University of New Hampshire-Main Campus Top Questions

Derek

I would tell myself that it is not about the name of the school that defines a student. The definition of a student and determined by dedication and perseverance. If you want to go to a state university, go there. If you want to go to a private school, give it a shot. Put in the hard work while at your undergraduate facility and you can get in to graduate school. Graduate school will get you to the goal you want to achieve. Knowing that an undergraduate education is just a middle-man between high school and graduate school, it will make for a less stressful path as long as determination and hard work is present throughout all of your education. Go to school to learn. There is a lot of paths that can lead down an easy road that will eventually get you nowhere. Take the path with some extra work and you will be greatly rewarded for it when you are ready to take the next big step.

McKenzie

I would tell myself to pick a college that offers a lot of majors that would be interesting just in case the current major is not something that is interesting.

Hello senior me, I hope you are applying for a lot of scholarships this year! They will really help once you get to a 4 year university. Going to community college for a year before attending a university was a smart choice that saved thousands of dollars, however applying for more scholarships would have helped keep the loans away even longer. You know how in debt you will be after 8 years of school, don't you? Work hard now so some of the burden is lifted. In college there are so many opportunities that will come your way. Do not pass them up. Look into every internship, research opportunity, or animal experience that comes your way because those will increase your chances of being accepted to vet school exponentially. Most importantly, stop stressing about the small stuff, focus on your goals, and always work hard.

Make sure that you research your prospective major. Look at salary trends, industry growth, and how likely you are to get a job out of college. Also research how available your careers is in your area and consider whether or not you would be willing relocate in order t do the job you like. Don't let all of the pressure of choosing a school and a major rush you into making a decision.

After having been recently conferred my degree, I look fondly on all aspects of my undergraduate career. I utilized many resources that the university offered, such as the great faculty, the Center for International Education, the library, and the campus housing. When I look back on my undergraduate experience, I truly believe that I got the most out of the university, although I could have done it with less stress. For as much as I enjoyed my college experience, I felt that the majority of it was work, and not play. This is understandable, considering that college is an expensive investment, but I believe I could have been even more productive if I allotted more free time for myself. There are so many opportunities and experiences available at college and it is very easy to forget about the little things in life that make you happy. My wisdom to my highschool self is to remember to hold closely the things that you love in life: your interests, your new friends, your old friends, and most importantly, your family. You may be able to push yourself past new boundaries, but these lifelines will allow you to persist through the stressful times.

Kirsten

As I look back on myself as a senior in high school I remember that I was excited to leave and start a new chapter in my life. As that time grew closer I became more nervous with the anticipation building inside of me. There were questions running through my head like "Will I be able to make friends?", "Will my classes be too difficult?", or "How will I balance it all?" Well adivice I would give to this nervous high school senior would be to relax. It is scary to be alone in a new place not knowing anyone or how things work but everyone is in the same situation. First every incoming freshman needs to make friends so dont worry that you're alone because you will not be. Second classes will be difficult but relaxing and going in with a possitive attitude about learning will help carry you through. Finally balancing it is the hard part. There will be times that you want to give up in the beginning but once you get into a routine everything will come easier. Just take a deep breath and relax it will all work out.

Gwen

It's greatly that you're outwardly pumped to be escaping your small town, but I know actually you're terrified of uprooting yourself from everything you've known for the past 16 years and being on a campus of 15,000 people you've never met. Six months after you graduate, you won't even think about it. You'd be surprised, but most of your peers are in the same boat. No other freshmen in college are fully aware of what's coming in their first year; some will fail classes, change majors, drop out, transfer, go home every weekend, staying up all night to finish essays, and even cry in the shower. I would say don't worry, but with all your panicking and internally screaming every few minutes, you actually wind up more than okay. So, keep fretting, but each time you tell yourself you can't do this, can't succeed in school, can't get out of your very thick shell: realize the problem is very small, and you are a lot bigger than you think.

Drew

If I could step into a time machine and go back to the day I graduated high school to strike up a conversation with myself, I imagine the conversation would go along the lines of this, "Hey, congrats on graduating, looking handsome as usual by the way. But I think we should talk about the next year of your life, mind sitting down with me? You're going to be presented with a lot of new experiences in the next year. But above all you should prioritize your schooling over everything. You should definitely go out and have fun and make memories with the new people you meet, but at the end of the day, maybe study for another hour, or make flashcards and do your homework instead of playing Xbox with your friends. There's alot of money put into this, and you and I are expected to do big things. So why don't we take the high road and put ourself in a position to succeed out there. Because looking back, how cool you are at a party doesn't equate to you getting more job opportunities once your out of school."

