University of Nebraska at Omaha

« See more reviews of University of Nebraska at Omaha

Be open minded. The unknown is always scary, but worrying will do you no good. Be friendly, smile, and new friends will not be hard to come by. Do everything you can to keep the fires of past friendships burning. Moving on to college is a big step, but it is only one chapter in an ever-changing work in progress. Be patient, but never routine. There is no such thing as a time limit when it comes to your dreams, goals, or aspirations. Move forward with your eyes fixed upon the sky. Make each step more sure than the last and you will never fall down. Rest easy now; good sleep is hard to come by.

Most seniors try to make their senior year their best year by focusing on friends and partying and little on school. They have taken the majority of the classes they need to graduate and are just there because they need to be there. If I could do my senior year over again I would focus more on school. I would have taken an extra writing class and some more business courses. Students don't think to worry about how much more difficult college will be compared to high school. You should still enjoy your friends but make time for school instead of taking the easy way out because you can.

If I had a little brother or sister and my parents were asking me for advice on which school would be good for my brother or sister. I would tell them that five main things that you need to look at when deciding on a college for them is ; class size, availability of your major, class size, availablility of on campus or off-campus living, and the professors. This is some of the same advice my sister gave me when I was choosing a campus to go to when I was a senior in highschool. This is some of the best things that have helped me decide what and where is a great place to go to school.

In my short university experience I have gained many invaluable experiences that I would not trade for anything. While I do not drink or party, there is not a lot of emphasis in that lifestyle on our campus. Therefore, academic relationships are easy to form. I have grown mentally and have developed many skills that have proven to be invaluable in my life. My patience has grown as well as my maturity. I now accept the resposibility for all of my actions and study habits. I have learned so much within the realms of science and look forward to learning much more.

I have learned how to become a independent person. Before I came to college my parents did everything for me. I also have learned better time management. I found out that it is better to get projects and homework done as soon as you get the assignment. College has been valuable to attend because it has taught life long lessons and you meet many neat people. Attending collge will ensure me a better job then if I did not attend. I cannot wait to get done with school so that I can be with the young children and to teach them life lessons that I have learned.

My advice would be to get involved with as many clubs or organizations as you possibly can. Often when going to college, it's a totally new environment from what you're used to. So having a familiar face or two around campus can be very relieving and reassuring at times when you're lost finding a building, or looking for somewhere to sit at lunch. And being able to find the right balance between clubs, and academics. Tests are at a completely different level in college, so I wish I had taken my professor's words more seriously n preparing for most exams.

In finding the right college, I would suggest to know what extra curricular activities would be interesting outside of the classroom. Friendships will form in the classroom, but having another activity or sport to be involved in, especially if it is through the school, gives a sense of school spirit and pride. This will make the college experience more enjoyable and memorable for the future. Having school spirit also is important because every student should be proud to be a part of their school and where they are receiving their education from.

I would tell myself to save money now so I wouldn't have to work so hard later. I would tell my high school self that there will be hard things to deal with but to remember that life goes on and that everything will be alright. I would tell myself not to take life too seriously and try to have fun. I would stress the imprtance of the "little things." There will be love and loss in the future but you'll be stronger because of it. I would tell my high school self to never push away friends because you're too busy. Enjoy every minute of everyday...

To make the most out of your college experience a student should minimize the amount of time spent on working to make money and maximize the amount of time one can stay on campus and be involved in extracurricular activities. It will help one to take full advantage of opportunities that will look good on a resume, take more classes so that they can graduate on time, and give the time to have a true college experience. It will also promote good study habits and limit the amount of distractions and problems with time management.

Choosing where you want to go to college is an extremely personal -- and frequently stressful -- decision that teens and their families have to make. It's best to start looking at colleges in your Junior year of high school. In my opinion, it's best to choose a college depending on it's size, degrees offered, and also the city you would want to live in. As long as you work hard you can be very successful in your college experience. Also try and get involved in programs and clubs so that you can have some fun doing it.