University of Nevada-Las Vegas Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Nevada-Las Vegas

Christyn

Though I haven't physically been to UNLV yet, I have taken a virtual campus tour. I am happy to say that I will be attending UNLV this coming school year in the fall of 2021. The school provides many resources for the students and the staff is very supportive and helpful especially during this COVID period. I am truly proud to say that I will be a Rebel!

Caterina

I love UNLV, one of the best parts is how diverse the school is. There’s so many different people here, you’ll find the place you belong. If you want to wear pjs to class there’ll be someone who wears them to, if you want to dress your best there’ll be someone dressed their best to, there’s always a place for you.

Amyla

UNLV is the dream college that everyone wants to go to when they are younger. The campus is beautiful and there is a lot of school spirit in the city. The academics are good and there is a lot of opportunities from my understanding and I'm so excited I got Accepted.

Gina

I really like UNLV despite some outsider opinions. People who go to UNLV know it's a quality school and people who don't go there will say negative things. But it's a diverse school with critically acclaimed programs. The program I'm in is nationally unique. The campus itself is nice and has many helpful resources and cool facilities. I always felt right at home at UNLV.

Genesis

I am overall unhappy with the education I'm receiving. I especially do not feel like they are preparing me for a career in the path I want to go into, Animation. However, when it comes to offering facilities to students, such as computer labs or libraries, the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, or UNLV, succeeds in giving students access to these facilities for their success. It's a mixed bag when it comes to UNLV; they certainly have areas in which they can improve but aren't the worst college that I've attended.

Jaed

If you want a great education in a safe and fun environment choose UNLV. This school has been the best thing to happen to me. There are so many opportunities for everyone. It is laid back chill here, there is also a lot of administration that is willing to help you whenever you have a problem.

Joseph

The University of Nevada, Las Vegas is often overlooked due to being in the shadows of the more notable nightlife. The University is nothing too fancy, but fancy does not necessarily mean good as far as a University goes. The University of Nevada Las Vegas has much to offer. There are many resources that students may utilize to better their education, great professors who are willing to assist every student, and many extra curricular activities students may partake in when not stuffing their faces in books. Overall the University of Nevada Las Vegas is a good place to get a college education with many outlets after graduation.

Unique

UNLV is a pretty good school because of the wide variety of things that the city itself has to offer. I've always had pretty good professors at the school and the library is beautiful. There is a ton of restaurants around campus and on campus with pretty good food.

Alejandra

UNLV offers the best facilities to its students. I had a few problems with my laptop meanwhile taking an online exam and the IT help desk was able to resolve my problems, they even help out off campus. UNLV also offers a lot of tutoring for most of the courses.

Haley

I've wanted to live in Las Vegas ever since I was eight years old, and I immediately fell in love with UNLV from the moment I visited their website. They have a beautiful campus, and the staff and students seem extremely friendly and open to new ideas and people.

Janiyah

The University of Nevada-Las Vegas is very comforting at times. The staff and most students are very welcoming and interesting to be around. Although, it is my first year here, I am learning more from the diverse environment everyday, which is making a big difference in my life right now and for the future to come.

I really like that teachers are always willing to help the student achieve success. They often hold office hours, and if one is not able to make it, they will work to meet you at any time. The students here are very open minded and fun. This college is one of the most diverse in the country so there are a ton of opportunities and clubs for every person. The food herein the SU is really great and the location, although in the middle of the city, is still great.

Elisa

Unlv is a good school since students make you feel welcomed. There is so many services such as tutoring, the advisers are accessible. There is a gym, a nutritionist that can help with your diet and even massage chairs. The professors respect the students and are very knowledgeable.

Valery

The University of Nevada-Las Vegas is something that many people try to apply to for it's cultural diversity and for it's expense And although it may be cheap many can agree that it's certainly worth more than it's own self-proclaimed value. It's a school that prides itself on education and life outside of it. Overall, a great school to be at.

