but it is worth joining and experiencing what it is like. The campus is beautiful and even though their aren't many things to do, you'll still have an enjoyable time here, plus there are nearby towns for your shopping needs.

Molly

Anyone I ever tell that I attend Montevallo immediately says, "Oh! You will love it!" They were absolutely right. Montevallo is a very inclusive school, who will accept all varieties of people. Professors are extremely helpful, and class sizes are perfect! This is an extraordinary university.

Katlyn

Movtevallo is a beautiful campus with small class sizes and and professors that you can always access. The city itself does not have a whole lot going in. There is a really great coffee shop (Eclipse) that is a great place to hangout and grad some coffee and good food. People tend to be on the liberal side. Being an art major is where its at. I love Montevallo and can not wait to experience the rest of my college life here.

JaMirah

The University of Montevallo is overall a decent school. It's not too small and it's not too big. The classroom sizes are small so it's to notice who's missing from class and the professors know you by your name. Most students go home on the weekends because they live nearby so it can get a bit dull on the weekends, especially if nothing is happening. It's easy to make friends and people are so nice. The faculty members make you feel at home especially if you come from another state like myself. At the University of Montevallo, there are several beautiful sceneries where you can take pictures but best of all, it's a beautiful campus- the best I've ever seen. The longest liberal arts college tradition in the state of Alabama, College Night, is one of the most exciting events I have ever been to on a college campus. Alumnis come out and support and even the faculty members get excited about it. If anyone is looking into this school and you're not sure if you should go here, you do. You belong at Montevallo.

KanJallla

Montevallo is a great school to find out who you are. The small classes make it so you can become friends with the students and professors. The campus is laid back and beautiful and you can always find a student on the quad enjoying the sun. My time there was great.

Donovan

One reason I love the University of Montevallo is because it is small in size; however, the smaller setting provides wonderful communication between the students and the faculty. Speaking with the professors on campus is so important, and getting to discuss the material with them enhances student learning in the courses. The most important part about attending the University of Montevallo is realizing that, as a student, you are more than just a number or a random face in a class; you can actually be part of an academic community.

Cheyanne

I had a friend tell me about the University and he asked me to go on a tour with him. Through out the day we we're shown the different buildings, told some history about Montevallo, told about the new projects the school just finished building, and they talked about the rooming with us. It is a peaceful quiet environment and I am impatiently waiting to be able to join by the fall of 2016!

Jordan

The University of Montevallo felt like home from my first step on campus. The atmosphere was amazing. Students get one-on-one help from their professors and there are an abundance of things to do outside of class. I fell in love with Montevallo from my first campus visit. I cannot wait to be a Falcon in the Fall of 2016.

Heather

UM gave me a book called "The Fledgling" it helps new students find their Falcon wings by giving detailed information to help a new student find resources anywhere on campus. I attended Spring Preview Day this year. I felt like UM wanted everyone in attendance to apply for admission. We were all encouraged and met by professors leading the way to degree completion in our chosen fields. There are so many resources available to help a student succeed that the only way to fail is to not be engaged.

India

While the tuition is expensive, the school offers generous financial aid. Also, the quality of the education there is excellent, and the atmosphere is friendly. Overall, attending this school was a good decision on my part. The university accommodates a wide variety of students and majors.

Victoria

I absolutely love it. There isn't a lot to do on weekends, but Birmingham is only half an hour away. Small class sizes and great atmosphere! I have yet to have a professor I didn't like (and I'm a junior). Greek life is really big here and it isn't at all like big schools, much more homey and each sorority/fraternity is small enough that you get to know everyone.

Courtney

The campus is beautiful and always full of life from the activities. The food could always be better, but I say that as someone who's had their grandma's cooking so often that all food tastes weird if it's not hers. The housing is great, I live in Main Hall and the girls there are usually sweet. Class size is wonderful, but depending on the teacher, it can be intimidating for the first few days. Other than that, I love this place.

Nicolis

I love it, during the summer I wish I was still there. The theater program, which is where I am majoring, is like a family. The Professor know just how to push each student in the direction that they want to go, and if you decide to change your mind then it is completely okay to try knew things.

