Biddeford, ME
University of New England

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of New England

Catherine

Catherine, I am here to talk to you about your future. You need to go to the college of your dreams, not where someone else wants you to go. Though UNE is a great school there is not as much opprotunity as some other schools. It has always been your dream to study abroad and you should make that dream a reality. If you academic advisor says that it's impossible, don't take that as an answer! Fight for what you want in life or people are going to take away your dreams. Go into college with your head up and your heart in dentistry. You need to stay motivated to reach new levels of success. If your friends are distracting you and you need some alone time to study go to the library or a quiet area. I know it is hard when everyone around you is going out or having fun but just remind yourself that you are in college to learn and to become a professional in your field of study. It is always good to take a break and have fun with your friends but you need to always remember why you are at school.

In my own personal opinion, the worst thing about my school is the amount of tuition. Without financial aid, UNE costs $52,000 a year for a full time resident student. Though I am funded and helped by some financial aid, I am still paying $32,000 a year. I do not understand where they think students are able to get enough money to afford four years of schooling at such a pricey expense. The worst thing about UNE is that it costs too much.

UNE is very focused on meshing both academic experience and field experience simultaneously

I would have made very little changes to my college and graduate school decisions. I went to smaller sized colleges which I believe was the best decision for me. I would have gotten involved in sports and clubs sooner into my college career. In addition I would have worked less or rearranged my work schedule so I could have been more involved with campus activities. I would have also engaged in more diverse internships in my undergraduate studies and fought harder for internships I was really interested in, in my graduate school studies.

An individual that knows what they want to major in and the career path they would like to be on.

Kaitlin

UNE is a mid-sized school with big ambitions. It is always growing and looking out for the best interest of the students that attend the University. My time at UNE has been more than delightful and I have made great connections with my peers, faculty and staff members as well as members of the surrounding Biddeford and Saco area. The opportunities given to the students at UNE allow them to become more than just a face in the crowd. Through on or off campus leadership opportunities, study abroad opportunities, and research opportunities, I feel that UNE's students are making a positive impact in Southern Maine as well as all over the world. When I tell people that I go to UNE, people are usually impressed, and ask more about my studies and the location; two things that I am very proud of. UNE is located on the beautiful coast of Maine, and we are lucky enough to have our own private beach! As far as academics go, there is something here for everyone whether you want that hands-on experience in Marine Biology or want to make connections in the field through the Nursing, Dental Hygiene, Environmental Science and Education programs. On campus, you can always find people hanging out in Windwad Cafe, or The Hang to grab something to eat or see a live musical performance, magician, and more! UNE is definitely a great place to be!

Academically, UNE shines above and beyond. With the small class sizes, it is easy to get to know professors on more of a personal level. Some professors even put their personal cell phones on their syllabus at the beginning of the semester! As an Environmental Science major, I was on a first name basis with the professors in the department. All we ready to work with students on a one-on-one basis if necessary, but most of the classes are discussion based. As far as the core curriculum goes, students are required to take classes outside of their major, which helps up become generally more well rounded. The most unique class that I took at UNE was a faculty led- travel course to both Belize and Panama where we took the class regularly during the semester and after finals, we traveled as a class to our destinations for lab credit! It was probably one of the most exciting and amazing experiences I have had at UNE!

Jacklyn

My school is a challenging school that makes students work hard for their grades and gives them an education that will provide then with the knowledge they will need for their career.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to prepare to work hard. College is not just a fun time, but it requires hours of studying a homework. I thought high school was hard because I took a few AP classes. I now know that high school is a breeze compared to the classes in college. It may be because I am a medical biology student, but I get hours of homework a night, and I often lose hours of sleep due to my studies. When everyone describes college students as broke and tired, they were not over exaggerating. Because of the work load, I get less sleep than I did in high school, and because I cannot work as much as a did in high school, I have less money as well. But I will also tell my high school self that, even with the hardships, college is so much better than high school. I would tell myself that it does get better, and that college will be the best years of my life.

When I tell my friends about my school I don't talk about parties or good food. I brag about the great education I am getting. My school is very challenging, and because of this, I know many people who are transfering after this year. However, I love the challenge. I find that this school is allowing me to find my learning styles and test me so I can work to the best of my abilities. Twenty years from now the excitement of college won't matter, my education will.

daniel

the open and modern campus provides convience. it is a medium size enrollment which makes the experience more personal.

i would tell myself to financially be more prepared. the additional worry of finances can add pressure.

the campus is located on the new england ocean coastline. the campus is also a dry campus.

