University of Nebraska-Lincoln Top Questions

Torrie

The one major thing I would tell my senior self would be to take it easy on the pushups. I was enlisted in the Air Force set to leave for bootcamp in August. That summer I did nothing but pushups and run. All those pushups caused a fracture in my shoulder that needed surgery and resulted in me being taken out of the military. I would also tell myself to spend more time with your friends and not your boyfriend. Also that boyfriends do not matter and you need to enjoy high school with friends. One last thing I would say would be to get a less scratchy prom dress..that thing was a nightmare!

If I could go back and give myself some advice I would have three very important things to tell myself. The first thing that I would tell myself is to not be afraid to ask questions. It took me two semesters to muster up the courage to ask questions when I was confused because I was afraid of being judged by others. What I often found out was other people had the same questions. I would also tell myself of how important it is to always read the textbook, and don't assume the Powerpoint covers all the material to be tested. Most teachers test based on the textbook, and not their slides. Always read before class and come to class with questions. Lastly, I would also tell myself to not take everything so serious. Study hard, and focus on school-work but don't overthink the tests! If I had that advice my first semester, I think I would have had a better first year of College!

I would tell myself to be brave to take a chance with something, do something that I thought I wasn't capable of doing. I would tell myself to just put myself out there and even if I look like a fool, it would be worth it. I would tell myself to go out of my way and experience everything I had the opportunity to. Run for class president, try out of the dance team, I would tell myself to make my highschool years count, because these years set the tone for your college years and I would want to be apart of something.

Breathe, you will be stressed but you need to take a step back and just relax. Go to the gym when you get this way, it helps. Your classes are going to be hard but put in more effort than you need. Make a schedule so you do everything that needs to be done in your freetime instead of sitting around not doing anything. Another thing, take time for yourself, you're going to me people, friends and possible significant others, but you need to focus on yourself and your grades before getting involved in yourself. Those people you first meet aren't the ones you want to be around, you'll see that. Call mom more often, she needs that just as much as you do. Now there's a lot more but those things have to be experienced without advice. After all of this, take a breath, step back from everything, and relax.

Lauryn

Say yes. College presents you with so many new opportunities that just aren't available in high school. Once you get to college you will be bombarded with clubs asking you to join, greek life, honors, sports teams all looking for members. With all these new clubs and a new environemnt and new classes and people surrounding you, it may be in your best interest to join these clubs and sports team, it will make the transition from high school to college much easier. My advice to myself would be to say yes more. Life becomes way more interesting and fun once you start saying yes.

Ethan

Some advice I would give myself if I could go back to my senior year of high school would be to maybe take my freshman year of college off so I can save up money and to be much more flexible in my schedule on a day to day basis. I would tell myself these things, because from personal experiences I have dealt with the past year and a half, this would make my college experience much more enjoyable and easy. Although, I knew some of these things as a senior in high school, I never took it seriously. I don't remember why I never took it seriously, but now I realize my actions that didn't take back then are effecting my current college career.

Dear High School Senior Me, First of all, you aren't a Senior anymore- brace yourself to be back to not knowing anything. At college you don't know the short cuts to get to class on time or know which teachers are really nice to stressed students. You're a college Freshman now! But before your go getting all freaked out, remember this- you survived your first time being a freshman. Not only did you survive, you thrived. You nailed high school and now its time to nail college too. Don't worry about the dorms- they're pretty intuitive. You eat, you sleep, you play games in the hallways and lounges. Get to know your floor- don't be afraid to go around and start new conversations. Make sure you go around and find your classrooms BEFORE the first day of class. If you have a friend who's a year ahead, get them to show you around campus and name all the buildings. It'll make all the difference when you're running late one your first day. College is going to be so much fun. Don't be worried or scared. You got this.