Who will I be friends with? How will I find my classes? WIll I be lost in this huge lecture hall? What will it be like with a roommate? Will I feel comfortable being this far away from home? These were just a few of the questions that ran through my inexpereinced and innocent mind as a high school senior. Now a year later I have all these answers to tell myself as a high school senior. The advice and direction I would tell myself as a senior to take would be to indulge in the whole college experience. Do not be afraid to go up to a new person in your residence hall and introduce yourself, or talk to someone you do not know sitting next to you in class, and become involved immediately. The best way to meeting new people like you are the ones who are interested in the same activites. I really want to stress to not become a follower and become friends with people that will lead you down the wrong path because it is what seems comfortable in the beginning. You are on your own, show and be the best person you can be.

There are many pieces of advice I'd give my high school senior self. First and foremost, I would have looked into other schools and the cost of tuition for each. I wanted to go to a school close to home and I (too) quickly zoned in on this one. I didn't look into costs or how much debt I'd be in (unfortunately). I would have told myself to explore careers first before picking a major, as well as peruse all of the majors and courses offered at prospective schools. Once you are in a major for a few semesters, it is difficult to make up for lost time if you decide you want to pursure something else - waste of time, waster of money. Finally, I would have told myself to evaluate my financial situation, and to become more involved with the processes of money, such as loans borrowing. Simply, I wish I had been more educated in choosing the path to my "education."

When I came to college, I was scared. I knew that the transition would be hard, and that it wouldn't be anything like the high school life I was used to. I think the most important thing I would tell my past self is that it isn't as bad as you thing it going to be. Sure its scarry to be on your own, and you're going to miss home and our pets, and our huge bed, but we are going to make new friends, get a fantastic job, get grades that were just as good as the ones we got in high school, and try all new things. Branching out like we will have to is hard and a daunting task when you think about it, but its something we really need to grow as a person and its going to be a lot more fun than it seems right now. So basically, I would tell myself not to freak out. Things are going to be okay if you just keep flying.

I would give myself the advice of really pushing to get that high honor role status and keep up the motivation all throughout the year. For one, it feels wonderful to recieve that award and secondly, colleges really like that motivation in a student. I would also tell myself to not be afraid to try new things and stick with them. I would have told myself to not focus on the negatives that will come in the next year the a large university in a state far away. I would have told myself that its okay to be homesick and that i wouldnt regret staying in the furture. If future me didnt listen, i would tell myself that transfering is okay, and that when i do it it will be difficult. In the end, i would say, everything will be alright and i will succeed wherever i go. Just keep pushing onward and reach those high goals.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to base my college decision on the important things in life. I would tell myself to attend a school where I feel comfortable to be myself and where I can reach my full potential. I would tell myself to choose a school that does not cost a lot of money for many reasons: so that Dad can take more than a day off here and there to be home and to stay healthy; so Mum has the money to quit her waitressing job and open the restaurant she has always wanted to; so that I can save more of the money I make at work to help pay for life after college and to try new things. I would tell myself to attend a school close to home in order to spend more time with my family, but also a school that offers opportunities to explore. I would tell myself to attend a school that is not an end within itself, but which is a means to an end, one that teaches how to build a happy life.

“WAKE UP! What are you waiting for? There are so many scholarships out there that you could be applying for! Don’t slack now! Time is ticking fast!” These would be the first few sentences that I would lecture to myself. I never did realize the importance of applying to as many scholarships as possible until it was too late. The value of a single scholarship can easily be overlooked by a paper or response that’s required. This perspective is pure laziness and unfortunately, the exact attitude I fell into senior year. I was too lazy to look into scholarships that could have saved me thousands of dollars and is something I still regret today. Looking back now I would tell myself to take those opportunities that could have benefited me more significantly. I would tell myself to be careful, to not mess around in college, and to take in as much as possible. Time is something that no one on this Earth can get back. It's the most valuable thing. So take time to study hard, make good decisions, and apply to as many scholarships as possible. Don’t miss out on the opportunity scholarships provide.

