University of New Hampshire-Main Campus Top Questions

Krista

After UNH ended up in the top ten of the party school list, reactions were mixed. A lot of students were psyched (one kid even started selling t-shirts with "#7" printed on the back). Other students, like the ones who organize alcohol free weekend activities, were disappointed. And then there were the kids who were just plain confused. When it comes to partying, the UNH administration is actually pretty strict. Before coming here, I imagined kids taking shots in dorm hallways and walking around with beer bottles in their hands. It isn't like that. There is no such thing as a party in a dorm. Getting caught drinking doesn't just earn you a slap on the wrist. It can get you kicked out of housing. I've visited friends at schools where kids were doing kegstands in quads. It blew my mind because I've never seen anything like that at UNH. Of course there are plenty of parties on the weekends (though frats don't let just anyone in-you have to either know someone or be female and showing some skin) and plenty of people who do drink every night of the week. But the thing is, if you're looking to come to UNH because you think every building is going to be a house party, you're going to be disappointed. I've met people who have said to me, "Oh, you go to UNH. It must crazy there!" I guess they assume that we can do whatever we want, wherever we want. The reality is, my friends and I drink quietly in our dorms before we go out to a party where we're sure we won't get caught. You can still have a great time, but you have to be more careful than you might think. I've lost count of the people I know who have been kicked out of dorms for drinking. On the upside of this, if you don't drink, or don't feel like drinking on a particular night, you're not going to be that nerdy kid hovered over a textbook while people spill beer on you. There are plenty of things to do (two on campus movie theaters, comedy shows, pool tables etc.) and plenty of people to do them with. That's the advantage to going to a big school; not everyone is the same, and not everyone wants to the same thing.

Caitlin

no

Caryn

yes

Somewhat

Brianna

Not at all, there are many types of people at UNH from all over.

Ryan

yes.

Kayla

Since being voted number seven party school in the nation, the stereotype is somewhat true,but alot of the student population doesnt drink or rarely drink.

candice

yes/no i dont think that we are any worse than any other campus but there obviosuly are parties

partially

Ryan

absolutely

Kaitlyn

UNH is definitly a place to party, but i think the sterotype is over- exaggerated.

Connie

yes

Kelly

no, not at all

Sandra

yes

Kirsten

In some way, yes.

Marisa

Some what.

Meghan

No I don't believe that these stereotypes are accurate. Most students are from Massachusetts in fact.

These stereotypes are very inaccurate. Every where you go you will find a "hick", or a cocky sports player or someone who loves to party. These kind of people are not the only ones who make up the population here at UNH.

Ryan

no

Bianca

yes

Alex

People don't pay attention to the good that frats and sororities bring to the campus and only pay attention to the negative things that happen with them. There are parties at UNH, but every school has a lot of partying. Not all UNH students drink a lot, some don't drink at all.

chelsea

I believe that they are accurate.

Jordan

There are some kids that apply to this stereotype but there are a wide variety of kids and I think anybody could find a group of friends that have similar interests as they do.

Danielle

I believe that the stereotypes listed above are somewhat accurate.

Kelly

somewhat

Carson

not necessarily, I believe that all schools have parties and the students participate in them, just not as much as people believe.

Brianna

Yes

Jillian

For some of the students

As for the parties, we obviously have them but I don't think really more than other large universities. And it is a big hockey school seeing as we are in the hockey east.

Abby

No, we are driven individuals who are focused on our academics and work toward philanthropic goals daily.

Carly

No, Greek life gets you involved around campus and in the Durham community, and is great for making friends and networking.

Kate

no

Virginia

No.

krista

no

Some what true.

Danielle

For the most part. Over the past 4 years I have been at UNH, the diversity on campus has definitely increased. Also, many people from my high school and surrounding area did go to school at UNH, however the campus community is large enough to not encounter them on a daily basis - it was not the 'High School Reunion'.

ALyssa

No, although some students go out once and a while most have there priorities in order.

Marya

no!

Juliann

Not 100 percent.

Morgan

nope

Kristin

No

no

Erica

No

kristin

no

christine

No. We party the same amount as any other college campus, we just get arrested more because UNH and Durham have very strict policies against drinking even if you are of age. UNH has done alot to prevent large parties, such as at Fraternities or block parties, which has considerably decreased much of the students partying to apartments or bars.

Meaghan

Stereotypes are never one hundred percent accurate because they are generalized statements; there are pot heads and liberals but not everyone is

not at all.

Erica

NOOOOOOOO - as a member of the greek community we have very little partying that we are allowed to do which has in years past got away with. Also I consider the education that i get at UNH to be a very good one and challenging to myself

Kristin

No! We have parties but not a ton of them and only some frat boys are jerks and only some sorority girls are mean

Jess

While there is partying going on and some drug use, it is not true for all students. There are many people I know that don't drink heavily, or even at all, and don't use drugs.