Durham, NH
University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

I really like UNH because you can pretty much walk to everything you need. I think the school is the perfect size. I spend most of my time at the Field House because of my major, Athletic Training.

I dont think any kind of student would feel out of place at the dining hall. Most students wear sweatpants and sweatshirts to early morning classes.

My professors all know my name but I dont have any lectures this semester. Those are the classe where the professors dont know your name. It depends on the student how often they study. I see my professors out of class all the time because of my clinical experience.

Sometimes students in dorms leave their doors open to chat with other residents. Football and Hockey are the most popular athletic events. Some people party 2-4 times a week others rarely do.

That everyone who goes here parties because we are the top 7th party school in the nation.

The best thing about UNH is that the campus is basically the town. You feel safe, secure, and a part of a community. I would have more diversity if I couldt change anything and for it to stop being so cold!!! I think that UNH has the perfect amount of students (around 11,000 undergrads). School pride is mostly shown through football games in the fall and hockey in the winter. The stadium and arena are guaranteed packed venues.

UGGS, puffy jackets, spandex, sweatshirts are the attire 3/4 of the girls on this campus wear to class. Weekend nights are for dressing up. Most boys dress in the preppy, casual look.

I believe they are. While I am not involved in the Greek system, I have numerous friends who are and drinking 3-4 times a week is not even a question.

The higher level courses have less people in them. The lecture classes can have upwards of 300 people which is nice for certain subjects. Being an English major, I am prone to having smaller discussion run classes. My lecture classes were all for my gen ed classes. I rarely ever study and find that procrastination is my worst enemy. I have met with my professors on need based basis and have never had a problem with one professor at UNH. I feel as if I am more learning in my classes than being prepared for the outside world or a career in the English field.

The most popular groups are the sports teams and Greek system. Fraternities are always having parties and it isn't uncommon to go to the football house on a Saturday night to party. Tuesday and Thursday nights are huge bar nights on campus. Friday's are often dull and left to recover from the previous nights festivities. The MUB has a theater that often shows movies at discounted prices of $2 for movies that have yet to be released on DVD. That is one alternative to partake in on the weekends and hockey games start around 7pm and are guaranteed a great time. Living off campus, I feel as if I'm more disconnected from other events on campus but I know there is always flyers and emails informing students about campus events.

UNH is a non-diverse campus that is known nationwide for its Whittemore school of business. A large portion of the campus is involved in the Greek system and UNH students aren't afraid to party.

Kristin

UNH was my safety school and was never my first choice. My older sister, both parents, and a few aunts and uncles all went here, and I sort of felt like "been there, done that." I had always thought of it as just the state school and nothing special, so when money reasons made me come to UNH, I wasn't completely thrilled. However, I am really glad that I ended up coming here. UNH is fairly big, but small enough that I feel comfortable here. Durham is tiny, but there are enough things in the area that it doesn't feel like there's never anything to do. The professors are actually really great, and the dining halls are pretty good too. (Whenever my friends from other schools visit, they remark on how nice the dining halls.) Overall, I think coming to UNH was a good decision for me.

The majority of UNH students are white New Hampshire natives. Having said that, there is a good amount of diversity for being in NH; the MUB has flags for every country represented at UNH and I'm always surprised by how many there are.

To an extent, yes. It's not quite as bad as the stereotypes make it seem, but the majority of students are white and preppy.

As a second semester sophomore, I have only had two classes so far of over 40 people. I think part of this is due to the fact that I'm an English major, but whatever the reason, it's been great. My professors have gotten to know me, and all of them have been very accessible outside of class. For me, the transition to college schoolwork was pretty easy. Freshman year especially- I felt like my AP classes senior year of high school were harder than my freshman classes. The way college classes are set up gives you so much more free time than in high school, and I really like that a lot because I can budget my time whenever I want to to get my work done.

That everyone is really preppy and that there's no diversity.

People at UNH party a lot, but there are always plenty of other things to do if you aren't into that scene. I'm not much of a drinker myself, but most weekends the MUB has various events going on. They have two $2 movies playing every week (ones that are out of movie theaters but not yet on DVD), and there have been magicians, musicians, comedians, and other free events on various weekends, too.