I went to college with the idea of making a whole new set of friends, and leaving all my high school friends behind. Not only was this a bad idea, but it didn't work. One of my best friends that I've even been living with for two years now is a friend I have known since I was six years old. Unfortunately I did burn enough bridges to lose contact with some of the best people I've ever known. So I suppose my advice would be, "We all change, mature and move in different directions after high school, but don't forget that your high school friends saw you through all your awkward phases and bad style choices and still loved you the same. So go make new friends and start the next phase of your life, but don't burn the bridges that take you home."

Magella

I would tell myself not to stress out so much about choosing the "right" school. No matter where you go, you will meet people who make you feel welcome and at home. Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone more, but keep being involved with the activities you loved in high school. I would convince myself to stick to my morals and values, because most (if not all) of them will be challenged within the first semester of going off to college. Make sure you have a solid work ethic in place and be prepared to spend at least twice as much time studying here as you did in high school, but also make sure to leave some free time to explore and make an adventure out of being at a University.

Hey, yeah you! Move two rows up and three seats to the left! Not only are you sitting directly in the middle of the room, but that boy is pretty cute, too. Making new friends might be the hardest part of moving away, but just remember that everyone is in the same boat. It's scary to be away from the familiarity of old pals and

Carrying a planner that’s only been used for 2 months before finals, I would have my highschool self close his new laptop, give him the planner to fill out for the upcoming semester. After teaching him how to write simple dates for projects and homework, I’ll explain the UNL blackboard system. The main advice is all of his homework would be assigned on this system, and more importantly where his work would be submitted. I’d love him to avoid sleepless nights and be more relieved that he did quality work. The second piece of advice would be shocking to any gifted student taking AP classes. Read you books. “You bought them, you own them, you should actually read them,” is exactly what I would tell him. Knowing myself pretty well, I’d give him an example about the time my grades jumped straight from a B- to an A upon reading the book and using it as a study source. Last piece of advice would be to relax. Meaning he should hang out with friends or pick up a cup of tea after classes. Anything to keep his mind away from stress and focus on the experience.

Frank

If I could go back to high school and prepare myself better I would practice my presentation skills and the ability to talk in front of people. I would also tell myself to apply for more scholarships. Also, I would tell myself to go into college with an undeclared major and take time to explore all of my options. The last thing I would tell myself is to go into college with an open mind, and do the best that I can.

I would tell myself not to worry so much. It is okay not knowing the whole entire future. Really, only one person does, and He if thinks it best not to tell then there must be a pretty darn good reason. So embrace the mystery of it. Enjoy your senior year- the last time you put on the old blue and gold jersey for the team in the State race. The last time you hearing of Mr. O’Malley’s inspiring stories. The very last time you sit in Physics and hear 3 o’clock bell …because those lasts will soon turn to firsts. First college race, first cool professor, first ever class at University of Nebraska. And as for picking a college, don’t be too obsessed of the name and “brand” it carries. You always knew before happiness can’t be bought, don’t try and change that now. Instead focus on the place that wants you there. Make it a place that sees you as more than an ACT or GPA or mile time. Make it a place where you know that you are part of. And make sure the incoming freshman can feel the same way.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to give up. I have a diagnosis of Auspergers, but back then it went undiagnosed. I struggled with grades even though my tests where great and believed that maybe school just wasn't my thing. Now, going through college, I learned there are resources out there to help people with troubles like mine and am currently an A student. People are willing to help, if I'm willing to ask for it. If I hadn't given up, my grades would have matched my testing scores and felt like I had more of a chance at school so I would have graduated on time and went to college sooner and with confidence.

Look for scholarships now, and look everywhere. College is a great time to learn and grow as a person, and this joy is only amplified by the lack of debt you are accumulating. Your grades are important, but now what matters are your AP or college level classes. Just like high school courses in junior high, those grades are coming along with you into your next academic chapter. When it comes to getting into the college of your choosing, find out what matters to you most and highlight these passions. A 4.0 or greater only does so much, and honestly it does a lot less than you might have been hoping. From high school, the most important trait to carry over into college is a willingness to do the work, avoid procrastination, and take notes correctly. You are going to be adults and teachers will treat you as such. If its going to be late, let them know it is coming; however, do not offer an excuse on why it is late. Independace can be frightning, and if you find yourself drowning dont wiat; find help. You are independant, but you are not going through this alone.

