Omaha, NE
University of Nebraska at Omaha

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Nebraska at Omaha

BreAnna

My classmates are a diverse group of people who enjoy interacting with one another as a way to understand how others think, while also expressing their own opinions on several topics discussed in class.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have told myself to take appyling for scholarships for college more seriously because I have to constanly worry about how I am going to pay for school year after year. Even though I applied for some scholarships as a high school senior, I did not apply for enough to avoid a financial burden that I am dealing with now. I ended up getting 4 out of the 14 that I applied for, however I still had to take out a loan which was my worst fear. That is the most important thing I would advise myself because I realized that federal loans are temporary financial aid, that will have to eventually be paid back once you graduate college. It gets even more difficult to search for financial aid once you are in college so applying for as much as you can while in high school is very imperative. Another piece of advice I would give myself is to develop the best study method that works because it will come in handy when studying for exams. I found notecards to be very helpful.

Before I had came to the University of Nebraska Omaha, I wish I would have known about scholarship opportunities for students who are akready attending college and not just learning about the ones offered to high school graduates.

Meredith

UNO is a significantly better school than its reputation suggests, and if you end up coming here instead of your first choice, give it a chance.

UNO is right in the middle of Omaha, so it doesn't completely dominate your life.

Don't worry so much about "the college experience". Worry even less about being popular. Nobody in college cares about who you used to be, or your awkward phases. They're all incredibly friendly - even the professors, who are actually doing something they love, instead of the teachers in high school who got stuck there. Everyone in college wants you to succeed. It isn't like Legally Blonde or Animal House unless you want it to be. Make sure you read everything all the way through - financial aid, scholarship applications, the guidelines for your general requirements. College is a money-making operation, but you can have it without squeezing yourself dry. Most of all, have fun. It's not about drinking every weekend or studying for six hours a night. Find a happy medium and balance yourself out. That will make your college experience better than any tired old cliche.

Quinn

Mostly spoiled brats who either live with their parents or live in the dorms with all expenses paid by their parents. Msot do not work and take any more than a full-time academic load, yet will constantly complain about the amount of work given in courses.

I would take college seriously from the start and apply early since the bulk of scholarships are onyl offered to first-time freshman students. I would double up on classes while my parents were paying all my expenses since the coursework is ridiculously easy and someone without a job can easily take twice a full-time academic load. would finish my degree as quickly as possible.

The financial aid office will not offer you hardly any money if you have a job. They also will send you your money only a day or two before the semester starts (if you're lucky). Scholarships are only given to entering freshmen students. It doesn't matter if you have a 4.0 GPA, you don't get a dime of assistance unless you are a first-time Freshman.

Crystal

I like the University of Nebraska at Omaha for a matter of reasons. First of all, UNO is in the city that I grew up in and it is where my parents and my other immediate family members currently live, which allows me to commute from home, so I get to see my family every day. Another reason as to why I enjoy UNO is because it has a community of people who are always willing and are prepared to help you in any direction you may want to take.

If it were possible that I could somehow talk to my high school senior self that would be really awesome and helpful. This would be really helpful because I could give myself many tips and ensure that I actually carry them out. Tips such as apply, apply, apply, and apply for scholarships because in the world today money is getting harder and harder to obtain as well as to keep, so it would been helpful if I could've at least applied for a few scholarships. Also to get myself to actually apply for scholarships, I would explain to myself that my parents who are helping me to pay for school also have three other children that they have to make sure goes to college. Another tip I could give to myself would be to explore as many as colleges as I can and to research various careers and majors so I could have a better picture of what I want to do and be in my life.

I think that this particular school can be for anybody who is looking for some great education in helping them with whatever may lie ahead for them in the future. UNO has a vast variety of undergraduate programs that can prepare you for graduate schools of your choice and it also has a multitude of choices of graduate programs. As well, UNO can prepare you if you're seeking to head straight into the workforce after you've completed an undergraduate program.

Alexander

The University of Nebraska at Omaha has a wonderful business program, as well as one of the few institutions in the midwest that have an accredited aviation program. Both schools have a set curriculum that gives you an understanding of what classes to take in order to graduate in the average time it normally takes.

My advice would be to get involved with as many clubs or organizations as you possibly can. Often when going to college, it's a totally new environment from what you're used to. So having a familiar face or two around campus can be very relieving and reassuring at times when you're lost finding a building, or looking for somewhere to sit at lunch. And being able to find the right balance between clubs, and academics. Tests are at a completely different level in college, so I wish I had taken my professor's words more seriously n preparing for most exams.

I wish the University of Nebraska at Omaha had more classes taught by more professors and less Graduate Teaching Assistants. In the classroom I firmly believe a student is able to learn more with a professor who has taught the subject or class for years and who's policies tend to be more gracious and fair than a Graduate TA who has little experience teaching.

