Kearney, NE
University of Nebraska at Kearney

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Nebraska at Kearney

Dalton

Go to a community college first. This is because it is cheaper than going strait to a univeristy. Also make sure you can get into college classes while in high school because it will help out alot to get out of college faster and get into the work force.

I wish I would have known that it is cheaper to go to a community college to get general education classes finished before attending a university.

The school spirit around campus is very weak. Going to a big high school in Texas there was school spirit all around the community. I feel like I am going to high school all over again. The athletic teams are not the greatest, but the schools athletic department does not invest alot of money into athletics like I feel they should.

Cody

My classmates are engaging,intellecual, and outgoing students

My classmates are engaging,intellecual, and outgoing students

Apply yourself more, go out and try new things and apply for more scholorships. The only thing you deserve is what you go earn.

Some of the teachers aren't from the US so breaking that language barrier is sometimes difficult

Ben

My classmates at the University of Nebraska at Kearney are motivated, kind, and accepting individuals who take their school work very seriously.

"Don't get distracted!" These are the exact words I would tell my senior self if such a thing were possible. College is full of new experiences - some good and some bad. Along with these new encounters comes freedom. For the first time in many students' lives, parental units are not around to nag about homework or curfews. It is now solely up to the students to take the wheel and control their destiny. That being said, it is not always easy to concentrate on school work, which is the reason you are there in the first place. As a college freshman talking to my senior self, I would re-iterate the importance of school work, especially in the midst of all the extras the college experience has to offer. The college life can be fun, but amusement must be prioritized behind the work that will undoubtedly lead to the benefication of the greater good of society in the future. We are America's future, after all.

The University of Nebraska at Kearney prides itself in its education program. However, a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate programs are available to non-education majors. The type of person that should attend this school is one who wants to major in education in education and does not mind the relatively rural setting. The town of Kearney has a population of 30,000, but despite its size, has plenty to do on weeknights and weekends.

Alexis

UNK is best known for it's Education Majoring programs.

UNK is best known for it's Education Majoring programs.

I love to procrastinate, I always have. Therein lies most of my academic setbacks, this may seem to be a very common problem among students but mine is a Stage 4 Procrastination. I have written more five to eight pages papers the day they were due than I would like to count or, for that matter, could count without having to use all of my phalanges and someone elses. My advice to my high school self would be to never EVER put anything off. I mean anything. The amount of times I put off the most seemingly insignificant assignments that ended up almost hindered me from graduating is more than embarrassing. I would definitely tell myself that even though procrastination seems rewarding at the time, it causes unearthly large downfalls in life, especially in the would of my education.

The most frustrating thing about my school is how much it costs. Granted, it is much cheaper than other schools, even other Nebraska Universities,. My problem is that, like most high school graduates, I have never had to pay for school and now it costs roughly $7,000+ dollars for a single semester.

Reanna

If i were a senior in high school again I would have advised my self to do many more things. Taking some college classes while in high school would have been very beneficial for me in the long run. I would have taken these classes very seriously. I also would have applied for more scholarships. I had more free time back then and it would have been a better use of time. I would have explained to my self the importance of getting an education because gives me a huge advantage against my compition in the job market. These things would have made my life easier.

I don't like the meal plan. It is manditory and I often find it not needed.

I love the University of Nebraska at Kearney I recomend it to anyone. One of the frustrating things is the cost.

Gabriela

Don't take what other people say about you too seriously, they won't remain your friends in college and you will all go separate ways. Your academics in High School are very important, so make sure you study for that history and english exam instead of just cramming it all the night before. The ACT will haunt you for a while, make sure you are prepared for it. Living away from home will be a wonderful thing for about the first three years, then you will miss living at home and realizing how easy of a life it used to be. Not understanding Math, or Chemistry in high school is totally okay you can still be a Dentist, it's the teachers who do not know how to teach, in college you will succeed with flying colors in both those courses and you will love them. Your friends will not tell you that they care about good grades because it's "uncool" but they do, and so do you. Don't take life too seriously it is just high school. College will turn out to be one the most wonderful times of your life.

people who dont' put academics first

I would tell myself that I should've saved all the money I possibly could have for college. I wouldn't have spent any money so I wouldn't have to take out as many loans. I would also make myself realize that college isn't nothing like high school. You are responisbile for your own education and responsible for attending class and passing it. The teachers here care whether you are in class or not, but they can't force you to be there. I've noticed the teacher will help you, if you ask for help. They want you to succeed and do great, but you have to be willing to and try to as well.

