University of New England Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of New England

Christina

Overall, the University of New England is great! The teachers really care about each student individually, especially in the upper level classes. There are also some amazing opportunities to study abroad. We even have our own campus in Tangier Morocco which I attended and LOVED.

paige

It's a beautiful campus, the people are super nice; and were very judgment free. The food could be a little better but there are other areas to eat off campus. securing a campus job is not a hassle at all. there are many activities that happen both on campus and off campus so you really wont get board.

Emma

I believe that the University of New England is a great place to get a great education, from highly trained professionals in their field. There are may opportunities to make tons of friends and some of the sweetest people go to school here. Going out and partying isn't as big as it is at public schools but you can always find a party to go to. The beach on campus is one of my favorite places to hangout with friends and to get some much needed R&R. Although the food on campus isn't the best you can always find something to feed your hunger.

Eryn

Truthfully I'm looking to transfer and I've talked to a lot of freshmen and sophomores and they are too. People here are very judgmental and I'd even go so far to say outright mean. The social life is nonexistent and although their website makes it seem like a lot goes on here each club is centered around a major like the pre-OT club or the pre-marine bio club. Other clubs are expensive and ask a lot in return. Alcohol is nonexistent here as well, this is no joke. I've been here a while and there.are.no.parties. The good part? Well you're very close to the Biddeford crossing with good shops and the classes are good. I really like my professors. I don't want to be super negative but like I said I'm transferring, believe me for good reasons.

Hunter

Love it. This is a very safe academic atmosphere. It has awesome labs, small class sizes and the professors are amazing. Campus is right on the water with its own beach. Small town, but close to Portland. Much of the campus is new and the academic financial package is awesome.

Brianna Testa

If you're looking for a smaller university that has everything a large institution has to offer, UNE is exactly what you're looking for. There are always professors willing to help you, and always activities going on curtesy of our APB, or Activities Planning Board. If you have any issues with the environment you're in, there are panels of faculty, staff, and students who work together to solve issues. On top of all that UNE is a frontrunner in sustainability and prove to really care and focus on keeping the world and especially the society in southern Maine a healthy and happy one.

Cassie

The University of New England is a beautiful campus on the coast of Maine, and overall I could not be happier here. The academics are rather interesting, and the professors are usually easy to access. The extracurricular and food may be a little lacking, but you can still find something to do and something good to eat.

Corey

Overall the school is very nice and I feel that it is a great fit for me to be successful in my field. The program for marine sciences is great and the size of the campus is great too. One problem is that the school is trying to expand and this is impeding on my experience at the school with construction. Also the school is quite costly for what I feel that I am getting out of it and I will forever be in debt because of it.

Raghda

I think it is a great school, but expensive.

I am currently taking online classes at the University of New England. I find the classes to be rather difficult, as there is little help from the instructors. They use an online proctor service for exams, which is extremely convenient, but also a bit creepy and I now cover my laptop camera when not using the proctor service.

samantha

I love everything about the college, from the location by the water to being able to take the bus to go to shops around in neighboring towns. The dorm rooms are small as expected but its easy to be able to fit stuff in them and be able to make an organized space for working

Kaitlin

It is a very small school, which, for me, is perfect. I love being able to take a quiet walk to the library and spend the night studying, and I love that everything is in close proximity to each other. However, you can still meet up and have fun with friends as well, and there are lots of familiar faces as you walk through campus.

Skylar

I love my school! There are so many things to do around campus, and the people here are very kind and helpful that I feel welcomed and accepted wherever I go. The facilities are always clean and the people that work there are very helpful with whatever you may need. The campus is very beautiful and I feel safe walking around by myself. I love this school, the community, the people, and the academics reassures me that I chose the right college to go to!

