University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

One of the best things about UNH is the students that go here. The majority are really kind, friendly, interesting and funny. I would change a lot of administrative and bureucratic decisions, specifically on housing and underage drinking. The school is just right, big enough that you can always meet new people, but small enough that it feels like a community. People react well when I tell them I go to UNH, being from the Northeast, many people have gone here, or know someone who has gone here. I spend most of my time either in the MUB, or the library, or my appartment. Durham is definitely a college town. The administration leaves a lot to be desired. Their policies on housing and underage drinking are way too strict, and a lot of good students and people end up being punished. There is also a really bad housing shortage. Also, registering for and switching classes is always a complicated ordeal. The advisors could be better. The biggest recent controversy was probably the fact that there might be no classes being offered this summer. Yes, there is a lot of school pride. The extremely high rate in which people are evicted from housing is unusual. One experience I will always remember is being a part of a UNH A Cappella group. The most frequent complaints are about the bureaucracy and administration of UNH.

Best thing: Many different options, whether it's food, friends or a major, you have plenty to choose from while still being in a small town. People think that there's nothing to do in a small town but we have buses that go to the surrounding cities and then we have a train that goes to portland or boston. So really there is always something you can be doing. I know when I was in high school people didn't think that UNH was a good school, but now it's getting harder and harder to get in and the people who told me it wasn't a good school are now trying to come to graduate school here. I spend a lot of my time in my apartment or out and about in dover. Students complain that housing and the unh police are always trying to get people in trouble but really as long as you're following the rules you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you're throwing a party at 3 am any where in the world i'm sure you'll get in trouble, it's called disrupting the peace. Unless you live 5 miles away from your neighbor I would suggest getting used to respecting the noise level. Worst thing about UNH is that they spend 60,000 dollars on an ugly cat and people seem to need to ride and take their picture with it when theyre drunk.

UNH is amazing. It is just big enough to meet somebody new everyday, but small enough that you can hang out with your own clique if you want to. I was the only person from my graduating high school class to go to UNH. It was great coming by myself, because that way I knew I would have to meet new people and not just depend on high school friends. People think UNH was a random school for me, but when I go home over break, I'm the only one bragging about my school. None of my friends love their school the way I do. The best things about UNH are the campus, and the people. The campus looks like something from a postcard in the fall. You know you're at a New England school when, in the winter, people ski across campus and build snowboarding jumps all over the place. During the warmer seasons, a lot of people spend their time outside. Some professors even opt to teach their classes outside on the really nice days. UNH has a lot of pride, especially when it comes to our sports teams! We're a huge hockey school and there is definitely a feeling of competition in the air when schools like U.Maine come to town.

The best thing about UNH is the campus - its gorgeous and easy to walk around, lots of new renovations, bright, grassy, its great. If I could change one thing it would be the dorms - some of the newer ones are nice, but there are a ton of shitty ones all around campus that should be redone. The school's size is just right, its big enough that you can ALWAYS meet new people, but not too huge, and you always bump into people you know. People say UNH is a great school, most people I meet have either gone to or known people who went to UNH so there's always something to talk about because our students are so far-reaching after graduation. I spend most of my time on greek row in my sorority house, or in the MUB (the main building) doing something or another for the sorority. Our town is definitely a college town, being a small one in new hampshire - the main drag through the center of town is dotted with dorms, and other UNH buildings. Durham basically is UNH. Theres a lot of school pride-- especially at hockey games when people go all out with UNH gear and face paint. UNH is pretty much a big deal.

