University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

Unwritten rule #1- Higher education is a lot of hard work. This is true at every college and university, including UNH. It takes a lot studying and determination, however when you have great professors and resources around every corner it makes the process more bearable and dare I say it, easier. UNH is a bigger university and as a tour guide on campus I get a lot of questions about class size. Despite the amount of students at UNH the class sizes are proportionally very small. There are some big lectures but even in those class rooms the professor usually knows your name. The professors are always willing to meet with you, talk about your grades and help you with anything. Chemistry and I do not get along, we are enemies. So going into freshmen year my spirits were not high about taking a full year of chemistry. When I stepped into the class room I realized that it wasnt going to be the vain of my exsistence. The professor started the class of by talking about how she knows a lot of people have trouble with chemistry but she was going to make herself available to make sure that we would know the material. That is just one example of hundreds. At UNH the professors truely care about each individual student performing well. A benefit to having so many students at the university is that there are so many classes to take, so many options to explore. I changed my major during my sophomore year because I took a class that changed my whole learning perspective, and during this switch my advisor was very helpful. The academics at UNH are hard, but that is to be expected. But choosing a school like UNH provides you with the opportunities to excel even when the going gets tough, or when midterms are upon you.

Because I have only participated in one academic program, I have a limited perspective. But my experience with academics has been more than outstanding. I am a Communication major and Greek minor. Through my studies, I have completed a wide variety of classes because of the General Education requirements as well as requirements for my major. As a freshman, I had both lecture style classes and small discussion based classes. It was a great mix and made it really easy for me to transition from a high school work load to college academics. My advisor was assigned to me through email during the first week of my freshman year. He is in the Communication department and has always been more than available to guide me through my experiences as a student. The most unique class I have taken was a General Education class called "Germs". It was an awesome class and taught me so much about everyday things that I use everyday. From the effects of hand sanitizer to where bottled water came from or even the general way the common cold gets spread around campus, I learned so much that can be used in the future. I think the education at UNH is definitely geared towards both having a solid and diverse academic understanding as well preparing us for a tough job market. I truly feel that the education I have received from UNH will not only prepare me intellectually, but for the tough job market ahead.

Many of my professors are familiar with my name. My favorite class is Sociology of fashion, and Sociological analysis. My least favorite class was Finite Mathematics. Students seem diligent about their studies, all resources for studying are packed for the most part. Class participation seems to be quite common among my classes smaller in size. I'm sad to report that I hear few intellectual conversations outside the class atmosphere, and some conversations inside the class atmosphere are lacking as well. Students seem to be competitive overall. Sociology of Fashion is the most unique class i've ever taken. I am extremely pleased with my department (sociology), the staff and faculty are dedicated and teach material effectively and with enthusiasm. I meet with professors outside of class once or more each semester. I'm confused on a few academic requirements, and feel as thought some are not applicable to my life, or have been covered previously, or in other courses. I enjoy UNHs less career oriented path. As a transfer student from a career oriented school, UNH offers a much broader approach to education and is giving me a much more well-rounded education, which seems to be helping me greatly in my personal and career knowledge.

Yes, all of my professors know my name. My major is very small though, as there are only about 25 people in my graduating senior class. My favorite class was film studies because it taught me about a topic that i would never have learned about otherwise. I think that students study a lot. The library is usually pretty full, especially around midterms and finals week. I love my major. It is a very close knit community and everyone knows each other. There are only three professors that teach most of the core curriculum so they have followed us through they years and by the time you get to be a senior, they know you very well which is helpful when you need advice about either grad school, a job, or an internship. I feel that they also would be able to write me a stronger recommendation because they know me much better than professors know their students in other majors. I think UNH's academic requirements are good, but they are too strict on study abroad credits. Many times, it is impossible to find an exact match of a course offered at UNH. I feel that similar classes in a certain area should be given credit for a specific gen ed, even if it doesnt exactly match one of UNH's gen eds.

In my classes, professors know your name since it's such a small major. There are only about 60 students in my grade in my major (mechanical engineering). The students work hard and work together for the most part, because you have to. The work is tough, and some students can get by, but you have to pull your weight to succeed and pass the classes. The classes are well taught, but are not spaced out well in my major. Also, the general education classes are usually extremely easy if you go to class and do a minimal amount of work. It's almost pathetic that we have to take some of them because I think most of the people that go here are capable of much more. Education at UNH is not, in general, geared toward getting a job, which is very frustrating. It's more focused to learning the basics and the techniques and skills needed, and getting a job comes with this. Career services is not helpful in giving students good opportunities for jobs or helping students choose the best company for them. Good internships are hard to come by with career services, and really only are found through knowing a contact within the company.

Academics at UNH are challenging yet interesting. There are a lot of different classes to take outside of your own major and I have had some great experiences in several different classes. My favorite class has been Casino Management, and Communication in the Workplace. My least favorite classes were Communication classes in the rhetoric area. Class participation is definitely common, I believe sometimes UNH students have intellectual conversations outside of class and that they are competitive about academics. I have not spent time with professors outside of class, even though I would like to. I believe the education at UNH is geared toward getting a job and learning for its own sake - depending on what class it is, some are geared toward one or the other.

As an English major, most of my classes are small, with about 25-30 students. This small class size is great for individual learning, because the instructor has more time to connect with every student. Each of my professors know my name by the end of the first month of school. The small class size also allow students to get to know one another. My favorite class was Shakespearean Tragedy, which I took in the Spring of 2011. One day our professor had to miss class and asked that we consider some questions in order to better prepare for the next class. Instead of skipping the class our professor would miss, every single student showed up so we could all discuss the questions together. It is one of the best in class memories I have from UNH.

It all depends on the classes you take. Most freshman level classes are large lectures where participation isn't stressed and the professors may not be able to remember everyone's name. However, they are ALWAYS available to meet you out of class if you are struggling. Every professor has "office hours," and all the professors I have ever come across actually care and want you to succeed and do well. As you get into higher level classes they shrink drastically, and your professors get to know you better. UNH has such unique classes including SCUBA, Casino Management, and even Wine Tasting. In the nutritional sciences major, every class I took prepared me for the next and ultimately my career.

Depending on major students study different amounts. The sciences and business students study the most I would say and the liberal arts and psychology dont need to study much. The professors are around outside of class, but I dont usually go see them unless i have a SERIOUS problem because sometimes they just make you more confused. Some students are very competitive and some really dont care but are able to stay just barely. My major is deffinitly very hard and the chem classes at this school are almost impossible. No matter how much i study i just cant do well enough, but its clearly not just me when an exam has to be given a scale of 24 points and a 50 becomes a C.

Some of the freshmen classes are very large but as you get into higher level classes they get smaller and there is always a TA that can help. The library gets very full and is open really late which is helpful, around finals and midterms though it is hard to find a place to study. Depending on the major some students are very competitive but in some majors they really are not and dont seem to do much school work. I dont usually spend time with the professors out of class unless I have had a serious problem. My major and department are very competitive. The sciences and the business schools are very hard.