Govinda

In this response i am using YOU to describe and advise myself!: You are doing great, keep doing it. The information that you recieve in your senior year is very vital and very true aswell. Dont get your counselors and teachers wrong, they are there to help and whatever they advised is very important. Dont get mad with your teachers when they cut off your points on a late assignment because in college thats not even possible: if your assignment is late than its not accpetable. Be ready to put lots of effort. You cant study a night before the exam and possibly know everything and get good grades on it. Make a habbit of studying little bit everyday and getting ready for anykinds of assesments. Dont overwhelm, its better than what you expect to be but you just need to put some effort to make it the best as it can be! Again dont overwhelm yourself, what you are doing is great and thats a start to the next step of your college life!

It's like looking into a foggy mirror. As I think of myself as a high school senior there was still so much I needed to learn. I was focused on having fun. I was fearful of leaving home. I let my friends make the majority of my decisions. I wasn't ready to handle the so called "real world"; but I needed to step out of my comfort zone. The advice I would give my near adult hood self would be to realize whats truly important in life. Education, family, being self reliant, choosing to be happy despite our circumstances, those are the things that would matter in the end. I had this false conception that I had to fill my life with things and people who made my life enjoyable for a matter of a few hours. When in reality I was just digging myself into a deep whole of unaccomplished dreams. I would tell myself to not be fearful of change because its shapes us into a contributing member of society. To go out and work hard and one day you will accomplish all you've dreamed.

Sydney

If I could talk to myself as a high shool senior I would tell myself to calm down and take a breath. Don't arrive at college and jump into everything, give yourself time. Believe it or not, it's harder to have a full schedule with clubs and sports in college than it is in high school. Give yourself time to adjust, it's not easy to adapt in a week or so. Don't panic if you don't have as many friends as you used to. You don't see everyone all day in college, we all have vastly different schedules. Say hi to that stranger, just please do it. If it doesn't make their day and they think you're weird, who cares? There are no appearances to keep up with in college, some people like ice cream on their hot dogs and that's okay. I know everyone says this, but get to know at least one professor, seriously. You'll never guess how many interesting stories they have or how much they can teach you in one conversation. Lastly, I want you to accept yourself because that's who you're here for.

I would try to get to know more people. I kinda of hung around with the same people in high school. At UNH, I have joined different clubs and tried out for a few that I didn't make. The experience has been world changing to think of some people in high school that I maybe could have gotten to know better. I am more confident going up to people at club meeting or just people in general.

Aida

The best advice I have always received from my Father and reiterated by my middle school teacher is simply, never assume. Those are the same words I would advise myself as a high school senior. This would entail making sure to have all your ducks in a row and read every single piece of information you can. The college experience is optimized when you are aware of all your opportunities, academic and extracurricular. Learning is not limited to the classroom. Do not assume you will get informed about all the opportunities and find them yourself. That being said, the most rewarding and beneficial experiences come when you least expect it. If you are making the effort to get the most of it the opportunities will come. The transition goes smoothly with a good attitude and willingness to find something new. College helps you understand yourself and it is important from the start not to be afraid to look in the mirror. I reflect back on my experience positively because I allowed myself to learn more than what is in the books and I advise you to do the same.

Ashlyn

If I could pass a message to my high school senior self it would be to search for scholarships and grants sooner. By looking earlier in the year your options are wider as deadlines vary greatly from one scholarship program to another. One of the biggest frustrations in school is figuring out how to afford to pay for the large tuition bill. Having more financial aid would allow for the school year to be more enjoyable instead of having to work as much as possible to be able to pay for the textbooks, tuition, and other fees that come with being a college student in todays world. Though it may seem near impossible to pay for college, I want to pass the message it is possible, just seek help from guidance counselors, teachers, people who have been through college, and the internet to find sources to help you be successful and be able to earn a college degree.

Sacha

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I could spend hours talking about all the lessons I've learned and how much I've grown up. I would tell myself, "Sacha, take more time for yourself. Stay focused on your studies and expand your social group. Go to the sports game and have lots of fun at prom - go with the girls! Work hard but have more fun, make memories. But remember to keep the grades up, hard work pays off. Don't make your life all about one person, spread your love to others who need it too - especially to yourself. Definitely save your money! You're going to need it and there's no need to spend on stupid things now that you already know you don't need! You're going to be alright, just remember to stay true to yourself and you'll be even better." There is so much more I could say to myself if I could only go back, but those are a few of the important things I would really want at the top of the list.

