University of Nebraska at Omaha Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Nebraska at Omaha

Katherine

I absolutely love being a student at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. UNO started as a commuter campus but has grown so much in the past twenty years. Now, there is ample gorgeous on-campus housing that provides the typical college experience, but it still has that non-traditional feel. Everyone at UNO has a story and they are there for more than just an education- we are students, workers, volunteers, activists, parents, spouses, and most importantly lifelong learners. UNO is the perfect school for someone who is looking for the American college experience, but wants to do more in their four years than just be a student. I could not imagine being anywhere else.

Kristine

Everyone is super friendly, and there are opportunities everywhere. I'm a music education major, and there are constantly performances and recitals offered for me to go to-for free! All UNO sponsored events are free for students with their MavCards-it's awesome!

The University of Nebraska at Omaha is an amazing place filled with spirit and connectedness. The students enjoy attending the events organized here on campus, and the dorms feel like home. The facilities from the library to the Wellness Center to the classrooms are chock full of resources and information for students of all kinds to access easily. The happiness the students feel about being here is tangible in the air all around campus and visible on the face of everyone blessed to be part of this amazing community of individuals.

Hayden

I have enjoyed the experience at UNO, I have learned a lot. The education is great. There are many of the opportunities to get involved in the community. For any of the students interested in some path or preparing to move on with the career, UNO is the great choice.

Katrina

Overall I really love UNO, The students are great here, there are so many diverse and interesting people. The faculty and staff are also quite nice. The campus size is perfect with everything in walking distance, and living in Omaha is so nice. Overall, UNO is great.

Julie

I grew up in Omaha and decided to stay in town after high school. My choices to get more education were Metro Community College, Omaha Community Playhouse Apprenticeship, and University of Nebraska at Omaha. I chose UNO because of the variety it offered and the community it gave me. I love it here, it's a great college.

Edwige

The University of Nebraska at Omaha has a big advantage on other schools because of its diversity. For instance, it’s full of international and national students creating a diversity of students and knowledges. Although it’s a diverse school the university doesn’t care about students. The tuition only is at high peak encouraging students to go into student loans. The university does not hire students as much as they should. People that aren’t students are more likely to be hired and that makes students feel left out of the school. It’s gradually turning into a racist campus with little to no racial diversity. For instance, Ansians are only seen with one another. Blacks form their own community/sorority and so on and so forth. It’s a good school, in terms of learning, security, and environment, but in terms of unity it lacks its ability to stand high among other schools. The sense of a unite big family despite it’s diversity is lacking within the walls of the university. There has to be improvements. Segregating sorority groups aren’t helping students. Only tuition without other expenses is like a burden on students’ minds. To improve the university students should be offered more job opportunities within and outside of the school. Grants and scholarships should be more available and some get together organizations that can make every student of different backgrounds feel like a part of the university need to be put in place. There shouldn’t be little organizations that only belong to black, white and purple students.

Erika

I believe it is an excellent school. They really appear to care about students and try to do everything possible to ensure success. They have plenty of activities and events to get involved in. The professors will assist you when needed and make themselves available.

ashley

It has everything I need in a college. Living on campus is an amazing experience, the facilities are top-notch, the professors are caring and good at teaching, the students are friendly, plenty to do around the community, and so much more. The University of Nebraska at Omaha is perfect!

Justin

My experience at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, overall, was a very good one. I felt that in going there, it was the best possible option for me. All of the teachers and staff were there to help me succeed, and were available and accommodating towards me in whatever I needed. The class sizes were perfect, and the curriculum and course information directed me to what I needed to succeed. The campus life was also bustling with life and excitement, be it an activity in the quad, or people taking a study break, or simply just relaxing out in the sun. I never felt shorted of my college experience going there.

Rhea

It is very affordable and convenient for residents of Nebraska to get to for the most part. It's a great place if you're looking for a school that isn't too big but not small either.

Janae

I really like the University, everyone here is very helpful. There's always someone their when you need them and you have an unlimited amount of resources. I would recommend other students to attend, not only because it's my preferable school of choice, but because you can be your self.

Abigail

I believe the University of Nebraska at Omaha is a place you can obtain a great education and experience many opportunities to advance and developed your educational portfolio and self knowledge. It is small enough for more personal interactions yet large enough to offer so many different opportunities to learn and grow.

Timberly

I'm going to be honest, I had no intentions of attending the University of Nebraska at Omaha at first. I was so turned off from the school because of how many college tours I have taken there from middle school up to high school and was tired of constantly going there. As senior year approached, things were getting serious and I needed to make a decision fast. My goal was to attend the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, but they didn't have my major and I discovered they were a bit of a party school, which is definitely not what I wanted to be surrounded by. I was encouraged to take another look at UNO and the Social Work Program sparked my interest and decided to give it a chance. That was the best decision I could've made. There are so many opportunities here I and many others, didn't realize existed here on campus. This campus is so welcoming, you are drowned in opportunities before you even start your first day in classes. Personally, if you want to stay in Nebraska, or are coming in from out of town, UNO is the right university for you. There are so many programs available to you based upon your major and plenty of opportunities here to make sure you stayed involved. I am definitely proud to be a Maverick.

