University of Nevada-Reno Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Nevada-Reno

Ryan

I absolutely LOVE UNR. It is the best school and I am so glad I made this choice. Being from Las Vegas most want to go out of state. I play a sport and was enticed to go to another state to play, but after looking at many different colleges and what they had to offer this school is amazing. Now I have been there for a year and have talked with friends that went to other schools, I realize even more I made a great choice. There are so many things to do in Reno for anyone. In the fall we love tailgates, football games and all the places to go for food, drinks and meeting up. So many are close to campus you don't need a car and their is a bus service that's free to get you anywhere. The school has the most amazing gym. It was built in 2017 so its very new, is 3 stories high and very so convenient on campus that I use this 3-4 times a week. In winter you can ski/board at one of 4 resorts close by. Lake Tahoe is only 45 minutes away in spring and Reno has so many concerts, rodeo , rib fest and fun local things to do. Greek life is something that is also fun but you don't have to join if you don't want. Some schools you have to be associated with it, but you don't at UNR. With so many ways to make friends and a smaller close knit community I love all the choices the University of Nevada Reno gives me. It continues to build and grow and just love the smaller campus feel to such a large university.

ImanKarin

I am proud to say that I have been a student of UNR. Although I am currently taking the semester off, Reno has made it so that I'm excited to learn and see a successful future in my future. From registering for next semester to professors making me laugh, I look forward to every school day. For living in the dorms, I felt safe coming home at any time and was able to make friends. There was always something to do on campus or in dorms and the atmosphere makes you want to go back to school yourself. Everyone is dedicated and proficient in their area of study and people are encouraged to study in the beautiful Knowledge Center. Despite the lackluster food choice in the Den, I would not have this school be any other way. Enamored by the school I used to go to, even in my semester off, I see myself succeeding and wanting to go back.

Kas

The school atmosphere is one of my favorite things about the entire school. Especially during football season it always brings students and families together. As someone who has many family members who attend the school and is planning to attend the university next year I am truly excited to be a part of it. I grew up getting season passes to the football games and always looked forward to actually attending the school.

Amber

My opinion sways with the years, but overall I see my university as a place to grow as a person. There is so much to do if you just want to get involved. If you have a hobby, know there may be a club for it also. I think the experience is based on how much you want to do, it's all at your fingertips. For example my favorite is the discover science lecture series where professionals in a variety of fields come to present a lecture on their research. These free events were inspiring and helped me shape what I wanted to do with my degree. As such it is a good school as long as you are willing to make it your best. Create new friends, join clubs, make experiences, start a career. That's what the university is about and why I have loved my personal experience.

alexis

I love it here. The weather is nice, so many great food places on and around campus and a lot of activities to do. They are trying to get students to enjoy being on campus and host so many fun after school activities where you meet new people. Everyday I learn a new staff member as well. Plus I have never felt judged by anyone.

Kevin

I think that overall my college is a great place to be for students that want a cheaper alternative if they are living in-state. However, if you are from out-of-state then I wouldn't say it's the best possible choice. I would recommend it to people that live in Nevada, but not in another state. The community, staff, and people are nice and friendly in general. There aren't any major problems to be wary of.

Camille

The University of Nevada, Reno is a university that provides its students with ample opportunities. Its support for undergraduate research is phenomenal, and there are plenty of ways to get involved. Everything from teaching discussion groups to running for student government is accessible to students who take charge of their college experience.

Thomas

I believe that it is a great university with a wonderful student community. The communication from the university itself could do with a little improvement. However, almost all of the professors are wonderful and love to teach. They are available for help more often than not.

HAllie

I really like the campus. I feel safe, it's a supportive campus, and you wouldn't get bored there. The campus has events where you can talk to the President of university and air out your complaints to him. The teachers I've have are, most of the time, available and easy to contact if you have a problem. However, needs more parking is my only complaint.

Anastasia

Absolutely loving it! The university is always so full of life and fun and the classes are super interesting. There is always something to do on campus and the students and teachers are so helpful. University of Nevada-Reno has a diverse amount of classes to take to help you toward your correct career path. The counseling and administrative team are extremely helpful.

Shannon

University of Nevada, Reno is an amazing school. I have learned a lot of neat things that I will continue to follow throughout the years I attend college and even after I graduate. There are so many helpful professors and teacher aides that make sure you succeed in all classes.

Henry

This University has the top of the line equipment necessary to give one the most effective learning experience possible. The prime location of the city allows for great outdoor activities on the weekends such as skiing and hiking. The beautiful Lake Tahoe, resides merely 40 minutes away from south Reno and has great things to during all four seasons. The school has many tutoring centers to help students in their academics and make it very possible to learn and understand the studies being taught.

