University of New Mexico-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Mexico-Main Campus

I think if you were to take a census on what the majority of the students felt, they would say the UNM campus is comprised of a very relaxed, almost hippie like student body. That's not to say they don't care about anything, but that they are actually very down to earth in their behavior as well as the way in which they dress. I think the campus is one in which almost any student would feel at home in, with the only ones feeling out of place being those that think they are better than everyone else. Home to a number of student groups such as the various ethnic groups, the LGBT, and others pertaining to the particular students interest, the UNM student body is one in which almost anyone can find a place. And although the vast majority of the student body comes from within the state, there is a large population of international students that can be found throughout, even holding special events where you can become more involved. The UNM student body is diverse in a different kind of way, but one in which anyone is welcomed and can feel at home.

There are certain religious groups on campus that come out with conversation-starting displays sometimes, but as a whole, there haven't been any groups that have given me reason to dislike them. The range of students at this school is a rather mixed breed, so I can't imagine a type of student who would feel out of place. Class dress is casual, unless there is a reason for a student to dress differently. If there was a group of tables in the dining hall, I imagine it would be commonplace to see one or two of them filled with students interacting casually with each other, with another perhaps with one or two students using a textbook or computer to study. Most students are from Albuquerque, but there is a surprising number of foreign exchange students currently studying at UNM, which adds an interesting aspect of diversity. Most students are at least cautiously fluent in politics of the time, and I would say they are predominantly left wing.

The students at the University of New Mexico are diverse. UNM is considered a "commuter" campus so you see people from all walks of life. In my English 102 course there was a young lady who was doing a program where she took college courses while still attending high school. On the other side of the age spectrum, in my Geology 105 course there was a n elderly man who had to use an oxygen tank to help him breathe but interacted in class just as well as everyone else. Not only is there people of all ages attending UNM, but people from all over the world. My first year living in the dorms, I met a young woman who came to UNM from China! I also met a woman from Russia, a young man from New York, a young woman from Alaska, and a young man from Canada. All of these students are coming to UNM for certain reasons, but one thing I've learned from all of these people is that they want a degree and UNM makes that possible.

The UNM student body is very diverse, so anyone can fit right in. Many students are associated with athletics to provide financial aid. The majority of students have some form of financial assistance, including the Lottery Scholarship offered to all New Mexico students entering a New Mexico university with a 2.5 GPA. This scholarship almost covers full in-state tuition. Most UNM students are New Mexico natives and most are financing their own education while working at least part-time, many full-time. Many UNM students are obtaining degrees that will allow them to pursue a career in New Mexico. Politics are not a major component of campus life.

As I stated before the students are very accepting of others. I would doubt that any student would feel out of place at UNM. There are various clubs and events that students can join to make new friends. Most students wear casual attire to class, like jeans and shirts. Students are politically aware, and I think that there are predominantly left leaning. However I have seen groups of both students voice their opinion about both political sides, in the classroom and on campus. I have never heard students talk about how much they'll earn one day. I think that most of the students come from a middle or lower class financial background.

Experiences...good overall, except for that flag-tearing situation...very sad. Seems as though there is a lot of racism at UNM Kind of student...minority, especially imigrants and first generation students Interact....some. Could be a lot better Tables...NO idea, that must be at the SUB. Don't go there much From...most students are from NM I think Background...middle class it seems Politics...most definitley, especially at law school, hard to say about left, right, and center, we have a little of everything but mostly conservatives Earning...no, netwroking seems to be more importnant

I have noticed that most students seem to know each other, thus they group together. If you don't know anyone then you better be outgoing because it's not likely that someone will randomly say, "hi" to a stranger. Everyone is VERY spirited. They hate New Mexico State University (NMSU in Las Cruses) and will bark like a Lobo in the abyss during Red Rally (a celebration where you burn a giant Aggie, NMSU's mascot). When everyone is wearing their Lobo gear, you can't help but feel like you're a part of a bigger community.

At UNM there are many different races, in fact, I've met people from Denmark, New York, South America, Asia... basically from all over. Most of the time when meeting these people from different cultures is very interesting and more often then not they are very friendly. I've found that people from other cultures want to get to know me and my culture just like I do them and theirs. Even if we have nothing in common we share a common interest of gaining knowledge.

The students at my school are very outgoing and eccentric. I love the fact that they are more liberal people with open minds about religion, sex, and the economy. I feel that our students are every bit of passionate about what they choose to believe in. Most students are from surrounding areas and feel the same on certain issues, but then there are those who are from the coasts and bring to UNM an entirely different perspective on life.

UNM is home to a plethora of different personalities. The school is predominantly left, but there is still a good representation of the other side as well. Students of all different race, religion, and socio-economic status come together through different campus activities and course work.