University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

Being at UNH for only one semester, there hasn't been too many frustrating aspects I have encountered, however a frustration of mine and many others is the clearing of sidewalks and paths during and after snow. None of my friends or myself are wheel chair bound, however, those who are, are having horrible experiences traveling to classes this year. Students offer assistance to those who need it, but many times handicapped students are left to struggle on their own. Just recently UNH and Durham police started a service to help, but paths should be taken care of as well.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the size of its campus. With over 15,000 students, UNH is the biggest university in all of New Hampshire. With this said, it is often difficult to get from class to class with only 10 minutes available, especially if they are on opposite sides of campus from one another. Not even mentioning any unforeseen events that may occur, such as a teacher holding you late or meeting up with a friend. The size of the campus can be a monstrous problem that may in turn interfere with ones ability to learn.

The administrative decisions that the students are not able to participate in...that directly affect the student body. Additionally Professors who are allowed to teach due to the fact that they bring in tons of money to the school thorugh research, even thoguh they have no interest in actually teaching and only due it due to contractual obligations. I can understand if they would rather do their research, but its part of their job to teach so they should take some pride in it, and should attempt to do it well

I would say the most frustrating part of my University experience has been the quality of my academic advisor. Everytime I go see him it's always the same routine; see what classes I've taken, mark them down, address the classes I need to take, quick handshake, and then I leave. My advisor never seems to take an interest in who I am as a person. I wish he would be enthusiastic in helping me furthur my academic goals and provide me with opportunities to gain extracurricular experiences in my field.

The most frustrating thing about UNH is that students are on their own for everything. They get very little help of guidence about what they should or need to be doing for their major and future. It is frustrating that no one is their to help guide me in the direction I need to be going to succeed and be able to go further with my major. I hear about research and internships from other students but I am never told when I need to begin these things or even where to start.

The most frustrating thing at UNH tends to be either the size of the gym or professors that are hard to understand. For a student body the size of UNH's, the gym is fairly small and can get very crowded quite often. Concerning the professor's, there are some that do not speak English as their primary language, and can be hard to understand. They are still very knowledgeable , they can just be hard to understand sometimes.

Over the past couple years, I have learned that the fraternities and sororities are labeled quite negatively. I do not think this is true at all because I have some pretty great friends that are in the Greek system. There are people who automatically judge because of the way they dress or talk, and I think it's pretty ridiculous. I think it's time for people to worry about themselves and to stop judging people so quickly!

The most frustrating thing about the University of New Hampshire is having to deal with the effects of alcohol and drugs. I personally do not use any of those substances, but still have to deal with people who are under the influence. I don't enjoy having to deal with their noise at one or two in the morning or having to walk around campus and see the remains from their partying (cans, trash, vandalism, etc.).

There really isn't much I find frustrating about the school itself, most things are from personal experiences that I know most people haven't had. Besides that I would probably say teaching assistants who are either hard to understand or don't know exactly what we are learning in lecture. Small thing really, something you could find at any college. Also with a little work it won't matter that much.

The most frustreating thing about UNH is that the campus is expanding at such a fast rate. While it is great that UNH is seeming to grow, it makes me uncomfortable that we as a college are taking up so much space and that the goal seems to be to keep developing, developing, developing, new buildings and dorms while there are still buildings that remian in disrepair throughout much of the year.