Lindsey

I LOVE IT!!! There is no better place for a music education major. The teachers care about our grades and they prepare us for our future, way more than other schools. I have only been here for a couple of months and I already feel at home and I love being here.

MeagonWilliams

As a first-year student at the University of Montevallo, I am extremely proud of my choice in schools. Not only is it easy to meet new people but the professors are always able and around to help with whatever problems that I have. Since it is a small town there is not a lot to do off campus but going to special events on campus is always fun.

India

The University of Montevallo is a small school--but this adds to rather than detracts from the experience. The student community is close-knit yet welcoming; everyone can feel welcome there. Even though Montevallo is a liberal arts institutions, the sciences and mathematics are by no means marginalized; rather, students are encouraged to be well-rounded. In short, becoming a falcon is well worth the tuition: it is an investment that will be repaid many times over!

Chance

Definitely a smaller campus, made up mostly of women, and at least a third of the guys here are gay so if you're male (gay or straight), your odds are pretty good. Montevallo definitely has a close community and you will learn to recognize every face you see on campus. Yes, you will never be able to escape your exes. Greek life here is far from stereotypical, with the exception of Phi Mu for the sororities and ATO for the fraternities, but even they aren't too bad. There's always some excellent theatre productions, art galleries, and choral performances to go see, and the majority of people usually get excited to at least see the theatre stuff. One big thing here is "College Night" (more of a full semester thing, really), which is hard to explain to outsiders but is basically just an internal competition at the university between two teams (purple and gold) and is based around sports, spirit, and more than anything, the theatre productions at the end. Everything is student-written, student-organized, student-performed, and it's by far the best way to get involved on campus here.

Litrail

Montevallo has a small campus which is great for those accustomed to small towns. It is easy to meet people and maintain a social life. If you are living on campus it is hard to feel like an adult because there are so many rules. The classes are relatively small which is good because it allows students to have more time to interactive with their teachers. Montevallo is a liberal arts school and it feels liberating to be on campus. I feel very free on campus and spending time on campus eventually anyone can make some good friends. Overall the school is good but just as any school, it has its flaws and there could be improvement in certain areas. Montevallo could use more social events to make it easier to meet different people on campus not only the people in the same classes any one person.

natalie

Classes are small so you get to know your professors very well. Make sure thats what you want though because it will be noticed if you are not going to classes. Very diverse students. I'm an athlete at the school and we mostly group together but everyone here at Montevallo is very friendly.

Alvin

The University of Montevallo is a great place for all people to come to. It is a place that accepts all people of background politically, sexual orientation, etc. The teachers are amazing and are very accessible and due to the small class sizes for most classes it is very easy to set up meeting with them. There are plenty of opportunities to join a club and meet new people and the education here is top notch. I was a tad skeptical of the school at first, but after some time I have enjoyed my time here so far.

Dewayne

When I heard of the University of Montevallo, I honestly didn’t think much of it. I thought it was just another alternative choice for those who didn’t have much money to afford going to more recommended colleges. In fact I would’ve gone to the University of Alabama had I not given the latter choice a chance, and in doing so, I’m glad I gave it a fair chance in the 1st place. Upon my 1st impression yesterday, the college might seem really big at 1st, but walking from point A to point B doesn’t seem like much of a chore, especially for more athletic people who enjoy walking. Every instructor and most of the faculty members’ main goal is to help each and every student reach their potential and teach them how to become a great success in what they do. As for sports, it’s not really the college’s best trait, but what it does excel in is its creativity. There’s not a single student I’ve met that does drugs or has a bad influence on the school or other students. There are many types of events to participate in if sports aren’t your thing. In fact, you can even participate in gaming events for people who play games like me. I know that this is just my 1st time here, but I have a feeling that I’m going to have a great time here. I recommend this college to people who are starting out in the creative world and want to go into the creativity field.

Brittney

University of Montevallo is a great school! It's a small school but in a good way. You get to meet new people and make friends. It's almost like a small town where everyone knows everyone. With a smaller school they do have a higher percentage of how many people go Greek which is pretty cool. Everyone there is so friendly. The Staff there is AMAZING as well!