James Benedict

UNLV is a diverse school and it is good value for the money you pay. Most students are from in state so they already know each other. Location is not great especially if you live off-campus. I recommend going to the strip when bored with all the shows available.

Briana

I love University of Nevada – Las Vegas! I think it was a great fit for me and everything I was looking for as far as distance to home, class size, and extracurricular activities. I did not live on campus but a friend of mine did and the dorms were quite comfortable. I ate in the common dining area once since it is only for on-campus living students and the food was fine but our Student Union area offers a diverse set of meal options from sushi to Italian or even a simple McDonald's meal. There is an abundance of activities to do on campus, not just sorority or fraternity related events but live music concerts, art shows, and even political and environmental involvement. And if you are ever looking for off-campus activities, such as shopping at major outlets or even some night-life fun, the University sits perfectly close to the Strip; no more than a 10-15 minute Uber or Lyft ride. Everyone, including the professors, are incredibly compassionate and self-driven. It truly feels as if everyone is rooting for you to succeed. There are a plethora of resources and opportunities as long as you are willing to apply yourself. The University counselors and advisers were extremely insightful in helping me hone in on my passions and helping me apply to various internship opportunities, which in turn, became my current long-term career. With their endless support, advice, and guidance I continuously feel like I have a forever team. I am currently still in communication with various professors who have been helpful with my search for a graduate program and it is always nice to have a professional in the field in which you would like to pursue provide you with readily available advice or guidance.

Madeleine

The University of Nevada, Las Vegas is a large campus that is very diverse. There are some people you are able to connect with and create great friendships. I was expecting everyone to be mean but it is the opposite. Yes, there are rude people but the nice classmates I have interacted with surely do makeup for them.

Abrianna

My overall opinion of University of Nevada Las Vegas is that the classes are a great size, and the objectives are always clear. Our student body works hard to keep students updated on all campus activity. This university has a great gym, and lots of sports to participate in. There is also lots of clubs, so there are activities for everyone to enjoy.

Sedona

The University of Nevada, Las Vegas is the perfect commuter school and it allows for the out of state "college experience" if wanted. However, in my opinion the on-campus housing life was not what I expected. The dorms are out of date and doing laundry is a complete hassle. One thing that is new is, they are upgrading the on-campus apartments which will be a step up from the dorms. I will say, though, the food is great if you have the late night munchies but definitely not for someone looking to stay in good health. Although the on-campus housing is not the best, commuting to campus is great. You get all the perks of the UNLV without having to be there twenty-four seven. It is nice having access to a library and gym with flexible hours, especially when finals roll around. There are, also, plenty of activities sponsored by different clubs on campus. One of the greatest events they have is speed friending, it is like speed dating but for friends. I know it sounds lame but it was a good opportunity for someone like me, who went off to college knowing no one, to make friends and I did. Not to mention, there is rebel rise at the beginning of each school year to welcome in new students. It is a fun event that never gets old. UNLV is a school for someone looking to get away from home and still be in a metropolitan area with lots to do just miles away from campus.

Brooke

I am a freshman at UNLV and am thoroughly enjoying my time on and around campus. It is a great campus with plenty of activities and nearby things to do. I love my classes and my professors are wonderful. I have made new friends and feel very comfortable there. I have had no issues or problems while on campus and I feel very safe there. I would recommend UNLV to anyone looking for a great campus to attend.

Karla

It's an adventure to try

Jorge

It is a great university for diversity. The campus is big, but you'll find your way around easily. Classes, teachers, and student all very lively around the campus. Unlimited support from your advisors and teachers from personal and academic goals. Very clean and dynamic university.