Kristine

A beautiful campus with great loving people.

A beautiful campus with great loving people.

The advice I would give to a high school senior about college is to not be afraid. Everyone in your dorm is going through the same thing as you, even though you may seem alone sometimes, someone is always there to talk to. You just have to go be yourself and you will have a great time and meet awsome people. There will be ups and downs, but you will get through everything with the help of your friends. The transistion may be hard at the begining but over time you will get used to it and learn to love life at college. In the end everything always works out the way it is suppose to. Dont be afraid to be who you really are and be open to making new friends. You never know, they become the friends at your wedding one day. Overall, just be confident in the person who you have become and be strong. College will do great things for you.

This is a very academic based school, you come her to get your work done. Everyone is really friendly and willing to help. The campus is beautiful, but you have to be ready to do your part and work very hard in what every major you decide.

robert

My classmates are great people

My classmates are great people

Think back to the story you learned about as a child called "The Tortoise and The Hair." Slow and steady wins the race. You are going to be tempted to just go go go and never stop. Just focus and do your best and everything will work out the way it is supposed to. Set good, strong goals and stick to them. Layout your school schedule at the beginning of every semester. After a while it will become hard to be persistent in planning but it will benefit you in the long run. I promise. I heard a quote by C. S. Lewis which said, “Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching.” If you want to have an effect on others, then you will have to learn how to incorporate this into who you are as an individual. In order to have true integrity you will have to make a commitment to do the right thing simply because it is the right choice. When it is sought with this intent it is easy to do the right thing at all times because it will become habit. Work hard but have fun.

Michelle

My school has a beautiful beach nearby.

My school has a beautiful beach nearby.

Appreciate the life you have, one day you will not be able to enjoy it as much as you want. The future will be very unclear and frustrating ad spend as much as you can with friends. You worked so hard to feel so comfortable with others so why waste the time you have when in the future, you will all be going to different schools and will not have the time to just be in each others' company. Be with family too because they will support you in your worst times, even if they aren't immediate family. Since so many of them are older than you, why not ask them for advice? They know what the college life is like and they care about you enough to not let you go through stressful times alone. You will miss them when they go back to college and you won't be able to see them as much as you can right now.

There are so many bugs that bite you within three seconds.

Francesca

The activities offered by the schools throughout the week really build the community. Everyone gets really close and they don't end up feeling awkward doing things with each other, like awkward dancing and making weird noises. I like how everyone gets along and it doesn't hurt that its a small school so you see the same people time and again.

Never underestimate the power of a study group and adequate study time. I never really studied in high school, but once I got to college I studied so much, mostly with the same group of friends who were in most of my classes. I found that working in a group really works best because you can work off each others strengths and they can help to clarify certain things you weren't sure about.

The most frustrating thing about my school probably happens at most schools. Most weeks are pretty easy going with a few assignments throughout the week and then others are full of projects and tests to study for. This makes for a weird time trying to manage my time from week to week.

Crosby

The best part about the school is the vicinity to the beach. It is right on the ocean, and the surrounding area is a summer beach house town. The town of Biddeford is very sketchy, and nothing happens there. I would change the food, I don't think there is one person that brags about the dining hall. There isn't anything that says college town about Biddeford, its an old rundown mill town. There is no school spirit, here and the sports are very sub par. I spend a majority of my time at the beach, and in the lounge.

Most of my professors know my name except for my Chemistry lecture, where I am 7167. I love Mar 105, Marine biology, with David Guay. I least like Chemisty, where the professor could care less about any one student. The classes where teachers know your name, class participation is common. Students aren't very competitive, but there is some, but mostly jokingly about how they fail a quiz. The education is about getting a job, but also learning. I'm a marine Biology major. It is a very well run department, and the labs are very new and up to date.

I would say this school is for people who know exactly, what they want to major in during college. If you are not interested in Biological, and Heath science I would look else where. The students here study a fair, amount. Weekends here on campus are very dead. The students either leave or head off campus to house near by.

University of New England administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.