Katherine

I would tell myself to save money now so I wouldn't have to work so hard later. I would tell my high school self that there will be hard things to deal with but to remember that life goes on and that everything will be alright. I would tell myself not to take life too seriously and try to have fun. I would stress the imprtance of the "little things." There will be love and loss in the future but you'll be stronger because of it. I would tell my high school self to never push away friends because you're too busy. Enjoy every minute of everyday...

I wish I would have known how expensive it would be. It's hard being a full time student and working over time to make ends meet. I wish i would have started saving a long time ago.

There is always someone outside playing music, handing out information, or preaching about something. When I only have 10 minutes to walk across campus it's nice to not be bothered.

Jamel

What is so unique about this school is the student-teacher ratio in most classes and how helpful they are. From the financial aid offices, to the teachers, to even the academic advisors, this school wants you to succeed. Now with the previous community college i went to i didnt feel that they were trying to help me at all. The teachers only were here for a second job and the advisors was never there to help.

The difference between the 20 year old Jamel and the 18 year old Jamel is maturity. I didnt take college seriously and that is why i didnt apply for scholarships and didnt take the neccessary procedures to get school paid for. I dropped out of sports, my GPA dipped my senior year and i was not focused on what was important. I was focused on girls, drugs, and trying to be popular. So if i had to give myself advise, it would be a phrase. "What Would Jesus Do". Jesus wants every man woman and child to have joy and happiness in their life. Not only does he want that but he wants long term joy. All of those things i named before was short term joy and that is why i feel that i am a better person now that i have my head on straight. It was a long road even getting to high school and i would feel that some of the things that i had to go through he would need to go through to become a man. And that is what the 20 year old Jamel is today. A young, spiritual, intelligent young man.

The most frustrating thing about my school is myself. Once you fall behind than it is very hard to catch up. I attended this college in the past but becuase i caught Mono i lagged behind and soon was placed on Academic Probation. I found out that i was not ready for a 4 year university so i decided to go to a community college and i am now on the right track by coming back to the univeristy to obtain my bachelors degree.

I would take my education my seriously. I made the mistake of not picking a degree and took classes that ended up being unnecessary. This wasted time and money and I ended up at college an extra year. Also, I would plan ahead on finances.

Anyone is welcome at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. It has a diverse group of faculty and staff. Everyone is welcoming.

My school is conveniently located in the heart of Omaha. The school has an assortment of degrees available, with excellent staff to help you pursue your academic goals. There are many activities available for anyone looking for the college experience. The university also has taken on ambitious expansion plans with their recent additions and renovations. The University of Nebraska at Omaha offers an excellent college experience.

Alyssa

I would say that my university is best known for the awesome hockey team! We also have one of the best libraries in the area, the UNO Criss Library and I have found it and the librarians very helpful. Another thing that I think is nice are the dorms, it's part of the reason I came here because they are nice and homey feeling, after all they are my home away from home.

I would tell myself to NOT take it easy my senior year in high school! It might seem like the year to relax, but getting used to relaxing was a huge problem for me when I got to college. The stakes are much higher than in high school (even though I attended a nationally ranked school for ACT scores), much more work is required in college and I had to learn that the hard way. I would also tell myself to not get carried away with the newfound freedom of living on my own on campus. Just because you aren't "required" to go to class, doesn't mean you are not required to go to class....that is a must. I would also remind myself to stay focused on school and not get distracted by my social life and everything going on around me, because school is always top priority. I would remind myself of that over and over again!

There are so many different kinds of people that attend this school. I have met so many people I wouldn't have known if I did not come here. The school is very diverse and I find nearly everybody to be kind, accepting, and helpful to everyone. It's not too big, and not too small. There are so many great opportunities here for everybody from arts to sciences to business programs.

My senior year of high school was amazing. I had so much fun with my beloved friends throughout the year. However, there are some things I wish I could re-do if I had the chance. For example, I applied to a lot of colleges. This created a lot of unnecessary stress. It's kind of ironic that I ended up going to community college. I would tell myself to be mindful of where I would apply. I would minimalize the colleges I applied to and make sure each college I apply to is realistic budget, academic, and geographical wise. I would ensure I visited a lot of colleges and apply to colleges with a great variety of academic and extracurricular programs. I would remind myself that even though going to college with my friends sounds fun, I have to do what is best for me and my interests. I would motivate myself to get all the tasks done as soon as possible while applying to college. And finally, I would tell myself to not sweat the small stuff, to take every day as it comes and to cherish every moment because someday soon, it will all be over

University of Nebraska at Omaha administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.