Tamia

The University of Nevada-Las Vegas is known for a variety of factors; however I love the campus simply for its diversity and atmosphere. There is always something exciting happening on campus every week and the faculty ensures students feel involved.

destiny

The university of Nevada - Las Vegas is an amazing school to attend. We have the second most diverse population of students in the country. Our campus is very innovative with new aritechture and top of the line libraries, colleges,and recreational faciltites. this campus is also very safe we have our own campus police and emergency phones located all around. the class sizes are smaller than what i expected. the teachers all care a lot about what they teach even in general classes. this is the best college in nevada

Anika

This campus size seems so big due to the large number of student that attend and live on campus. In actuality, the community of the students is so small. Everybody know everybody within such communities which can be beneficial in some aspects. UNLV is known for its diversity throughout campus as well as around the city which gives people a chance to connect with others and meet new people on a daily basis. A small community is another way for people to know your name and who you are which can be a good or bad thing by the way you display yourself. It's simply up to you and how you want to take advantage of such a large campus with small communities.

Joanna

I love this school, honestly. The only thing that is a bummer is that my parents are so far away. But the university is so small that I can walk from one side to the other in 15 minutes. I don't have to cross and major streets, or any streets at all, to get to my class when I'm on campus so I really like that. The program I am in, athletic training, is so welcoming and I feel like I have a family in my program and I cannot wait to spend the next two years learning how to be an excellent athletic trainer along side my fellow students.

chloe

UNLV Is a great school, of course it has it's faults though. Every university does. But, it's given me an opportunity to join clubs and Greek life. I made every lasting bonds with people and have a support group around me. The library is a blessing where I can get comfy and just study. Some teachers don't prioritize students outside life, going to school is hard while working or being in an organization. College's should understand that. Sometimes teachers will pack on unnecessary stress, I believe there should be more intellectual conversations and assignments at hand. But overall, the university is pretty good, here and there are problems but you'll get that with any college.

Fatima

I love my university! Personally, I am an introverted person so I tend to keep to myself, which is why I love this university. The library is amazing! It is what you want it to be: a study lounge, a place to eat lunch, a gaming area, or a general relaxation zone. Every other facility is also very nice and clean. The university is not perfect of course, since the location is inconvenient due to the homeless problem in the area. That being said, I feel like introverts are allowed to flourish and prosper on their own in peace.

Karina

UNLV is unique, as there is always something to keep students busy and entertained on campus. Sports and clubs a huge role in the community, as there several options for those wanting to get integrated into the scarlet and gray community. If one can not join a club or sport for financial reasons, UNLV can help! There are several individuals that offer scholarships to dedicated students and plenty of on-campus jobs available that easily adjust to every students' needs. There is always someone to talk to, as the staff is very friendly wherever one goes and it is easy to communicate with professors to discuss any matter. Diversity is a strong point at UNLV, as the students and staff are so different and so unique, showing that we are a strong community of rebels that accept our differences and work together to get stuff done. UNLV does have room for improvement, as many of the classes are loaded with students, making the teaching experience a little difficult with a busy schedule. With the huge student load, classes get full very quickly, making it extremely tedious to make a reasonable schedule with all of one's desired classes. Lastly, many classrooms and buildings are outdated. Overall, UNLV is a great school to attend, though there are some improvements that should be done to make an already great school even better.

Maggie

UNLV is a great school despite what might be said about it just because it is seen as a more local and "easier" school compared to others that are in other states. It is surprisingly providing the college experience I never thought I would get because I came to UNLV and I am an in state residential student.

Lillian

It is a generally positive and receptive learning environment. There's a lot of walking involved on campus, but this is off-set by the fact that there are is a well supported variety of classes, buildings, and activities throughout the property. The professors here are, for the most part, high quality. Although UNLV has its share of rude and unhelpful teachers, every school does.

Renata

I love my school, but it needs ALOT of work. For starters they need to stop spending money on dumb things like new flags and posters, and give it to the students. We need it more than making the school look better. The staff can also be a lot more helpful. They don't really do much unless it benefits them.

Chantelle

It is a very diverse place with many courses, activities, and clubs to offer. Students and professors are very friendly and approachable. There are many clubs, fraternities, and sororities that go out and try to reach out to potential new members. They are very friendly and proactive. You are sure to find your own niche when you come here.