Jayden

Do not be scared to declare to a degree and try something you think you might like. Dont let any opportunities pass by as they may come once and be once in a lifetime. Do not be afraid to leave the country and get out of your comfort zone as it will only make you a better person. Leaving the country gives you a true feel for how great your life really is. The most important advice I have is don't be afraid to get a second opinion about your grades and classes. Going to more than one advisor is okay. My general education advisor was not very helpful and actually had me take classes that I did not need. Another huge point of advice is make sure to keep yourself involved with campus and go to social gatherings provided by your campus. Everyone needs the down time to collect themselves and needs the social sense of belonging. You will also be suprised when you meet some of the best friends in your life. My best advice is don't go through college doing things you think your parents want you to be be yourself. My biggest mistake.

Hana

I would tell myself to apply to more scholarships, and work hard on the ACT. Grades got me some scholarships, however, the ACT scores really helped others get scholarships. I put more focus on my grades on not practicing for the ACT, and this is why I didn't get as many scholarships as I would have needed.

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to be more prepared. Being in high school I had honors and AP classes that I felt would help me have a better feeling of what my college courses would be like. Upon being in college I realized it is not the same. I would explained to myself that college is hard and if not approached in the right way it can be stressful. I would let myself know that I should have been applying for scholarships during the same time I was applying for colleges, and that it is going to be an adjustment of putting yourself in the right mindset and come to terms with the fact that you don't have your parents in your face reminding you to do homework and to keep up with your stuff. To me this would have been helpful advice to receive before coming to college.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life and the transition needed to be made, the advice I would give myself is be prepared and willing to let go of any form of immaturity. I see far too many Freshman students come into college with a high school mindset which often times affects their academics negatively. College is a whole new world which is put in place to help a person develop and advance in order for them to be better equipped to take on life's challenges. Utilize your networking skills as College is a very large and diverse community. Become aquainted with professors and other college students from different backgrounds. Also, don't be intimidated by the volume and level of work required of you to produce. All those years in high school were implemented in you for a reason. Stay focused, never lose sight of what your dreams are, work VERY hard and stay humble.

I would tell myself to not stress about majors freshman year. Focus on getting good grades during the required courses. I would focus more on job shadowing rather than having a job that first year. Hopefully through job shadowing, you will be able to find the career that is right for you. Another tip I would tell myself is to make sure to leave your dorm room door open. That is the greatest and easiest way to meet people on your floor and make lifelong friends. This is also a great way to meet people in your major and to find study partners or groups. Also, always be early for class and get to know your professors. They are the best way to get great reference letters for internships, jobs, or scholarships down the road. Visit office hours, speak up in class, and do your best to be noticed and stand out. Not only will it impress the professors, but it will also help you in the future.

Elise

I've only been in college for one semester and already my life has completely changed from how it was as a high school senior. As time passes, we grow, mature, and flourish into lovely human beings. Even in such a short period of time, the transition from a high schooler living at home to a an independent college student has been extreme. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I sure would have a lot to say. The main thing I would want myself to know is that there is so much out there in the world and not to fret over the little things. While they may seem so large and important in the moment, the transition to college makes high school problems seem irrelevant. College has shown me that there are so many people and opportunities out there that will change your life. Looking ahead, staying focused, and creating goals will make you the person you want to be. I would want my high school self to know that it gets better and that college is just the beginning in shaping a whole new person and life.

Liarose

There is so much I would love to go back and tell my niave high school self. One of the biggest mistakes I made as a freshman was taking it all for granted. Keep yourself grounded and remember money isn't everything. No matter how tired you are or how boring the class is or how much you'd rather be doing x, y, and z: DO NOT SKIP CLASS! A little laziness in the moment is setting up problems for your future self. The biggest lesson I have learned throughout college that I wish younger me would have had a better understanding of is that happiness should come first and the money will follow. We work to live; not live to work. Take more time to prepare and organize yourself and stop procrastinating. Before you do anything weigh your actions aginst the concequences and ask yourself if this is something you'll regret in a year. But most of all, follow your passion and put that passion into everything you do; including loving and respecting yourself.

