Albuquerque, NM
University of New Mexico-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of New Mexico-Main Campus

Benjamin

I will let you in on a little secret. Only a fraction of the knowledge you will obtain in college will be from a textbook. With that out in the open use it when selecting your school. You may be asking, "What will I be learning if the majority of my education will be away from class?" You will be learning about yourself. You will likely switch majors way too many times, make friends, lose friends, get hired, get fired, be broke, and make more mistakes than you'll want to admit. You will fall from your nest and just hope that you'll learn to fly before you hit the ground. So what school should you pick? Look for schools that value individualism. They should foster growth socially, intellectually, and spiritually. Visit several schools during the semester to see the campus while it's alive. Realize your potential to change. Even if you think you're destined to be a lawyer don't just look for the college with the best law school because you may miss out on your true passion. When you find a school that makes you feel good, go for it and forget the statistics.

The tuition goes up every year, and due to the school expanding there is perpetual construction.

UNM is a school with extensive and growing research facilities and a medical school that ranks highly. The climate is nice, the teachers seem to care about the students, and it is probably the most ethnically diverse school in the nation.

sean

college is the time where you are going to make dumb mistakes . The only Mistake you can avoide is where you want to go. Sit down and look at what this school has for you. Not only the school but whats around the school. The town and people help make the school. This is where you get to pick what school you want. That school should mold you into what you want to be. So take time and look at everything just dont pick the school thats close to home, big party school , and ect.

UNM dose help students with learing promblems

The best advice I can give is research where you want to go! You must have all the facts you can find in order to make an informed decision about the college you would like to attend. Ask questions and learn as much as you can. Also visit the campus! It would be nice to see the place you want to spend your next four years, or however long it may be. Also, students, live on campus your first year! It is a great way to get to know new faces and make friends for life. Also you will not have to worry about the morning commute since you will already be on campus! Parents take a trip to see you child at their campus. It will be nice to have some faces form home if they decided to go to school in another state or city!

I wish I had known more about their Women's soccer team. I have played for 18 years and counting, and it would have been nice to play in college also. I wish I had met with the coaches, and maybe met some of the girls also. I would love to be part of a team like that again!

The worst thing about the University of New Mexico would probably the price to text books, but then againt what university would not have that problem! It just feels like at UNM their prices are alot higher than they should be, and on Buy Back Days, they do not give much back. I feel they should compensate the students more when buying back their textbooks, or lower their prices. I mean we're college students! We cannot afford $500 on textbooks a semester!

Stephen

My advise to parents and students on finding the right college is to educate themselves on as many institutions as possible. I believe that if they do this, they have a much higher chance of finding a place that fits their needs. I also advise students to make the most of their college experience by finding a group on campus or in the area that shares their views. This will motivate them to perform better in the classroom and also outside of the classroom. What parents need to know about how to make the most of their child's college experience is to not be controlling but to be there for help if needed. They need to remember that college is for their child not for them. They already had that chance and its time to let their kids have theirs.

I wish that I had known more about the shift from grade school to college.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that it is far too liberal.

UNM is cheap for New Mexico residents, something to consider if you intend on paying for a house, car, or graduate/professional school. The campus could have been built in a better part of Albuquerque, though. The size of the school is fantastic because you can have whatever experience you want. If you want to be noticed there are classes of 10-25 people, but if you want to fade into the background and skip class then there are 850 people classes. UNM is definitely the best recognized university in New Mexico, with top academic and athletic programs compared to the surrounding schools. The physical campus is beautifully landscaped, some really old buildings seem trashy, but there are lots of brand new buildings as well. The dorms are disgusting, so most people live off campus. There are plenty of opportunities to take part in school functions and organizations.

The UNM student body is very diverse, so anyone can fit right in. Many students are associated with athletics to provide financial aid. The majority of students have some form of financial assistance, including the Lottery Scholarship offered to all New Mexico students entering a New Mexico university with a 2.5 GPA. This scholarship almost covers full in-state tuition. Most UNM students are New Mexico natives and most are financing their own education while working at least part-time, many full-time. Many UNM students are obtaining degrees that will allow them to pursue a career in New Mexico. Politics are not a major component of campus life.

UNM is a great school for the low cost. If you are interested in obtaining a higher degree, consider saving your money at UNM. The science programs, especially health sciences, are phenominal!

No, UNM is an academically challenging school.

At UNM, as with any other college or university, you chose your academic fate. If you want to be known by all of your professors, go to office hours and ask questions in class. If you want to stay under the radar, that is easy to do. Depending on the size of classes you chose, most will not take attendance but will encourage active participation through questions or clickers (Biochemisty was my favorite class, while History was my least favorite. Most students spend at least 3 or 4 hours every night studying, but some classes demand that much alone. Most students in my department are pre-med, so they are extremely competitive. The biology department is fantastic, offering neat classes like infectious organisms and bioterrorism agents. The requirments for our department are extensive compared to others (like psychology), which are more relaxed. Many supporting courses, such as calculus, organic chemistry and physics are required for a degree in biology. There are many resources to help biology majors find careers suited for them.