Jamiya

The University of Montevallo is a great University from my perspective and others from what I hear. They're a very friendly group and they always include you in things. No one is an outcast there and we're all one big family! The staff there is always ready to help and you do not feel any type of hostility when you do need some assistance.

Kaelan

The University of Montevallo is a great place for everyone. The community is always friendly and accepting. You are not put behind others, everyone is in front and helped. We are treated as students, and not a number in their system. It quickly becomes a home away home, comfortable and surrounded by friends that turn into family along with the faculty and staff.

Jayden

It's a beautiful campus with lots of interesting, diverse people. People are allowed to be who they are and are always welcomed on campus. Everyone is especially kind and considerate of others, so you feel welcome and warm while on campus. The dorms seemed really nice, and the cafeteria smelled amazing, so I am really excited to attend UM.

Shanya

Overall, it is a great school. The students are very open-minded and nice. The cafeteria has a wide range of food and also has convenient serving times for those with busy schedules. Mos of the facilities are easily accessible. Everything on campus is practically in walking distance. The on-campus housing is very secure. I just love it.

Elicia

Montevallo is an amazing college and I'm glad to be attending this school. This has been my first choice for five years now so being here feels like home. I have made so many friends and I couldn't ask for better professors. There is so much to do on campus and there are plenty of clubs and other activities to participate in. I have visited a handful of colleges and their campuses and food doesn't compare to Montevallo's. Going to this school has given me so many opportunities as a vocal performance major and I never see myself regretting my decision to attend the University of Montevallo!

Stacie

I absolutely love attending the University of Montevallo. Whenever I have the chance I like to talk to people about attending the university. The professors are amazing and they all make time for each student. We are a tight nit community and I would not trade it for the world.

Rebekah

I love Montevallo. The campus is absolutely stunning. Brick roads create and beautiful contrast with its white and brick buildings. It is gorgeous year-round. Hundred-year-old trees are everywhere and cover the pathways to and from class. The campus is small enough to feel cosy but not so small that you feel cramped. The professors are incredible as well. Each professor is more than willing to go out of there way to meet with you after class or at a time that works best for you. I am a commuter student so I am not living in a dorm but I have friends who do. The dorms are probably the most neglected buildings on campus. At least one dorm building has mould that has not been truly taken care of. The buildings simply remain the way they were built one hundred years ago. I cannot speak about alcohol and drug consumption because I personally do not choose to partake in either and have yet to choose to go to a party where those are present. But I know that if you were looking for either you could find them. I have never felt uneasy on campus but as a general rule, I always let someone know where I am going and when I get there just to be safe. Overall, I have loved the time I have spent at Montevallo and I am excited about the new growth in the city as well. I cannot wait to start back in a week!

MaryGrace

Its a beautiful campus with even more beautiful people. Every staff member generally cares about each student's well being. The University of Montevallo offers support that you will not find in most schools. I would not want to receive my education in Fine Arts anywhere else.

Celena

It is a great campus and I love being here! Everyone is friendly even when it is hard for you to make friends you will still make them. The teachers are so encouraging and thoughtful that it is a breath of fresh air from high school. I highly recommend Montevallo. GO FALCONS!!

Morgane

It is a very welcome campus and I have never had a bad experience with a student or professor. The campus id beautiful, the buildings are beautiful and you can really feel the history within the walls. I am happy to be able to attend this University and hope to stay all four years.

Kat

I absolutely adore UM. The campus is beautiful, and the community there is fantastic. I felt at home here before I even realized! To anyone interested in a liberal arts college, this is a great choice. There are always people to talk to, and anywhere you go, you'll find a familiar face. Go falcons!

I absolutely love Montevallo. The people are interesting and there is a lot of diversity. The atmosphere is open and safe. The buildings are mostly old but they are well kept and have an inviting, homey feel about them. There is always someplace to hang out or to hide away and study with friends. The professors are incredibly amazing as are the rest of the faculty. Even the food in the caf is great! I know it sounds like an over done commercial, but at Montevallo, you really feel like a valued asset to their community rather than just a number in a crowd. I would never want to go to go to college anywhere else. PV!!!