Morgan

The University of Nebraska at Omaha is a clean, welcoming, diverse campus. As the Omaha metro continues to grow, UNO has made countless efforts to ensure that its growth is equal to that of the city's. Academics are undoubtedly the university's focus; however, there are plenty of social and extracurricular opportunities as well.

It’s not a horrible school it just isn’t for me. I always feel so alone even with hundreds of people around me. There’s no football team so we have nothing of that sort to even look forward to. I don’t belong here although some people might. It’s a beautiful campus

Alexis

I played softball at this university, and the reason that I chose this school was that it gave me a 'home away from home' vibe. I was going to be in a different state and choosing this school was a great choice. I felt very safe and there was never a shortage of things to do in the city of Omaha and near the school. I had an overall great experience there, and I would do it all over again if I could.

Jill

I've always wanted to go to UNO since it is close to home and I wanted to stay home for college. When I first went on campus I immediately fell in love with it. It is a very open campus that has a lot of beautiful buildings. It was also fascinating to find out that some of those buildings were the original buildings that were built. I also loved how modern the campus looked also. It was a very comforting are where I could just walk around and enjoy my time. I could see muself just sitting in the grass enjoying a nice book. I have also heard that UNO had a very good education program, which is what I want to major in. It's comforting to know that I will be in good hands while I'm learning to become a teacher. A lot of my teachers at high school got their degrees at UNO and all that they have had to say are good things about the university. The staff is very nice also. Any questions that I've had I have gotten an answer immediately and they made sure that I was ok and let me know that I could ask plenty more. When I did my campus visit the tour guides were also super nice and answered any questions we had while walking around. She was very welcoming while we took our tour. I can't wait to start my future with the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

Blake

I have really enjoyed my first semester here. I have learned a lot between my five classes. The profs are all very considerate and accommodating to students, and the academic advisors are more than helpful. Aside from parking, there are plenty of accommodations that are available to students without cars. There is a shuttle system that is run by the university, a local bus system that passes through the area, on campus housing, and plenty of off campus apartments within walking distance. The university itself is located in the center of Omaha, and thus it is around plenty of restaurants and places to shop. There is plenty of financial support and scholarships available to those that qualify for it. Best of all, there are hundreds of degree options at the university. I would definitely recommend the college to anyone looking for a second education.

Camron

I am extremely proud that I was accepted to the University of Nebraska at Omaha. I really hope that by filling out a lot of scholarships and applying for grants, that I will be able to afford to go here and live on campus. The campus, faculty, staff, students, and just about everything else are a dream. I look forward to hopefully making UNO my future.

Nathan

It is a great school for Criminal Justice and has good professors. I have learned a lot in my time here. Although, I lived off campus, it seems to have good housing for those who want to live on campus. It has a great student center and places to go to study and meet up with friends. It has a lot of things to do and a state of the art facility for going to work out and do extracurricular activities like basketball and sports with friends.

This is a very wonderful school with a fantastic Criminology and Criminal Justice program. I've never felt more welcome and safe than when I'm in class. I still have YET to meet a teacher who doesn't care about their students and what they're teaching. The campus is beautiful and the hockey games at Baxter are a blast! I really do love it here!

McKeilie

I love attending the University of Nebraska at Omaha. It has allowed me to find new friends and learn a lot about people from different cultures. I also enjoy the fact that it is not too big here. I am always running into people I know. I also feel like I really get to know my teachers due to having average size classrooms. I am glad that I have the opportunity to be enrolled here.

Brishianna

I was honestly afraid to go to college because I felt like there would be nothing there for me. I was overwhelmed and scared and very uneasy, but the staff and students here are so amazing and they do everything in their power to make you feel welcomed and to find you somewhere to feel safe, challenged, and like you belong. there truly is something for everyone here and if there isn't you're given the opportunity to make that environment for yourself and others.

Ayan

The University of Nebraska-Omaha gives such a unique feeling of community. There is no community bathrooms whatsoever, which I love, and most dorms come with it's own kitchen,living room, laundry mat in building, and all the dorms are fully furnished. I feel if I were to go out of state or anywhere else in Nebraska that I wouldn't find this type of housing that is apartment size and comes with multiple bathrooms depending on how many rooms. I love that education is put first and that we are encouraged to get involved within our community and are pushed out of our comfort zones and overall challenged in classrooms. I feel in love with UNO when I attended Summer Scholars as a junior during the summer and got a chance to live on campus where food, and transportation were covered. The cafeteria's are buffet-styled which has been amazing because there are lot of options , and something for everyone.

Aahlishiya

I wish they were a little more involved with financial support.There is many safety issues such as rape that has not been addressed. It has happened twice. I paid for a parking permit and due to the old tickets I have to pay for the permit and park off of campus grounds.

Courtney

I think UNO's campus is beautiful. I tend to keep to myself and not socialize too much but people are friendly and welcoming which has made my high school to college transition a bit easier. I come from a small town so a larger university was and still is a little daunting, but with kind people everywhere it gets a little easier every day.