University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

The campus is pretty. I wish Greek life was bigger. The school is just the right size. They are jealous because UNH is so fun. I spend most of my time in my sorority house. I do not really have an opinion of UNH's admn. Men walking around campus and sneaking into dorms. Yes there is a lot of school pride. No. My sorority and my sisters. Too much school work.

I think UNH's size is perfect. I thought I wanted a small private school during my college search, but after visiting here I decided totally against that. UNH has such a beautiful campus, and I'm always meeting new people. However, it doesn't seem overwhelmingly large at all, and I run into the same people everyday.

One thing I'd like to change about UNH is the parking situation. I think that size is just right, not to big and not to small. People who hear that I go to UNH for business know that this is a great school for business. I don't know much about the administration. Yes, there is alot of school pride.

UNH is a large school that by your senior year seems to be small. By the end of your time here you know so many faces and so many people that you forget just how big the school really is. I always get good responses when I tell people I go to UNH. Especially when I say that I am in WSBE.

Everyone at UNH just wants to have fun and have a good time but I think people know how to work hard and do well in school as well.

a lot of fun, hard to find parking, not to big, greek life is awesome, it is a college time that is a lot of fun

The best thing about UNH... is probably the weekend. I have had more fun during one random weekend being a UNH undergrad, then I had during all four years of my highschool days. The friends I have made here are amazing. They are incredibly wild, fun, and carefree. Every person here seems to know and value that these are our "last" four years- to be young, and careless. If I could change one thing- I would probably have a "how to guide" for freshmen as far as the academic advising goes. I've had waaay too many friends get dicked over by hidden prereq's and poor advice from professors that are not in proper communication with their departments. I would recommend that every new student goes into this school knowing its kind of large- and are motivated and determined to knock on their advisors door every chance they get- and stay on track academically. That being said, I personally feel that my school size is PERFECT. I come from a small town (high school was about 1,500 kids) so this school is small enough where you will see familiar faces (especially if you're put in one of the freshmen dorms), but large enough that if you make a couple mistakes, the gossip train isn't going to get right back to you. When I tell people I go to UNH, they obviously ask me if I go to the hockey games first (I've been to one)... but for the most part, people seem to have this glamorous idea in their heads. It feels pretty kickass to be able to have so much pride for going to such an awesome university. I spend most of my time at my residence, the gym, and then house parties/bars. Durham is straight up a college town- and NOTHING more. We have no food chains- Dunkins is off campus on your way out of town- and our equivalent to Walmart is a Rite Aid; however, if you have a car- or take advantage of the bus transportation- Dover and Portsmouth are awesome- and the beach is 20/30 minutes away. The Fox Run Mall blows- but Salem mall is 45 minutes away- and the Mall of New Hampshire is about 40 minutes away as well... oh- and the parking sucks. Plan on paying about $500 in bullshit parking tickets throughout your time here. $15.00 tickets if your meter runs out- $50.00 if you park in a lot without a permit- and $75.00 if you leave your car in any lot during the winter... if "Smittys" garage doesn't tow your ass first, for at least a $100 minimum. Despite the shitty parking, under-cover bullshit cops, overcrowded gym, etc... UNH is one in a million. HELL YES I have school pride. Drive by Cowell Stadium in the fall and witness the students decked out in UNH gear, slugging beers, and screaming in anticipation of the upcoming football game- and you wont be able to argue. Academically, I am walking away from this university with a full resume. I have had the opportunity to be a reasearch assistant, to be a teacher's assistant for a stats class, to do the honors program, i've taken extra courses every semester, and i've fostered incredibly close relationships with professors I plan on keeping a life long connection with. You get back, what you put in. If you want to come here and spend every school day skipping class, every night blacked out or drugged out, and every weekend a sloppy mess- you probably will- and you might walk away with a degree. But if you come to this school to "work hard- and play harder" I think you will find you belong to the majority of us here. We are America's future- but we don't take our lives so seriously that we forget how to have fun. We're still young- and just because we're growing old- does not mean we are forfeiting our right to grow up. When I throw my cap in the air this spring, I will not regret a single thing- because this experience has made me the person I am- and I walk away with confidence that UNH has prepared me for the real world at large.

UNH can seem daunting at first because the campus is widespread and there are a lot students. Initially, I thought that by being here, I'd be missing out on a sense of community. However, I quickly learned that the very thing that I'd always seen as the worst aspect of UNH is actually the best aspect of UNH. Going to a big school gives you a chance to meet a lot of people and have a wide range of experiences. Sometimes I feel like I meet someone new every day. It's also really cool to know that there are clubs dedicated to everything from intramural sports (broomball-a sort of hockey with brooms-is huge here) to juggling. Because college is about moving out of your comfort zone, some people are scared to try new things to meet new people. At my freshmen orientation, I noticed that all of the kids who went to high school together tended to clump together. UNH has a lot of kids who are in-state, and a lot of them have chosen to hang out together instead of meeting new people. A lot of them also go home a lot. If you are in-state and you get homesick, however, your best bet is to not go home. The only way to get to know UNH is to be at UNH, of course. During my first semester, I went home a lot. I really did myself a disservice by doing this and missing out on some good times. Ever since then, I only go home for winter break an d Thanksgiving. That's the only way to break through the daunting barrier of a large student body and create your own community. There's a lot to do around here. Living in Durham means living on New Hampshire's seacoast, which is a fun area filled with tons of music venues, places to eat, and places to shop. All of this is accessible by the free university bus, which I am really grateful for (despite the rumor that a girl got free tuition after one hit her). Durham is fun too, mainly because of all the people you can meet.

UNH has a large population. Sometimes it's ridiculous to think we house so many people in such a finite location. Durham is not a big town. There is a middle school and elementary school up the road, and kids walk around town just as much as adults and college kids. Sometimes the amount of students can be overwhelming, not only for other students, but for the programs as well. I recently changed my major because I felt I wasn't being cared for in the program I had applied for. I felt like a number. It was like I had no identity, and no one cared about my plans or integrity, or my wanting to do things my own way. In that sense, sometimes it seems like there are too many people here. But outside of the educational flaws, the town itself is very quaint. There is a single strip of shops, and a very dated plaza, and too many pizza places for one town. But the buses run frequently enough to take you to Dover or Newmarket when you need to expand your horizon a little. UNH is prideful in it's sports and academics. Hockey games are a big deal around here, and musical events really help to pull the community together. I think most people who go to UNH love it here. Parking, however, is a topic that gets many people frazzled. It seems that there is never enough parking, or it is too expensive, or the parking lots are in inconvenient locations. Parking is the biggest complaint on campus, hands down. Recently we've had four reported car thefts, and I think some good will come of that. The university will have to reevaluate their parking procedures, lot location and surveillance. UNH is a safe place, but this event has gotten some people worried. Why? It is pretty anomalous.