Kalysta

The University of Nevada, Reno gives each student an equal opportunity to be the best that they can be. Each student can find an activity or group where they belong. There are many clubs that one can join and rarely are they any restrictions. Academics are a number one priority and if needed can find an on-job campus that is flexible to class schedule.

UNR is a wonderful university! The people are great, the classes are good (so long as you keep an open mind), and the campus is beautiful. The cafeteria food is lacking in some areas, but it's better than other places. There's also a bit of construction going on that can be a bit of a nuisance when getting to class, but it's mostly on the outskirts of campus.

Lydia

I think it's a great college with a good emphasis on studies but folks who aren't afraid to have fun. The professors and advisers really care about you and are ready to help you succeed. There are plenty of good places to study and hang out around campus, both indoors and out.

Breanne

My overall opinion of the University of Nevada is that overall it is a great campus. It has an east coast feel with all the brick buildings even though it's on the west coast which I love. The longest drive to any main city is seven hours to las vegas which is where I am from. A lot of students also come from the Bay Area which is only a four-hour drive. I love the small college town feel and the fact that everyone knows each other somehow. most would think there's not a lot to do because it is a small town but that's only the case if you don't​ like the outdoors, and I do. Lake Tahoe is only an hour away which is my favorite thing. There is actually a lot to do here as long as you meet people and actually go do things.

The University of Nevada-Reno is an amazing college! I've grown up around the campus and am so blessed to finally be a part of the pack. The students and professors are extremely friendly, the campus is stunningly gorgeous and the courses offered are interesting and interactive. My favorite tradition on campus is the spirit of the home football games and the involvement of the students throughout each game. I also enjoy the campus facilities and resources offered because they are easy to access and provide for a safe and quiet environment for students to study. I am proud to be a part of the Nevada Wolf Pack and am looking forward to my next 3 years on campus!

The campus is large but not too big that it feels impersonal. Many of activities are offered weekly ranging from sports to politics to relaxation and everything in between. Students and teachers typically promote a friendly atmosphere on and around campus. There are plenty of little unique shops and food places around campus to enjoy and explore in the Reno area. Basketball games tend to be more popular with the students and sometimes the DC food can become redundant but overall the experience on campus is a great one.

Claudia

I enjoy the social scene here and there are always groups to join and things to do to keep busy. There is not a huge amount of diversity on the campus but it's not all one race or another and groups are fairly diverse in nature. I enjoy the classes that I am in but some professors can be hit or miss but by using things like ratemyprofessors and asking others who have taken the class before you can get good professors. The housing on campus is pretty good but two or three of the buildings are older and things like the elevators are not the best and two of the buildings have communal bathrooms. Food can get boring in the dorms but there is many places on campus and right off campus that are good and places where you can get stuff to keep in the dorms. I am living on campus right now but there is a lot of housing right off campus open to students and they are building more currently.

Samuel

Nice, safe, campus that's in a pretty central location. Good professors with some boring ones in the mix. Most professors will help you if you are having trouble and ask for help. Housing is a bit expensive but the lower tuition fees help with that. Food is not bad but gets old after a while.

there are too many students here I couldn't even get enrolled into spring some ester or meet with my advisor.

Louis

I am a huge fan of my University. The academics are excellent (although you have to put the work in!), the culture is great (between the UNLV/UNR rivalry, the growing Arts department, and Greek life there's always something to appreciate), and above all the people that attend the University of Nevada, Reno are top-notch peers that push and challenge me to ever greater heights.

Logan

The University of Nevada, Reno is a fantastic, public university with a multitude of research opportunities and plenty of options for students to graduate with minimal debt. With plenty of outdoor activities located less than an hour away in any direction, students can ski, snowboard, hike, swim, and much more! Combine that with great academic opportunities, and you get Nevada.

Bailey

UNR has excellent staff and faculty, a truly wonderful environment to flourish in.

Kathryn

This school is great as long as you have the motivation to learn for yourself outside of class. Some professors are more concerned with research than teaching, and that can definitely show during class. Not all professors are like this though; I only have 1 professor out of 8 that isn't as focused on teaching than research. This can be very frustrating for important classes like math though, so be careful with which section of a class you go into, and definitely ask other students about specific professors before enrolling in a class.

