Durham, NH
University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

This university is challenging, beautiful, intriguing, and filled with mass amounts of wildcat pride.

Our school is best known for the tremendous facilities, and the ten different colleges for the majors at our university. I believe our school is also best known for the contributions and additions to the university given by alumni. There is a connection from the day you begin at this university until after you graduate. Another great attribute that this school is known for would be the hockey team we have because of the level of competiveness, and school pride we have at the games is what makes it very well known.

Who will I be friends with? How will I find my classes? WIll I be lost in this huge lecture hall? What will it be like with a roommate? Will I feel comfortable being this far away from home? These were just a few of the questions that ran through my inexpereinced and innocent mind as a high school senior. Now a year later I have all these answers to tell myself as a high school senior. The advice and direction I would tell myself as a senior to take would be to indulge in the whole college experience. Do not be afraid to go up to a new person in your residence hall and introduce yourself, or talk to someone you do not know sitting next to you in class, and become involved immediately. The best way to meeting new people like you are the ones who are interested in the same activites. I really want to stress to not become a follower and become friends with people that will lead you down the wrong path because it is what seems comfortable in the beginning. You are on your own, show and be the best person you can be.

Katherine

There are many pieces of advice I'd give my high school senior self. First and foremost, I would have looked into other schools and the cost of tuition for each. I wanted to go to a school close to home and I (too) quickly zoned in on this one. I didn't look into costs or how much debt I'd be in (unfortunately). I would have told myself to explore careers first before picking a major, as well as peruse all of the majors and courses offered at prospective schools. Once you are in a major for a few semesters, it is difficult to make up for lost time if you decide you want to pursure something else - waste of time, waster of money. Finally, I would have told myself to evaluate my financial situation, and to become more involved with the processes of money, such as loans borrowing. Simply, I wish I had been more educated in choosing the path to my "education."

People who want to attend a small school or have small classes.

Mary

My schools is large, underestimated, and well-equiped.

My schools is large, underestimated, and well-equiped.

They mostly know what they want and where they are going, but there are many that make me wonder why are they even here.

When I came to college, I was scared. I knew that the transition would be hard, and that it wouldn't be anything like the high school life I was used to. I think the most important thing I would tell my past self is that it isn't as bad as you thing it going to be. Sure its scarry to be on your own, and you're going to miss home and our pets, and our huge bed, but we are going to make new friends, get a fantastic job, get grades that were just as good as the ones we got in high school, and try all new things. Branching out like we will have to is hard and a daunting task when you think about it, but its something we really need to grow as a person and its going to be a lot more fun than it seems right now. So basically, I would tell myself not to freak out. Things are going to be okay if you just keep flying.

I would give myself the advice of really pushing to get that high honor role status and keep up the motivation all throughout the year. For one, it feels wonderful to recieve that award and secondly, colleges really like that motivation in a student. I would also tell myself to not be afraid to try new things and stick with them. I would have told myself to not focus on the negatives that will come in the next year the a large university in a state far away. I would have told myself that its okay to be homesick and that i wouldnt regret staying in the furture. If future me didnt listen, i would tell myself that transfering is okay, and that when i do it it will be difficult. In the end, i would say, everything will be alright and i will succeed wherever i go. Just keep pushing onward and reach those high goals.

The University of New Hampshire is a very student friendly school. The campus is very easy to get around and if you happen to get lost or need to know where you are going , any of the students walking around would be more than willing to help direct you. The professors at the University are also extremly helpful and truly care about your success as a student. They are always available during their office hours and more than willing to help you succeed.

Because I was a transfer student, it is hard to know who to talk to about becomming more involved in the university. The transfer day was also very difficult because i had never been to the UNH campus before and it was apparent that mst of the other students had been. was unsure of where to go at first but luckily i found a friend of mine to help me out. Being a transfer student at any school is hard, so i hadnt expected to know everything once i got to UNH.

The University of New Hampshire offers a unique five-year education program. A student completes a four-year undergraduate program and earns a degree, and, if accepted to the graduate program, completes an internship at a participating school and co-teaches a class. After successfully completing the internship, the student earns a master's degree and a teaching certification. The five-year option was an attractive aspect of the university because it saves money as opposed to attending a two- or four-year graduate program.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to base my college decision on the important things in life. I would tell myself to attend a school where I feel comfortable to be myself and where I can reach my full potential. I would tell myself to choose a school that does not cost a lot of money for many reasons: so that Dad can take more than a day off here and there to be home and to stay healthy; so Mum has the money to quit her waitressing job and open the restaurant she has always wanted to; so that I can save more of the money I make at work to help pay for life after college and to try new things. I would tell myself to attend a school close to home in order to spend more time with my family, but also a school that offers opportunities to explore. I would tell myself to attend a school that is not an end within itself, but which is a means to an end, one that teaches how to build a happy life.

The University of New Hampshire is suited to many different types of people, so it is difficult to describe a person that should not attend the university. A person who is more suited to a small school population and who wants classes with under fifty students each year should not attend this university.

Brandon

An exciting atmosphere filled with friendly people and teachers willing to help you at any moment of the day.