College isn’t just meant to give you an education and a degree. You'll get the most for your dollar and the most out of your college experience by living on campus. Check out all the clubs and activities you are even remotely interested in: the intramurals, greek life, multicultural clubs, the hiking club, the muffin club (and there will be some crazy/awesome ones like this), whatever. Go to the gym, use the athletic facilities, take the free aerobics classes. Watch free films in the theater. Go to parties with friends, and meet new ones. Come junior year, start searching for internships. Use the career center to help you find them, to assist you in producing a killer resume and cover letter, and much more. Get a work-study job and scour the internet for grants and scholarships (the financial aid office can help you with this, as well). ALL FREE AND WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE. It all comes down to being proactive and putting yourself out there as much as possible. It took me two wasted years commuting from home to figure this out, so, please, don’t make the same mistake your future self already did.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would remind myself that everything takes time, and to remember there's a reason people attend college. Entering a university such as UNH can be overwhelming and it takes time for friends to develope. Don't lose hope or sight of who you are. There are so many different types of people on campus that will appreciate you for yourself. With that being said, remember that you're here to learn. College is the most expensive piece of paper you will ever buy; make the most of it. Pay attention in class, go to bed early if you have an exam, and stay in some nights as a refresher. Your body will thank you. Don't get caught up "partying" the first few years; when graduation rolls around, people will want that Honors cord. Also, invest in relationships with your professors, try something new, and go after an internship - your resume and references will get you a job senior year when everyone starts freaking out about "the end." Save your money, you'll need it. And make memories you'll always want to remember.

Cathryn

Stop worrying. I know all you can think about is finding the school that is the perfect fit for you. The reality of it is that no school will ever be the perfect fit. No matter what school you choose you will go through a period of adjustment. You might feel uncomfortable and out of your element for a while, but this is natural. You will make choices about who you want to be and what you want to do and soon enough you will find your niche at whatever school you choose. Don’t be afraid that who you are is not good enough in the “college world.” There are wide ranges of people at school, some of whom will become your best friends. Everyone will be going through the same adjustment period that you do, so you will never be alone in your struggles. Stop thinking so much about the future. Instead, use this time to appreciate your friends and family at home. No matter what, utilize and value your time. Time spent worrying is not time well spent, for things will naturally fall into place eventually.

Mckenzie

If I could tell my high school senior self anything, it would be to save my money better, and appreciate the last year of high school as much as possible. As a senior I knew college was expensive, but I didn't really think it would be all that bad. I was wrong. I wish I had saved my money better and been more responsible so I could help my parents out with the costs more. I would tell myself to smarten up and pick up some hours at work because you're going to regret being lazy during the summer. I would also tell my highschool self to relax and enjoy my last year for what it is worth. As a senior, I couldn't wait to just graduate and move on in life. Now that I'm in college, I realized that I should have appreciated the small amount of responsibilites I had. I would tell myself that growing up isn't all it's cracked up to be, so enjoy these times while you can. Even though getting older has its benefits, it also has its drawbacks. So enjoy this last year!

I would tell myself to go with my gut. I knew that I wanted to do something in business and then did something completely different and my grades ended up suffering from it and now, two years later, I am still struggling to get my GPA back where I would like it to be. I would also tell myself to get involved earlier. I made a great group of friends my first year and then didn't really try to expand past those initial few. In the spring semester my sophomore year I decided to join a sorority and it was one of the best decisions that I could have made. Although I still have these great friends, I just made so many friends and feel so much more engaged and involved on campus and it is just a rewarding feeling. I know that greek life isn't for everyone so I just encourage everyone to get involved in something that they enjoy, whether it be a club or organization or intramural or a greek chapter. it will just really make your college experience the most worthwhile that it possibly could be.

Give yourself some slack. I stressed a lot about the fact that I came in undeclared. I wish I hadnt done that, theres more time to decide then I thought. And even then undergrad is a good opertunity to get some ground work for what you think you might want to do but you can always go to gradschool and change your mind if you decide. So just RELAX!

Guay

Be proud of the obstacles you've overcome to achieve your goals, Kendra, and give back to the world all that it has given to you. There is no need to worry about your past or the negative criticism most adults/teachers gave you; your mother's incarcerations, and your father's absence in your life, do not define you or your future - you do. You've already chosen the right path, the better path, by deciding to attend college. All you have to do is believe in yourself and in your dreams. And in those moments when your feel self-doubt and your dreams seemso far away, remember what you're Spanish teacher/Cheerleading coach told you: "You're special. Your gift is your compassion. You care about others and helping them improve the quality of their lives. Never let that part of you fade out! Instead, use it to your advantage. If you do, I promise you will feel the good of people and you will find your place in the 'real' world. And in those moments when you do feel lost, make sure you call me! You are never alone. I will always be here for you."

