University of Nebraska at Omaha

« See more reviews of University of Nebraska at Omaha

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I would advise myself to look at more colleges. The university I go to I like, but I'm sure there are a lot of other universities that I could have gone to that I would have liked and even loved. When I was a junior and senior, I was only looking at colleges based on the major I was interested in at the time, which I'm not even interested in anymore. Looking and picking a college is a lot of work, but the more work you put into it, the better the chance you will find that one special college that is perfect for you. I dont believe the college I chose is perfect for me, I should have thought more about the type of environment and the people I wanted to surround myself with and not just base it on what majors the college had or people that I would know if I went to a certain college. Again, I do like the college I chose, however, I believe there is a better college out there that would better suit me and what I like.

I would suggest for parents to be encouraging to their children in choosing their careerpath and college. No matter the location of campus, financial aid and scholarships are always available to help in any costs. Encourge your children to take interesting classes to find out more about themselves and what they want to do for a living. For students, do not be afraid to branch out and meet new people on campus. You are going to be spending about four years going to school, so you should make the most of your time expanding your network and connections to people who are learning along with you. Try to get involved in at least one activity because this will introduce you to more opportunities and people that you may not have met otherwise. Go to class, no matter how tempting skipping may be, you are paying good money for an education, so soak up your knowledge. You have the power to make the most out of your college experience so do not be afraid of this opportunity.

I would love to say all those organizations and groups you were a part of matter in college, but they don't. Now is your chance to start over, make new friends, and start building your resume. Start looking for organizations to be a part of, and stick it out. It looks good on a resume if you keep up with an organization for a long period of time. When you write your resume you won't include any of the things you did in high school, so you have to get a leg up on the competition and start running for student government or being the founding member of a sporting club now(maybe ping pong?). There are lots of things to be a part of; you just have to pick one. Make sure you keep up with your studies too. One bad grade will tear down your GPA so fast your head will spin. Make sure you remember though, that your major classes won't fill up all the credits you need to graduate, so it's ok to take some classes you think sound fun because you will need the credits anyway.

Hey Aisha, its me your future self. Yeah i know freaking awesome and weird at the same time, but that is not why i am here. I want to tell you something i wish i would have known back then. Dont start drinking. Yeah your bored and out to piss off our stepdad but its not worth it, cause one day in that drunken state we call the military recruiter and say we want to join. The next day mom is signing the papers cause we are only 17 and need her permission, but we're to messed up to realize what the fuck we're doing. We drop out of college and the life long dream of becoming a Nurse and and go to bootcamp. We gave up on our goals and that will soon become a trend of ours. We start giving up because things are just to hard. We tried going to school while working but again we fail because we dont know how to balance work, school and drinking. But let me tell you, once we finally stop the partying, we're a great student. We have so much Potential. DON'T EVER FORGET!

Wow, well for one I would tell myself to enjoy the last year of your high school experience but still work hard. Believe it or not you will miss high school so live it up while you can but be preparing yourself for college all at the same time. Secondly I would say follow your dreams and your heart, not your friends or your families, your own heart. Don't go somewhere only because your friends are going or because your parents went there, go where you and only you want to go. This is honestly a one in a lifetime experience so take it and run with it. Once you get to the college YOU want to go to get involved. This is the best advice I can give. It makes a world of difference to be involved in a group(s), putting yourself out there is the best way to get to know people and really enjoy every aspect of college life. Lastly, don't get caught up in the parties and not going to class. Once you fall behind it's nearly impossible to catch up. Oh and HAVE FUN!

I would put one hand on my shoulder and tell myself to start taking school a bit more seriously. In high school, I was eager to get out and my day ended around 12:30 pm, right after lunch. Right after I graduated, I worked for about a year and a half and realized my life wasn't really going anywhere. That's when I decided to go to college. Knowing what I know now, I think the best advice I could give myself would be to sieze the opportunities as soon as they come instead of waiting. Deciding on a major was the hardest thing I had to do, but once I had it, things started to take shape and the gears in my life began turning. And not just the regular ones, but the really big gears that have been waiting to turn since I was born. These were the gears of my career and the career is the biggest part in the machine that is my life. In conclusion, I would say: decide on a goal or major as soon as possible, and don't stop trying to obtain that goal.

Make sure that sending your child to a school isn't all about the school being "prestigious" or ivy league because with experiencing a state school compared with some of my friends who attend private schools, I feel I have the same quality of education and attention from professors. Some private college's are priced so high and you can get just about the same education as colleges that are not ranked as high. With that said, parents shouldn't send their child just anywhere, but definitely research what they want in the school they are sending their child to. Overall, make sure that the school will be somewhat entertaining for their child, because as much as parents want their child to just focus strictly on school, students will want more out of their college experience than just academics. If that isn't met sometimes the student will have a worse time then if there were things to do that were fun but also approriate too.

The very first thing I would tell myself is to calm down, because it’s not the end of the world that you didn’t get into your dream college right away. Take this opportunity to save and fill out scholarships so as to later afford the school you want. Also, there are benefits to staying in Nebraska. You will get to better plan your life and how to achieve your goals. The biggest thing that came out of staying in Nebraska is that your best friend in the whole world will need you in a couple years and if you moved away she would be in poor house. Consider the blessings you have and how you can help her out because she will need it within two years. My last piece of advice is when life gets rough in college sit back, relax, watch a movie or a Friends episode because it will work out. You’re smart, creative and can work through any project put on your shoulders. P.S. Summer of 2014 will be a great summer to be in school!

The biggest thing I got out of college was education. All of the professors I have had so far are very inteligent and helpful. They want you to succeed and they will help you, but they expect you to put in a lot of hard work too. I know that with this education I will be sucessfull in my future with my career and my family. I have also gotten long lasting friendships. I joined a sorority and I have made some of the most fun and trustworthy friends I have ever had. Also out of my college experience I have learned a lot about time management. In high school I did not have to study at all, but once I got here I learned that was going to quickly change! I learned to tackle going to class, studying, doing homework, being actively involved in a sorority, and also playing intermurals. That will help me also in my future when I have deadlines to meet for certain things. College is a very good investment for your future.

As a student at the University of Nebraska Omaha, there are many things i can tell you about finding the right college but in the end it is what feels right to you. First I should start by saying I am not a nebraska resident, I am a colorado resident and my whole family lives in Colorado. I didn't do much to look for a school in fact I never even visit UNO before coming here. I do think it is extremly important to take I tour of the school to see what it is like and to see what they have to offer you. I would also recommned writting a list of things you want in a college such as size, majors and etc. Last if your thinking of going out of state only to be farther away from home, I would think twice. Just being on your own is hard enough for the first time but to be 5-20 hours away from your family is even harder. So just go with what your heart tells you and whatever you decide will be the right decision.