The advice I would give is to make sure you branch out and try to make as many new friends as you can within your first week of being on campus. I know it is very nerve wrecking to be placed in a completely new environment where you may or may not know very many people but overcoming that will be very beneficial. Some of the friends you make within the first week can be some that stick with you for the entire semester. Another bit of advice I would give is to make sure you make enough time for your studies. College is extremely expensive and you don't want to be wasting your parent's or your own money by doing poorly in your classes. My last bit of advice is to make your college experience one to remember. College is a privilage that unfortunately not every person gets to experience so you should take advantage of it, have fun, and be extremely grateful that you are able to get a good education.

I would advise going to the in-state college, since it is much cheaper, and much easier to procure funding for. I would also advise myself to open myself up more, to not let people control me as much.

Richelle

Take as many classes as you can in many different fields so you have plenty of opportunities to figure out what you want to do. Research the job outlook in fields you are interested in for after you graduate. Make sure you make plenty of connections and join school groups and study groups. Take help when you need it to maintain a high GPA, that always looks good. Work a part time job and save your money, you're going to need it!

Cara

I would make myself study much harder. My GPA was good, but it was mediocre for merit based schoarship consideration. I didn't try very hard my freshman year, which is the reason my overall GPA was only 3.3 at graduation. Like a lot of high school girls, I had the usual drama and let that get to me. My social life that meant everything to me then, means nothing to me now. It is a huge regret of mine. I wish I didn't care so much about what others thought about me; like if they thought I was weird because I needed to study rather than hang out that night. I let so many unnecessary things get in my way. Maybe if I just got a B in stead of a C in chemistry, I could have got a scholarship.

kuadjo

university of Nebraska lincoln is one of th best university in the United State with a good reputation. The university offers a variaty of programs: from science , Math, engineering, and so on. The campus disposes the most equiped library in the state. Almost each program of study has resources available for students in the library. What fascinated me the most is that the engineering departement has its own library available for all engineering students, it is the most fascinating aspect of that college. The computer lab is located on the second floor of the engineering department, it is so convinient. The university promote gender equality and high academic achievement. The campus dispose of a robust tutorial program to help students who struggle in their academic program. And they even provide classes of zero credit that help students to make a good transition and their transfer easier; these courses talk about the life on campus when and how to access resources and different types of organizations on the campus and how those organizations will help students with the campus life and after graduation. In conclusion at UNL, my transition was so great because of the ressources that are already there.

As a high school senior, my decision to attend UW-Madison to pursue a zoology degree was largely influenced by those around me. My older sister had graduated from UW with 3 degrees, and I felt as though I had to live up to her academic achievements to somehow “prove” myself to my family. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to remember that point of education is to help you meet your goals; it’s not about what looks good on paper or attempting to please others.I would tell myself that there isn’t one set educational path. And although it’s easy for others to point out the time and money “wasted” while you are soul searching and deciding what to do with the rest of your life, to remember to live without regret: the personal growth you experience while doing so cannot be measured in dollars and cents. Learning, inside and outside of the classroom, is never a waste. From where I am now, transferring to Madison College to pursue a degree in Veterinary Technology, I would confidently tell my 18-year-old self not to worry: everything will work out.

Caleb

I would tell my past self to seize each day. Do not nderestimate the importance of attending class or assignments that seem insignifcant at the time. I would tell myself not to waste time on people and situtations that will not matter in the long run and to use my time wisely because time is the only thing they do not make more of. I would tell myself to communicate and make freinds because college can be a rough place and having someone to lean on can make a significant difference.I would remind myself to take time to unwind and still enjoy my hobbies because we still need to have fun to keep ourselves sane. Most importantly do not leave anything for tommorow which can be done today because I have seen too many bright college students fail because they could not overcome procrastination. Never give up no matter how impossible it may seem, you will be suprised how much you can accomplish with a little ambition and determintation.