My advice to my high school self would be to create better study habits early and to retake the SATs. The work that college students do is at a far higher level than a high school. In high school, I was used to being able to procrastinate my work but in college that is not an option. To be a successful college student, it is important to finish work early and work on multiple draphs of work before submitting it. Knowing what I know about the UNH scholarship process I would have retaken my SATs once more and possibly have gone to tutoring sessions to earn a better score. SATs determine the amount of money students receive at UNH, a fact that my high school self did not know. For many college students money is a stressful topic so it is best to do as much as possible to lessen the stress while in high school.

Jannelliz

Organize your time very well! I know a bunch of people are telling you that and it may get annoying but that is probably the most important advice they will to you. Managaing your time will help you learn how to balance your time between work, classes, and assignments. It will also help with getting a good night sleep because with the right amount of sleep you will be able to stay up all day and not take any naps and get things done. Most importantly make sure you have your priorities straight. Yes you want to enjoy college and make friends but you are there for education. Plus if you organize your time you will have time for friends and enjoying college. Friends will always be there however your education is what takes you to places. Just remember be smart and use college to its fullest potential.

If I could go back and give my high school self advice on how to make my transition smoother, I would tell myself to be yourself. I would say that the major problem for myself moving to a new school and having to start my academic life over with new friends, was the fact that I was afraid to be myself around people that I wasn't familiar with. Now that I am well into my college life as a sophomore I have realized that I can comfortably act myself around others because that is the real me and the person that I want everyone to know. I want people to accept me for who I am, not who I try to be. I am now extremely comfortable around my group of friends because I was able to step out of my comfort zone and act myself around others, through that experience I was able to meet people with the same interests as me, and for that I am very thankful.

Karl

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to keep doing what I thought was best then. I know more now then I did back then, and I had made some mistakes, but from those mistakes I learned valuable life lessons that I carry to this day. I truly believe that I would not be the person I am today withouthaving made the mistakes I've made. An example of this would be severely underestimating my first college test in Zoology. I did terrible.... absolutely the worst test I have ever taken. However, I learned from my mistake. I buckled down. I learned how to study for the test. My next zoology test was significantly better. The rest were the top test grades in the class. Looking back I am glad I made those mistakes. I learned the hard way, but I learned well.

Be daring. Dare to surpass yourself, dare to confront others, dare to challenge the system. Push yourself to the utmost limits: no slacking and no corner cutting. Leave nothing half done. Four page paer due? Make it six. Strive to bring the best out of yourself and those around you. Ask the thought provoking questions that have no right answer, and give them rejoinders that only open more inquiries. Raise the discussions that teach everyone something about themselves, and don't be afraid to share your opinions on them. Stand strong against the social biases and normalizing waves of lethargy. Dare to double major, and then dare to minor as well, and then dare to master one of Earth's hardest languages, and then dare to master another, along with Multidimensional Calculus, Thermodynamics, and Statistical Mechanics. Fight your way through every obstacle, let nothing stand in your way, and meet each new challenge with a smile on your face and courage in your heart.

Dear Senior Annie, Going into college is nothing shy of a big change. You leave childhood friends and family behind to start over in a place where you don't know anyone, alone. But, you've never had a hard time making friends anywhere you've been, and college is no different. You are a bright, confident, outgoing, funny, and friendly young woman who is about to become more independent than ever, and you can do it. Hold your head higher than ever. Smile as much as you can and say hello to everyone who comes your way. Study hard, but in advance. Depend on yourself, not your classmates or teachers. Ask questions, be a stand out in class, pay attention. Most of all, have fun. As they say, these will be the greatest four (atleast) years of your life. Dont waste a moment. This is only the beginning.

Susan

Take time, stop thinking that everything about your socail status in high school is so important because when you grab that diploma it won't matter what status you held. During the summer stop spending so much money and thinking that they grow on trees, start saving for the costly books, and start thinking of your educational cost. Stop thinking that you have your own clock and everyone runs on it, because they don't. You need to learn to time manage, mom is not going to be there to tell you what your supose to do and what you shouldn't do. Start thinking about what you want to do, what is really important to you that it's worth the thousands of dollars your going to have to pay to go to college. If college is not for you then it's not, but if it is remember, you went to college to get a higher edcuation, not to party. Your going to make mistakes and it will be ok, but make sure you learn from those mistakes you do make. Make yourself proud, becasue this is your life.

