Kearney, NE
University of Nebraska at Kearney

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Nebraska at Kearney

Amy

Study hard, forget about all the parties. I focused too much on the weekends, having fun with friends and didn't focus too much on the studying.

I wish I would have known about all the cliques. Many different groups on this campus.

People who expect a good quality education. Most teachers focus on getting paid not really helping the students much.

Phillip

My classmates are very goal oriented and have always been very open and ready to offer help where ever needed. My classmates are very determined to succeed and to help thier fellow classmates succeed as well.

My school is best known for helpin students succeed in any way possible. If you have a dream, UNK can help you reach it. UNK has a very positive environment and is well suited for students of all ages and all different types of backgrounds.

When deciding what college to attend make sure that you first visit several colleges and find out as much information as you can about each one. Making sure you are comfortable in the environment you will be in for the next 4 years is very important. When you finally decide on a college make sure you try to get everything out of it as you can. Experience as many different things as you can including joining clubs, attending campus events and signing up for intramural sports. Be sure to make sure your teacher is familiar with who you are and dont be afraid to talk with him after class because the more you know your professors the better chance you have to succeed in college and those will be the people you will need to ask recomendation letters for at the end of your college career. Dont be afraid!

Hillary

Most of my classmates seem to be high ability learning students who want to work hard and get something out of life for the work they are putting in now.

The size of my school is unique becuase it is considerably smaller than the other schools I applied to, but in a good way because for me, it is the perfect size.

My advice to both parents and students in finding the right college is to visit the campus. They need to familiarize themselves with the school. The student needs to feel it is a fun and comfortable place to be, and the parents need to feel it is a safe learning environment for their child where they can be successful. I would also tell the prospective students to have an idea of what they would like to study in school because that is crucial when selecting a school because some schools do not offer programs that they want. And lastly, to the parents, they should not be afraid to be involved in their child's school career either. My parents are still very active in my learning, which drives me to succeed.

My school is just right for those looking to not know everyone on campus but be able to walk around and see familiar faces as you go and also not be a number in a classroom where the professor knows your face and cares about you and your studies.

Sadly, a well know reputation for the school is that it is a party school. There are alot of drinking parties that go on on the weekends. Also the marching band and orchestra have a pretty good reputation from what i am told. They win contests and are very precise. Also the theatre department doesn't get enough credit for the amazing productions it puts on every year.

Look around for at different colleges. If you see one that you think is the right fit, visit it. Take a tour, talk to some of the teachers in the major you are thinking of declaring. Get the feel for the campus and make sure if feels right for the parents and the child thinking of attending. There is nothing worse the choosing a college and figuring out half-way through the year that it is not a right fit at all for what you are looking for in a college experience. Also, go tour around the town the college is in. Figure out if its easy to navigate and also if it is big/small enough for you to feel comfortable driving around in and possibly living in once you reach upperclassmen status and want to live off campus. Basically, get to know the colleges of your choice the best you can before you make any descions. Weigh the pros and cons of each campus then you will be able to chose the college wisley.

Matthew

As anyone would say, what are your interests? I really enjoy music and playing different instruments, and the University of Nebraska at Kearney was the best for a small, affordable, social, and focus based school that caught my eye. However, if you're not sure what to study, I personally would go to a small accredited community college in your area to get some general studies out of the way to buy you more time to think and discern what you want to do with your future. Once you find a school you like, a great way to get started is meeting new people, (if you're living in the dorms this is quite benneficial), get involved with different activities and student organizations, join a fraternity or sorority, and just have fun. But most importantly keep the focus on academics. Isn't that the reason why you're there? Trust me, there's nothing more important than keeping your grades up. I sometimes struggle with them, but I try hard, and do the best I can (as cliche as that sounds). I hope that you find what you're looking for, and Good Luck!!!

The best think I like about UNK is that I had friends the very first day I arrived. I remember the day before I arrived, I was extremely sick because I was so nervous. The first person I met comforted me and we have been best friends ever since. I suppose that everyone will have a special connection with someone that will be there for the rest of your life. The kids that go to UNK are all from small towns, so of course they'll all be friendly.

I would really like to extend the oportunity to anyone who is looking for a friend. I can't imagine going to a big University or College because there would be too much. UNK is just the right size for anyone who likes seeing their same friends everyday, but yet open to meeting new and exciting people. I highly recommend this school for anyone who wants a best friend to have for the rest of their life.

Paul

My classmates are very diverse. I have Japanese, Chinese, Hispanic, Korean, European, and American students in pretty much every class. In my class levels, most of the students know each other and already have friendships and relationships started.

One very important aspect that isn't always considered among college choices is the size of the campus relative to the size of the city. When I started college, I was attending a huge campus in a big city, but I moved here and found out that I much preferred a small town with a small university. It's all about comfort when it comes to college because the student will be living there for four or more years, so they must be able to concentrate on studies, find a suitable part-time job, and have all of the necessities easily accessible. Social life, bars, clubs, fancy restaurants...all of that must be put aside. A beginning college student needs to stop and ask themselves, "Can I see myself living here after I graduate?" If the answer is yes, then that campus is appropriate and will provide a meaningful education and personal learning experience that the student can remember for the rest of their days, look back and say, "Yeah, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat."

The only thing really frustrating with UNK is how the College of Business and Technology is so far from every other college on campus. We have to use the full 15 minutes between classes to get to classes in other buildings.

Jordan

Go on as many campus visits as it takes to find the one college that feels right to you. if you feel comfortable about the school you chose it makes your college experiance much better.

The best thing about my school is the laid back atmosphere because it helps when taking stressfull classes and calms me down aafter a long day.

A person who is more interested in partying then getting an education should not attend thins school.

Drew

This is a great college to attend. It is a reasonably priced University with a great education. Everybody here seems to be kind and care about what happens to them. Being an Athlete here is an especially good experience.

Aybody who wants a town that is large enough to have something to do but not be in a huge city.

Anyone who wants a large community around the school should not attend this school. Also, anyone who doesnt like a rural area.

Branson

I say this to parents and students. Pick the college by what feels right to you. If you go on five campus visits don't just pick the one that is closest to home or to where you friend is going to school or living. Instead pick the college that has what you feel is what you want, after all it is where you are going to be for the next four plus years of your life so make it what you want. Parents, please do no persuade your kids to live at home to save money. I know that by doing so will save thousands of dollars, but your child will never experience life in a residence hall or living with someone other than you. Residence halls are a great way to build social skills and also a good start at networking which may come in handy later in life. In addition, meet with some of the teachers in your field(if you have chose one yet) and feel them out. Maybe you won't even like them. Or maybe it could be the final decision in deciding between two schools.

I wish I would have understood financial aid more before attending. Also I wish I would have known my major but that is hard to determine but sometimes your school doesnt have the best field of study for your major.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend this school is someone that is pessimisstic and is just here to go to class and nothing else. While the university doesn't offer a lot of different options to do besides academics someone should experience as many as possible.

Nicholas

The school is best known for its spirit at football games, and any other sports game at home or even away from home.

Advise your children to pick the school that suits them and has their academic future at hand--remind them that general studies are there to help advance their knowledge about the world around them and more jobs are looking to hire those who do have a general education.

The fact that the Psychology department has the best teachers in their fields workin, along with how well they advise.