University of New England

« See more reviews of University of New England

First of all I would tell myself that my work load in college would be much more lighter than my work load in high school. I would also tell myself not to have a nervous breakdown for getting one lousy grade because in the end you'll get all A's and one bad grade won't affect it too much. Most importantly, I would tll myself to hang in there because my first month and a half I cried a lot because I missed my home and family, but I love my college friends and after a while I learned to love it at UNE so much that I missed it when I went home. Thus, I would let myself know that it was worth it to live on campus rather than commute because I needed to experience life away from my family and it helped me to grow and meet new people.

If I could meet my past self, the first thing I would do would be to reassure myself that everything happens for a reason, and regardless of what school I go to, I will succeed in my studies and find a niche for myself. Classes and GPA isn't everything, and life isn't based on a scale of one to four. You must remember that life is a journey, and you never know what curves you will face. While I was once most concerned with classes, I now know that you can only learn so much from a teacher and a text book. You get out what you put in, and the only thing you can put in is your very best. In the end, just do what makes you happy, and you will get the best college experience you can hope for, while still succeeding in life.

The greatest thing I will take away from my college experience is the people I have met. When people say you meet life-long friends during college, they are right. I love attending a relatively small University because walking around campus you know so many people on a personal level, rather than seeing a bunch of people you do not know. The people that attend UNE are genuienly focused on better their lives through their education. The proffessors are very involved with all the students, doing what they can to help. Overall, the University of New England is a great college and a perfect fit for me. There are so many things I will take away from this university that has bettered me as person in many ways.

My college experience is one that I will never forget; I have formed a stronger bond with my best friend, who attends another school, and my family. I have made new friends and learned that these are people who I hope will be in my life for a long time. All of the people in my life challenge me and now I truly understand why they push me to do better and be better. I would look at things in a black and white world and discovered that so many things are grey and different shades of grey. How one looks at a topic does not make them wrong just different opinion. College is making me a woman who will be a productive member of society, help others and grow every day.

UNE gave me the opportunity to excel in both academics and research. This would have not occurred if I did not go to UNE because most school hierarchy is set in stone and nearly impossible to further yourself as a student. For example, most school do not allow student to be accepted in their honors program after they already attended the school for a semester or after the honors program deadline has passed. Although my school gave me the opportunity after my first semester of college. This school is definitely worth attending because the connections you make here are for life which is an added asset when applying for internships and graduate school.

Just make sure that you are prepared for a new place, and harder courses than high school, but also consider how much you really think you can pay per year, because, in this economy, student loans are becoming harder to find and I personally would prefer not to have to transfer if I can no longer afford this school because my friends here are like family and I don't know what I would do without them. Also, for those of you who don't know this, if you transfer, the credits from the previous school should count for the school you are moving to, but your GPA starts over, which I guess could really make or break a lot of people!

To the parents the financial aid is the hardest part but after that its smooth sailing, also help your kids for the first couple of years finacially before cutting them loose to fend for themselves. When picking the right college make sure its somewhere you want to be because you will be spending a lot of your time there, be sure tol look at the students there and your surroundings. When in college don't stay in your room the whole time either it is important to make new friends and experience new things, i believe it will help you grow as a student and a person

Choose a college that feels right. Think about what you want before making your final decision. For example class/library size, dorm rooms, transportation, faculty/staff, available activities/ sports. Ask yourself if you can see yourself living there and taking classes there for an entire year. Most importantly, determine if you can afford it and if you need scholarships and loans to go there. College will be one of the best times of your life so you have to enjoy it, but also know that it is a lot of work. The key is too know what you want and go for it!

I would have made very little changes to my college and graduate school decisions. I went to smaller sized colleges which I believe was the best decision for me. I would have gotten involved in sports and clubs sooner into my college career. In addition I would have worked less or rearranged my work schedule so I could have been more involved with campus activities. I would have also engaged in more diverse internships in my undergraduate studies and fought harder for internships I was really interested in, in my graduate school studies.

I would tell myself to join more school activities, they are a very good way to meet people and I have found without them my social group is much more limited. I would also tell myself to apply to work study jobs sooner, because all the good jobs are gone before long. Combine this with an ability to manage time in order to get schoolwork done, and you will do well. Finally, don't worry so much about being liked. The kids here are usually very accepting, and the professors are not as scary as their title suggests!