University of Nebraska at Omaha

« See more reviews of University of Nebraska at Omaha

I have learned more then just stuff I learn in classes. I have learned responsibility, having to get up and motivate myself to go to class everyday, time management, I am in a sorority, I work, I go to school, plus I have homework and tests. All of it really has taught me how to jugle my time. I have learned to be open-minded, there are so many different people at my school, I have learned to not judge them, jump to conclusion. I give everyone a chance, I always help people that ask me for help whether it is a homework question to where a certain building is. A huge thing it has taught me is, there is a lot of things that can be worse, I just need to work as hard as possible, and stay positive.

Go into your freshman year with a positive mindset. Be confident in yourself and be open about joining clubs and getting involved. If you are going to school with your best friend, make sure to make sometime to get out and meet other people. Transition is difficult, but if you cling to someone because they are the only thing familiar to you, it makes the college experience more difficult than it needs to be. Go out on your own, and take some classes by yourself, that way you get a chance to meet other people. It's is all about meeting other people and having fun. College is a new experience, there is no one to dictate what you should be doing everyday, like in high school. Make the best of it.

I would recommend that students and their parents visit as many schools as possible. Even if that school is on the bottom of your list you should take a look at it because you never know. Students should talk to friends who attend different schools to get their take on the academics, extracurriculars, and social life. Also do not choose a school based on where your friends are going. You need to find the one that fits you the best! College is a great experience for everyone. Not only when it comes to academics, but also life-long memories and friendships. You should take your academics seriously and do the best you can, but do not forget to have fun...life is short!

Stick with the path you are choosing, going to a community college and transferring credits over to a four year is a smart, easy transition and is helpful when it comes to the money. Take your time and explore all your ideal majors, you're young and the major you choose will be the career path you choose for your life. Yes, you can always go back to school if the one you choose ends up not being right but, you're young now so explore, think, figure things out. You have one life, and you should find a passion, not a job. If it ends up taking 5 years until you graduate instead of 4, that's okay. Work hard, study hard, but live your life and have fun too.

My college experience had made me seen part of the real life and the real world. Also have helped me improve as a student and as a person. In college one has to be punctual and be respectful with everyone. Because this experience your going to use it in jobs or with other people that you spend your life with. It has been valuable to attend college becasue you learn new subjects everyday. Getting the knowledge that when your out of college you will have to do and live your own life. And thats when you take your own decissions, wheather they are wrong or good, which is up to you. Your going to be the only responsible for your mistakes.

Go to class. Make school a priority. Study some every day. Do the homework. Apply for any and all aid and scholarships available. Put all your effort forth to do well. Make friends and have fun. Invest into friends' and your familie's lives. Get involved in things that are important to you and coincide with your values and what you stand for. Communicate often with your advisor to make sure your classes get you to your degree as fast and efficiently as possible. School is your full time job, but make sure to let yourself breath and relax at least one day a week. Have fun! Make college a great experience to remember after you graduate!

Don't assume. You know that saying when it comes to assuming, well it's true. Nothing good happens when you assume, in fact bad things will happen. Have a plan. It may seem like you have everything together and that some parts of the equation will come together by themselves but that will not happen. Get it everything together including finances and even your room. Expect the unexpected. Nothing will ever go as you planned so don't expect it to, pretty much anything will and can happen. In a nutshell, keep everything together! You've already got the fun part down so just get organized and everything will come together!

Speaking in general terms, as there are naturally some colleges out there that aren't as good for some subjects as others, a student can do just as well, if not better by going somewhere that isn't at the tip of your budget. If you do serious research into schools and don't go by the word of the recruitment staff, you'll find that the best option might be relatively inexpensive and closer to home. My school is relatively cheap (in-state), but is absolutely fantastic at a variety of subjects. And when I need free food, I'm only about 10 miles from home (which is also far enough away to be independent, thankfully).

I would not talk myself out of going out of state. I think it would of been a good experience to get away from everything and start life out on a new slate. I just thought I would get homesick if I were to live more than 3 hours away from my house. Also if your debating about playing sports in college, do it. You will regret it if you don't. And if you hate it you can always quit, or transfer. But I made my best friends by deciding to play. It wasn't necessarily my teammates but it was all the other girl athletes that I met through university seminar. It gives you a way of meeting people. Loved that I played!!!

If I could talk to my 18 year old self, I would tell me to be focused on my studies more so then work. The transition between high school and college was very rough because I insisted on living on my own. I would tell myself to stay at home with mom, save 70% of all of my income in a savings account, and enjoy the time with my family because as an adult in the working field, I have had to give up a lot of family events. I would tell myself to enjoy every second of every class because it's knowledge for my future. I wish I had been more focused on my classes because work doesn't end until you are 70+ now.