Celia

I transferred from what I thought was my dream school after my freshman year of college. The advice I would give myself is to really take the time to get to know each of the campuses you visit before making your decision. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the emotion and excitement of this time of your life, but you have to be practical as well. Small-town girls don't generally fare well in big cities! Take time to learn about yourself so you can really understand what you want out of your college experience. Over the last three years, I have grown so much. From changing schools to changing majors, your college career is what you make of it. Make sure the school you attend and what you are doing is really making you happy, because that is truly how you will gain the most from this life changing experience.

I would tell myself not to worry as much. If you believe in yourself you can do anything you set your mind to, and if you stay away from the wrong crowd, high school will be a breeze. You don't have to know what you want to do for the rest of your life, because you have time to decide. Everyone here is in the same place as you! Don't let yourself get bossed around, and don't procrastinate. I emphasize- Don't Procrastinate. Don't be lazy!

Elliot

If I could go back in time to High School I would tell myself to work hard and fininish on time. I would tell myself that you need to study and develop good study habits. Time management is important. Do not procrastinate, it gets you no where. I would also tell myself to start saving for college expenses. It is difficult to find to funds you need for tuition and books. I would tell myself to start applying for scholarships early. I did not find out about scholarships until after I started college. I would tell myself that college life is difficult. There is no time to party like you see in the movies. If you do party make sure you are responsible and have all you homework done first. There is a presure to get assignment done but you don't have parents looking over you shoulder to make sure it gets done. I would also tell myself to have fun. Make new friend and speak with your instructors. They are a valuable resorce for you while in college.

Cortnie

If I could go back in time I would tell my shelf to put more of an effort on looking at colleges, and scholarships then so I wouldn't have to be paying for it now. I would also tell myself that no everyhthing in life will be perfect but you need to move past that and believe that you can do anything you wanted no matter how hard it was or what otehr people told you.

Alyson

I would tell myself to do as much as I possibly can to get as many scholarships and grants that I can. You don't realize how helpful and needed that money is until it's too late. Any extra money is helpful even if it's a $200 scholarship, that could pay for your books. Also I would tell myself to get involved with something in school, extra curricular activities are fun and look great on a scholarship and resume which allow you to get even more money. Another thing would be not to wait til it's close to the deadline to submit an application, the sooner the better. There is tons of free money that is left unaccepted from the government.

andrea

The advice that i would give my high school self if i was to see myself back in that time would be you can do anything. since i always think that i can't do many things. So i would have to convince my self that i can do well in college and be sucessful in what i will do. My high school self probally won't believe me but i will try to explain why i need to try hard to be sucessful even if i think i will fail you must still try to be sucessful in life or else it won't be worth it in the end. Even if education might sometimes seem worthless it is worth having a education. Having a education will make you a better person in your life in the future. You might sometimes wonder if it will be worth it but you will never know until you complete it and start living the life that you should have. You should always have a way to think postive about life and everything you come across even if it might seem hard to think postivie about but you will do better in life.

Adrian

Go to a community college first and take the intro classes online. Take a full time job and also work for the company One 24 and Vitel Wireless (both online programs) and you will be super well financially all the while completing the crap school requirements. No necessity to complete scholarships where many times you feel pressured to exaggerate and describe your feelings about school as if things were roses and chocolates.

Alice

If I could go back in time and give some advice to my old high school self, it would be to try harder and to study more. I never knew how much of an impact high school could be on college. I didn't think that it would help and that it was a waste of time. Once I got to college, I saw how much harder classes were and I wasn't prepared for that transition. Grades are mostly based on tests in college, so time spent out of class should be for studying and doing the optional homework to get you prepared for them. If you have any questions, you need to go in and ask the teacher for help. That's what they are there for and they want to see you succeed.

