University of Nevada-Reno Top Questions

Tristanne

I think the worst thing about this school is how much the students focus on partying rather than studying and doing well in school. I understand that it's college and people go crazy but I am a Christian and it's hard for me to connect with the majority of the students here because all they want to do is party and I would rather go to a movie or hang out. It's the thing I don't like the most because it is hard for me to make friends and have that goood college experience.

Lawton

I don’t think there is a “worst” thing about my school but if I have to pick something it would be that they don’t offer enough summer classes. That being said, they do offer a fair amount but I’m running out of classes to take that I actually need to graduate. The ones they do offer I have already taken or won’t be able to enroll in because I’m junior status and not senior. I know teachers need a summer too but I want to learn!

It's a big school. It's tough learning where everything is and who to seek help from in terms of advisers. But everyone is very helpful and friendly enough to point individuals in the right direction to obtain the aid they need.

The class sizes- they are very large, I put the effort in to get to know the professors but it can be hard to learn in class sometimes.

Zoee

The worst thing would have to be the campus itself. It is very spread out and involves a lot of walking.

Monique

In my school, there are many people to contact, each of them is for different administrations. Just like any other school, they try to help out all of the students as much as they can, but with so many of us, its hard to help us all. So it is up to us to help ourselves, just like its a huge buffet of all these different options. With enough research and evaluation, you can find the right people to talk to and the right questions to ask them, a lot is acomplished within a few scheduled meetings. It works out.

ryan

In short, The University of Nevada, Reno can be considered a party school, to worsen the situation the surrounding area can very easily be consider far worse. Distraction from the pursuit of higher learning

Vicki

Some professors/employers have no loyalty to their staff and students; and employ individuals who have a history of sexual harrassament at facilities, putting staff at risk.

Natasha

The worst thing about my school would probably be the fact that most students think that they have to drink in order to have a good time. Certain people don't think others are cool unless they drink. Football games are often viewed by people who drink alcohol.In recent years a few changes have been made, such as a hotline that people can call to report rowdy behavior due to alcohol at footbal games. There is an alcohol counseling center at UNR, but very few people use it because they don't think they have a drinking problem.

Lane

The worst thing about UNR was the dead of winter when it snowed. The snow was beautiful but walking through a hilly campus with snow and ice was terrifying!

The worst thing that I have noticed this semester as well as the end of last semester was the new construction. Although I understand that it is necessary to change and improve the school it does seem to distract my learning a little bit.

The parking on campus is insanely expensive and none of it is even relatively close to any classes. There are several places to park but all are far away from classes. Also, if you do want to park in a place that is somewhat close to some of your classes it is extremely expensive.

K

The University of Nevada, Reno residential life, housing, and food service department has not been fair in its practices. I told the office over the phone that I had a family emergency where my sister had a roommate suddenly leave and she couldn't afford to live there without me moving in since the aforementioned roommate was paying for half of everything. The office informed me that I would not be refunded my $125 deposit and that I would owe 25{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the $2635 charge for the semester in the dorm, which means I'll lose $783.75.

All parking is at the far north side of campus while the classrooms are at the south side of campus, making it a long walk to get to each class.

There are over seventeen thousand students currently enrolled at the University of Nevada, Reno. This can make some class sizes very large, which makes one on one time with the professor harder to come across. With motivation and determination, however, passing any class is possible.

Jeannette

I wouldn’t say there is a “worst thing” about my alma mater. I will say every school has initiatives they are working to improve, or challenges they are over-coming. One challenge for me was being part of a very small group of Black/African American students attending a Predominantly White Institution (PWI). You don’t know what you don’t know and I think in some ways the school wasn’t sure how to support me or provide what I needed to be successful. The responsibility was on us both to make campus a more welcoming, inclusive place.

The worst things about my school are all things that are shared by all colleges, such as high textbook costs. The worst UNR-specific thing is the terrible wifi in the Living Learning Community Dorm, for obvious reasons. To sidestep this problem, use a few dollars to buy an ethernet cable from the store. You will be very glad you did.

Jazmin

The worst thing about my school would be the community bathrooms at the Manzanita Hall. Everyone needs to have more privacy and its not the same as doing your bussiness comfortably at your own place. Sometimes you have to wait for others too long and it can be unhygienic when it comes to showering. The floor in the shower room has so many footprints of students before and you dont know how regularly they clean up the bathrooms. If there is a choice, I would reccommend for students to try their best to get a dorm with a private bathroom.

The worst thing about my school is the amount of books needed for every class. Although most of the books are very helpful in my understanding, the price of each book takes a toll out of my financial aid. I am also a Biochemistry major and therefore required to buy these textbooks that allow you to access online assignments due every night. In addition, I can only afford a few of these books but my fellow classmates are usually there to help me succeed by giving me insight on the next assignments and incoming reviews.

Justine

Lack of funding so there were some programs that were cancelled.

Angelica

There's nothing that I can really think of when it comes to 'worst things.' Sometimes, the classes could be more engaging or interesting. There are certain classes that are required that I wish that we didn't have to take. But other than that, I have no problems with my college.

daniel

Parking is way to far from most of my classes.

The lack of a competitive basketball team. I wish I could support someone all out during March Madness.

It's a very research and sports related school. Sometimes the professors are mostly there for research and may not know how to make the material they are trying to teach fully understandable, or they think that the students have to be up to there level. For the sports, football is a huge part of UNR and a part of the budget is just for sports and football gets a big portion, if it's labeled for sports I think there should be more sports avaliable like men's soccer or others, shaving some of footballs budget may help.

