Kearney, NE
University of Nebraska at Kearney

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Nebraska at Kearney

Jeysel

Well there's a saying around these parts that goes: You can't spell 'drunk' without UNK. As much as I'd like to argue the statement, because I feel that it gives the wrong impression of our school, I have to agree. You really can't spell 'drunk' without UNK. Witty student sayings aside, it's a great school. In fact, in 2010 it ranked top 10 in U.S. News' ranking of regional public universities. Really, google it. Okay, so maybe the first result is our school's website. No bias. I can vouch for it!

I would say, "Jeysel, I promise you, you're NOT going to marry Jose. There'll be at least one more Jose in your life until you realize how unimportant this issue is. You're not a failure for going to community college first. In fact, you're saving yourself a lot money. Also, you need to start applying for scholarships yesterday, trust me you'll thank me later. Take Chem 145 before you take 160. It will save you many an all night-er. Stock up on flashcards. You're about to take the ASVAB in two weeks. Please, don't cry during the math portion. Frankly, it's embarrassing, and you'll do a lot better than you think you will. Practice makes perfect. In fact, later you find out that math is actually kind of fun. Don't be intimidated when you transfer to UNK. Apply yourself and you'll find that school isn't as scary as you make it out to be. Join ROTC the first week you're there. It's the best decision you'll ever make. Remember, you'll be just fine. I believe in you. Now go make us proud."

If I'm ever hankering for a slice of carb-y cheesy goodness I go to the Union. They have the option of pizza every single day in the cafeteria. EVERY DAY. Also, the sidewalks are shoveled and salted after flurries. They clearly care about our well-being. My psychology advisor is really cool this semester. He experiments on ducks and his hair is always perfectly gelled (ratio is about 60% hair to 40% gel). I rarely ever comb my hair but this guy knows what he's doing. Great school. Amazing pizza. Incredible hair.

Shelby

University of Nebraska at Kearney is best known for its education program and business program.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to even out my social life and my school life. I would tell myself to go be with friends more because I based the majority of my senior year on studying because the social aspect of your life is important in college. These people are the people you are most likely going to have for most of your life. Another thing I would tell my highschool self is to appreciate the education I was able to obtain. Not very many people had the opportunity to receive 23 college credits for taking classes in high school. I would also tell myself to talk to my english teachers about doing more papers in APA instead of MLA. It was nice learning how to do papers properly in MLA but every paper I have had to do has been in APA. One last thing I would tell my high school senior self is to work more in the summer instead of go out and hang out with friends all the time.

I believe that anyone can attend the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

Albert

I wish I would have known there were tutors my freshman year. That and mental health...it was a rough year

No one should be left out of going to school here.

Veronica

My school is a friends, accepting, warm place where friends are easily made and teachers and staff actually care for your well-being and the well-being of others.

I would tell myself to be myself. I would tell myself that things get better here and that my depression will start going away. I would say, "You are going to find friends here. Some friends might be unwanted, but other friends are going to be amazing." I would tell my past self that my relationship with my boyfriend is going to bloom and to not be afraid to tell him what's on my mind or else that will create problems. I would say, "Don't be afraid to stand up to Mom and Dad. You are becoming a mature adult and they can't boss you around. Don't be afraid to be yourself and to stand your ground." I would also tell myself to not worry, but knowing me, I would anyways.

I consider the environment to be the best thing about my school because the people here are very accepting and caring. I deal with mental issues, and they don't judge me. They help me get through it and the teachers work with me to make the learning here nonstressful and easy to keep up with.

Jaime

My classmates are friendly and outgoing individuals, who are more than willing to lend a helping hand when the time comes.

The vibes that you get from the people and environment, immediately you feel right at home.