Kmae

I've been attending UNLV for three years now and overall I am not too happy about my experience. Don't get me wrong, I've met some of my best friends up here but that's like any other college. First, let's look at academics. I've had a 50/50 experience with professors. Some are passionate about their course and its transparent that they want their students to succeed. On the other hand, some professors are very troubling. There are a handful of professors who's first language isn't English so it's extremely difficult to understand them. Furthermore, the courses are challenging, which isn't a bad thing but I do believe the standards are quite absurd. For example, UNLV's Nursing Program (I'm sure with other programs but I'm just speaking for my part) is extremely competitive. Out of the HUNDREDS of students applying, FOURTY-EIGHT are accepted per semester. They require a minimum of B (not even a B- and yes they give out B-'s) on prerequisites, but really they want you to get an A. So basically a handful of students are spending thousands of dollars just to retake a class in which they got a B in just to get an A. Oh! Las Vegas has a shortage of nurses yet they make rob equal opportunity into the program. Now, let's go onto housing. All three years I've lived on campus. Probably the worst experience I've encountered. Housing is nearly 5k with a 7k non-resident fee. With that amount of money you'd expect the housing to be excellent, right? It's not. Yes living on campus is very convenient. But I've had so many issues with the quality. My room was flooded from the rain and since I was on the first floor I was getting everything. When I tried to call maintenance to repair the issue, all they did was clean the pool in room. So I asked if they could FIX IT but their facility just left. It took them THREE DAYS to fix the problem. Turns out the pipes on the roof weren't aligned and so water was falling through it. Their meal plans are quite expensive for food that aren't even great. They usually serve the food but they will only put one or two pieces of meat or whatever it is on your plate. And if you ask for more, they'll usually tell you no and to just come back - but what about for those trying to bring food home to eat in to-go boxes? Exactly. They are very stingy with their servings also the quality is alright. Sometimes the menu sounds good but you can tell it was an half-effort kind of thing. The university claims to be a "diverse" university and yes, many students from different points of the country attend UNLV. However, they only stick to their own group and rarely ever branch out. In addition, the campus overall is not safe. It is important to never walk alone at night. The campus becomes very dark and anyone has access to campus - not just students, literally anyone; considering the area it's in. UNLV is not a college town, although I wish it was. It's not in the best neighborhood, which I believe is the worst thing for my experience. I came here from a different state just to feel unsafe? There have been multiple incidents on campus so their security system is terrible. There are emergency poles and you will see cops roaming sometimes but really they don't do anything unless something has been reported. You could be a serial killer roaming on campus and the cops could mistaken you as a student. So overall, I didn't really like my experience here at UNLV. Please do your research before attending. Ask questions of past or current students for advice and thoughts.

Krista

UNLV is a diverse place where people meet someone who has a different culture compared to them. Whoever you meet, no matter what you always feel welcome by both student council, students, and professors as well. As for the academics, they may be stressful for students, but UNLV comes up with events for students to learn how to relax and maintain their stress. While UNLV makes us focus on our academics, they also focus on the fun ways a student can have when it comes to their college experiences. UNLV lets a student learn about different cultures and still enjoy their hobbies while aiming for the degree/career they are going for.

Talicia

I enjoy the environment I endure when I walk onto the UNLV campus. My professors are straight forward without scaring the freshman away. The content is rigorous but nothing a dedicated student cannot handle. I am glad to say I chose to pursue college right out of high school.

My overall opinion of university of Nevada Las Vegas is great, the school has a lot of diversity. There is a lot of activity that allows students from different high schools to come and visit the school. The school also shows people different kinds of clubs to see.

Cassandra

UNLV is a miniature community full of concern and tools to help each individual succeed on their paths to becoming well-rounded adults in society.

This university is fantastic and there's always a club or something to join here. No one is left out, we have very geeky clubs to honor societies and everyone has a place to feel safe. My only complaint is that I wish they offered more classes for certain courses that are requirement for certain majors. I feel as if they could offer more classes/sections and this school could get a 5 star from me. Other than that this university is fantastic!

