Durham, NH
University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

Michelle

I would try to get to know more people. I kinda of hung around with the same people in high school. At UNH, I have joined different clubs and tried out for a few that I didn't make. The experience has been world changing to think of some people in high school that I maybe could have gotten to know better. I am more confident going up to people at club meeting or just people in general.

The overall atmosphere and the countless activites to involve yourself in...The academic life is challenging but not overwhelming.

Someone who is low key yet likes to get involved with campus life . There are so many activities and clubs to join and the campus is a great place to learn

Aida

Very rewarding experience if you make yourself availble to get out there and meet people.

They are friendly and for the most part non-judgemental.

The best advice I have always received from my Father and reiterated by my middle school teacher is simply, never assume. Those are the same words I would advise myself as a high school senior. This would entail making sure to have all your ducks in a row and read every single piece of information you can. The college experience is optimized when you are aware of all your opportunities, academic and extracurricular. Learning is not limited to the classroom. Do not assume you will get informed about all the opportunities and find them yourself. That being said, the most rewarding and beneficial experiences come when you least expect it. If you are making the effort to get the most of it the opportunities will come. The transition goes smoothly with a good attitude and willingness to find something new. College helps you understand yourself and it is important from the start not to be afraid to look in the mirror. I reflect back on my experience positively because I allowed myself to learn more than what is in the books and I advise you to do the same.

Ashlyn

I believe my school is best known for its' success in many sports. The hockey team imparticular made the University of New Hampshire very popular as it was in the top five hockey teams of the nation. By having such successful sports it encourages the students of the campus and also outsiders to come and be apart of the experience of athletics. It brings the school together as we support our fellow classmates/friends in their competition.

If I could pass a message to my high school senior self it would be to search for scholarships and grants sooner. By looking earlier in the year your options are wider as deadlines vary greatly from one scholarship program to another. One of the biggest frustrations in school is figuring out how to afford to pay for the large tuition bill. Having more financial aid would allow for the school year to be more enjoyable instead of having to work as much as possible to be able to pay for the textbooks, tuition, and other fees that come with being a college student in todays world. Though it may seem near impossible to pay for college, I want to pass the message it is possible, just seek help from guidance counselors, teachers, people who have been through college, and the internet to find sources to help you be successful and be able to earn a college degree.

The best asset that the University of New Hampshire campus has for me is a wide variety of new people to meet. I came from a smaller high school with only 100 in my graduating class, and going to a division 1 college has helped me tremendously. By meeting/being exposed to so many new people I've learned better social skills and have become more accepting of the differences in people.

Sacha

UNH is big and fun, fairly easy to get around - on and off campus; good food, good people who believe in themselves and their school.

Mostly friendly, helpful people who enjoy meeting new people; know how to party but can get work done too; a lot of wealthier students as well however there are the fair share of non wealthy students; very diverse group of people who come together in the name of the Wildcats.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I could spend hours talking about all the lessons I've learned and how much I've grown up. I would tell myself, "Sacha, take more time for yourself. Stay focused on your studies and expand your social group. Go to the sports game and have lots of fun at prom - go with the girls! Work hard but have more fun, make memories. But remember to keep the grades up, hard work pays off. Don't make your life all about one person, spread your love to others who need it too - especially to yourself. Definitely save your money! You're going to need it and there's no need to spend on stupid things now that you already know you don't need! You're going to be alright, just remember to stay true to yourself and you'll be even better." There is so much more I could say to myself if I could only go back, but those are a few of the important things I would really want at the top of the list.

Monica

UNH is a great school for anyone majoring in Engineering, Business, Nursing, Pre-med, Computer science, etc. However, for students who come to the school Undecided or are majoring in English or one of the soft sciences, it might not be worth it. I will certainly miss UNH, but I have to do what's best for me career-wise, and as an English major looking to make it in the publishing world, UNH did not have much to offer (ex. the campus is in a small town in New Hampshire, so it lacks internship oppurtunites with publishing companies).

It may seem like commuting from home is the best choice financially, but trust me: live on campus. It’s the best way to make the most of all the free resources that are provided to you through paying for your tuition. You’ll get the most for your dollar, as well as getting the most out of the college experience. Never again will you have as many resources available and catered towards you within walking distance, or automatically live in a community of peers who are in the same situation as you and going through the same things.