The worst thing about my school is that it is cold in the winter and the campus is outdoors. When you go into classrooms, it tends to feel very warm from coming out of the cold.

corinne

I can not really say that there is a bad thing about the university I go to I think if i could fix something it could be that everyone who cannot afford school should have some sort of help payment wise other than financial aid.

Alix

The cafeteria that is called the Downunder Cafe is probably the worst thing at the University of Nevada - Reno. Though the people that work in the cafe put a lot of time and effort into creating our meals and cleaning up after all of the students, the food itself creates havoc on most students' stomachs. Its not that the food tastes bad or anything, it's just that as students, our digestive systems malfunction when it comes to the food and can not really process it.

Reno offers a very small list of things to do outside of school. If we need to go the mall, we would have to drive for perhaps twenty or so minutes to get there. Nightlife is limited for 18 - 20 year-olds. And although we are indeed here for education first, I feel that it is important for young people to have options as to where they can let off steam after a long week of school. The experience overall, however, is truly what you make of it; when there's a will, theres's a way to have fun.

The lack of support to fund art programs including dance and theatre.

There isn't too much to complain about at the University of Nevada-Reno. However, I am not thrilled about the close proximity of Reno's downtown because it can be very distracting and irritating to be so near shady communities. But over time, it's easy to know where to go and where to stay away from, so it's not a large issue.

On certain days the gym can be overcrowed making it hard to workout and get your mind away from stressfull things.

Maataua

I would say that the thing that I dislike the most about my school is that there are so many undergraduate students. Granted it is a university, coming from a small town, I'm just not used to the fact that I have lectures with 200 maybe 300 students, so that was definitely something that I had to get used to.

Cecilia

At this point, I am very satisfied with everything at this school. The staff and the students are very friendly, and reliable, so I have no complaints.

The worst thing about my school is that it is next to downtown where all of the casinos are, so sometimes it isn't a very safe neighborhood at night. Being that there are a lot of homeless people wandering downtown at night there have been a few occasions where they wander onto campus and sometimes cause or scene. So it makes campus a little scary to walk around, especially at night.

I would consider the worst thing about my school, The University of Nevada, Reno, to be the fact that it snows and the students are forced to walk to classes in the bad weather.

Occassional politics of the administration and the cost to the education/classes.

Tuition is the worst thing at UNR. A class is about two hundred dollars per credit. That's highly expensive. My tuition for the fall semester is a little over three grand. Plus books are expensive. I think this is the worst thing at UNR because not everybody can afford to go to school. Although you can apply for scholarships, grants, and loans. Some people aren't legible for those avenues of obtaining money for school. Some people have to go to school part-time because it is expensive.

My frustrations with my school do not run very deeply. On one hand, I am disappointed with the typically lackluster school spirit, but during major events and accomplishments the student body has not failed to meet my expectations. I also find the academic advisors to be unhelpful, but the resources available to students make it pretty easy to navigate your way through college. I am also a bit disappointed with the quality of the Greek Life on this campus and wish my fellow greeks would hold themselves to higher standards. However, all in all, the school is improving.

Cooper

It took me a while to think of it because there really aren't that many bad things about my school, that's why I go here. But, the worst thing about my school is the food distributed for the dorm-living students. It just isn't that great of quality food. You never really leave the cafeteria feeling like you just did something great for yourself. Other than that. I love it.

The University of Nevada, Reno is in the worst part of Reno. There have been many problems with shootings, stabbings, and other problems.

Bailey

The worst possible thing that I can think of regarding my school is that the cafeteria is not my favorite place to eat on campus. Besides that I have no complaints about the University of Nevada-Reno.

The worst thing about my school is the parking. There does not seem like there is enough parking for all of the students, and the layout is very inconvient for students.

Travis

This isn't a knock on the school, but I don't really care for the surrounding city of Reno. I really enjoy the campus though.

Chiara

The worst thing about this school honestly is parking. Passes are ridiculously expensive and are still inconvenient for what you pay.

The only thing I have encountered that has been unpleasant at the school are some of the older teachers. They aren't nice when you try to talk about cetain things to them and they don't give you second chances even if there is a legitament reason for doing something; lets say if you miss class but you have a note or it was a family emergency they dont care.

A lot of our budget is being cut so we're losing big departments and major student-academic-oriented centers. With the budget being cut, our tuition is increasing. As a community, we're losing a lot of the necessary parts of a university, like tutoring centers. I think that if we had more of a budget, or if less was being cut, we would be a better university. Also because our budget is being cut and our tuition is being raised, we've lost a good sense of community.

The area surrounding the campus. It's not completely safe, in fact it's actually in one of the worse parts of Reno, despite the actualy university being quite nice.

The worst thing for UNR is their online support both for signing up for classes as well as for the online campus. If you are in a situation like I was this past winter where you are out of town and trying to sign up for classes but there is a problem with your username/password it is very hard to get help. It took weeks of constant attempts in order to get someone that could actually assist me in aloowing me access to class regstration. By the time I finally got access, many of the classes were already full.

nathan

I suppose the worst about my school is the administration part of applying for classes and financial aid and scholarships. It feels like a maze of paperwork and phone calls to do the simplest things, and it is very frustrating. Every semester I go through this big confusing mess just to register and pay for classes. You would think that a University that has been around doing the same thing for over 100 years would have it figured out by now without being complicated. I wouldn’t trade my schooling for anything, and the good far exceeds the bad.

The worst thing about Nevada is that Reno is not a very "college" town. Most stores and restaraunts are not easily walkable from campus. Alot of students find they have to have a car or take taxis to get from one side of town to the other.