Diana

Overall, my experience at UNLV has been an eye opening experience. Going to a college like this allowed me to see many different backgrounds and people with a unique story. I've become more humble as a person and I have more compassion and empathy towards all kinds of people. I also am able to network and meet new people who can help me and my goal to start a business of my own one day. Knowing that UNLV is located in a city with the best hospitality experience, you know it will be strong in the business and hospitality industry which is what I have a huge passion for.

Daisy

It's my first semester here and i'm loving it! I grew up in Vegas and i was planning on moving out of state to get away, however, in-state tuition does good for my bank account. UNLV is very diverse and that is a quality not many universities have. We have tons of foreign students from Asia and it made me feel more at home because I am half Asian. I don't feel out of place at all! There's something here for everyone! All the professors are accessible and here for you! They all want you to pass your classes and will help you with anything you need. The football and basketball games are very "lit". Home games are the best! Everybody wears their UNLV gear to cheer on our athletes. I would most definitely recommend MY university to my friends, family, and even strangers! UNLV is love. Go Rebels!

Gwyneth Nicole

It is a very lively school. There are lots of people from different cultures and countries and mostly everyone is social so every day you get to meet someone new. Some classes may be reading intensive which kind of sucks but you are reminded that it only lasts one semester and it is necessary to graduate in your decided major.

Haelie

UNLV is a great place to learn, experience and find new things. From diverse cultures, to great academics and an engaging greek life UNLV is a great big family. Academics is huge here you are pushed to donor best and accomplish your goals. The professors here will help you achieve it all!

Gabrielle

University of Nevada Las Vegas often reminds me of the last fry on the bottom of the bag that you didn't expect to be there and you eat it and love it. As a Las Vegas native, it wasn't very exciting for me to think about going to UNLV. I wanted the college experience of moving out of the house and making new friends. UNLV was the last fry that you didn't expect. After choosing to pick up that fry, I tried it and was delighted with the last minute surprise. UNLV is a diverse school that allows me to express myself and have a fun college experience. I love UNLV!

mariah

This is my first year at UNLV and it has been a great experience. There is always clubs looking to recuit people so there are tons of options. There are a bunch of fast food places on campus or within a block so food isn't a problem. I applied for a campus job during the first week and was hired by the end of the week, lots of opportunities to work on campus. UNLV is right near the strip, so it is extremely easy to find something new to do.

Christopher

Improvement starts with you.

I really enjoy the school, I believe that the academics can be improved upon but I think they are really working to become a better school. The buildings they have are already incredible, and they keep working to improve their older buildings. They also have been putting a lot of money into sports, which is a major funder of universities. I'm sure they will improve in the future.

Chanon

This is a commuter school, most people don't live on campus. Greek life is big here, many people choose to join one. Class sizes are decent and honestly, teachers do care for their students and want you to succeed. The surrounding area is nice as well, many places to eat when on a break.

Brandii

It is generally a mellow and easily accessible school to attend. Low tuition. Although it is a sort of pull of straws university. You pick your classes and hope to have one of the better, more interactive professors for your sake of learning. If there is no luck then you get stuck with someone you can't understand and they don't care. On the other hand UNLV is a easy school to navigate and offers a lot of opportunity for activities and growth and can potentially give you the whole college experience

UNLV is a very diverse school, which is comforting at times because the university feels all-inclusive. There is never a shortage of resources as there are always plenty of people to help if you ever need it. I do want to mention that when dealing with financial aid at this school, it can be very difficult and trying at times. Despite that, the students are typically open-minded and often you get a professor that has a great personality. The gym at UNLV is definitely not something to gloss over, either. It’s has workout equipment, workout machines, personal trainers, and group workout classes. They also have a lap pool, leisure pool, and a hot tub. Definitely recommend, especially if you’re an in-state student.