UNH is amazing. It is just big enough to meet somebody new everyday, but small enough that you can hang out with your own clique if you want to. I was the only person from my graduating high school class to go to UNH. It was great coming by myself, because that way I knew I would have to meet new people and not just depend on high school friends. People think UNH was a random school for me, but when I go home over break, I'm the only one bragging about my school. None of my friends love their school the way I do. The best things about UNH are the campus, and the people. The campus looks like something from a postcard in the fall. You know you're at a New England school when, in the winter, people ski across campus and build snowboarding jumps all over the place. During the warmer seasons, a lot of people spend their time outside. Some professors even opt to teach their classes outside on the really nice days. UNH has a lot of pride, especially when it comes to our sports teams! We're a huge hockey school and there is definitely a feeling of competition in the air when schools like U.Maine come to town.

UNH is hugely diverse. When I walk to class everyday, I usually hear at least one different language being spoken. There are a lot of clubs on campus that include religious groups, LGBT groups, etc. I have not met a person here at school that can't find a niche to chill with. If there were four tables of students in the dining hall and I had to describe them, I couldn't. Usually athletes eat together, but not always. There are a lot of cliques that you wouldn't expect to see. UNH students come from all over- I'm personally representing MA. :) Students come from overseas, too. Financial backgrounds of students are very diverse, too. Some have received a full boat to come, others struggle to pay. However, UNH does give out a lot of money in scholarships. UNH is a primary state, and there are a lot of political science majors here. Almost all of the presidential candidates come through here at least once, so there is a lot of politically active/aware students. That doesn't mean, however, that YOU have to be politically active. You can just as easily avoid those people as join them.

UNH is stereotyped as a ridiculous party school.

For the most part, UNH is a pretty crazy party school (I heard we made #7 on the Princeton Review!). If you aren't into that kind of thing, however, I have never seen a school with more alternative activities. There are so many different things going on at UNH on a typical weekend, that if you do not want to join in partying, there would be a long list of other things to do. From what I have seen and heard, we deserve that spot on the Princeton Review!

A lot of students at UNH participate in sports one way or another. Intermurals are huge here. Broomball is a favorite- it's where you run around on the ice in your sneakers and try to get a ball in the net. Athletic events are pretty popular, especially our hockey games. There are over 200 clubs on campus, and UNH says that as long as you have people to join your club, you can create your own. We have everything from musical groups to a club called "Extreme Grilling". We have a good amount of Greek life on campus. Personally, I met my best friends by living in the dorms together. There are so many different kinds of people on campus that you almost have to try to NOT make friends. A typical weekend for me consists of going out to parties and hanging out with friends. There are a lot of events on campus if you do not like to go out and drink. We have a lot of comedians and musicians come through here. A lot of people stay on campus for the weekends.

There are a variety of classes at UNH. I've heard amazing stories, and some horror stories about kids hating classes. Coming in as a freshman, you will have to take some larger lecture classes, but I like them. You can sit in the back and pass out, or you can choose to listen. Most of the material is interesting, because you can finally pick to study something that you want to, whereas in high school you're forced to take classes that you'd rather die than to go to. A lot of professors give out their personal information so you can reach them whenever. Most professors make a valiant effort to get to know their students. Of course there are general education requirements, but there are a lot of ways to pass them. If you're not a science person, you can take classes like "Germs" and "Making Babies" that do not have labs. A lot of people study here. People here are pretty competitive when it comes to school, especially in the business school. The huge difference concerning academics that differs from high school, is that you only get out of it what you put in. You can choose not to do your work, but then you realize you're paying a crazy amount of money to fail. Students seem to understand this right away. I am a Communications/International Affairs major. The communications major is pretty common here. As an IA major, I love seeing the different kinds of professors I get. I had one from Russia, one from Greece, and one who was an ambassador for a country, who spoke several languages. All professors have office hours or you can call to sit down at a different time. I've even heard of professors having pasta dinners before finals! The education at UNH is geared toward learning AND getting a job. There is a lot of academic advising and tutoring places if you're having any trouble. The Hood House has plenty of references if you need help getting jobs. They review resumes, have internship/career fairs, and mock interview days.

University of New Hampshire-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.