University of New Haven Top Questions

Anonymous

One frustration for me at first was trying to get a part-time job on and off campus. I wasn't awarded work study and had to beg financial aid for it. It's hard getting a job off-campus (like say the Milford mall or whatnot) because jobs don't really want to accommodate student when they are on-break (winter break, spring break)..... At first, I thought there were job-seeking students than ones available... but I wouldn't let that deter a UNH student..... it's all about being aggressive to get on-campus....go the career center...they will help better tune your resume and educate you and what to say/not to say at a job interview.... check ur emails because you do get emails about the possible position... the school offers what's called a Bursary Position which is like work-study but with work study you can only work up to the hours you're awarded on through financial aid. With Bursary, you work up to 20 hours a week...and work from start of the school year to the end depending on department working under... i knew work study wasn't going to be guaranteed for me next year which is why I applied for multiple bursary position and ended up getting one....

Housing is very limited and it is very hard to get housing especially as a junior or senior.

The most frustrating thing about the University of New Haven is that the tution is very expensive. Most students, such as myself have a hard time knowing that we will be in debt having to pay our student loans after we graduate. Although the university is a great school and privides plenty of help to succed and great professors, I believe that the cost to go to school is very expensive.

The only frustrating thing about the university of New Haven is the universities main focus on its Criminal Justice program. Our school prides itself on our Criminal Justice program, but if you do not go here for Criminal Justice than you miss out on many activities and programs that are structured for the Criminal Justice majors. Not that other majors have no chance to study abroad, but there are more chances for Criminal Justice majors.

Yesenia

The most frustrating thing about UNH is the cost. Every semester I struggle to come up with the funds to cover tuition.

Veronica

There isn't really anything frustratring about the university, the staff is great and the course are made for you to succeed and learn in a great enviroment.

Delorah

The most frustrating thing about my school is that everything that i am paying for does not include my books. Which are so expensive and it is hard because i have no job out here and my mom is having a hard time to trying to help me. Its just fustrating thinking bout it and because i don't have the money for my books it takes time from me studying and knowing whats going on in my class and i am a new student so i dont havr many friend that share the same major as i do.

Barbara

This university is dealing changes from being a community college to a private university. Lack of diversity, the buldings used for housing are under proper living conditions and the housing options are slim to none. Living with Celiacs Disease, I cannot eat the foods the school serves and if the school serves me gluten free food the variety is slime to none. Another fustration is the work-study. There should be more jobs on campus for students to partake in so that students can work for the school and stil be able to pay to stay in the university.

Not very commuter friendly Not a lot of parking

We have a lot of constuction going on. Most of it just finished, but some is still underway. This can be annoying, but it means we have great, new facilities and that we are continuing to grow and expand. Parking can be annoying, as most parking is for commuters and there is not always enough available. There are lots for residents, but you really don't need to have a car because of the shuttles available and public transportation. We also have two rental cars on campus available to students at a low cost hourly.

Ivette

How most of the professors tend to assign papers and projects at once.

I think the most frustrating thing about my school is the book store. I feel that the books at the book store should be not as expensive as they are.

Khalil

having to pay to print at the library

The most frustrating thing about my school is the parking situation and the amount of incoming freshmen. They tend to take more students than are able to fit in campus dorming.

Quincy

Academic programs not living up to their potential

Currently campus housing is hard to get. Many people were kicked off campus in the past year, but they are in the process of building a new dorm with apartment style suites, which will aid in the rooming situation.

The tuition. It is frustrating at times worrying where the money you need is going to come from.

the most frustrating thing about the University of New Haven is all the construction that goes on here. Granted it will be great one day, but it's just really annoying now.

Serika

The most frustrating thing about my school was finding my way to get from school work to the work force.