-Alot of opportunity -I think that the school focuses too much on underage drinking and getting students in trouble for it -just right: size -they agree, the university offeres so much -mub, horton -college town -getting more difficult each year, unh is a great school, and should not be a "safety" school, so I think administration is on the right track -parking, always will be until changed, parking fines are out of control, and unh should offer free parking on campus- a parking garage should be highly considered in B Lot or C Lot -Yes, I seem to think we have alot school pride -nothin unusual that comes to mind -Greek Life and Alpha Phi -parking and arrests/housing issues for drinking- are both out of control and something needs to be done to tame these issues-there is much more to worry about than college students drinking, and how the students are treated (arrested/evicted from housing) is ridiculous and no student should be treated like that by the university; also the parking fines range from 50-150 dollars during winter parking ban and other ridiculous reasons. -

I think UNH is a great school. Some feel overwhelmed by the size, but for many it is not an issue. One thing I'd change is the cost. As a low-income out of state student, UNH's cost was scary. I was lucky enough to recieve very generous fiancial aid, but not all are that lucky. UNH gets the least help from their home state's government in the entire country, and it shows. The school is amazing, but if the tution was lower I think a more diverse set of students would be applying to the university. Durham truly is a college town. It is a quick walk to the downtown area, with many stores, a small grocery store, the post office, and even a Dunkin' Donuts is within walking distance. The biggest controversy on campus right now is the strike teachers want to innact for the summer classes. There is a great deal of school pride when it comes to athletics, but in general people are not as passionate about the school in general as they could be. One thing I will always remember about UNH is their hesitancy to call snow days. I have walked, swum, slipped, trudged, and anything in between.

Going to UNH I thought it would be too close to home and too large or a campus. The 45minute drive back to Goffstown, NH is just far enough that I can go home whenever I want. As soon as I joined Alpha Phi, the campus went from too big, to almost too small. Joining the Greek community was the best decision I ever made as a freshman. I did not want to do it at all, but I tried it out and am happy I did. The Greek community is a family away from family and I have never doubted my decision since the day I got my Bid into Alpha Phi. The only thing I hate about the UNH campus is the limited parking and amount of tickets my dear friend, Ed the Officer, gives out on a daily basis. I also absolutely hate the size of the gymnasium at the Whitt. It is far too small for the massive amounts of students that are enrolled. Other than those two things, the UNH campus itself is beautiful and the newer academic buildings are incredible. It is close enough to the city, ski mountains, and only 20mins from the beach.

UNH is a perfect size campus. It is not too small, but it is not overwhelmingly large. When I tell people I go to UNH, they say "wow its beautiful up there." I spend most of my time on campus at my sorority house off campus, in the MUB, at McConell where the Whittemore School of Business is, the Whittemore Center where the fitness center is, and downtown with the shops and restaurants. Thought Durham is a small town, I would say it is known to be a college town. I feel UNH administration are friendly, down to earth people who are understanding and love their jobs. The biggest recent controversy on campus is a recent series of car thefts. Due to the big sports of football and mens hockey, UNH has a lot of school pride. One experience I will always remember is my first UNH football game, where the crowd went nuts each time we scored a touchdown. The most frequent student complaint is how many departments are over-enrolled, so it is difficult to get into the classes you want to take before they fill up.

I think UNH is the perfect size small enough that you will recognize people walking down the street but large enough where you can meet new people everyday. Durham is a college town, UNH is basically all of Durham and you are only going to see college students I find it strange to see older people downtown. Hockey is huge on campus and football is increasing in popularity every year. Everyone goes and tailgates before games and most people get to drunk to even make it to the game. The UNH cops are strict the Durham cops are not too bad, apparantly there is a distinction but I say cops are cops. Ever since UNH was named number 7 party school the amount of cops patrolling campus thursday nights through sat is outrageous. The biggest student complaint is the lack of parking...there is none and if you get a ticket they are a hefty price. UNH won't build a parking garage because they think it will take away from the beauty of campus and it will no longer be a "walking" campus.

The best thing about UNH is that although its a pretty big school, you can make it as big or as small as you'd like. Greek life has had a major impact on my life and I don't understand what the university's reasoning for trying to remove them exactly is. The housing and financial aid at this school are the most ridiculous things I have ever experienced. Rent for one person would be cheaper to live in Boston then to have an apartment in Durham. You would think the amount of money you're paying that you would be living in a mansion, instead they are dirty, old, disgusting shacks. The school gives you absolutely no money for financial aid; the middle class gets nothing so you're only hope is to maybe have parents who are divorced. I would change the school's location. Even with this location and mostly nothing around, you would think there would be more places to park, or even the places that are around didn't cost an arm and a leg. I wish it was closer to Boston.