University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

Anytime you tell someone that you are a student at UNH - whether prospective, enrolled, or alumni- you are guaranteed to hear one of three responses: 1. Have you been to a UNH Hockey game?! There's nothing like it. 2. Wait, what town is that in again? 3. I know someone who went there. They absolutely loved it. And they're right. But as much fun as it is to brag about the excitement of a hockey game, or to smile when people pretend they've heard of Durham, NH, that's not what being a student at UNH is all about. It comes down to that third response. Because whether you're a pre-vet major, a field hockey player, an aspiring member of the men's hockey team, or proudly undeclared, there is one thing that glues us all together: we love it here. Everyone knows the old saying, "you can't make everyone happy". Well UNH is a thriving contradiction that you can. The reason why everyone knows someone who loved UNH is because UNH creates an community where everyone finds a place and has potential to exceed. If you have no idea what major is right for you: take classes that interest you until you figure it out. If you were born to be a character from Animal House: join a fraternity. If you miss your A Cappella group from high school: join one of ours. If there isn't a club on campus for what you're looking for: start one. This is what life is like at UNH. Instead of following the path that is easiest to fit in, you find the place where you will shine and stand out. A few weeks ago I got coffee with some friends downtown. As we sat and talked about how our junior year was unfolding, I recognized a familiar face from across the cafe. It took me a few moments to realize I was looking at a professor of mine from freshman year. Considering it had taken me a few moments to recognize him, I assumed there was no way he could remember my face after having taught so many since mine. It was as soon as we made eye contact that he was walking over to greet me, wish me well, and to ask if I was still pursuing writing. I told him I was, but I didn't mention that I probably wouldn't be if it weren't for his class. Even though it only happened a few weeks ago I am confident I will never forget that moment, because it captures what UNH is all about. This education is so bigger than a classroom, or even a campus. It is about building real relationships, learning about yourself, working with others, and pursuing a life full of passion. Oh yeah- all while having the time of your life.

When I applying to colleges I was unsure of where I was going to end up, but I knew one thing......I was going to get out of New Hampshire. I originally had wanted to go to college in the city, get away from the small town life and rake in culture. I searched and search for my perfect college and when it came down to pick my college I pick the school 15 minutes away from my house, the University of New Hampshire. I wasnt particularly thrilled with my choice at first. All my friends were leaving the area and I felt like I was settling in a place that I already knew. WRONG! The second I got to UNH I knew this was the right place for me. There was so many new things to see and learn about, the types of poeple I was meeting were completely different from what I had been accustomed to seeing. I was blown away by the sense of school pride and the love that other students had for this school that I had once thought was not my scene. I was dead wrong! There is so much to do on this campus, so many opportunities and so much culture that I cant imagine going somewhere else. UNH is a great university where you will meet great friends and have great opportunities and learn a lot about yourself along the way.

The best thing about UNH for me is the location. It is only two hours away from my home which is far enough to be away, but not too far that I can't go home when i want to. One thing I'd change is the parking! There is nowhere to park on campus, especially the library. Many people spend long hours studying at the library and are there until it closes at 2am sometimes. A person should be able to drive home safely rather than walk home at 2am. I spend most of my time on campus at the field house (which is where my classes are located), the library, or my house. I like that there is a small college town. It's nice to be able to walk places, especially on the weekends. I have friends that go to bigger schools and always need to designate a DD when they go out. Since Durham is such a small college town, it allows students to walk everywhere, including the bars or house parties. I don't think there is that much school pride. Sometimes I wish I had gone to a school where sporting events were a much bigger deal than they are here. There are some people with a lot of school pride, but the majority don't have much of it.

I really enjoy the fact that my major (Recreation Management and Policy) is fairly small which allows for students to build relationships/friendships between other students and staff members. It is very beneficial to create these close knit relationships with professionals who can offer you so much guidance and support. I spend most of my time at work, home or in the library. A lot of the time I don't see the direct relationship between the Durham residence and the UNH community. I am from Plymouth which is another college town and my family/neighbors seem to always be interacting with the kids that live around us. I'm not sure why this is the case but I even see people not acknowledging each other in passing which is odd to me. The only reason I have developed better relationships with Durham residents is because I am invovled in a variety of activities (such as working the front desk at the tanning salon) that allow me to interact with them and get to know them a little bit better.

UNH is a great university that provides many opportunities to its students. My favorite thing about the school is the quality of the professors. I have never met a professor who was not completely passionate about his/her subject, or did not show the utmost respect for students. I spend the majority of my time on campus in Dimond library, as it has a place for everything I need: quiet study, computer rooms, collaboration areas for group projects, and a cafe that serves great coffee. My biggest complaint about the university is that there is not enough parking for commuters like me. Sometimes you have to stalk people in the parking lot in order to get a spot. Overall this university excels in most of the areas important to me: variety of classes, great professors, beautiful campus, and diverse student body.

A TON of fun. It has everything you could ever ask for. You could never ever be bored because there is always something going on. The mub has so many great events, there is a club for every kind of sport, you meet so many new people everywhere you go, the whit is really nice, UNH gets a lot of celebrities to visit for us which is awesome, and so much more. The buildings are all nice, and are always renovating and trying to make things better. There are a lot of very good professors, and very few that people tend not to like. The library is beautiful and the town of Durham is a good size for the school. There is a ton of school pride and people are always really impressed when I say that I go here. I am proud to tell people that I go to UNH, and I love telling people about how great it is here.

Being a student at UNH has been one of the greatest experiences thus far. UNH is located in Durham, NH. It is a quintessential New England college town. We have 4 beautiful seasons we get to experience. The crisp air of fall, the beautiful snow of winter, blossoming trees in spring, and the ability to go to the ocean when the weather gets warmer during summer. UNH has a great student body. It has a large population, but a small community field. It is the best of both worlds. With over two hundred student organizations, the ability to get involved is easy. After classes, I love to take a walk downtown with friends, it's only a short 3 minute walk, and grab a cup of coffee at a local coffee shop or grab a slice of pizza. It is here where I have made my lifelong friends.

I spend my time at school either in my apartment in the Gables or at the library. This is my last semester of nursing school so all my other time is spent at the hospital for clinical. I think the biggest recent controversy was the car stolen from C lot. I was shocked to hear it was stolen between 7:30am-11:30am. As it is I do not feel safe at all in the Gables parking lot at night, now we have to worry about things in daylight as well? If I could change one thing about UNH it would be adding more lighting around campus... ESPECIALLY IN THE GABLES PARKING LOT!!!! I have to get up really early in the morning and come back really late at night sometimes when it's so dark and it's scary to have to walk to the very back or park there when you can barely see.

The biggest thing on UNH campus is going to the hockey games or the football games. the school is pretty large but it is a small campus so even though there are a lot of people it is very easy to get to everywhere on campus. It is definitly in a college town but Durham is a safe town so it is nice. The down town area is filled with students but the people that live in the town support the college and the students and the sports a lot. there is a ton of school pride which is a reason why I came here. There are lots of student complaints about there not being any holidays or never getting snowdays when it is hard for the commuters to get to the school.

UNH is one of my favorite places to be. The campus is gorgeous- it illustrates exactly what New Hampshire is all about. In walking distance of most my classes there is a quaint downtown strip of small businesses and restaurants including a unique coffee house equipped with outdoor seating. I do believe that Durham is very much so a "college town", but that's what makes it so fun. My favorite timesof the year is in the spring when the weather starts to turn and students are spotted all over campus, throwing frisbees, running, taking walks and sunbathing in the quad; the campus comes alive.