The worst thing is the cost to attend. I had to take out many loans to pay for school, just for my first year. I know it's only going to get worse and I can't afford it. I should have taken a speech online course this semester but it costs a lot more than a regular course and I can't afford that.

The most frusterrating thing is how much it costs to take online courses. I have a fainting problem and needed to take a online speech class because I can't afford to keep seeing the heart doctor but I had to drop that course because I couldn't afford it.

Brittanee

Brittanee, remember to always follow your heart. College has so much to offer, and you will come to times where you feel the need to change your path and that is okay, every single time. But when you find what is truly right, you will feel it. Embrace it, and work your hardest to succeed at whatever it is. College will not be easy, but so long as you’re continually working your hardest, you’ll never fail. You’re going to get goosebumps when you graduate from High School. Strive for those goosebumps as you seek college graduation. Never forget that college is a place where you’re dreams are only going to be strengthened. Put a stamp on the hearts of others and always stay involved. You’re going to love the people, the places, and the opportunities it will continually provide. Keep an open mind and appreciate every moment. Don’t hesitate to ask for help. That’s what the professors and resources are there for. The going will get tough, but never give up and always remember that YOU CAN DO IT.

The best thing about the University of Nebraska at Kearney is its size. It's not too big and not to small. Every aspect of it is personal; the classes, the involvement, the organizations, etc. It's a good feeling to know that professors know you by name, classmates remember you each year, and you have the ability and time to make great friends whom you know will be in your life after graduation. It's been very beneficial in my success not only with course work, but with all my involvement on and off campus.

To attend the University of Nebraska at Kearney you need to keep an open mind. You'll be introduced to a variety of areas of study, ethnicities, and activities. If you've lived in a shell, it's time to come out. At this school, almost everyone strives to form the "home away from home," almost like a second family. The professors encourage not only academic success, but involvement int the community and on campus. College is a whole new ballpark but the University of Nebraska at Kearney welcomes all with arms wide open.

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself not to panic. In the months, weeks, and days before starting college, I panicked a lot. I panicked about anything and everything that I could. My biggest worry was that I would not be able to keep up with the school work in college along with working a part time job. In high school, my teachers always piled on assignment after assignment, and would say something like, "When in college you will need to know how to balance all of the school work your professors throw at you". That statement always made me worry. I knew that in college we wouldn't have the same calsses everyday, so I thought my school work was going to be even bigger and harder than it was in high school. Now that I am in college, I know that since we don't spend a whole day in classes, unlike high school, we have that extra time to spend working a job and doing homework assignments. I actually enjoy the college life, and there really was no reason for me to panic.

I like the size of the campus best because, to me, it feels big, but it's not overwhelmingly big. I think it is a comfortable size for a unniversity campus.

I think the on campus parking is most frustrating. I paid for a permit, but yet I still have to walk a somewhat far distance because all of the close parking spots fill up first.

Brooke

Reflecting on what I have learned from the past two years at my current college, I would have plenty of advice to give myself as a high school senior. I would tell myself that choosing Early Childhood Education was the right major choice, even though they may not be the highest paying careers. You will realize this, your first semester when you observe a three year old boy, Logan, whose parents have recently split up and acts out in the classroom. This will hit home to you, when you reflect on how you acted out when your parents split up when you were his age. Your fear of not seeing your friends from high school who were able to go away will be subsided when you see them every day during your breaks and visit them when you are able to. You will make friends at college despite the slacker stigma it has. These friends will help you grow and learn more about yourself in one semester than you ever thought you would. And lastly, remember that although attending your Community College wasn't your first college choice it will be turn out to be the right one.

University of Nebraska at Kearney administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.