The University of New Hampshire is best known for its beautiful scenery, D1 Hockey and kinestology majors. All around campus, whether it is fall, winter, or spring, the scenery is captivating. The brick buildings around campus give it a unique feel and is very welcoming. When the weather becomes cold and snow begins to fall, the campus lights up and is quite a site to see. For sports, Hockey is huge. The games are intense and are filled with an exciting atomsphere. The student section is alive and entertaining. Lastly, Kinestology is highly known and respected here at UNH.

“WAKE UP! What are you waiting for? There are so many scholarships out there that you could be applying for! Don’t slack now! Time is ticking fast!” These would be the first few sentences that I would lecture to myself. I never did realize the importance of applying to as many scholarships as possible until it was too late. The value of a single scholarship can easily be overlooked by a paper or response that’s required. This perspective is pure laziness and unfortunately, the exact attitude I fell into senior year. I was too lazy to look into scholarships that could have saved me thousands of dollars and is something I still regret today. Looking back now I would tell myself to take those opportunities that could have benefited me more significantly. I would tell myself to be careful, to not mess around in college, and to take in as much as possible. Time is something that no one on this Earth can get back. It's the most valuable thing. So take time to study hard, make good decisions, and apply to as many scholarships as possible. Don’t miss out on the opportunity scholarships provide.

Govinda

This is a really friendly college where everyone is always happy and seemed to be enjoying what they are doing around the campus. whereever I see students, they are always working together collaboratively and I assure you: you will not feel left out when you are here. We have the strong bond between student, we always want to work together and make the college experience better than anywhere it could be. The beauty around our school and the sense of acceptence in everyones mind is the best thing that UNH is known for. Thats why we are called WILDCATS.!!!

In this response i am using YOU to describe and advise myself!: You are doing great, keep doing it. The information that you recieve in your senior year is very vital and very true aswell. Dont get your counselors and teachers wrong, they are there to help and whatever they advised is very important. Dont get mad with your teachers when they cut off your points on a late assignment because in college thats not even possible: if your assignment is late than its not accpetable. Be ready to put lots of effort. You cant study a night before the exam and possibly know everything and get good grades on it. Make a habbit of studying little bit everyday and getting ready for anykinds of assesments. Dont overwhelm, its better than what you expect to be but you just need to put some effort to make it the best as it can be! Again dont overwhelm yourself, what you are doing is great and thats a start to the next step of your college life!

If you are someone who is friendly and ready to explore and have the best college experience, you should definately attend the University of New Hampshire. If you are someone who is ready to learn and explore uncountable major or study options, you will greatly fit in aswell. Anyone can fit here, if you are willing to put the effort and make friends with great wildcat bodies. If you want to have fun while you are taking time to study you should also attend UNH, friday night hockey game: cheering up and seeing UNH winning is the best!!!

It's like looking into a foggy mirror. As I think of myself as a high school senior there was still so much I needed to learn. I was focused on having fun. I was fearful of leaving home. I let my friends make the majority of my decisions. I wasn't ready to handle the so called "real world"; but I needed to step out of my comfort zone. The advice I would give my near adult hood self would be to realize whats truly important in life. Education, family, being self reliant, choosing to be happy despite our circumstances, those are the things that would matter in the end. I had this false conception that I had to fill my life with things and people who made my life enjoyable for a matter of a few hours. When in reality I was just digging myself into a deep whole of unaccomplished dreams. I would tell myself to not be fearful of change because its shapes us into a contributing member of society. To go out and work hard and one day you will accomplish all you've dreamed.

Sydney

The first thing most people think of when they hear about The University of New Hampshire is hockey. Our hockey team is one of the best in their division and they are usually nationally ranked. Home hockey games are loud and spirited, the support is really phenomenal. Year after year the skill level displayed by the hockey team hardly wavers. They are a very stable team in terms of success, which kind of speaks for the school itself. While hockey may be big here, the spirit and camaraderie of the students reverberates into everyday life on campus.

If I could talk to myself as a high shool senior I would tell myself to calm down and take a breath. Don't arrive at college and jump into everything, give yourself time. Believe it or not, it's harder to have a full schedule with clubs and sports in college than it is in high school. Give yourself time to adjust, it's not easy to adapt in a week or so. Don't panic if you don't have as many friends as you used to. You don't see everyone all day in college, we all have vastly different schedules. Say hi to that stranger, just please do it. If it doesn't make their day and they think you're weird, who cares? There are no appearances to keep up with in college, some people like ice cream on their hot dogs and that's okay. I know everyone says this, but get to know at least one professor, seriously. You'll never guess how many interesting stories they have or how much they can teach you in one conversation. Lastly, I want you to accept yourself because that's who you're here for.

In my experience the worst thing about UNH is the adding and dropping classes system. Signing up for classes in the first place is an easy enough task, but it gets really complicated when you decide to add or drop one. The student is required to go to the specific class they want to add and get a signature from the professor; but there's no way to know if the class is full so the student ends up running around to find a class with room that fits into their schedule. That is, if there are any.

Michelle

I would try to get to know more people. I kinda of hung around with the same people in high school. At UNH, I have joined different clubs and tried out for a few that I didn't make. The experience has been world changing to think of some people in high school that I maybe could have gotten to know better. I am more confident going up to people at club meeting or just people in general.

The overall atmosphere and the countless activites to involve yourself in...The academic life is challenging but not overwhelming.

Someone who is low key yet likes to get involved with campus life . There are so many activities and clubs to join and the campus is a great place to learn

University of New Hampshire-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.