Make every class count, whatever you do not accomlish in high school you have to take in college. Take every class seriously and never give up. The higher your grade point average the easier it is to get into a school, make sure to try every sport and get involved in extra cirricular activities. Make yourself look amazing to colleges and apply to as many as you can. Do not forget to apply for scholarships! There is no harm in trying and it is free money! College is way different than high school, do not let the thought of teachers never taking attendence push you into not showing up for class, every class counts. Talk to everyone, people on campus, students in your class and even your teachers. If you are ever having trouble get a tutor, never be afraid to ask for help and ask questions. College is great experience so work hard and do not be afraid to study abroad. Good Luck!

My high school career was a mysterious road and I was usually unsure as to what paths I wanted to take. I was a fan of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, and so I was excited to become a forensic scientist and that was the path I went down. However, I had a deep passion for music, and still do, I played the alto saxophone and was in choir all four years. Looking back now after my first year of college, if I could, I would tell my past self in high school to seriously weigh my options with forensic science and if I truly wanted to do that as a career for the rest of my life. Taking college chemitry, even though it was the same chemestry I had in AP Chemistry, it was still hard. However, I am much better when it comes to music and music theory. I wish I could have told myself to be more proactive in music from my freshman year. Even taking up another instrument besides the alto saxophone. If I had followed the music path it may have even resulted in more scholarship opportunities. Regardles I will continue on the forensic science path.

Garretkay

If I were given the chance to go back in time and talk to my high school self there would be many things that I would say. One of the first things that I would say it to figure out your interests and ask yourself the big question of “What is it that you like so much that you could see yourself doing it for a long time and being happy with it?” Then after answering that question narrowing down the fields that those interests lie then finding the schools that are known for or at least having those programs. I would also encourage myself to seek out classes or course on how to better communicate with others and learning about what to ask. So many thing s I realize now that if I had known the proper questions to ask, or even what I should be looking for then the people around me could have made things easier for down the road. The skill could also be useful because it would allowed me to be have a better experience from enjoying the friends and people that I had around me. Lastly to say to not be afraid of opportunities

There isn’t much I can tell you that you don’t already know about college, since you’ve just completed two college courses, except about online classes. Stay away from them. They won’t help you; save yourself the time, money, effort, and tears. In case you don’t listen, it is okay to have to take a class again; it is not the end of the world. You'll be going through some really trying times, but you’ll grow into someone that you’ll admire. Strong and interesting people are out there, take the time to get to know them; take a breath and enjoy. Go have fun! Laugh, play, the work and your responsibilities can and will wait. It will be easier to carry after the breaks. Don’t give up on yourself; strangers believe in you- if they can, you can too. I know that everyone has been saying “The sky is the limit,” well girl, they’re wrong, you are the limit. Whatever you decided to do, it is within your reach; nothing is a too farfetched fantasy dream. Don’t be afraid to be the pioneer of your own life.

I would tell myself: "Try to get more involved with high school activities. You will never get this experience back and you want to make the most of it. You're doing a great job on school work but try to find more classes that apply to what you want to pursue in life. I know you are unsure right now of what you really want to do, and it can be scary to determine something that will last the rest of your life, but just think about what you really love. You will figure it out! Don't be afraid of change and putting yourself out there! You can do this! Push your fears away, and just conquer. You can do this!

Jack

Dont be afraid to be yourself because there are so many different people that you will meet that will accept you for who you are. dont be afraid to ask to join a group, if its a club or just some people playing basketball. Even though college can be stressfull at sometimes never let it get to you because there will always be someone that can help you as long as you ask. Never judge someone by something your heard. make your own opinion about each person and make sure to give everyone a fair chance. No matter what anyone says its how you think about yourself that will effect you the most. No matter how much you study there will be questions you dont know the answer to and that is fine. Above all enjoy college to the fullest, because college is where you are free to be yourself and college is where you will decide what your future will hold instore for you!

moe

I am a high school student, and i should choose chemistry as my major in that subject which I believe is a requirement for entering in dentistry. I like to be a dentist, to help others and to improve the quality of life in the society around me.