Give yourself time to find the degree that will make you happiest. Happiness = success and if you have taken time to find the right path the academics will come easily afterward. Don't be afraid to work hard and take chances, college is the building block to the rest of your life. Do well, you have unlimited potential and opportunity.

One of the biggest challenges of college is learning to make hard decisions and sacrifices. It is easy to forget to do your homework or hang out with friends. Honestly, it is easy to forget to eat or sleep. Being in college is a balancing act that takes time to perfect. Your freshman year is not going to be perfect. It is going to take time to realize that sometimes you will sacrifice time with your friends to work on your grades and there will be times where you are going to sacrifice your grades to spend time with your friends. I made the mistake of going home every weekend my first year and concentrating solely on classes. I did not make close friends that first year and I believe it set me back. College is a great time to start over and meet new people. The friends you make during college will stay with you; however this does not mean that you should forget why you are there. You are paying to get an education. Do not lose sight of this. Find your balance and do not fear the changes and difficult decisions you are going to make.

I would tell myself to not be afraid, and not to worry about acceptance like I did in high school. In college, students are far more mature and for the most part have left behind the clique-ish/popularity mentality. I would tell myself to take the extra steps to meet new people and not to fear trying out new things or to take part in organizations and activities. I would also advise that I speak my mind, and to not be afraid to talk about my ideas. If I did happen to start to stumble and struggle with the new college life, there are plenty of students and faculty to reach out to who are willing to help you back up on your feet. I would ultimately encourage myself to be open to discovering who I am as a person. In college, there are an inordinate amount of opportunities to work with others and develop your interests and to find out who you are; you simply have to make sure you don't let those opportunities slip away.

Bridget

I would tell myself not to worry about picking a major right away. It may be nice to have a few ideas so that you can take some classes in those areas and find what you really love, but don't stress about it at the very beginning. Many of your friends might have known since middle or high school what they wanted to study in college and do as a career, but not everybody feels that way. That's half the fun of academia in college! Also, don't be afraid to do your own thing. Find extracurriculars that you love, even if you don't know anyone right away. Chances are, if you love the same things you'll make friends in no time. And finally, as cliche as it sounds, don't feel pressures to engage in the social scenes colleges are known for. Do things at your own pace, and have fun the way you want to. Be safe. And finally, enjoy yourself and live stress-free, you're in for the best 4 years of your life.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about what I know about college, I would tell my senior self to never give up. Don't listen to what anyone says about your future career field. If you are passionate about what you want to do, just go for it! There is no one in the world that knows you better than you; so do what you think is right for your own benefit. People may tell you that there is no way to transfer out of a community college in two years, but guess what? You will. If you work hard enough and focus on getting good grades, you will get into your first choice of schools. Don't let anyone or anything distract you in college, whether it's work, or friends, just stick to your education and maintain a great GPA. You will succeed in anything and everything you do, as long as you stay focused and have fun in your college experience. You will not have to worry, for I know that you can do it.

I would tell myself to be ready for independence. In college there is nobody telling you to go to class every day; many professors do not even take attendance. Due dates for assignments are rarely discussed in class. Professors expect students to read the syllabus and know when things are due. In college I am in control of my education, while in high school my teachers were. I would stress the importance of taking action and managing time wisely, not only to complete assignments on time, but also to maximize performance.

Going into college is always about keeping a positive attitude. There are plenty of struggles that will be thrown in your way, home sickness, trouble adjusting to a larger course load, and trying to make new friends. But with the tool of a positive attitude it is easy to handle new challenges and struggles. You will be able to get through tough adjustments that going to school presents . Another important lesson is time management, being thrust into new friends, new experiences, and no parents to keep you in line it is easy to put off school work for social aspects of college. Practicing time management will allow for you to fit in social aspects as well as getting grades that make you proud. Finally college is about you! So enjoy it, do what you want to do, and don't let others actions or opinions hold you back!