I went from high school senior to a community college freshman in one summer, transitioning to a community college wasn't as hard as I thought it would have been. If I could go back I would tell myself to save money and prepare for bigger things. When I decided that I wanted to go to Kearney I would have told myself to put money in a savings account once a month that way I had money for when my big college bills came; such as tuition for UNK, books, room/board, parking fees and more. Knowing now that money doesn't grow on trees and a university is more expensive, I definitely would have saved sooner and longer for my future. Grants and loans take time to pay off while scholarships are "free" money to those who are willing to work for it. I would tell my high school senior self, work on the scholarships as they are given to you, don't let them pile up, once deadlines are gone scholarships are done.

Katherine

It had the programs I wanted, at a price I could afford and with abeautiful awesome campus. What else could I ask for?

The main thing I would drill into my younger selfs head is the value of saving every dollar you can. I grew up very very poor and when I got my own money I went a little nuts and now I regret it. I paid my bills and paid my own way but I didn't save like I should have. I would tell my former self "No you really dont need those shoes and no you don't need that new TV. What you do need is a ton of money to help your family pay for the massive bill that is looming over our heads right now to pay for my school." I regret not saving more but I've learned my lesson now and I value money now more than ever before. I'm thankful for places and people who offer scholarships to those students, like me who are struggling to find a way to pay for their furture. Scholarships can be hard work and can even be hard to find, but so rewarding. Thats the other thing I would tell myself. Start looking for them sooner and get them in place as soon as you can.

The spirit of the school is utterly amazing. Everyone is so nice and helpful. I went on a visit, not really very interested in going to UNK but I left totally in love with the place. It has amazing energy

Makenzi

The students are extremely nice and open to talk to new people. I toured a school in New York, and didn't have nearly as welcoming of an experience as I did at UNK.

If I could give my high school self advice, I would say to get ahead on reading assignments and dedicate as much time towards my studies during the week as possible, in order to have weekends mostly free for socializing with peers. I would also share that college is much more beneficial when you have an open mind to any and all information that is new to me. Absorb as much information as possible, but ask a lot of questions. Make the professor go into detail and challenge them to truly expand the knowledge the class. Also, when the opportunity to speak in class arises, participate. Spark discussions and debates, but do not shoot down the opposition. Appreciate and respect their point of view, but do the same for your own. This is an opportunity to explore uncharted territory for yourself and others, so take advantage of that. My last piece of advice would be to take any and all classes that spark my interest. You never know what conversation might change your future, so take advantage of having control of your class schedule! Small decisions cause big changes!

Currently there is a lot of construction going on. It's great for the school, but a little inconvenient for getting around campus.

Laurann

Being a high school senior was hectic, but being a college freshman came as a shock. If I could go back and tell myself what NOT to do, my freshman year of college would have gone much smoother. I would have told myself to ALWAYS ask for help when I need it instead of putting it off—another great thing they don’t teach you when you’re preparing for college- -how to avoid procrastination. My senior self couldn’t see it, she thought it wouldn’t be that hard not to procrastinate—boy was she wrong! If I had a nickel for every time I put something off, I wouldn’t need scholarships. My senior-self said I’d get involved on campus, my college freshman-self said otherwise, lazy- - do as little as possible. With finishing my first year of college, my advice for my senior-self would have been to use the resources provided for me, get involved, and most importantly, do work now and have fun later!

All the services available to students, such as: free tutoring, the writing center.

Someone who doesn't seek help with a class when they need it.

Danya

It is in a college friendly town and it is small enough that you don't know everyone, but you could. There is a bit of drinking, but not much on campus. The town is growing so there are alot of new store opening and Kearney is the burth place of the Buckle and are always hiring. The university is small, but it has some of the best teachers in Nebraska.

Go to a community college for two years to get the general studies done and then go to a university. I wouldn't have the friends I do now, but I wouldn't have so much trouble with money. I would also say read the fine print and read it again. I missed so much just skimming over documents and readings that I didn't get the full feel of the class.

The person that should go here is a person that knows what they want to do. I think that they should get their Gen eds done at a comunity college and then go this college. It is cheeper that way. If you are serious about school, then this is the place for you. The have a wonderful nursing program, and teaching program. This is what they are known for.

University of Nebraska at Kearney administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.