University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

This student body tries to be very diverse and seems to be very accepting. Students seem to interact well when in classes but then outside of classes all the teams and clubs seem to stay mostly within their own groups. I dont think anyone would feel out of place at UNH. I feel like it is a big enough school that most people would be able to find their own friends and groups have associate with. There are a lot of students that are very politically aware on this campus and they like to all work together around campus. Some people get dressed very nicely for every class as if they were going to a job interview, but most people just wear scrubs or jeans and hoodies because we have what seems like a long and cold and wet winter.

I do not think any students would feel out of place at UNH. We are truly a melting pot of cultures, backgrounds, and socio-economic classes. From wherever you come from or whatever your story is, a friend can be found at UNH. I think that by going to a public university, financial backgrounds are not important. Yes, there will always be people who have more money than others, but here it's not really an issue. There are so many multiculturalism groups, religious organizations, and clubs that support LGBT causes. There is truly a little bit of everything for any type of student. Any sort of discrimination is not tolerated and is taken seriously if an incident does occur.

There is severe lacking in non-minority groups on campus. Students would feel out of place at UNH if they were a nationality outside of caucasion, were LGBT, or of a low sociol-economic status. Most students wear sweatpants, jeans, sweatshits and or T-shirts to class. Different types of students interact but I feel as though there are several groups that don't gravitate outside of their own comfort levels. Frat brothers, Soroity sisters, diligent students, athletic students. Most UNH students are from New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Middle to upper middle class backgrounds are most prevelant. Many students seem to be politically aware. Students seem to be predominantly center.

If I had an 8am class I would be there in my pajamas, as would a large majority of the students. Take a look at campus and you'll see people everywhere rocking a UNH hoodie (the go-to outfit), unless they belong to Greek life, then it will be containing their Greek letters. People dress casually for class unless they have presentations, in which case they will try to look nice with black pants or a nice sweater (rare). There is such a wide variety of students that place importance on such different things that I can't imagine anyone ever feeling out of place at UNH. There is legitimately something and a place for everyone with people who feel the same way too.

The student body is trying harder to get the word out about diversity and acceptance, but there are still a lot of close-minded people around campus. It's hard to accept diversity when you have very little to go as an example. It's also hard to get involved in these groups unless you're a minority in some way. Most people I think feel awkward to join a LGBT group unless they're LGBT, and the same goes for the Black Student Union and other similar groups. Most students on campus seem to be upper middle-class, but there are many exceptions. It varies since it's a public school, but most students don't seem to be struggling for money.

UNH has a pretty homogeneous population. The average UNH student can be spotted walking to class in blue jeans, flip-flops, a UNH or Greek letter sweatshirt, iPod earbuds intact with a shoulder-bag to carry books. A great deal of students wear sweatpants and baseball caps to class... if for any reason anyone is dressed up more than this, they are usually stared at and questioned, or are assumed to be giving a presentation in one of their classes. It may actually be physically impossible for girls to wear heels while walking around campus due to the terrain of the rocky trails leading to different buildings. Most students are white.

I am friends with so many different types of people and I love that. Many students just roll out of bed in sweats to go to class. You don't ever need to dress up; I always just wear some comfy pants and a sweatshirt usually. If you had a presentation or something, then it would be appropriate to look nice. I don't think anyone could feel out of place because there are so many different people that they are bound to make friends with interests like their own. Maybe if someone really didn't like the idea of a big school they might feel out of place, but it really doesn't feel as huge as everyone makes it out to.

I do not feel I am exposed to a very diverse population at UNH but, again, as a nursing major I am basically only exposed to the people in my own senior class. This class includes only three males and about 73 females. Most of the time students wear jeans and sweatshirts to class. Most of the people in the our class have gotten relatively close over the past couple of years, nursing seems to have helped us bond. I feel as though I am unable to describe four tables in the dining hall because it feels as though it has been so long since I have interacted with people other than those in my major.

This campus is very large, about 15,000 students all together so it is easy to feel a little lost. What I have found so far is that no matter where you are on campus people are always really friendly, holding doors and saying hello. I always see tons of kids in the library doing home work, or outside playing frisbee. I have had the experience of working with upperclassmen, and freshman. Everyone here is generally nice and smart which shows UNH is a competative school. I feel lucky to have a large pool of classmates to experience college with.

I feel like the students here are very open minded and excepting but there is not the biggest amount of diversity. I dont think many people would feel out of place. There are a bunch of different groups and clubs where you could meet people that have the same interests as someone new. Different types of students do interact especially in classes but mostly stay with their friends during free time. Most UNH students seem to be from somewhere in New England. Some students are politically aware and some are not involved at all.