If I could go back in time to and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to get involved around the campus as much as possible because although it may seem like a corny school sponsored event it is a great way to meet new people. I would tell myself that I will meet my lifelong friends within the next four years and to take the classes that I want to take rather than the ones that are the easiest are more relevant to my major. I would also tell myself to keep academics my top priority and to search for internships as early as possible. Most importantly I would tell myself to follow the path that makes me the happiest because if I learned anything in college, it is to do what you love, give it your all and the rest will follow.

Dear Tori, I know how you are feeling, and I know you are stressed. You need to know that every high school senior is wrestling with the same problems. You just want to know if everything is going to be okay, isn't that right? Well it will be. As long as you meet deadlines, and keep your grades up. You will get into the college of your choice, make lots of friends, and love college. College life is the best thing that will happen to you. The freedom is scary, yet fulfilling. It pushes you to new limits to try the things you never thought you had the guts to. The transition is not easy at first, you must learn to adjust, but you will make it. You have become a much greater person then you ever thought possible. Stop worrying, it's only making it worse. Everything will be okay, and remember, call Mom three times a week!

Ileana

If i were able to go back when I was in high school, I would advise myself to give all I have, to study very hard, to get the best grades possible and to be an excellent student. Good greats and discipline can open many chances for college. I would also advise myself not to miss any opportunity available, not to be afraid of changes and see life with an open heart. College life is one of the best chances a person can have. It marks and, why not, changes your life. I would also recommend myself to enjoy every single moment of my life as a college student: friends, activities, classes, financial planning, long nights studying, etc. But the most important thing I would recommend myself is to always have goals, to be persistant, to never give up, and to appreciate every single thing my parents and sponsors can provide for my future. In college life, our future is defined and settled.

Leigh

I would impart upon myself the advice to not be stubborn. The college I attended the first semester of the 2011-2012 school year was a great school, but not for me. I thought it would be a great school for me though because in my mind, I built it up to be something more than it really was. Once I found the college, I was set on attending it and wouldn't look at any other college. However, compared to what I had in mind for an ideal college, this college was just about the OPPOSITE of that. If I could go back in time and tell myself to not be stubborn, and to explore all the options that were laid out in front of me, I think I would be in much better standing academically. I have since transferred to another school, and LOVE it there, but if I had only not been so stubborn and explored my options more throughly before diving headfirst into a college I would have saved myself a semester of misery, and tuition.

If i could talk to my high school self, I would tell him several things. First and formost, I would tell him to relax about the college process. When I was applying for college, and then preparing to move into college, I remember being worried about it, and wondering how everything would turn out. As it turns out, the process of applying was easy and moving in and settling into college was stressless and fun. I would also tell myself that I should try to work harder. During my first semester at school, I did not try as hard as I possibly could have. I slacked off and worried about my social life more then my academic life. Because of this, my grades and GPA suffered, and I even had to retake a class to receive credit. After going through that experience, which was fairly stressful to me, I tried harder and did much better in subsequent semesters. I also felt better about myself for doing better. I think telling these two simple things to my high school self, or any other person looking to apply to college, would help to make the process and first year much easier.

Some of the best advice I can think of would be to not let the freedoms you experience in college distract you from acheiving your goals. I have an amazing family and I loved living at home and having the rules and structure in place there. However, once I left for school I realized that I could do whatever I wanted and nobody would ever know. At my school there are so many different activities offered that it can be easy to forget the reason that you are there. My advice is to keep your eyes on your goal and make academics your priority. It all comes down to choosing whether to focus only on satisfying your immediate desires or looking ahead and working hard to achieve a long term goal and prepare yourself for a rewarding and enjoyable career. The fact that you have so much freedom makes this choice difficult at times, but through hard work, exceptional time management skills and prayer you can achieve your dreams and have a lot of fun in the process.

I would have told myself that most college kids are annoying. All they think about is partying and the next time they can get drunk which I find sad and pitiful. Campus life is not the life for me. I would have advised to go to a closer school like SNHU and commute to get my degree. I also would have advised to choose a major that I am more passionate about. If I had done this I think I could have gotten more out of the college experience.

Assuming if I could go back to my senior year in high school. I would advise myself to apply for scholorships, so I don't have to drop an important class I was unable to pay for. I would let myself know that classes are hard to get, espiceally if they are general eduaction classes. Everyone is trying to get those classes out of the way just as much as I am. Assuming I could go back and talk with myself about college. I would advise myself to be calm and not to worry for the reast of the students at the college are just as nervous as I will be. This is all assuming if I can go back to talk with high school senior me.