Kearney, NE
University of Nebraska at Kearney

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Nebraska at Kearney

Jamie

I would tell myself to prepare to study, and not the kind of studying I was doing in high school. Now that I am in college I participate in multiple study groups, take advantage of the schools help center and spend hours and hours each night with my nose in a book. I would also tell myself that I need to get more organized. Starting college has really helped me organize my life. It starting by keeping a planner so I knew when assignments were due, what dates exams were. Then I started adding in personal appointments, important dates and so on. Keeping a planner has made all the difference in keeping everything together. Last I would make sure to tell myself to always make school your priority. When I was in high school school tended to take the back burner to my job and my social life. I with I would have done things differently back then. School is what sets you up for success in the rest of your life.

Blair

Making the transition from high school senior to college life, especially being a quiet school focused child, brings a list of challenges. Aside from the classes, activities, and stress, the one piece of advice I would give my high school self is to take time out to relax and soak in the moment of accomplishment. I spent my first year of college focused on class and studying. I did not go to any parties, any school events, or never even took out time to make new friends. It was not until now getting close to graduation I realized I missed some of the fun freshman experiences I hear others talk about. So to my high school self, I say take your time, enjoy your self because these are the once in a lifetime years you can never get back. School is and always will be a priority but college will not be a fondest memory without those leisure once in a lifetime moments.

Heather

UNK is more of a Teacher Education school were as the other schools which I considered were more for Agriculture or other degrees. You were able to get a Teacher Education degree but UNK focuses more on helping students interested in the area obtain their degree.

If I could go back, I would tell myself that it is going to take time to adjust to the life of being away from home. Take it one day at a time and if you need help don't be afraid to ask, whether it is with school work, roommate, or just missing home talk with someone who can trust. I would also tell myself that you will work hard in school and on your school work but also be make time to have some fun, and to not just sit around in the dorm. Get out and experience life of a college student! Make sure you are aware of what you want to study but don't be afraid to take risks and maybe change the direction of your career to make you comfortable. Last but not least, just have fun and make sure to get out and spread your wings; meet new people and try not to under any conditions be afraid to make a mistake.

A person who is interested in being involved and wants to get involved with activities in and around the school.

Joshua

I don’t feel much different from my high school self, but five minutes of reflection would reveal how different I am. Needless to say I’ve made mistakes on occasion, but I’ve kept my GPA up around the 4.0 mark and I’ve stayed focused on school, but I’d love to be able to give experience to my former self. If I could tell my high school self anything I would be fairly straightforward with myself. I would have told myself to watch who I spend time with. That there are people who (somehow, usually because of financial privilege) legitimately do not care about college. They don’t go to class. They don’t care about rules or laws. They don’t have any direction in life. The old Spanish proverb “Tell me who you walk with, and I will tell you who you are” comes to mind. It’s fair to say that to some extent, no matter how much an individual can try to stay above it all there’s only so much you can do. My biggest advice would be along those lines I think something like that would have helped beyond belief.

There's a huge alcohol culture here. It's bad. Even though the laws for MIP are the toughest in the state, the drinking culture here is such that when a party off campus is busted by police, no one ever gets carded, they all simply get thrown out and go to the next party. Drunks roam the streets at all hours of the night on weekends.

I usually have smaller classes (less than twenty other students), my professors are simply amazing, my dormatory is nice and the people in it are generally friendly people. I get great value for my money here, though it often runs short. It's really easy to make friends here and feel at home.

Dalton

Go to a community college first. This is because it is cheaper than going strait to a univeristy. Also make sure you can get into college classes while in high school because it will help out alot to get out of college faster and get into the work force.

I wish I would have known that it is cheaper to go to a community college to get general education classes finished before attending a university.

The school spirit around campus is very weak. Going to a big high school in Texas there was school spirit all around the community. I feel like I am going to high school all over again. The athletic teams are not the greatest, but the schools athletic department does not invest alot of money into athletics like I feel they should.

Cody

My classmates are engaging,intellecual, and outgoing students

My classmates are engaging,intellecual, and outgoing students

Apply yourself more, go out and try new things and apply for more scholorships. The only thing you deserve is what you go earn.

Some of the teachers aren't from the US so breaking that language barrier is sometimes difficult

Ben

My classmates at the University of Nebraska at Kearney are motivated, kind, and accepting individuals who take their school work very seriously.

"Don't get distracted!" These are the exact words I would tell my senior self if such a thing were possible. College is full of new experiences - some good and some bad. Along with these new encounters comes freedom. For the first time in many students' lives, parental units are not around to nag about homework or curfews. It is now solely up to the students to take the wheel and control their destiny. That being said, it is not always easy to concentrate on school work, which is the reason you are there in the first place. As a college freshman talking to my senior self, I would re-iterate the importance of school work, especially in the midst of all the extras the college experience has to offer. The college life can be fun, but amusement must be prioritized behind the work that will undoubtedly lead to the benefication of the greater good of society in the future. We are America's future, after all.

The University of Nebraska at Kearney prides itself in its education program. However, a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate programs are available to non-education majors. The type of person that should attend this school is one who wants to major in education in education and does not mind the relatively rural setting. The town of Kearney has a population of 30,000, but despite its size, has plenty to do on weeknights and weekends.

Alexis

UNK is best known for it's Education Majoring programs.

UNK is best known for it's Education Majoring programs.

I love to procrastinate, I always have. Therein lies most of my academic setbacks, this may seem to be a very common problem among students but mine is a Stage 4 Procrastination. I have written more five to eight pages papers the day they were due than I would like to count or, for that matter, could count without having to use all of my phalanges and someone elses. My advice to my high school self would be to never EVER put anything off. I mean anything. The amount of times I put off the most seemingly insignificant assignments that ended up almost hindered me from graduating is more than embarrassing. I would definitely tell myself that even though procrastination seems rewarding at the time, it causes unearthly large downfalls in life, especially in the would of my education.

The most frustrating thing about my school is how much it costs. Granted, it is much cheaper than other schools, even other Nebraska Universities,. My problem is that, like most high school graduates, I have never had to pay for school and now it costs roughly $7,000+ dollars for a single semester.

Reanna

If i were a senior in high school again I would have advised my self to do many more things. Taking some college classes while in high school would have been very beneficial for me in the long run. I would have taken these classes very seriously. I also would have applied for more scholarships. I had more free time back then and it would have been a better use of time. I would have explained to my self the importance of getting an education because gives me a huge advantage against my compition in the job market. These things would have made my life easier.

I don't like the meal plan. It is manditory and I often find it not needed.

I love the University of Nebraska at Kearney I recomend it to anyone. One of the frustrating things is the cost.

Gabriela

Don't take what other people say about you too seriously, they won't remain your friends in college and you will all go separate ways. Your academics in High School are very important, so make sure you study for that history and english exam instead of just cramming it all the night before. The ACT will haunt you for a while, make sure you are prepared for it. Living away from home will be a wonderful thing for about the first three years, then you will miss living at home and realizing how easy of a life it used to be. Not understanding Math, or Chemistry in high school is totally okay you can still be a Dentist, it's the teachers who do not know how to teach, in college you will succeed with flying colors in both those courses and you will love them. Your friends will not tell you that they care about good grades because it's "uncool" but they do, and so do you. Don't take life too seriously it is just high school. College will turn out to be one the most wonderful times of your life.