University of Nebraska at Omaha

« See more reviews of University of Nebraska at Omaha

Don't just look at one college, explore your options. Also, don't be afraid of colleges far away from home. The best situation is to attend a successful college with support for what you want to study in a location that is comfortable for the student. So go out there and visit colleges you are interested in and picture yourself attending that place everyday for the next four years. Once you find one that you like and that is affordable, strive to attend that university. If for any reason you don't like your field of study or the college itself, make a change and do it soon. I spent two years in a major I didn't like so now I am behind. So if you think that you are in the wrong major, switch it for a different one and do it early. Attending a college that is comfortable to you and studying a major that you truly enjoy will greatly increase your chances of being happy and successful later in life.

College has taught me to be a professional as well as a team player. While I was in high school, I could get by doing a lot of studying on my own and very seldomly sought help from others. In college, I have learned that it is often beneficial to ask for assistance and that working along with others is the key to success. Attending college also offers the opportunity to students to become exposed to diverse populations. In my hometown, virtually everyone was a middle-class white. farmer At UNO, I have had the pleasure of interacting with people of all cultures, ethnicities, religions, and socioeconomic backgrounds. I have also been forced out of my comfort zone to build relationships with other students and faculty members. The experiences that I have gained from my college experience will be invaluable as I continue to contribute to my community as a working professional.

I have been a really shy person throughout my life, and I was scared of college. I almost didn't want to go. Then, orientation came and I put my name down for fraternity recruitment. I have gotten soo much out of my fraternity, I don't think I wouyld have made it through my first semester without it. It pushed me to keep my grades up, its helping me become a better person, and I learned that fraternities arent what you think they are. I encourage everybody I know to become involved in an activity outside of class to further enhance their college experience and to help keep them on track. College is a life experience that everybody should be able to enjoy, as it will be critical to your future employment. I know that going to college will give me the degrees I need to become a physician, and will greatly increase my chances of getting hired. I advise everybody to attend college.

Don't worry so much about "the college experience". Worry even less about being popular. Nobody in college cares about who you used to be, or your awkward phases. They're all incredibly friendly - even the professors, who are actually doing something they love, instead of the teachers in high school who got stuck there. Everyone in college wants you to succeed. It isn't like Legally Blonde or Animal House unless you want it to be. Make sure you read everything all the way through - financial aid, scholarship applications, the guidelines for your general requirements. College is a money-making operation, but you can have it without squeezing yourself dry. Most of all, have fun. It's not about drinking every weekend or studying for six hours a night. Find a happy medium and balance yourself out. That will make your college experience better than any tired old cliche.

When deciding what college is right for you, the most important question to ask yourself is a simple one; "Can I see myself attending this college?" You must feel comfortable at the campus and you must feel comfortable with the staff. If you can take a step back and see yourself still attending a college in three years, then it is a good school for you. After you choose a school, then you obviously want to do two things; get good grades and enjoy yourself. Getting good grades can sometimes be easier said than done, but as long as you put time into each one of your classes, you will be happy with yourself. Enjoying yourself is as simple as getting involved on campus. If you join different campus groups like student government or greek life, you will find yourself not only enjoying your experience more, but also more focused on your goals and the future.

If it were possible that I could somehow talk to my high school senior self that would be really awesome and helpful. This would be really helpful because I could give myself many tips and ensure that I actually carry them out. Tips such as apply, apply, apply, and apply for scholarships because in the world today money is getting harder and harder to obtain as well as to keep, so it would been helpful if I could've at least applied for a few scholarships. Also to get myself to actually apply for scholarships, I would explain to myself that my parents who are helping me to pay for school also have three other children that they have to make sure goes to college. Another tip I could give to myself would be to explore as many as colleges as I can and to research various careers and majors so I could have a better picture of what I want to do and be in my life.

It’s amazing how in high school home work takes barely any time to complete where as in college it takes much more time and concentration. This is why the most important skill I gained from attending college is time management over my home work assignments. It took me a good semester to learn just how important it was to line up all the assignments from biggest to smallest. If I didn’t get the bigger ones done first, they didn’t get finished at all and therefore I would be stressed and awake all night trying to finish all my homework. Now that I am in my third semester of college I am much better at organizing my homework and I almost never suffer from lack of sleep due to getting all my assignments done on time and my grades do not suffer as well. This is why time management has become my most important life skill gained from attending college.

Dear Felicia, I talking to you with a heavy heart and hope you are listening to me. Please get your life straight and take this last year at North high school more serious. I know that you are hurting and in pain because your mother died your freshman year. And you skipp classes and not focus on what is important right now. But it is never to let to turn your life your to God and get back in to school. If you start now it will not be so hard for you when get older. Please consider what I am saying to you. I only what the best for you and things in this world are getting harder. I truly believe that if you better your studing habits now, when you decided to futher your education it will not be a hard transition for you. I love yo and have faith in you that you will settled down and take your education serious.

I would tell myself to NOT take it easy my senior year in high school! It might seem like the year to relax, but getting used to relaxing was a huge problem for me when I got to college. The stakes are much higher than in high school (even though I attended a nationally ranked school for ACT scores), much more work is required in college and I had to learn that the hard way. I would also tell myself to not get carried away with the newfound freedom of living on my own on campus. Just because you aren't "required" to go to class, doesn't mean you are not required to go to class....that is a must. I would also remind myself to stay focused on school and not get distracted by my social life and everything going on around me, because school is always top priority. I would remind myself of that over and over again!

When I was in high school I was told that college is not a joke and Its nothing like high school. I just laughed and walked away thinking to myself everyone is crazy. Getting through the four years of high school years i was just passing and made it to graduation I was lucky. Now that I am a freshman in college im kicking myself in the butt and wished I tried harder in high school! Getting to the end of freshman year I realized that I needed to listen to the people that want to see me succeed. I did. Now next year im going to University at buffalo to spealizes in medicine. The pass year i have been working hard to reach for my goals in life. I believe I should recieved this scholarship because I'm going to work hard and devote all my time to reach what I know I can achieve.