University of New England

« See more reviews of University of New England

I would give myself the advice to get as invloved as I can in school and to give back to the community. Being focused on school and academics is more beneficial and important than just focusing on the social aspect, even as important as that aspect is. There is time for the social aspect of college, but only after the academic part is achieved. Getting involved in the community is a great way to meet people as well as to make a difference in the community. Taking time for yourself and enjoying the time in college is as important as doing well. These are the best years of your life and take time to take in those moments that will stay with you for the rest of your life. If I were to go back and give myself any advice, overall it would be to stay focused on academics and to get involved and give back to the community that you will be a part of in college.

A big part of making the right choice in where to attend college and making the most of the college experience is deciding on the size of the school that you want to attend. If you are more interested in a small college and you go to a big university, then you will not be getting the same kind of experience. Also, it is important to know ahead of time what kind of experience you are looking for in the social aspects. If you are looking for more of a party school, then you should talk to current students about what kind of atmosphere exists on campus and off. Usually, current students will be able to tell you if your prospective school is more a party school or more of a down to earth studious campus. Don't be afraid to talk to the admissions folks, and try to visit as many campuses as you can before applying or choosing your college. Best of Luck!

The advice I would give to a high school senior about college is to not be afraid. Everyone in your dorm is going through the same thing as you, even though you may seem alone sometimes, someone is always there to talk to. You just have to go be yourself and you will have a great time and meet awsome people. There will be ups and downs, but you will get through everything with the help of your friends. The transistion may be hard at the begining but over time you will get used to it and learn to love life at college. In the end everything always works out the way it is suppose to. Dont be afraid to be who you really are and be open to making new friends. You never know, they become the friends at your wedding one day. Overall, just be confident in the person who you have become and be strong. College will do great things for you.

Appreciate the life you have, one day you will not be able to enjoy it as much as you want. The future will be very unclear and frustrating ad spend as much as you can with friends. You worked so hard to feel so comfortable with others so why waste the time you have when in the future, you will all be going to different schools and will not have the time to just be in each others' company. Be with family too because they will support you in your worst times, even if they aren't immediate family. Since so many of them are older than you, why not ask them for advice? They know what the college life is like and they care about you enough to not let you go through stressful times alone. You will miss them when they go back to college and you won't be able to see them as much as you can right now.

I would tell parents to let their child decide which school to attend. I would also tell them to visit each school they are considering before attending. Pick the school that feels right to you as an individual. Reseach activities of interest and look into the program you want to major in before deciding. Base your decision on which program will help you achieve your career goals. Don't forget to consider the class sizes and the availbility of the professors. Depending on your financial status it may also be necessary to choose a school that offers the best money. Have a first choice in mind and always have a back up plan incase that school is not what you expect. Ask the students what the school is like when you visit. Get info about classes, social life, activities, etc.

Find a college that you love the atmosphere of and then make a list of everything that you love about it and also what you are not so sure of. Then find a way that you can talk to an alum or someone who currently goes there because the wil be the most honest about the experience there. Ask them about the things you put on both sides of your list and if you don't feel confident enough;talk to another person. And after you feel you have found the perfect school, think how you are going to pay for that education. There is always a way but you don't want to have to think about all of them when the tuition bill gets mailed out. My biggest piece of advice is plan ahead. In life you will always have surprises but when there are oportunities to lessen the amount you go for it.

High school is more oppressive than college. Don't be afraid to pursue your intrerests, to get involved, and to stretch yourself beyond all possible limits. College gives you the wings to fly, it really helps if you've been practicing before hand. Every trip, every service, every volenteer hour counts. Don't be afraid of the new people you'll meet. It's fine to be nervous, but there are many new and inovative ideas to be shared, and you won't discover them if you don't start talking to people. Home will always have the best food, but you'll be suprised how easy it is to adjust to the college campus. Don't try to avoid the whole experience. Jump in! Most importantly, books always look thinner online. Save yourself a trip to the doctor and buy a backpack with wheels.

Ask alot of questions. That is probabaly the one thing that students and parents don't do when they go one there college visitations. Also to students do what you want not what your parents want, if they want you to go to a huge school that has a great name but you want to go to a smaller school your parents have never heard of go where you want to. When you go to the school make use of every oppurtunity presented to you, if you feel you might want to do something but your not sure i say do it. you wont regret it and you may meet some new people. Also try and avoid going home or leaving campus alot, the people who did not like my school are the kids who left almost every weekend. if you leave all the time you can't make connections with people.

There is a few words i would like to tell parents out there who have children that are looking at colleges. Do not force your child to go to a school you went to or would have liked to go. Let them go to the school they want to, where they can get the best experience not you. Its all about us and the rest of our lives. It is a big decision that you should let them decide for themselves. Of course you can give them advice nothing wrong with that but let them have the final word.They know what they want in life and even if they dont going to the college they want may give them the nudge they have been waiting for to figure out where they want to go in life. And all students out there when you find the right college, trust me you will know.

If I were able to travel back in time I would do many things. But that is irrelevant in relation to this topic so if I were to just go back in time and tell my High School self one thing it would be to work on study habits. Out of the millions of possible answers, that is the one thing that will definitely help a person in college. I did not perfect my study habits in High School and my first semester grades showed that. But this semester I am working on my study habits, getting together with friends to study and going to the Learning Assistance Center on campus. So if I was able to go back to High School I would tell myself to work on study habits because studying helps grades and grades are what make or break a college student.