Heather

I love UNR. It is a very close by campus with a great range of clubs, activities and located in a great city. Reno is very lively and continues to bring big names for concerts and art shows. We are also very close to Lake Tahoe, Virginia City and Carson City which bring more opportunities to see how awesome Nevada is!

The University of Nevada, Reno is a fantastic campus if a student wants to have a nice, traditional college experience. There are hundreds of clubs, extracurriculars, and sports that are inclusive and welcoming to anyone wanting to find their niche in the university. The staff and teachers are welcoming and helpful, and the academics are absolutely setting students up for success outside of the classroom. The surrounding area has many activities and restaurants that are affordable and provide countless enjoyment. Everything about UNR proves that the campus and its residents are here for serious study and scholarly conversation and interaction, as well as a pleasurable experience.

Claira

In my opinion University of Nevada, Reno is a very large school with a helpful community. The campus may be surrounded by questionable places, but on campus is a whole different world. Everyone is very accepting and willing to help out. However, the communication between the students and the administrators is not helpful, especially in the housing and financial departments.

Aylin

I think the University is a good school. It has a lot of diversity, from what I have seen, of students and professors. Most professors, at least mine, are approachable when it comes to asking for help in the class. I also like the campus. It is a nice open area, with lots of nature surrounding it, but it could use some exterior cleaning.

Reneshia

I came to UNR not because it was my dream school but because it was yet so far but still so close to home. Now that I'm in my second year of college, I'm more familiar with campus and way of living in which I don't even count down the days until I go back home anymore. The campus is extraordinary beautiful especially during Fall season as the trees expressed the softest colors but yet so bright. The sight brings so much inner peace to me as I view life differently, it makes me realize the art in nature; how there's so much in life to love. All my professors have provided a clear understanding that they understand the course in which they're teaching, always willing to teach someone who wants to learn. The sports contribute to the school spirit in which students have in support of the school and the talents of our athletes. Students are provided exceptional transportation not only around the campus but to off campus housing which is very beneficial for students without a car. There's usually always someone around campus so feeling safe is an option although everything can't always be protected, you just have to watch your surrounding but that's with anywhere you go. Not having a car is the only downfall as there isn't many different restaurants around campus that's tasty, cheap, and accessible. Although I felt as if I should experience a HBCU, I wouldn't have picked any other college to attend.

Brianna

I love it. The professors are great. People kind of look at me weird when I say that UNR was my dream school, but with great academics being a tier 1 university, D1 sports programs and so close to tons of recreational activities, oh and four season weather, it's seriously the best. Also the university just opened a brand new gym and has new buildings being built all the time, including the new student achievement center, and the knowledge center.

Madison

The University of Nevada-Reno is a college that strives for academic achievement. I am always confident that I can talk to my professors and expand on any new Ideas. I thoroughly enjoy attending the college. Though I wish parking for students was less of a hassle.

Haleigh

The University of Nevada- Reno, also known as Nevada, is most definitely the better of the universities in Nevada. Our rivalry for our sister school, UNLV, is almost as intense as the students drinking problems. There is no other school that offers empty alcohol bottles to our Mackay statue, nor wanders the downtown streets in the early hours with the local crack heads and homeless population. Regardless of student tailgating being shut down, our Wolf Pack spirit is still at an all time high as we cheer on our basketball and football team during season. Besides sports, we have an active student government, a club for almost anything someone can desire to be apart of, and a struggling greek life. If none of those interest someone still, we have plenty of academic organizations to join. The professors I have encountered are all friendly and willing to help you pass as long as you actually put in effort, which is expected. Overall, the University of Nevada-Reno is a good place to go if you want to be involved, get an education, and have a liver of steel. It is also an added perk that Lake Tahoe is close and has some of the best ski resorts on the west coast.

Margarita

There is terrible parking and some trouble with diversity but overall a good school for the price. Everyone is involved in sports but some of the clubs are hard to find. The dorm rooms are at max capacity and the dining hall food leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Lyrissa

Great School! The atmosphere and people are wonderful and the campus is gorgeous. I highly recommend this school to people! I love that there are so many opportunities both on and off campus, and you never feel like there is not going to be something that suits you. I love UNR!

Tiana

University of Nevada- Reno(UNR) has become my home away from home. Leaving Las Vegas to come to Reno was a stressful decision for me, except Reno has helped me. University of Nevada- Reno is a diverse campus that welcomes all people of different gender, races, backgrounds, or sexual orientations. Finding a group to fit in with comes easily at UNR. There are many clubs or organizations that appeal to everyone. This includes greek life or First in the Pack, which is an organization for minority students.Along with the social side of school, UNR provides many opportunities to receive help on campus. For example, the Writing Center or the Chemistry Help Center. These centers both provide assistance to students. The Writing Center has mentors to meet with one-on-one that are graduates English major students, who can assistant you in any stage of the writing process. The Chemistry Help Center has a room full of teaching assistants to assistant anyone taking chemistry. UNR is full of 20,000 students, but you feel close to every person. UNR becomes a home to all the students.

