University of New Mexico-Main Campus Top Questions

Ray

Students vary. Some are there to party, others are there to learn. It is a standard state school in this regard.

Anand

UNM has great advantages and disadvantages when it comes to our student body.The strength of UNM comes from the extraordinary diversity of students we attract. We have students from every race, religion, sexuality, socio-economic class, and background, creating an atmosphere of varying viewpoints and collaboration. By extension, this means that our extracurricular scene is incredibly diverse as well. We have groups that support political agendas, unify members of a common religion, promote the expression of sexual differences, offer opportunities for the discriminated, and more. However, one of the great disadvantages of UNM is the involvement of students on campus. Due to a large majority of our students being commuters, most UNM students do not participate in our hundreds of student organizations. That being said, there are many students on campus who are vehemently active in UNM's student organizations. UNM is proud to have many students who are first generation college attendants.

Vennyce

I have noticed that most students seem to know each other, thus they group together. If you don't know anyone then you better be outgoing because it's not likely that someone will randomly say, "hi" to a stranger. Everyone is VERY spirited. They hate New Mexico State University (NMSU in Las Cruses) and will bark like a Lobo in the abyss during Red Rally (a celebration where you burn a giant Aggie, NMSU's mascot). When everyone is wearing their Lobo gear, you can't help but feel like you're a part of a bigger community.

Miles

As far as racism or discrimination of any kind is concerned, it is extremely rare, if even existent, since this university strives for being composed of folks from all walks of life, and therefore most people seem to be well acquainted with the diversity here. Despite the aforementioned, if you are a student from a big city, such as LA or from the East coast, you may be a bit surprised at how casual most people dress and how slow/lazy people are in terms of walking, getting to class, doing their work, ect. This University is a wonderful academic institution, but it takes a bit of getting used to if you are from out of state, as people are unfortunately not fashion forward or timely.

veronica

Diverse backgrounds.

It's really easy to make friends, but you can't be afraid to go out there and be yourself; we're not in high school anymore.

Students vary from cold and detached to warm, kind, and generous. Some just want to get through while some are very engaged and interested in their studies. The students are much like general society.

Elaine

My classmates are excellent, hard working students that really look out for one another.

Most are pretty friendly.

Susan

Anonymous. Most of your early classes will be in large lecture halls. As you take more classes in your major, you will meet more people.

Cassidy

Most people are friendly, one you get to know them. Sometimes it is hard to meet people though, especially if it is a large class.

I find that classmates in general are more than willing to make new friends. Though you may feel shy at first, your classmates would like to reach out to you.

My classmates are diverse and intelligent.

Beatrice

My classmates are very outgoing and seem to like to help others when they see that others are having troubles.

Fadi

They are all strange because some of them are really crazy, but I really like my college because they have their own personality

Dennis

I think if you were to take a census on what the majority of the students felt, they would say the UNM campus is comprised of a very relaxed, almost hippie like student body. That's not to say they don't care about anything, but that they are actually very down to earth in their behavior as well as the way in which they dress. I think the campus is one in which almost any student would feel at home in, with the only ones feeling out of place being those that think they are better than everyone else. Home to a number of student groups such as the various ethnic groups, the LGBT, and others pertaining to the particular students interest, the UNM student body is one in which almost anyone can find a place. And although the vast majority of the student body comes from within the state, there is a large population of international students that can be found throughout, even holding special events where you can become more involved. The UNM student body is diverse in a different kind of way, but one in which anyone is welcomed and can feel at home.

There are certain religious groups on campus that come out with conversation-starting displays sometimes, but as a whole, there haven't been any groups that have given me reason to dislike them. The range of students at this school is a rather mixed breed, so I can't imagine a type of student who would feel out of place. Class dress is casual, unless there is a reason for a student to dress differently. If there was a group of tables in the dining hall, I imagine it would be commonplace to see one or two of them filled with students interacting casually with each other, with another perhaps with one or two students using a textbook or computer to study. Most students are from Albuquerque, but there is a surprising number of foreign exchange students currently studying at UNM, which adds an interesting aspect of diversity. Most students are at least cautiously fluent in politics of the time, and I would say they are predominantly left wing.