Mikyle

Before I came to Montevallo, I had taken a plethora of tours to get a feel for the campus and each time it was a fantastic experience. The campus is nice, clean, and has a "small-town" feel to it. The professors are pretty cool and will always work with you as long as you come to visit them. Some of the classes are set up in very interesting ways. For example, in my Game Studies class, our grade was determined by how much we leveled up during the semester. If you like small classes with great teachers, this is the place for you.

Kesha

Eh. It's a liberal arts college. If you're not in that crowd you're an athlete or learning to be a teacher. Or the few like me, learning exercise and nutrition (usually current or past athletes). It's not a bad school and some of the dorms are really cool. They have co-ed dorms and single gender dorms. Lots of diversity on campus. 9/10 you'll make friends super easy. The classes aren't crazy hard either and students help each other.

Broderick

Montevallo is a GREAT school. I love the class sized, how politically and socially conscious we are, and much of a family this campus feels like. The only thing I dislike is the housing, compared to other campuses I've seen our housing is bad. Finding housing off-campus isn't as easy either.

Avery

I absolutely love my school. I never imagined college could feel like a home away from home, but that is exactly what Montevallo is for me!! Class sizes are smaller than my classes were in high school, which I love because my professors can actually know who I am. Montevallo is a fantastic place to be.

Alexandria

I absolutely love my school! It is truly my home away from home. I have met amazing friends and i have had some amazing professors over the years. The party scene isn't too rowdy and the classes are small enough for me to have an actual relationship with my professors. I highly recommend this beautiful university.

I absolutely adore the University of Montevallo. I am currently enrolled as an upcoming freshman for Fall of 2020 and have been overwhelmingly excited for the opportunity to attend this university. The campus is beautiful and the overall environment is lovely and makes me feel at home. I've never had a bad experience when visiting.

Katie

I am a senior in high school and have been accepted to the University of Montevallo in the fall of 2019. I looked at several colleges in Alabama, but there was something magical about the University of Montevallo. I loved the picturesque campus of red brick streets, historical architecture and the stately red oak trees that are so inviting and enchanting on the main quad on campus. I could vision myself reading and studying under the large trees, because it is such a relaxing place to be. The campus is not to large, but small enough that you do not feel lost, and you can get to know other students easily and make new friends. The University of Montevallo gave me a sense of safety that I could not find at other colleges or universities. The traditions at the University are 100 years old and the students have fun working together to write and act in their very own shows. It is very exciting and I can not wait to be a part of the celebration. I have the confidence that the University of Montevallo will assist me in achieving my educational goals and to be proud of who I want to become in life. I believe that the University of Montevallo would not only give me an excellent education, but build my character and make me a person the University would be proud of , and I would go out into the world after graduation and make the world a better place.

Katlyn

Montevallo is a Big University with a small town atmosphere. The campus is beautiful and the people are very friendly. I love the small class sizes because you are able to get to know your classmates and form a bond with them, whether you live on campus or not. The professors are incredibly helpful and are always available through email, day or night. Overall, I am incredibly happy with my choice to attend the University of Montevallo. It's definitely a personalized and hands on education with all the thrills and excitement of a large university experience.

Katherine

The University of Montevallo is a smaller sized school, but a great one. The class size is smaller, which allows for the professors to get to know the students better, and for more one-on-one time with each student. There are a good amount of activities to get involved in, and the atmosphere is always great.

Breanna

I did not care much for it when I first applied, I only chose it because it was close to home but once I began classes on campus I fell in love. the atmosphere is great the people are non-judgemental and there are constantly poster put up to make students aware of what is going on. You can find a number for the FREE on school counselor to deal with ANY problems, not just limited to school and I have not met a staff member that was rude.

Allison

The University of Montevallo provides top-notch education in a beautiful, small-town college setting. It features a diverse group of students and traditions that can't be found anywhere else. Montevallo is a great place to learn and grow in your knowledge.

Carmen

I love UM. The campus is beautiful and everyone is so friendly. Class are small so you get to know everyone and become part of the community. We have the longest lasting homecoming tradition to be a school without a football team. I highly recommend coming to check out UM. You won't be disappointed.