Myranda

This school is a small school but the academics are amazing. The professors

Aidan

It is a great school for people looking to learn and be around nature. It is a great medical school and there is little partying. The housing is average but once you become a senior you can rent an off campus beach house for cheap. it is a small school but all the students really get behind the sports so all the events are really fun. The small school is an advantage if you want to be around nice people that you see everyday.

Noelle

UNE is a medium-sized school with great faculty and strong academic programs. It's a quiet campus along the water with a lot to do in the surrounding towns/cities. Food and housing are good, but nothing exceptional. Overall, it is a beautiful college that provides students with a great education and many opportunities.

Matthew

I really enjoy UNE. The class sizes are great, and the lectures normally get you involved in what you are learning about. Most professors are excited to teach, which makes it fun to learn. The people are friendly and there is plenty of activities to partake in. The party life is quiet, which makes it good for studying, but there is some to take a break once in a while.

Meagan

The school has a small population size, allowing you to get to know a lot of the students and create a relationship with your professors. The scenery of the ocean/river is breathtaking. It holds an enjoyable atmosphere to learn and fulfill your college experience.

Mollie

My opinion on the University of New England is that the professors are generally nice and usually always available for out of classroom help. They seem very knowledgeable and very willing to help. The food is ok, the new dining hall opened so it has been getting better. The dorms are pretty small but that is to be expected. Overall is it a pretty good school, very science based.

The University of New England is a great school, especially for those interested in the Health Sciences. There are plenty of things to do and places to study and eat at, which I really appreciate. I like how the Biddeford campus is right on the water, which provides a beautiful view, but is also close to the city. Although I've only visited their campuses twice, I've come to really admire UNE for the beauty of the campus and its close-knit community. Everyone is kind and welcoming at UNE!

Ryann

I love the overall atmosphere and environment of the school. It's very welcoming from the faculty and staff offering assistance/advice to students when needed, to students being friendly and creating new friendships every day. I am very glad I have chosen UNE as a place where I can further my education to continue my future aspirations.

The University of New England promotes academic success. Their main programs are in marine biology and the health sciences. Professors are easily accessible by email, office hours and by appointment. Although they have some extracurricular activities and clubs, their main objective is academic success, including free tutoring and workshops, open communication with advisers and professors, and advertised resources online and on-campus. Residential life at UNE is designed for the student's comfort, leisure and safety. Student safety is of prime importance here. Clubs that facilitate sexual health and address violence and sexual assault are endorsed throughout the halls on walls and bulletin boards. The campus is beautiful and neatly maintained. The campus offers a wealth of healthy food choices, optimal for vegans, people with allergies, etc. Overall, UNE attracts focused, goal-oriented students. It's quiet, beautiful and safe.

Jaslynn

The campus is beautiful, as it is right along the saco river, and it has it's own private beach! I think the food is great, because you're guaranteed three meals a day where as some people don't even have that at home. There are friends to be made everywhere and there's activities all over campus, some you just have to look for!

Erin

I attended the University of New England for my Freshman year of college unfortunately money got tight and I wasn't able to come back for my sophomore year. Just from being at the school for one year I absolutely loved it i made so many great friends, the professors were on call when you needed them and were very helpful if need be. The campus is beautiful and i would not want to go to any other school if I had the choice.

Nasro

University of New England (UNE) has campuses on Biddeford and Portland Maine.; the Portland campus is mainly for graduate students and the Biddeford campus is for undergraduates. This is a perfect school if you are majoring in health science professions. You are going to fall in with the campus because it has beautiful locations with a view of the ocean as well as a private beach. UNE is a very expensive school try to apply for as many scholarships as you possibly can, this way you are not overloaded with loans by graduation! Our classrooms are fairly small this way students and teachers can be in close contact. Because the school is pretty small, this allows for teachers to know their students a lot better. There is also a fair amount of work but can be very difficult at times so get ready for some challenges. Also seek for help whenever you have to; don’t fear of people not willing to help because they want to help see you succeed.