Danielle, Senior year is supposed to be one of the best years of your life: football games, prom, college acceptance letters, and of course, graduation! Unfortunately, that’s not the case for you. You have a job, are settled on community college, are without a support system, and are unsure about yourself. It’s a difficult time, but let me give you some advice to prepare you for the upcoming years: -Worry less about your part-time job. The money you earn doesn’t amount to the satisfaction received from doing well and being involved. Focus your time and efforts on school and extracurricular activities that you love. -STOP PROCRASTINATING! Many opportunities will be missed due to your lack of motivation and laziness. -Your family won't support your educational goals at first. Accept it, but don’t let it stop you. Once they see what you’re capable of, I promise they’ll come around. -Most importantly, believe in the person you are; sometimes that’s all you’re going to have. Remember, life isn’t about what you learn in the classroom, but what you learn about yourself along the way. Stay strong and don’t give up!

I would tell myself as hard as it is to go back to school at age 24; I wouldnt of done it any different. I wish I wouldnt of taken my education for granted like i did but i wouldnt trade all the expeirences to got to have by waiting to figure out what i wanted to do with my life.

Simply put, I would told myself to relax. I would have taken more classes and explored other avenues of learning opportunities to better prepare myself for real-life experiences. I would have stayed in school longer and completed higher education as oppose to being too eager to enter the workforce so quickly. I have my whole life to work and would have been more patient with completing my education in order to have enjoyed life more. I would also have applied for more scholarships as oppose to accruing financial debt that will stick with me until retirement. I also would have been more involved in extracurricular activities, as this would have made the university experience more enjoyable and made me a more rounded person. Lastly, I would have lived on campus at least one year to obtain experiences I cannot get anywhere else.

Mikayla

Your funds are not limitless, and it takes less time to lose them than to earn them. Put your classes first. This is the best way to pay for your education, because the largest scholarship you have earned will be taken away if your GPA dips below a 3.5. At this point you are likely stunned to think that your future self would put such value on money and grades, when after twelve years of striving for the best grades, you have decided to stop earning and start learning. Now I am going to tell you you need to do both, but you do not need to learn everything. Take classes that impact you and your future in visible ways. If you cannot see how a class will make you better at being the person and professional you want to be, drop it like a white hot poker, quickly and carefully. Though it is easier to see how your extracurriculars help others and make you better, you can't give them precedence over your classes. You do not have that kind of money, so actively try to make your classes into what you want them to be.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to remove the blinders. I went to college with a very fixed idea of what I wanted to do and what I wanted to major in. Yet I found that fixed path a limitation in both my academics and activities. Originally, I wanted to be an environmental studies major, but during my junior year I discovered that I enjoyed biology work even more. So I switched my major but that is resulting in my having to take an extra semester in order to complete the graduation requirements. A fixed path also blinded me to many opportunities. My goal in going to St. Lawrence University was to create a more sustainable society or at least learn how to do so. Yet to get on the Environmental Council I had to join the student government, and for my first three years I refused to do so. When I was finally convinced to apply for Environmental Chair, I found that I enjoyed it. If I could tell my younger self one thing it would be to accept opportunities even if they were not in my original plan.

I would tell myself as a high school senior to practice self-discipline. Discipline is a very important virtue to learn during your high school years because when you get to college your teachers are not going to explain things in detail for you or continuously remind you of assignments. In college each student must be self sufficient and learn how to complete assignments with little instruction. Once in college you will be faced with many difficult choices and it takes discipline to make the right choice. Ultimately I think it is important for high school students to understand that once you get into college your education is completely in your hands. You decide whether or not you are going to succeed because you are the one that makes the everyday choices like whether or not to go to class or complete homework. Do not take anything for granite and make sure to treasure good instruction. Also, I would tell myself to never let one bad grade get me down! The best thing to do is discuss how to improve your next grade with your professor and then heed their advice and make it happen. You choose to succeed.