College isn’t just meant to give you an education and a degree. You'll get the most for your dollar and the most out of your college experience by living on campus. Check out all the clubs and activities you are even remotely interested in: the intramurals, greek life, multicultural clubs, the hiking club, the muffin club (and there will be some crazy/awesome ones like this), whatever. Go to the gym, use the athletic facilities, take the free aerobics classes. Watch free films in the theater. Go to parties with friends, and meet new ones. Come junior year, start searching for internships. Use the career center to help you find them, to assist you in producing a killer resume and cover letter, and much more. Get a work-study job and scour the internet for grants and scholarships (the financial aid office can help you with this, as well). ALL FREE AND WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE. It all comes down to being proactive and putting yourself out there as much as possible. It took me two wasted years commuting from home to figure this out, so, please, don’t make the same mistake your future self already did.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would remind myself that everything takes time, and to remember there's a reason people attend college. Entering a university such as UNH can be overwhelming and it takes time for friends to develope. Don't lose hope or sight of who you are. There are so many different types of people on campus that will appreciate you for yourself. With that being said, remember that you're here to learn. College is the most expensive piece of paper you will ever buy; make the most of it. Pay attention in class, go to bed early if you have an exam, and stay in some nights as a refresher. Your body will thank you. Don't get caught up "partying" the first few years; when graduation rolls around, people will want that Honors cord. Also, invest in relationships with your professors, try something new, and go after an internship - your resume and references will get you a job senior year when everyone starts freaking out about "the end." Save your money, you'll need it. And make memories you'll always want to remember.

Any person can attend UNH. There is a large variety of people, clubs, etc. where everyone can feel welcome. There is a strong population of Business, Engineering, Teaching, and Environmental students at this campus. However, the smaller your major, the closer students tend to be with one another. The campus is large, but manageable, however, it is not for the city-slicker type; Durham is a rural community. I find that it is easier for students living on campus to make friends rather than commuters.

The first thing that comes to mind is the social life at UNH. There is a lot to offer if you're a party-goer, a bar-hopper, someone who is into more wholesome fun, gamers, etc. Weekends tend to be what everyone looks forward to because it offers the largest opportunity to everyone to socialize in their own way and create memories.

Cathryn

The size. We are on the smaller side for a state university and I think this makes it more of a community, despite being a big school.

Stop worrying. I know all you can think about is finding the school that is the perfect fit for you. The reality of it is that no school will ever be the perfect fit. No matter what school you choose you will go through a period of adjustment. You might feel uncomfortable and out of your element for a while, but this is natural. You will make choices about who you want to be and what you want to do and soon enough you will find your niche at whatever school you choose. Don’t be afraid that who you are is not good enough in the “college world.” There are wide ranges of people at school, some of whom will become your best friends. Everyone will be going through the same adjustment period that you do, so you will never be alone in your struggles. Stop thinking so much about the future. Instead, use this time to appreciate your friends and family at home. No matter what, utilize and value your time. Time spent worrying is not time well spent, for things will naturally fall into place eventually.

Everyone here is very similar. In some ways, this is a good thing because we all can relate to each other. However you don't meet a wide range of people with a wide range of interests.

Mckenzie

UNH is an a beautiful school engrossed with many fun, exciting and educational oppurtunities for everyone.

If I could tell my high school senior self anything, it would be to save my money better, and appreciate the last year of high school as much as possible. As a senior I knew college was expensive, but I didn't really think it would be all that bad. I was wrong. I wish I had saved my money better and been more responsible so I could help my parents out with the costs more. I would tell myself to smarten up and pick up some hours at work because you're going to regret being lazy during the summer. I would also tell my highschool self to relax and enjoy my last year for what it is worth. As a senior, I couldn't wait to just graduate and move on in life. Now that I'm in college, I realized that I should have appreciated the small amount of responsibilites I had. I would tell myself that growing up isn't all it's cracked up to be, so enjoy these times while you can. Even though getting older has its benefits, it also has its drawbacks. So enjoy this last year!

UNH is a college for all types of people. Someone attending this should not mind the snow and walking around alot. They should be involved in their community and work well with others. They should realize the importance of their education and take it seriously. They should be able to deal with partying, even if they don't like going out themselves. They should DEFINITELY like hockey, it's a big deal. Overall, they should be an active, friendly and involved person who wants to do something great with their life.

Molly

Very friendly and diverse, allowing students from many different places with many different interests to attend and feel like they fit in.

Their hockey and football teams along with the bsuiness program that we have and the social atmosphere.