I love the school because it is fairly small so you can get access to more opportunities. The people are very friendly and the academics are great! I love that our school is more geared towards academics because I’m not a huge partier, which means I can actually get my work done.

Autumn

Overall, the University of New England prepares students for their field of study. We have a clinic on campus for our dental hygiene students. The Coleman clinic is a great learning experience with real patients. I have only attended for a year, but I have learned a lot. I did a full mouth x-ray in less than 15 minutes with no retakes! There are 18 radiograph photos total in a full mouth x-ray and I feel confident in my abilities as a junior, I can't wait to see what my senior year holds! I only saw 5 patients too before the semester was cut short due to Covid-19 so this school really prepares their students, you also get out of it what you put into it!

Claire

Overall, I don't think UNE is a bad school. For those who wish to major in marine biology, medical biology, general biology, or other pre-graduate programs- it's perfect. However, for people like me who want to study psychology, women and gender's studies, sociology, or other like social sciences, UNE is lacking the proper curriculum, environment, support, just everything. This was my first choice school and now I'm sad to say that I'll be transferring after only one semester. The social environment is nearly nonexistent and not saying that I want to party every weekend, but I wish that people actually wanted to leave their dorm rooms and hang out somewhere on campus.

Jabin

It's a wonderful small/medium sized school with around 4,000 students not including graduate and online. It has a great campus life and a great athletics department. It's in Biddeford Maine which is next to Portland which is a great city and the campus is right on a beach of which the school owns a part of.

Sara

The University of New England is a smaller universities on the coast of Maine. The academics are excellent as well as the student life. The facilities are extremely nice including the athletic complex. The sports teams are very good and are always at the top of the Commonwealth coastal conference.

Noelle

I believe that overall it is a good school if you have a science based major. Both the medical and biological sciences are the most popular and are well rounded. On-campus food has lots of options if you don't feel like eating at the dining hall. There are lots of sports events, but hockey is the most popular and most attended. Overall a good school.

Hilary

I have had a horrible horrible experience with his University. This online program was recommended to me by a close friend. I have an undergrad in biology and wanted to get a masters in public health. Long story short I submitted to get financial aid to help pay for the courses. They approved me for 4.5k (which is enough for two courses) and I started. First class went smooth and I got a B and I really enjoyed it. Second class the professor name was Jennifer Gunderman and boy I have never had a worse professor in my life. She basically made us write a paper about why teenager pregnancy is a "disease". I am a product of teenage pregnancy and came out okay. I did not agree with her term of disease about teenage moms. Cancer is a disease. If young kids get educated better and use protective measures teenage pregnancies will go down. Anyways after I expressed my freedom of speech and told her I do not agee with this paper I was instantly given an F on first paper. I have never EVER gotten an F in my life. So I withdrew from the course. Turns out there is a 2 day withdraw period!! That they do not tell you about and they keep all your money after that!! SO they kept my second 2.5k money and failed me for withdrawing. Also turns that the "financial aid" that I got was not financial aid and personal loan as well! So now I got 1 failed course for two day withdraw and 4.5K added to my already high personal education loan. Turns out my financial aid was never financial aid at all, it was a personal loan! So my money was kept and stolen and I was mislead that I was getting financial aid. Since then I have called to inquire why this happened and what is going on and have been given the run around and told "Sorry we can no longer assist you" So they basically take your money and then say sorry! I have honestly never done this in my life. I do not know if this is some kind of scam or what but I am honestly considering suing this place.

Kylie

The University of New England is my home. I instantly fell in love with the atmosphere it gave me so much potential to look forward to living on campus. This allowed me to become my true self and show my immediate family what made me who I am today. Unfortunately, with COVID-19 we had to cut the living on campus lifestyle very short this year. I miss my second family that UNE brought to me. This school is amazing at being a close community and you're instantly able to make friends. This school was definitely the right choice for me for many reasons, one being the campus and staff were so well rounded that it felt like my community back home.