Catlin

As I stated before the students are very accepting of others. I would doubt that any student would feel out of place at UNM. There are various clubs and events that students can join to make new friends. Most students wear casual attire to class, like jeans and shirts. Students are politically aware, and I think that there are predominantly left leaning. However I have seen groups of both students voice their opinion about both political sides, in the classroom and on campus. I have never heard students talk about how much they'll earn one day. I think that most of the students come from a middle or lower class financial background.

The students at the University of New Mexico are diverse. UNM is considered a "commuter" campus so you see people from all walks of life. In my English 102 course there was a young lady who was doing a program where she took college courses while still attending high school. On the other side of the age spectrum, in my Geology 105 course there was a n elderly man who had to use an oxygen tank to help him breathe but interacted in class just as well as everyone else. Not only is there people of all ages attending UNM, but people from all over the world. My first year living in the dorms, I met a young woman who came to UNM from China! I also met a woman from Russia, a young man from New York, a young woman from Alaska, and a young man from Canada. All of these students are coming to UNM for certain reasons, but one thing I've learned from all of these people is that they want a degree and UNM makes that possible.

Tori

The students at my school are very outgoing and eccentric. I love the fact that they are more liberal people with open minds about religion, sex, and the economy. I feel that our students are every bit of passionate about what they choose to believe in. Most students are from surrounding areas and feel the same on certain issues, but then there are those who are from the coasts and bring to UNM an entirely different perspective on life.

Keep to themselves.

UNM is home to a plethora of different personalities. The school is predominantly left, but there is still a good representation of the other side as well. Students of all different race, religion, and socio-economic status come together through different campus activities and course work.

At UNM there are many different races, in fact, I've met people from Denmark, New York, South America, Asia... basically from all over. Most of the time when meeting these people from different cultures is very interesting and more often then not they are very friendly. I've found that people from other cultures want to get to know me and my culture just like I do them and theirs. Even if we have nothing in common we share a common interest of gaining knowledge.

Biyisola

A lot of people I

My classmates were fun, personable and eager to learn.

Starr

My classmates are determined to achieve their goals.

Gloria

Overall friendly and nice mix demographically.

I don't hang out with most of my classmates outside of class if I didn't know them beforehand, but people are generally friendly if you ask them for help in class.

They are friendly, jocular people and a joy to be around!

Fabiola

There is a huge diversity of people that are interested in getting more knowledge so they can better their careers.

Laurel

Classmates are diverse and include young and old, parents, liberals, conservatives, straights, gays, and everything in between.

Greg

My classmates are willing to become friends and study partners.

Kristi

A small community with common intrests that works together.

Mario

My classmates consists of a very smart, diverse group of people who all seem to be friendly to one another despite the many differences they may have.

Depends on the class, but for the most part they are all driven for their own reasons.

My classmates are a group of diverse individuals, largely from New Mexico, who chose UNM for a variety of reasons that tend to be deeply personal and unrelated to how they fit into a group of stereotypes.

Maureen

I have found my classmates very friendly, cooperative in group projects, and helpful.

My classmates don't have a clear idea of what they want to do once they graduate.

Rita

The people at UNM are very diverse, everyone and every class is different; people don't really judge others, the school is very accepting.

My classmates are generally depressed and pessimistic.

My classmates are focused and comprehensive.

Dedra

Many of the students have goals set and are more than happy to form a study group to help each member in the group understand the material better, especially in cheistry and biology. It is much easier to figure things out when you have more than one mind working on it.

Indepentend and reclusive

Very strong minded, and considerate.

Racially and ethnically diverse. You can find people like you no matter how unique your characteristics of interests are, so one never feels out of place on the campus.

My classmates are friendly and intelligent.

Karra

Everyone at my school does not seem to care about the campus and its activities. They just show up for class and to socialize. Many of them are on scholarship, so they tend to care less about the classes they are taking because it is free.