I would tell myself to go with my gut. I knew that I wanted to do something in business and then did something completely different and my grades ended up suffering from it and now, two years later, I am still struggling to get my GPA back where I would like it to be. I would also tell myself to get involved earlier. I made a great group of friends my first year and then didn't really try to expand past those initial few. In the spring semester my sophomore year I decided to join a sorority and it was one of the best decisions that I could have made. Although I still have these great friends, I just made so many friends and feel so much more engaged and involved on campus and it is just a rewarding feeling. I know that greek life isn't for everyone so I just encourage everyone to get involved in something that they enjoy, whether it be a club or organization or intramural or a greek chapter. it will just really make your college experience the most worthwhile that it possibly could be.

Erica

UNH is a great university that provides many opportunities to its students. My favorite thing about the school is the quality of the professors. I have never met a professor who was not completely passionate about his/her subject, or did not show the utmost respect for students. I spend the majority of my time on campus in Dimond library, as it has a place for everything I need: quiet study, computer rooms, collaboration areas for group projects, and a cafe that serves great coffee. My biggest complaint about the university is that there is not enough parking for commuters like me. Sometimes you have to stalk people in the parking lot in order to get a spot. Overall this university excels in most of the areas important to me: variety of classes, great professors, beautiful campus, and diverse student body.

What's the Greek scene like?

While I'm not personally involved in Greek life, several of my classmates are. The people involved in Greek life are very tight-knit within their respective sororities and fraternities. Many of the houses throw parties during the weekends, some are open parties and some are invite only.

What are your classes like?

As an English major, most of my classes are small. I enjoy the smaller groups because there are more opportunities to get to know my classmates and my professors. I learn a lot in short periods of time, but there is always downtime to chat with classmates about things other than school.

Tell us about your professors.

I have never had a "bad" professor at UNH. All of mine have been highly qualified educators who always make time for their students. They expect a lot from you, but if you make it into UNH then what they expect is not above reason.

The biggest shock that most college students face during their first semester is the work load. When the professors hand out the syllabi during the first day the number of reading, assignments, and exams can be very intimidating. Take a deep breath, and tackle one task at a time. Another issue is that many freshman are stuck in the highschool mindset that teachers will hound you for assignments and remind you when they're due. This is often not the case. Follow the syllabus, and pay attention in class, because the professor can add assignments or change around due dates. The key to success is to stay organized and focused.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

My favorite place to get work done on campus is in Dimond Library. There are several computers if you need them, and many comfy chairs if you have to catch up on some reading. My favorite places in the library are the silent study rooms, there are tons of individual desks and long tables to do work on, and there are even a few couches to sit on while reading.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Before transferring to UNH I attended Great Bay Community College. I knew that the credits from Great Bay would easily transfer, and I also knew that UNH had a great English program. My best friend, who is two years older than me, went to Great Bay for two years and then transferred to UNH. The great experience that she had at UNH is what sold me on attending this school. It made the most financial sense for me, had great reviews from my friend, and ended up being the perfect school.

Many people make friends with their classmates, as the class itself serves as an icebreaker. Dorming is also a fantastic way to meet friends. Roomates and people in the same dorm building will go out to dinner together, or just hang out in the common room. The doors to dormrooms aren't always open, but most have a dry erase board for people to leave notes if they're not at home. UNH hockey is probably the biggest athletic event. Students and faculty are not the only people to attend; alumni and people from all over New Hampshire love a good Wildcats game. On the weekend many students can be found relaxing with friends at some of the bars in downtown Durham.

New Hampshire's population is predominantly white, but I have taken classes with people of all ethnicities. This school has students from all walks of life. There are poor students, rich students, homosexual students, heterosexual students, and even a few foreign students. The diverse student body adds to the learning experience one is supposed to get from college. I have learned a lot about who I am and who I want to be by talking with classmates from a completely different culture from my own.

As an English major, most of my classes are small, with about 25-30 students. This small class size is great for individual learning, because the instructor has more time to connect with every student. Each of my professors know my name by the end of the first month of school. The small class size also allow students to get to know one another. My favorite class was Shakespearean Tragedy, which I took in the Spring of 2011. One day our professor had to miss class and asked that we consider some questions in order to better prepare for the next class. Instead of skipping the class our professor would miss, every single student showed up so we could all discuss the questions together. It is one of the best in class memories I have from UNH.

The main stereotype about UNH students is that we party all of the time. This is not an accurate stereotype, as there are many students who would rather study than play beer pong.

University of New Hampshire-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.