Liberty

I love the University, they try to add things that students will enjoy using. The campus is beautiful and people are always nice. The professors always make an effort to show their students that they are there for them and hold office hours regularly.

Alli

This school is full of problems, causing constant phone calls and waiting in office lines with issues that should be easily fixable online. Class sizes are AWFUL, if you even get into the classes you need at all. There are always wait listed classes causing students to have to stay extra semesters because they don't get into all of the classes that are needed to graduate. So many unnecessary headaches with this school. They boast about being one of the cheapest colleges to go to, but does that really matter when you have to stay an extra year anyway? Not in my book.

Kareem

The ultimate place to be to move further in life to be the best you can be.

Naiya

When my parents told me they wanted me to go to UNR instead of some of the other schools that had accepted me, I was a little disappointed. Appearances suggested it was just the closest school and that it had received its Tier 1 rating just by being one of two universities in the state. However, after going to this school for two years, I've really come to appreciate it. Despite the fact that it's a fairly rural school, it has many surprisingly well-qualified professors who were drawn to the school by a love of the region--and who can blame them considering Lake Tahoe and Squaw Valley are within an hour's drive? All the professors I've had have been very willing to help students and excited to try to new teaching methods such as utilizing learning assistants and "flipped classrooms." Also, given how many professors there are with how few students, there are many opportunities to be found for undergraduate research. My one gripe with the school has been its fixation on sports: too much money is spent on athletes and athletic facilities when the growing student body would benefit more from additional parking and more classrooms. Overall, UNR is a surprisingly high quality school and certainly worth consideration when trying to pick a college.

T'erra

Dream school

Nadya

Great school and also has great medical program :)

Mariah

I love the college I attend. I don't feel nervous to ask questions, there's always tutoring and counseling help available, the classes are interactive, and it's an ever growing college. Overall it has been fun to attend the University of Nevada, Reno and I look forward to two more years until I graduate.

Anthony

The University of Nevada-Reno is a nice school to go to the Student Housing is amazing the Professors aren't that good but there are some that are good. they have tons of resources on campus that students can use. But you can only get so far with the resources if you have a horrible professor. Besides that, I like the school.

Edward

The facilities provided by the University of Nevada are exceptional and superior. To almost any major, they are quite useful. There is nothing that a student attending here cannot learn and experience from all the resources available from the faculty to labs.

Samin

Overall, University of Nevada, Reno is a very welcoming place. The majority of the staff can be found all around campus and are always willing to help. Most the of the professors and teaching assistants fantastic and always open to questions and meetings. The main hangout spot, “The Joe (Crowley)” had a variety of food options, hang out spots, and resources. Campus is taken care of and well-kept all the time. The fitness center is in great shape and is very modern and neat. Some of the on-campus living aren’t in the best condition and are somewhat overflowed, but overall, they are in good shape and supply students with what they need. There are so many different types of people and extracurricular activities on campus. It is easy to join and everyone is willing to be friends. I love UNR!

Stacey

The University of Nevada, Reno has amazing programs with amazing faculty. The research opportunities are endless and each faculty member has their own research. I absolutely love it here and encourage those who want a fun college experience to apply.

Jolyn

I believe this university has a lot to offer students. There are so many resources that are incredibly helpful, so many that I haven't had the opportunity to take advantage of them all! I believe that the faculty want students to be successful and feel happy here on campus. I feel like we really strive to be more like a community based university where we band together.

Danny

The University of Nevada, Reno is a beautiful campus with even more beautiful people. Mostly everyone is friendly and is an overall great environment for its students. People here really do care about their education yet still have plenty of fun on their free time. If you're deciding to join the wolf pack I can tell you that it is the definition of the college experience.

Kimberlynn

The University of Nevada is one of the most underrated colleges. It provides students with vast opportunities, while still keeping a close relationship with students. The students who attend the University of Nevada are a wide variety, which leads to many opportunities to engage and become friends with many people. There are a wide variety of activities that students can engage in. Along with the great student atmosphere the professors want the students to succeed and it is shown in their teaching and their devotion to their students. Overall the University of Nevada is a great choice for any student wanting to have a great college experience, while receiving a solid education.