Athletic groups are the best recognized and supported at UNM. The athletic facilities are fantastic which makes attending competitions much more fun for students and the community. The dorms are not the greatest to live in, many thefts occur when doors are left open or unlocked. The dining room is actually very good compared to other universities, lots of variety and great hours. They even let you take meals to go, which is almost unheard of. Some dorm communities become very close, I remember playing shuffleboard in the hall with plates we stole from the dining room and a swiffer. It was a huge on going competition on our floor.

Most people think that UNM is a bad school just because it is a state school with a large hispanic student body.

Alexandra

I really think that UNM was right for me for many reasons. First of all, I really like Albuquerque. It is my hometown, and I just really like it here. Second, the school is big and has a lot of school spirit. Overall, UNM is a great school for many reasons and has a lot to offer. Each person has different wants and needs, but for me, I really am glad I decided to go to UNM.

Although I have met students who certainly are not as committed to their education as others, I feel that this is a very negative stereotype that is not true. I have met some very bright and distinguished students while here at UNM, and I feel like my experience has been very postive!

I feel like I have had a well rounded education here at UNM. Some courses and professors have been better than others, but that is going to be the case at any university or college. I feel like my degree from UNM will serve me very well in my future endevors.

I think that there is a sterotype that UNM has a lot of students who are not hard working and do not value their education.

Aimee

Best thing...latino student support One thing to change...parking situation Size...school is just right I suppose Reaction...not much, it's more impressive for people to hear that i'm in law school Time spent on campus...the law school and El Centro de la Raza (great place) College town...not really, especially after NMSU Admin...great group of people but we need more hiring of minority professors Controversy...the one I cared about was when the Mexican flag was ripped down after a 16 de septiembre celebrationand UNM did not do much to discipline the "gentleman" who did it! School pride...NO, don't see it much outside of sports events and burning an Aggie (which seems kind of morbid to me) Unusual...the way admin allows students to receive 3 credits for a class which lasts 2 weeks and does not need much effort put into it. This seems to de-value a person's degree if fthey take too many of these courses. Experience...my extracurricular activities outside of the law school and through MALSA Complaints...parking

Experiences...good overall, except for that flag-tearing situation...very sad. Seems as though there is a lot of racism at UNM Kind of student...minority, especially imigrants and first generation students Interact....some. Could be a lot better Tables...NO idea, that must be at the SUB. Don't go there much From...most students are from NM I think Background...middle class it seems Politics...most definitley, especially at law school, hard to say about left, right, and center, we have a little of everything but mostly conservatives Earning...no, netwroking seems to be more importnant

After being at UNM for 3 years and having graduated from NMSU, it seems about right

Professor...yes Favorite...Evidence and Trial Practice, because it was hands on Least...clinic, because it did not add much to my learning experience study...all day, every day, its law school :( Class participation...very much so Conversations...yes, to the point that Law School admin had to sensor the student forum Competitive...some, but mostly very helpful Uniqueness...Spanish for lawyers, super helpful Major/department...love it. Law School is very intelectually stimulating, we have wonderful teachers, and a range of classes, and a wide range of extracurricular activities and student organizations Time w/ prof...some. Depends on the situation. Probablly two or 3 times a semster Requirements....fine I suppose. would like to see more diveristy in things such as the international business program Geared...seems as though undergrad is designed more towards learning but that may be b/c i'm involved more with the arts and business instread of the technical fields. Law school is a little of both though

Groups...at laww school, MALSA Involvement....over 80 law school members, primary purpose is support and advancement of latino students, very active in community and at law school at various levels. Dorms...no idea Events...very I think. Don't do much of it but I see fellow students orgnaizing intramurals all the time Dating...need more single, male, lation graudate students at UNM :) Friends...through MALSA and classes Tuesdays...studying..law school! Traditions...MANY. Fighting for Justice Banquet, Annual Matanza, Golf Tournamnet, Minority Mixer (all at the law school) Party...2st year of law school, about 4 or 5 times if ever, 2nd and 3rd year get better Soroities...not important at all, they don't exist at law school Weekend...went dancing, horse races, homework, organization of the MALSA 2008 Fighting for Justice Banquet Drinking...don't every drink anyways but I usually go dance, go to movies, hang out at home with friends, etc. Off campus...dance, friends, relax time, read, visit family, play with my puppy, watch TV

That's a commuter school, thus no "UNM comradery"

University of New Mexico-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.